PDA

View Full Version : big deal for me, told my mom =O!

MentalMercury
06-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Well I'm going to keep a long story short, I am doing a cosplay of a female character at an anime convention coming up and I need help with it. My mom has been making wedding dresses since before I was even born... So tonight I couldn't take it anymore, I just out and told her I'm doing a female character and I needed her help, I showed her all about it, and she was totally cool with it. Then she finally just comes out with "so that skirt that showed up in the mail a while ago, that wasn't for your girlfriend was it?" and I just owned up to it, the whole thing, and she had all sorts of questions and was totally cool with it! She didnt even think it was weird at all and said she kinda suspected it, which I suspected she suspected it, haha. Also to be noted, one of her best friends from before we moved is a post-op transsexual.

Yeah, all over the place, I know.. it's just such a rush.. this has been on my shoulders for a LONG time.

:D

Holly
06-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Mom's can sure be surprising at times, can't they? Glad it all worked out for you MM. So... when are you have a mother-daughter shopping day?:D

MentalMercury
06-01-2008, 12:18 AM
This wednesday we were planning on going to New York City anyway, guess that day will turn into shopping day :D She already has offered to buy things for me but I told her I can get stuff on my own. More like I'm more weird about my mom buying things for me than buying them myself, I still get really nervous! lol

kerrianna
06-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Congratulations! It is so nice when you know they know and you don't have to keep it a secret... or should I say think you're keeping it a secret.

Your mom sounds pretty cool. I'm happy for you. :hugs::love:

Nicole Erin
06-01-2008, 12:48 AM
MM, with your hair and overall looks, I would think your mom's response would have been "...and this is news HOW?"

And then went back to her coffee and crossword.

Daintre
06-01-2008, 01:01 AM
MM, this is so cool, you have one fantastic mom. I hope the shopping day goes well.

MentalMercury
06-01-2008, 01:09 AM
MM, with your hair and overall looks, I would think your mom's response would have been "...and this is news HOW?"

And then went back to her coffee and crossword.

Haha it almost was that way. Not nearly as groundbreaking (on her end) as I was expecting. She's seen me in eyeliner and chokers getting ready for concerts and clubbing too many times for it to be a major shock to her :p

Tomara
06-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Hi MM Glad everything is good with you and your mom , It had to be a huge relief for you to tell her how you felt , and I hope your relationship stays strong with her . Tomara

Chloe Renee
06-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Is it nice to be able to breath without that weight. Glad to hear that it went well for you. I hope this allows you to enjoy the con more.
Your character is Lulu right? I love that Char but hate the game, ok the game is good I'm impatient when it comes to cut scenes.
Lets see some pics after the con. As long as they aren't of "Man Faye"

Angela-Russell
06-01-2008, 02:07 AM
I'm so happy for you MM, you have a great Mom. Don't forget to buy her a big bunch of flowers. Now, about those wedding dresses, I'm sure there are a few girls on here who could use your moms talents xx

vivianann
06-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Kewl. I am happy for you, I hope you let your mother help you pick your outfits, on your shopping day with her.

MentalMercury
06-01-2008, 02:42 AM
Is it nice to be able to breath without that weight. Glad to hear that it went well for you. I hope this allows you to enjoy the con more.
Your character is Lulu right? I love that Char but hate the game, ok the game is good I'm impatient when it comes to cut scenes.
Lets see some pics after the con. As long as they aren't of "Man Faye"

Oh it definately will help, she's going to do an excellent job on this outfit, she already has a bunch of ideas I never would have thought of to fix the size. It is one of the more difficult ones to make. I'm impressed someone remembered which one I'm doing =) I love the game (Final Fantasy 10) and I LOVE the character, her outfit, her attitude, the way she talks. I will definately be posting pictures from the con, without a doubt. And maybe I'll pose with a man faye just for you if there's one there ;) hahaha. I cackled when I read that.

Ayame
06-01-2008, 02:47 AM
YAY! I'm so glad everything worked out for you. =) You didn't kill 2 birds with one stone you killed the whole nest. Your mom knows and accepts you, she is gonna help with your outfit, and she is willing to buy you stuff. That seems like a win in my opinion.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
06-01-2008, 03:03 AM
MM that is truly awesome! Aren't moms just the cool??!! We are both lucky to have such support in our lives. Now if I could figure out how to bottle up some of that excess and send it to my friends out there....
*sigh*

Zara

Mollyanne
06-01-2008, 03:25 AM
Hi MM, Good for you and her also; She now has a "daughter" that she can share some private moments with. Enjoy the upcoming ride, it will be thrilling!!!!

:love: Mollyanne

tricia_uktv
06-01-2008, 03:42 AM
Yaaaaaaaay! Get out there girl, wonderful - says she wishing she was 22.

CamillaCD
06-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Wow, how's that for a mom! I am so happy for you.

Sandra
06-01-2008, 04:36 AM
MM

This is good news, and I bet it's a relief to you as well.

Just remember occasionally to show her how much she means to you.

Wendy me
06-01-2008, 04:51 AM
wicked cool.........MM............. bet your mom knew long before the skirt showed up.........mom's know every thing.............

Majestyk's Lady
06-01-2008, 05:57 AM
M.M.,

Good for you..

As a "Mom" myself, I would have reacted in the same way..we want our kids to be truly happy..well, the majority of us do..some cannot get a Handle on things of importance and what can help our children to achieve their sense of well being..this is not a criticism..there is a variety of circumstances as to why some just can't do it....
However in your case, I am pleased your Mom isn't one of these mothers...

Sounds like your outing and "whatever it is your doing"..{I have no clue of these things..}...will be fun...:)

And although it does make you feel weird..once in a while..maybe,just maybe, let your Mom get you something..it'll tickle her that she can help you in your fullfilment..I love buying my Daughter things..

By the way..like your posts..well versed,very insightful and your pictures..
You are such a Cutie..[Sorry...that's the "mom" in me talking..I know,soon I'll be pinching your cheeks..:D]

Take care,

Bless your Heart and those you care for..

Majestyk's Lady :love:

Laura_Stephens
06-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Wonderful for you! I wish my mother would have been that way. she was opening against anything that was even a slight bit out of the mainstream.

Stacye Rose
06-01-2008, 08:35 AM
MM, Very, Very cool. You must feel much lighter without the weight of THE secret on your shoulders. I know when I came out to my family I felt so much better that it took quite a while to actually get my heels back on the ground. You are extremely fortunate that your mom is such a great seamstress-now take her support and run with it. And try to get over the trepidation about her buying you things. I would imagine the two of you have vastly different styles, but try and use her experience to expand your look. After all two heads are better than one.

Tres Mas Coolness

Di
06-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Wow hon that is THE COOLEST:love: I hear ya a total rush and the weight of your shoulders ...priceless.
Glad you have help now with your outfit too...can't wait to see those pics:D
:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::h ugs:

JoAnnDallas
06-01-2008, 10:19 AM
MentalMercury.... Does your mother really know your a CDer or does she only thinks this is for a Anime Custome. There is a difference.

As for going out with you mom shopping, my wife recently has accepted my CDing and we have now gone out a few times shopping for me. The last time was yesterday. At first it did feel weird but I am getting over that feeling now. Give you mother some time and let her lead sometimes. I have found that letting my wife take the lead has helped us become more comfy with my CDing.

Rachaelb64
06-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Mom's can sure be surprising at times, can't they? Glad it all worked out for you MM. So... when are you have a mother-daughter shopping day?:D

:iagree: Told my Mum a while back got the same sort of reaction :)

uknowhoo
06-01-2008, 11:08 AM
:cheer: YAY!!! SO glad to hear your good news, MM! :cheer:

i like your newish avatar, btw ;)

CharleneT
06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
WOW !!! MM that is great !

It sounds like your mother is a truly wonderful person, and very accepting of you as you are. This is how it should be, although often it is not the case.

Have fun shopping with her, especially because it sounds like she really knows clothing - not a bad person to have in your corner when you are CDing ;)

Can't wait to see you in the "Lulu" outfit, DO post pictures :thumbsup:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlene

Sinthia
06-01-2008, 11:40 AM
This wednesday we were planning on going to New York City anyway, guess that day will turn into shopping day :D She already has offered to buy things for me but I told her I can get stuff on my own.

Don't look a gift (horse) in the mouth. If a female offered to buy me some clothes, I would jump at the offer.

DemonicDaughter
06-01-2008, 11:56 AM
That is AWESOME! Got to love when things like that happen. Just helps reinforce that CDing is perfectly find. :D Your mom, sounds like my mom.

And I agree with Majestyk's Lady, let her get you SOMETHING! Its her way of supporting you and makes her feel she is doing something to help you be the person you want to be. Consider it a belated mother's day gift to her. Trust me, you'll find it will strengthen the bond between you both.

:love:

TxKimberly
06-01-2008, 01:17 PM
I would have to say I think that is one of the most cool moments - telling your mother and finding that she accepts it (and you). Not much could be more affirming than that.
Congrats!

Kristen Marie
06-01-2008, 02:13 PM
What a refreshing post to read. And you handled it so well as having a good reason to ask her help for a costume and she was able to respond to your request with a query she had about you. Somehow I think this will be an important time in your relationship. I'm so happy for you!

Syndi
06-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Well I'm going to keep a long story short, I am doing a cosplay of a female character at an anime convention coming up and I need help with it. My mom has been making wedding dresses since before I was even born... So tonight I couldn't take it anymore, I just out and told her I'm doing a female character and I needed her help, I showed her all about it, and she was totally cool with it. Then she finally just comes out with "so that skirt that showed up in the mail a while ago, that wasn't for your girlfriend was it?" and I just owned up to it, the whole thing, and she had all sorts of questions and was totally cool with it! She didnt even think it was weird at all and said she kinda suspected it, which I suspected she suspected it, haha. Also to be noted, one of her best friends from before we moved is a post-op transsexual.

Yeah, all over the place, I know.. it's just such a rush.. this has been on my shoulders for a LONG time.

:D
AWWWW! That is so cool! I wish I had your Mom. My Mom is a traditional Hispanic woman who will beat me if I came out ,not to mention what the rest of my large family will do(she has 9 brothers and sisters.)

DanaR
06-01-2008, 02:17 PM
This is very cool!

MentalMercury
06-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Whew that's alotta replies! Thank you everyone for your kind words. I think I should take your advice and let her get me something so she can feel good about it, but I have managed to buy a whole lot of fem clothes on my own so far =)

MM

Just remember occasionally to show her how much she means to you.

I do that anyway, I love my mom.

wicked cool.........MM............. bet your mom knew long before the skirt showed up.........mom's know every thing.............

I'm willing to bet she did too, and that can be a lesson to those who's mothers don't know, could be she really does

MentalMercury.... Does your mother really know your a CDer or does she only thinks this is for a Anime Custome. There is a difference.

I spilled the beans completely. We had a talk, she needed to know why and that I don't feel like a girl inside, that I just like to dress up. She really understands alot because of her post-op TS friend.

Thank you again everyone for your kind words :D I wish I could bottle it up too, and send it to those in need.

Karen C
06-01-2008, 09:03 PM
:)thats grate im so glad there are people out there that care and understand i wish i could talk to my mom or someone like that.

matrioshka
06-02-2008, 04:38 PM
MM,

Seriously, good for you. I couldn't even begin to explain this to my family. As much as I love my mom, she just wouldn't get it..