PDA

View Full Version : getting arrested if dressed like a woman

quietone
06-01-2008, 04:44 AM
can you get arrested if a police officer sees you dressed as a woman? 1 officer threatened me as i was walking in this park in a miniskirt and tights and a cute blouse.

Wendy me
06-01-2008, 04:47 AM
are breaking the laws?????.......

Lilith Moon
06-01-2008, 05:22 AM
In the UK there are some "catch-all" laws that can be used to arrest almost anyone for anything. Two laws which might be used are:

"Breach of the Peace"
In the UK the police are permitted to arrest a person to "Prevent a further Breach of the Peace" This law is intended to remove violent or potentially violent offenders from a scene rapidly; the only punishment that can be inflicted by a court for this offense is to "bind over" the offender to keep the peace.

The other one is Section 5 of the UK Public Order Act 1986 (c.64) "Behavior likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress."

That said, there are no UK laws that specifically prohibit somebody from presenting a gender different from their assigned birth gender. There are specific laws banning discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or 'perceived' sexual orientation, but sexual orientation is not what we cross dressers are about...are we ?

Joanne f
06-01-2008, 06:10 AM
The problem is that when you are a male in a mini skirt walking in a park on your own (where children hang out ) they are inclined to look at you suspiciously, it is not the fact that you are not doing any wrong it is that they think you might, so it is better to go with someone or wear something less revealing, just one of the things that we are up against.

joanne

jozee
06-01-2008, 07:41 AM
i suppose if they really wanted to stretch things they could charge you under some obscure law about 'attempting to hide your true identity while engaging in criminal activities' such as bank robbing, but other than that, not likely, in very many places, i wouldn't think

Laura_Stephens
06-01-2008, 07:49 AM
I didn't see where you are from. In the U.S., the vast majority of police officers have much more important things to do such as dealing with robberies, burglaries, shootings, open drug dealing, etc. Cops in a big city have seen it all and would be thankful that you aren't committing a violent crime.

TerriM
06-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I have been going out dressed since 1977. I am also retired law enforcement, as quite a few other girls are who frequent this site. As far as I know there is no law against cross dressing. When I worked in a area there was a lot of crossdressed prostitutes we would arrest them for either Loitering for the purpose of prositution or disorderly conduct. I have been pulled over dressed and nothing was ever said about me crossdressed. (I talked myself out of the ticket , no I didnt tell them I was a cop). My advice is that when your out dressed don't engage in activity or frequent a location where criminal activity is going on (prostitiution, open drug dealing, etc) or this is very important , dont drive drunk, and you should be fine. Thats my two cents.

KayR
06-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Also, if pulled over dressed, don't attempt to lie. Show the police officer your license, and confirm that it is you. In the UK we should be protected by our diversity and equality laws. However, if you were stood dressed surrounded by a bunch of drunken football supporters, you can be taken into protective custody. You can also be, as has been stated be accused of "behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace". Yob rule is the norm here.

linnea
06-01-2008, 09:34 AM
While dressed and driving, I have been stopped by police. The stop was for a faulty tail-light. The officer checked my driver's license, registration, and insurance card, but asked no questions and made no comments about how I was dressed.
I don't know of there being any law against crossdressing in this state, nor do I know of there being any "secondary" offense law about crossdressing in this state.
There are, of course, laws against loitering, soliciting, breach of peace, drunk driving, etc. Doing any of these while dressed en femme or drab could lead to one's arrest. However, crossdressing itself (unless for the purpose of committing a crime) is not a crime. Consider this: many straight and gay women dress in a way that would traditionally be considered male mode; do you think that anyone thinks even once about their being vunerable for arrest simply on the basis of how they are dressed. I doubt it. And that's how it should be.

jaina
06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
can you get arrested if a police officer sees you dressed as a woman? 1 officer threatened me as i was walking in this park in a miniskirt and tights and a cute blouse.

Arrested for dressing as a woman, no.
Now as for dressing as a hooker in a park, that can set into motion a whole chain of events.

kellyann2012
06-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm with Terri. As long as your not disturbing anyones peace you can't be cited for disorderly conduct. Additonally, in order to be have a crime you must have a victim, so as long as there are no victim's to pursure charges there are no crimes. I think the only thing you have to be worried about is the fashion police.

Tomara
06-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I do think society is becoming more accepting of all different forms of personal expression . And with that said I would say that as long as you are not breaking any laws most law enforcement officers wouldn`t be concerned with how someone is dressed as long as some common sense is exercised. (no dressing like a prostitute and standing on a busy street corner LOL ) Tomara

Beth-Lock
06-01-2008, 12:15 PM
This sort of thing has a history, and books on the history of sexual variations often contain anecdotes about such things.
Various laws have been twisted over the years to arrest transwomen or gays in drag. In New York State, it was a law prohibiting disguises, passed to avoid hooligans dressing up as Indians and damaging property, committing assaults, etc., and if that seems an antique law, nonetheless it was resurrected and used in the 1960's, though I do not know if it is still used. Perhaps after Stonewall the police changed their natively hostile attitude towards such matters.
Various jurisdictions likely have similar laws. In the past, the shame of being caught like that, when public opinion was so negative, was enough of a deterrent to citizen complaints or legal challenges, that the police usually got away with that sort of thing. Today of course, things are different.

TerriM
06-01-2008, 12:24 PM
NYC actually had a law against female impersonation until i believe 1968. The Stonewall incident changed a lot of things. The disorderly conduct charge was a catch-all used by some police officers to arrest someone. Things have changed since then and the cops that are willing to jepordaize their job because of their personal feelings are becoming far and in-between. Maybe in a small town there is some rarely used ordinance but as far as I know there is no law in any state against cross-dressing.

Ruth
06-01-2008, 12:51 PM
When I go out en femme I dress as (I have to admit) a fairly dowdy midle-aged woman. Not likely to attract the attention of either the regular police or the fashion police. But if you are dressed up in a miniskirt and "cute blouse" whatever that is, you might possibly be mistaken for a hooker.
I'm not saying don't dress that way, but be aware it may cause unwanted attention.

adelle
06-01-2008, 12:59 PM
hi girlz here in SA ARRESTED? noway! robbed, mugged, stabed and raped yes 100% chance.:sad:

Nicole Erin
06-01-2008, 01:01 PM
In the UK there are some "catch-all" laws that can be used to arrest almost anyone for anything. Two laws which might be used are:
"Breach of the Peace"

The other one is ... "Behavior likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress."

Hmm so if they even THINK you are going to be a problem, even if you have not actually done anything... Don't give these ***hole lawmakers in the US any ideas.

In the USA they *might* call something like that if someone was carrying around a weapon.

Usually if a CD is arrested, it was for something other than CD'ing. You hear about the CD'ed bank robbers or whatever, but the fact is, very few men who dress like women are doing so with intent of causing other harm.
Around here, you can't be arrested solely for dressing up. I have been pulled over while en femme for going down the wrong way on a one-way street. I had to make a court appearance for not having my proof of insurance, but the fact that I was en femme had nothing to do with anything.

Besides, the guy who dresses as a woman to intentionally cause a crime is NOT a CD anyways, not in the sense that a lot of us are CD.

sandra-leigh
06-01-2008, 01:39 PM
My thread, "Crossdressing laws (w/ citations pls)"
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81314
attempted to explore actual laws. It turns out that there are active laws against cross-dressing in portions of the USA. ::Angry3:

christinac
06-01-2008, 01:59 PM
An attorney friend of mine told me that you could be in violation of old out dated obscenity laws (1900-1940's)that are no longer inforced but are still on the books in most states, but other than that there are no new laws on the books that he knew of and in most cases, unless it's a case of prostitution or other sex crime, most judges will throw a crossdressing case out of court as being a waste of time.

DonnaT
06-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Depends on whether there is a statute against it.

Also depends on the police officer. An a-hole could arrest you and charge you with, for example, solicitation. Especially if the park is well known for such. Then it's your word against his/hers. So, never confront an officer, just leave if told to do so.

Megan70
06-01-2008, 04:54 PM
NO!, in the 60's and 70's yes... with antiquated laws. Now unless you are doing something of a criminal nature or are driving drunk there is no laws that prohibit it. At least in my state. New York.I've been pulled over by Sherriff and the tough boys the NY State police for minor traffic infraction, or to check if I'd been drinking. No ticket either time. , although I was given a sidewalk field sobriety test... and passed that and the breathalyzer. When showing the license and being upfront and poliete and saying "yes, thats me, I'm a crossdresser"... there was never a word mentioned about it. It was irrelevant because that was NOT why I was pulled over.
Don't sweat it.

SweetCaroline
06-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Public crossdressing can be a tricky subject. I don't know how it is in other countries. But here in the United States, I figure you can pretty much appeal yourself all the way up to the Supreme Court. As far as I know, there is no state in the US that still has laws against cross dressing, and no police officer wants to be at fault for arresting someone who wasn't breaking the law (they get in trouble for that too believe it or not). It sounds to me like the OP just encountered a homophobic officer.

I can't imagine being arrested for JUST being dressed, anymore than I can imagine being arrested for having pink hair, or a nose piercing, or having long hair.

jennifer41356
06-01-2008, 07:10 PM
not in Texas:love:

JumpsuitBoy
06-01-2008, 09:15 PM
If there's one thing the legal system is good at (at least in the US), it's making sure that everyone is breaking some law at all times so they can always ticket or jail you if they really feel like it.

That being said, I agree that most police officers have seen it all and/or have better things to do, especially if you give them respect and cooperation.

Karren H
06-01-2008, 09:27 PM
If your going to get arested... don't end up on COP's.. I've seen way too many episodes with guys driving semi-enfemme and drunk... lol and getting pulled over...

waspookie6
06-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Hate to butt in...if there are laws against it (still haven't found any specific to just cross dressing) then I should have been arrested many times for leaving the house in:
guys jeans (fit better), old sweatshirt with no bra, boots, zero make up.

Severe case of pot calling the kettle black if someone is going about usual business regardless of how they are dressed. I wonder if it's time to point that out to legislation in all states and countries?

Kristy_Iowa_CD
06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately, a man can get arrested for dressing like a woman, whether or not the charges will stick (and not get thrown out in court) is highly unlikely (the ACLU would probably be all over defending that).

There are numerous laws designed to protect the public peace. I seem to recall a story in the news about a man who was arrested at the site of the WTC towers for an inflammatory speech he was giving. His lawyer argued the NYPD infringed upon his freedom of speech, but NYC arrested him on a law that is designed to protect the public peace (they arrested him to prevent a riot because he was making so many bystanders angry).

So, if an officer really wanted too, they could come up with a charge, especially if you were in a public place and people complained to the officer. I think it is safe to assume that the officer who threatened you with arrest was probably letting his prejudice/hatred influence his judgement.

Law enforcement is a noble profession, but remember cops are people too, and they can have the same ugly flaws (i.e. homophobia, racism, etc.) as any other citizen.

Melinda G
06-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Rightly or wrongly, someone who is obviously a man, dressed in a mini skirt and cute blouse, in a public park, might be perceived as being up to something. You didn't say if you had a wig and makup on, and were attempting to pass, or not. As always, a little common sense goes a long way.
In a lot of towns, gays use public parks and rest areas as pickup places, driving away families and decent people. And the cops may be more than a little suspicious of a man in a miniskirt. Better to avoid a problem, than try to deal with it after the fact.