PDA

View Full Version : You are what you wear

Andrea_girl
06-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I watched a program tonight called what not to wear. A program for GG`s which shows them how to dress. One of the girls said that the clothes you wear on the outside brings out the person on the inside. I wonder if this is true for us as well.

I think personally that she is correct. I feel different dressed and a man than as a woman. I feel more caring, more placid and more at peace when I'm dressed, also more confident.

What do you all think

Shannen
06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
I watch that show alot! It has helped me get rid of some of my nastier fashion blunders!:heehee:

I find that not only do people need to change "how" they feel about themselves... but it can take some coaching to find out "how" to present yourself as you feel!

:hugs:Shannen

Andrea_girl
06-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I would agree with that, but also i feel GG`s have the ability to express themselves with the clothes they wear were as Men do not really have that option, as with the saying IN DRAB

Karren H
06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Nope.... I'm the same no matter what I'm wearing or what gender I'm portraying.... Same person.... same outlook.... always happy, always having fun..

linnea
06-04-2008, 06:27 PM
I think that generally speaking women (GGs) are encouraged to express themselves through their clothing choices. Consider the simple point that women will talk about their OUTFITS; men hardly ever talk about their clothing as outfits. And there is the fact that women SHOP for clothes; generally men BUY clothes. These may be overgeneralizations, but I think that they have a fair amount of validity.
When I shop for my femme clothes, I am very much more interested in the look, the coordination, even the message the clothes may send. I find outfits and combinations of outfits.
Shopping for my drab clothes has become a bit more like this, but I think that for most men, it is buy what you need to fulfill the practical need.
IMHO:)

charlie
06-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Perhaps when GG's really get dressed up, then their personality may show. However, how often do GG's go out and wear a dress at all? My wife wears a dress perhaps once every two weeks (tennis outfit aside). Her usual uniform is about as sexy as my usual work outfit...jeans, shirt, tennis shoes. I dress far more feminine then she does!

Donna Michelle
06-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't believe that you are what you wear. It is who you are and how you feel inside. Even when I am dressed like a man, I feel like Donna. I could be naked and feel like Donna. I do behave a bit differently when I am dressed as Donna. My wife said I am much happier, because I can be myself and express myself.

It doesn't matter if you are a man or a woman, if you dress up, you feel better about yourself. When you are sick, you don't normally dress up. You often lounge in a t-shirt or dorm shirt and no makeup. You look in the mirror and groan.

If I dressed like a policeman, would I feel like one? Hell, no! :D

Sweet Jane
06-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi...whether I am looking like a guy, or a girl, inside I feel just the same. A dress doesn't bring out a bunch of hidden feminine personality traits just as my guys clothes don't make me any "tougher" or brutish (laughing)!!....I do however dress to suit my personality, which is not very outrageous!!!....I suppose guy or girl, I just try to blend away and get on with my life????

morgan pure
06-23-2008, 08:04 PM
When I'm in a dress I'm a different person altogether. Lively, outgoing, witty and the center of attention.
Morgan

TGMarla
06-23-2008, 08:18 PM
It has long been said that "The clothes make the man", or woman in this case. Whereas some here have said that they are the same person no matter what they're wearing, I think it's fair to say that if one is going to make a personality statement with one's clothing, that women have far more choices and variety than men do.

There is a Bugs Bunny cartoon that featured a truckload of hats that broke open in the wind, and all those hats took flight. One by one, they landed on either Bugs' or Elmer's heads, and their personalities changed with the hats. Sure, it's overdramatized, but my point is that the idea of clothing reflecting, or even altering, one's personality has been around for a long time, so there must be some truth to it.

As for my taste in clothing, I buy what I think looks good. If I see something that makes me say, "Gee, that's pretty!", I may well buy it. I try to present myself as an elegant lady with a rather feminine taste in clothing. And whereas that may not be what I'm really like, I do tend to behave in a much more feminine way when I'm dressed.

tamarav
06-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Every time I see this show I think to myself, yes, that's your opinion. I am starting to understand that fashion is what you make it. Each person has their own interpretation of what fashion is, and they are correct, regardless of how far out their idea is.

When I see some really good looking woman on these shows get fashion-attacked by overzealous "fashion experts" I rarely totally agree with them, I may like one piece or a change in an accessory but not generally the whole thing.

Maybe it is just me, but the area you live in and the type of people there also dictate what fashion should look like. Don't get me wrong, I get a lot of tips from this type of show, but much of it is just entertainment to me. Sometimes I wonder if the person modeling the new look is inside just going "damn, this sucks, but these people say it is ok so I'll wear it for this then dump it".

Could be why there are so many of us out of fashion, me especially.

Your sis,

Tami

sterling12
06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Well that quote about, "What you wear on the outside, brings out the person on the inside;" seems pretty shallow to me.

I think that in adults, an outer expression in clothing in no way, shape, or form, portrays the person on the inside. Look at all the "beautiful people," who are good looking and get to wear the fanciest of clothes. Think of Brittany, and a host of others. Doesn't seem to be a lot of "internal happiness" there!

That show is aimed at teenage girls and 20 something women. I think it condescendingly tries to "mirror" their value systems. Let us hope that they will eventually grow up, and see that clothing and body image is not the reflection of self-worth. Gosh, I think we already have enough anorexic "stick insects." No more, please!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Satrana
06-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Clothes are a means of self expression so to a large degree what you wear does represent who you are but there are limitations to this symbiotic relationship.

Perhaps more importantly the relationship between your personality and the clothes you wear is circular in design. Changing your "uniform" does feed back into your personality and shifts your focus to enhance certain traits and suppress others. Clothes therefore can be used as enablers to help us transition from one mental state to another.

So when we want to feel feminine or shun the stresses of masculinity we use clothes as a tool to alter our mindset. If you look the part, you feel the part.

The psychological advantages of uniforms should not be underestimated. They can be used not just for crossdressing but to help us to enter other states of mind. For example if you lack confidence then wear a sharp suit. Want to lose weight? then make sure you wear an exercise outfit so you feel energized to make the effort.

The physical act of changing clothes helps make the mind transition. But to really get the most benefit out of the change in uniform you also have to practice in it, which means looking in the mirror and practicing different body stances and mannerisms. This playful acting helps to cement the change in mindset and focus on personality traits and also helps to build confidence that the new image in the mirror is really part of you.

deja true
06-24-2008, 05:49 AM
So many comment in many threads that it's dresses and skirts that look more feminine, and that women's casual clothes, jeans and tops , just don't look feminine at all....

I wish we could get over this idea.

Each of us has their own idea of appropriate feminine dressing. And no matter what she's wearing, (unless it's out of a dumpster), most women will never be mistaken for men in women's clothes. Even in just casual clothes, most women give more thought to what they're wearing, coordination, neatness and presentation than most men ever will.

Personally, I enjoy seeing well put together ladies in any style they like,as long as they look confident and self-assured and comfortable.

Emulating attitude and poise is much more important than any particular style.

Deanna2
06-24-2008, 08:18 AM
One thing i do know is that my cami, mini skirt and heels make me feel just great.

Angie G
06-24-2008, 08:44 AM
I thimk it true.:hugs:
Angie

Kate Simmons
06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Clothes are part of the outward expression of who we are inside but not all of it. Put simply, it's the person who makes the clothes and not vice versa and this applies to mostly everyone. If someone is a loving and caring person, it's the overall self that people are drawn to really, being dressed nicely notwithstanding.:)