PDA

View Full Version : COMPLIMENT FROM GG's

vivianann
06-05-2008, 04:44 AM
I was in a office with GG's yesterday, and one of them made a wonderful compliment to me today, she told me that she likes the way I crossdress, that my clothes are classy and modest, and the other GG's also agreed, then she went on to say that if more crossdressers would dress modestly then society might be more tolerant, she said she has seen too many crossdressers who dressed too ****ty and she found it discusting, the other GG's were in agreement with her too. I agree with my GG friends also. The lesson I learned from those women is they notice us out there, and if we want society to accept our crossdressing we need to make sure we dress age appropriate and like one of the women said do not wear skirts that are too short out in public. I was extremely greatful to those women who complimented me on the way I dressed, and I was walking on air because I was proud. :D Those women has seen me many times enfemme. I believe if we conduct our selves well and dress modestly, we will have succes in gaining acceptance when crossdressed in public, I will continue to work on setting a good example for our community of crossdressers, and I invite all of you to do the same. Lets get out and crossdress for success. :hugs: Vivian

Corinne
06-05-2008, 05:21 AM
What were you wearing?

Megan70
06-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Were you in drab or enfemme when they said these nice things/? How long have they known? Co-workeres?You never dressed at the office have you. Lucky guy that female co-workers know and don't speread it around to ruin you.

They are correct about many of the things said.We should BLEND in with the crowd to NOT be noticed but be one of them. Thee very important things to not give yourself away are wear agae appropriate clothes, no short skirts for anyone over 30, age appropriate wig. A gay hair stylist and former drag queen told me that real GG's shouldn't have hir longer than shoulder length age age 28, and do not wear a ton of makeup that make you look like bozo the clown. Look around at the malls and stores. Look at real GG's your age and follow their lead to become one of them and you'll blend in fine , not stand out.
Very nice thread. Hope we hear more nice comments like that.

Megan

deja true
06-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Well, yeah, but most women of an age will complain about any one, male or female, who dresses in a style unlike their own.

"Oh! Why do those young girls have to wear their skirts so short?"
Oh! I don't understand those youngsters with that morbid goth look!"
"Look at that woman's low cut top! Why, she's my age! Tsk!"
"That bohemian look is so messy, doncha think?"

I congratulate you on your compliments, but don't let 'em stifle your creativity, hun!

Age and venue appropriate is a good thing, but don't forget to have fun, too!

karynspanties
06-05-2008, 05:51 AM
My wife used to work for a major department store. They had a few cd's come in and shop. One always dressed appropriatly, nothing flashy, over the top breast size or clownish make-up. She was never really noticed until she payed for her purchase with a charge card. It was male and so was her id. But she blended in. Then there was one that would come in, well just imagine the reaction of poeple when they see someone walking through a store with a big, I mean big red wig, bullet bra over stuffed, bright flashy top, short short short skirt, (the lace on her stockings was visible) and what I refer to as hooker shoes (shoes with about 3 inches of sole) and very poor make-up.
This type of behavior to me is what gives cd'ing such a bad reputation.

Jenny Doolittle
06-05-2008, 06:46 AM
I agree. I always try to just fit in. I suppose if a women comes in looking like a hooker or a clown they would be shunned a little bit as well.

Jenna1561
06-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Were you in drab or enfemme when they said these nice things/? How long have they known? Co-workeres?You never dressed at the office have you. Lucky guy that female co-workers know and don't speread it around to ruin you...

Megan

Vivian, I agree with Megan - what were you wearing? How femme do you appear at work? How long have they known and do any of your male coworkers know?

Jenna

Annesah
06-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Absolutly age appropriate while out; well almost. I save the teasey stuff for indoors when I'm in the mood.

Sandra
06-05-2008, 08:12 AM
well just imagine the reaction of poeple when they see someone walking through a store with a big, I mean big red wig, bullet bra over stuffed, bright flashy top, short short short skirt, (the lace on her stockings was visible) and what I refer to as hooker shoes (shoes with about 3 inches of sole) and very poor make-up.
This type of behavior to me is what gives cd'ing such a bad reputation.

I agree and IMO this then give the public the idea that all cders dress like this.

kay_jessica
06-05-2008, 08:40 AM
The subject of dressing in public appropriate to the situation and your age comes up time and time again. The problem is that yes it is important to dress as per your age and to the environment you are presenting in. Kary hit the nail on the head, and it is so true. If you go out please please dress appropriately. If you can't present as a 20 year old then don't even try. You will do more harm than good to the cause of CD acceptance. The general public will remember the guy in a **** outfit for months and laugh about it over beers with his/her mates. However, the girl who was read at the last minute whilst paying will be accepted and respected and probably not even mentioned.

My 20 year old niece is a model/makeup artist (and she does not know about me). She had just started to work in London so she was a little naive. She was working at the Excel exhibition Center in London earlier this year and game home one evening and told us about a group of "Trannies" who came up to her stand and wanted to be made up. Off course she complied but she felt really awkward as they were in her words "a bunch of dicks in mini skirts"). Frankly she was embarrassed. I chatted to her about it after wards and told her jokingly, you'll get al sorts in London so you'd better get used to it. She interrupted me saying it was not that they were "Trannies", apparently she'd done makeovers on several TS people before and was cool about i, but it was that they did not behave as girls would. They behaved ****ty, and dressed ****ty. She felt that they were deliberately going around embarrassing people. Apparently one was old enough to be her father. He was wearing a pvc miniskirt stockings and pink knickers and a bust to make Sidney James recoil.

Some here will argue that a girl ha a right to present how she wishes. Yes this is true, but I think those that do go out should consider the feelings of others and present in such a way as to not cause offense or embarrassment.

Enough said

Angie G
06-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Good post Vivian and good advice my wife always spots older GG's dress way to young or sexy and says look at that skirt is way to short or something about how it don't look doesn't good. So it really shows.:hugs:
Angie

Julogden
06-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm another who agrees with this line of thinking, but there are many here who don't, so don't be surprised if you're taken to task for trying to "tell other people how to dress". There have been some fairly intense arguments about this subject here in the past.

I'm of the opinion that we should dress however we like in private or in a situation where we're primarily in the company of other CD's, but if we want to be treated with respect when in public, then we should dress in a manner that shows that we have self-respect.

In my opinion, the way we dress is partially a statement of how we feel about women, so think carefully about what you're saying through your dressing.

Carol

MsJoann
06-05-2008, 10:33 AM
This old broad dresses appropriate to her age. Bored last night...I dressed in a pretty floral tee shirt, tan capris and white canvas shoes and went out to visit two clerks at 2 diff stores, and ended up at the local gay bar. I figured maybe I would run into another sister, but, I wound up chatting with the bartender and the floor waitress sat next to me chatting. The place was empty. Very unusual indeed.
However the few people that I came into contact with did not bat an eye or make any comments about me. Dressing to blend with your environment works for me every time.

Vivian Best
06-05-2008, 10:48 AM
I was in a office with GG's yesterday, and one of them made a wonderful compliment to me today, she told me that she likes the way I crossdress, that my clothes are classy and modest, and the other GG's also agreed, then she went on to say that if more crossdressers would dress modestly then society might be more tolerant, she said she has seen too many crossdressers who dressed too ****ty and she found it discusting, the other GG's were in agreement with her too. I agree with my GG friends also. The lesson I learned from those women is they notice us out there, and if we want society to accept our crossdressing we need to make sure we dress age appropriate and like one of the women said do not wear skirts that are too short out in public. I was extremely greatful to those women who complimented me on the way I dressed, and I was walking on air because I was proud. :D Those women has seen me many times enfemme. I believe if we conduct our selves well and dress modestly, we will have succes in gaining acceptance when crossdressed in public, I will continue to work on setting a good example for our community of crossdressers, and I invite all of you to do the same. Lets get out and crossdress for success. :hugs: VivianI agree with you 100% Vivian! I'm in my late 60s and what would I look like in a mini skirt and 6" spike heels! I can't stand up in heels that high any more. Any more it's jeans and tops. If we are going to gain acceptance we are going to have to blend in!

Donna Michelle
06-05-2008, 11:02 AM
no short skirts for anyone over 30, age appropriate wig. A gay hair stylist and former drag queen told me that real GG's shouldn't have hir longer than shoulder length age age 28

My CD friend Debbi is my age (over 50) and loves mini skirts. She likes to dress trashy, but my wife is trying to get her to be a bit classier. My wife is 39 and has beautiful long hair. She bought a few wigs for me and one looks much like her hair.

If it works, there is no reason why you can't do it. But if you look terrible, you can't enjoy things. Tina Turner continues to wear short dresses, because she still looks great. I do agree that some people look better in something else. That includes me. I do NOT wear mini skirts, because that would not be flattering.

I dress appropriately for the occasion. I dress like my wife when shopping during the day for groceries. If I was going clubbing, then maybe I could wear my black leather skirt. My makeup and clothes are usually age-appropriate. My mother-in-law approves and my wife usually chooses what I buy, so I have only received compliments.

What I wear at home is another story. Ha ha.

AmandaM
06-05-2008, 11:16 AM
I always dress classy when out and about, I save anything younger or sexier for the home. If you dress like a ****, the world thinks "gay transvestite". That's just the way it is. A hoochy-mama. Ain't gettin' no respect, baby!

Donna Michelle
06-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Amanda, you are so right. I really don't find hoochie all that attractive. Some people cross the line between sexy and hoochie. But some people like to be treated like trash. Don't know why.

vivianann
06-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I was in drab yesterday but I have been there many times enfemmme, I was there for business and was invited to the office to show pics of myself when I went to Diva Las Vegas and other pics of myself enfemme, These women are business associates that I have known for some time now. I have been ou to many friends and associates for the past year, and it is wonderful to to be free to dress enfemme, I wish I was enfemme yesterday, but I had some work to do in the automotive business, so I could not dress enfemme that day. I do have a few short skirts and dresses, however I only wear those when I am at home, or at a party where it is appropriate to wear those things. When I am in public dressed, I wear modest dresses or skirts and tops, and 2 to 3 inch heels. I am not telling anybody how to dress, I was just sharing with you what these women told me, and I am making suggestions to help us to be accepted by society when we crossdress. :hugs: Vivian

Donna Michelle
06-05-2008, 11:38 AM
VivianAnn, you do look pretty in that dress. My wife had clothes like that. I wanted to wear them, but they didn't fit me. It is great when we get compliments from men or women about what we are wearing. It is also great to get some advice, even if we don't always follow it. ;)

JoAnnDallas
06-05-2008, 12:43 PM
If you look at my avatar ten you will notice my dressing style. I am 60 years old and would look silly wearing a mini skirt, tight blouse, and 4-5" heels to the Mall. The heels I am wearing with this outfit are 2" pumps.
I have been told many times that one reason I pass is the outfits I wear allow me to blend in thus I don't stand out.
On Halloween wear whatever outlandish fem outfit you want. On that day no one will care what you are wearing. The other 364 days they will.

Donna Michelle
06-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I dress up for Halloween in costumes I wouldn't wear shopping. I dressed as Pocahontas one year, a biker chick another year. People would stare if I wore that now to go shopping.

Sweet Jane
06-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Vivianann...I couldn't agree more with your postings....

Theres times where trashy is fun, but its important that that style of dress is acceptable to the place you're going. Funnily enough I don't think the High Street is the acceptable place. I can only imagine what people think when they see a guy dressed like that. It perpeptuates the "dress for sexual thrills" assumptions that society makes, meaning they view our dressing as no more than some sexual perversion?????? For me at least, that couldn't be further from the truth.
I just desperately try to dress in a style that many women my age (OK maybe a few years younger too..I'm so vain..hahahaha) would feel comfortable dressed in as well. And as for the rest of the "illusion"????.....well its only an illusion if its believable, so I try to keep breasts in proportion and my makeup as "restrained" as someone with a beard can!!!!
I don't want to be some comedy show aping the trashiest women in society....I want to give the impression of a successful, confident women.

carhill2mn
06-05-2008, 02:17 PM
It is great to receive compliments as to how one looks but, it is especially rewarding to receive them from GWs(or GGs)! I, too, always try to look and act like a lady whenever I am out as Carole. I do usually dress more nicely than many of the GWs but, never inappropriately. Thankfully for we CDs, there are more nicely dressed GWs now than there were a few years ago.
I know there are many CDs that like the "****ty" look but, it would be better for everyone if that look remained at home or at certain "special" parties.

postal_rebecca
06-05-2008, 02:35 PM
WOW, how appropriate...

Anyway, I went out with some friends of mine last month, and although they new I was a CD'r, and have seen pictures of me dressed...they called me a "school marm" because I dress so conservatively and blended in well.

After we did the bar scene, we went out for desert and a drink at a nice establishment. It appeared as though I was NOT 'outted' as a cd'r but blended well with the other customers there at the restaurant.

Also, recently, I showed a picture of myself to a good GG friend of mine, and she has said numerous times..."I cannot believe the change"...and "...you clean up well." So, conservative is GREAT! ! !

Dressing appropriately it VITAL to fitting in our communities....

Vivian...Great thread ! ! !

Rock on ! !

becca

MalibuJenny
06-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I LIVE for compliments from GG's!

It's nice to get them from anyone but when a woman pays me attention or points something out about my appearance, I just melt.

In fact, some of the more meaningful comments came from girlfriends that were not 100% accepting. I remember one -- who still adjusting to this side of me -- said, "Wow, your makeup looks really good tonight." It was really a reluctant admission at the time and therefore I knew it was very sincere. It also showed me she was starting to come around and see the art of dressing. Later, she suggested we both go for a makeover together and actually wanted a more dramatic makeup style like I wore. :)

So, to get the most positive attention I can from women, I dress classy but with a bit of sex appeal. Certainly, if overdone most women won't appreciate that, although men often seem to prefer that style.

charlie
06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes, wearing conservative dresses and long hem lines may look better to blend in. No argument. However, I like wearing short skirts and things that a 25 year old may wear. It is just sexier. It feels better and is eye candy to me. What is a 58 year old man to do???

Fab Karen
06-05-2008, 03:27 PM
There's a grain of truth in this, dressing for the occasion/location is of importance- HOWEVER, to suggest that after 30 ( cue Randy Newman's "I'm dead but I don't know it" )life ends & we must follow Queen Victoria's lead is ridiculous. As I've said before, no-one tells Cher to dress "age-appropriate."
(& to make it crystal clear, we're not saying follow the lead of those clown-***** types in that story of the make-up girl in London )
^ rhymes with more

Denise01
06-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I too feel that one should dress respective to their age if they want to blend in and be accepted.

When I go out, I dress for my age, and also for the environment that I am going too. Up here in the North, it is very cold in the winter, so if one is going to the mall, they should wear slacks, etc, to blend in with 95% of the ladies that will be there. If they wish to wear a skirt, which is fine, it should be a business outfit, if during the day, that would fit in with any lady going to work.

I was visiting a friend in VA, a couple of years back. The neighbour was there who is very accepting. We got chatting, and she told me, that If I had not told her myself, that she would have taken me totally as Female. Made me feel so good.

One other good experience, was in a drug store, and got chatting to the sales person about the cost of prescriptions, in the States. We are extermely fortunate to have most of ours paid for once we reach a certain age.
Mentioned that too her, and she said to me, You are not that old.

Dressing ones age is a must, to blend in, and it was fantastic to be taken as about 10 years younger than i really am

Denise:):):)

kay_jessica
06-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Yes, wearing conservative dresses and long hem lines may look better to blend in. No argument. However, I like wearing short skirts and things that a 25 year old may wear. It is just sexier. It feels better and is eye candy to me. What is a 58 year old man to do???

Absolutely fine if you want to be sniggered at an have fingers pointing at you whilst your audience describe you as mutton dressed as lamb. A middle aged bloke in an outfit bettered suited to a 20 something will stand out a mile. OK Cher is middle aged and she gets away with it. But there is one fundamental difference She is a SHE with the figure and looks to pull it off.

So go ahead, just don't expect the real world to accept you anytime soon.

Donna Michelle
06-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Charlie, you sound like my friend Debbi. Debbi borrowed some of my wife's racier clothes, but she doesn't like the conservative clothes. She is your age and loves blonde wigs, bright red lipstick and revealing clothes.

She wore my wife's French Maid outfit and got a lot of compliments from people who like that. Meanwhile, others including Debbi agreed that the outfit wasn't flattering to her figure. My wife is a REAL woman with cleavage and looks MUCH better in that outfit.

In the end, you wear what you like to make yourself happy. If you don't mind what other people think, you can wear what you like in public. Some of us prefer to look appropriate in public. You can still get attention while dressing nice.

My big boobs get me great service at Home Depot. I wore a long skirt, a pink shirt and pantyhose. If you asked the guy who helped me to describe me, he would have said a BIG gal with BIG boobs! Ha ha. My wife was right beside me. SHE gets the service when I am NOT dressed as Donna.

Fab Karen
06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Kay go & look at Charlie's icon.

I will also add, there are also GG's who don't follow what some person's SUBJECTIVE idea of appropriate is.

SherriePall
06-05-2008, 04:24 PM
I had a GG tell me once that I should wear short skirts to show off my legs. However, I don't really feel comfortable doing that out in public and choose to wear skirts just above the knees or down near the ankles (I just love the feel of a longer skirt and the appropriate slip).
I want to be noticed when I'm out dressed, but not in a way that people stare too long and figure things out. A short admiring (?) glance and that's it. Well, maybe, a quick glance will do, too.

kay_jessica
06-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Kay go & look at Charlie's icon.

I was not targeting my response to Charlie specifically. It was a more general observation. Besides, from what I can see in the Icon that outfit is reasonable.

It is skirts that have hem lines above the stocking tops. This is what many people consider sexy. In a night club yes maybe, but not in the shopping mall or high street with kids around.

Donna Michelle
06-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I agree that Charlie's icon shows a nice outfit. If I looked that good, I would wear shorter skirts, too (when appropriate). My wife always corrects me when I don't sit like a lady and I am wearing a skirt. Her sister and mother try to see what is under my skirt!

It is skirts that have hem lines above the stocking tops. This is what many people consider sexy. In a night club yes maybe, but not in the shopping mall or high street with kids around.

I agree!

Genifer Teal
06-05-2008, 06:37 PM
I always try to dress appropriate for the envirement I'll be in. It just happens that I go out to clubs most often and in NYC that means just about anything could be acceptable. In this case the ony rule I wish some people would follow is wear clothes appropriate to your body type. In other words, If the (body) parts ain't worth showing, please keep them covered. I've seen way too many GGs with bellys sticking out and hanging over their skirts.

Gen

Fab Karen
06-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I was not targeting my response to Charlie specifically. It was a more general observation. Besides, from what I can see in the Icon that outfit is reasonable.

My point was you reacted to Charlie's words in a black & white assumption. Her version of 25 isn't what you were picturing.

I think most of us have made a statement about dressing for the place/occasion ( rather than dressing in fetish wear for example to go shopping ). BTW I suspect not many people outside of England know what High Street is.

Megan70
06-05-2008, 09:06 PM
BTW I suspect not many people outside of England know what High Street is.
Haven't a clue? Any Brit here care to share with the yankee girls?

Ásfríðr
06-05-2008, 09:33 PM
haha, funny those little differences in our vernaculars, "two countries separated by a common language" i think the phrase goes, was that Wilde? The high street is a long stretch where all the big shops are usually, in a town centre (or center, damn American spell checker telling me what to do!)
****ty? never, got nothing to show off cept a skinny boy, its always trousers (should i say pants?) for me. nice when girls tell you you look nice, they don't like ****s anyway tho, prob applies to boys dressed like ****s. i do think people are more accepting of casual wear, its less 'shoving it in their face's, they're simple folks, help them out a bit!

NicoleScott
06-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't know. It seems that for many of you who want acceptance for what you choose to wear in public may not be too happy about what I choose to wear in public. I dress and make up as I do for my pleasure, not to promote public acceptance. Not trying to start a war, but it just seems a little hypocritical to me.

Ásfríðr
06-05-2008, 09:52 PM
absolutely dress as you like, thats what its all about isn't it? :) i don't think anyone ought not to dress "****ty" if thats what they want, just that i don't and in my opinion it makes me seem less extreme and more approachable because of it. it would def be hypocritical of me to promote cross dressing and at the same time saying 'but not too much or no one will accept us!' i wasn't having a go, i wouldn't think any less of any girl with the balls to dress outside (sorry, i thought that was too funny to miss out, sorry!) regardless of her 'style'. just that i think the wider public finds a softer touch easier to cope with xxx
sorry if i offended you :hugs:

victoriamwilliams1
06-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I would agree for those of us who... well let me say this, in our 20's. I have noticed this while I am out as well.

renee k
06-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Haven't a clue? Any Brit here care to share with the yankee girls?

Hi Megan,
That's easy High Street = Main Street.

Anyway my two cents, on this topic if you go out dress appropriately for the venue and your age.

Huggs, Renee

sandra-leigh
06-05-2008, 10:39 PM
When I go out, I dress for my age, and also for the environment that I am going too. Up here in the North, it is very cold in the winter, so if one is going to the mall, they should wear slacks, etc, to blend in with 95% of the ladies that will be there. If they wish to wear a skirt, which is fine, it should be a business outfit, if during the day, that would fit in with any lady going to work.

Trenton? You ain't got it cold! :battingeyelashes: Our record lows in Winnipeg are 10 Celsius colder than the record lows in Trenton, and our daily mean during the winter is 10 C colder than Trenton's. Heck, our January average daily maximum is lower that Trenton's January average daily minimum. :sad: You say "Brrr, it's cold tonight!" and for the same temperature we say, "Oh good, it's warming up!"

I've been out in mid-winter (below -20C) in a skirt in "guy mode" several times here, and if it is a long plain skirt, such as a denim skirt or a solid matte black, then very few people pay attention at all (most of them don't even notice.) Sure, wearing a "party skirt" to the mall is going to get you noticed, but you don't have to restrict yourself to a "business outfit", even during the middle of winter. And that's in guy mode -- if you are en femme then a casual skirt would be fine. At the closest mall to where I live (not big but the largest for a few miles around, the community center for all the nearby neighbourhoods), you would see many more casual skirts than you would see business skirts -- because it is the neighbourhood center, not a "Business Center". Wearing something like one of my pencil skirts (a "business outfit") there en femme would get me noticed far quicker than wearing my casual long denim skirt as a guy.

But then, we have a fair Mennonite population here (including a Mennonite university), and it is not especially uncommon to see Hutterite women at the malls (the men are seen much less often). Standard Hutterite or orthodox Mennonite apparel for women is a long plain skirt, usually in a dull colour. Thus in the suburban areas, away from the downtown offices, casual skirts are more common than business outfits.

JaytoJillian
06-06-2008, 02:10 AM
I don't know. It seems that for many of you who want acceptance for what you choose to wear in public may not be too happy about what I choose to wear in public. I dress and make up as I do for my pleasure, not to promote public acceptance. Not trying to start a war, but it just seems a little hypocritical to me.

No worries here, Nicole. You rock!

No way am I dressing like Dana Carvey's "Church Lady" character or Robin Williams' "Mrs. Doubtfire" for the sake of being tolerated. Personally, I feel that anyone who thinks conservative femme clothing will cause the haters to have a less visceral reaction to CDs is a bit naive. Haters have a problem with the fact that we like wearing women's clothing. They most likely don't care what it looks like. As most of us (myself included) WILL be read as a "dude in a dress," why not be a "dude" in a sexy dress? I dont go to the malls in "hooker" boots, but I definitely don't mind showing a bit of skin. First rule I learned in the CD universe was that women show skin.

My take on very conservative women's clothing is that I can get the same effect from wearing drab at a fraction of the price. Besides, I don't shave my legs for my health, LoL.

vivianann
06-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Even though I dress conservatively I like to wear dresses that show off my legs (they are my beast feature) my dresses and skirts are knee lengh some slightly shorter which I also like to wear, I do not like long dresses or skirts, and I have a few mini skirts that are for special occasions, such as parties or nights out. but when I am shopping I like to dress in a knee length dress that covers up my upper body, now for those of you who are young, or young looking, a short skirt will work for you, as long as peaple cannot see your crotch under your skirt. And yes there are those jerks who are not tolerant of us crossdressers, who cares, they are far and few, and I find acceptance no matter where I go. and if someone wants to beat me up because I am a dude in a sexy, or classy dress, then they better pack a lunch, because I will knock the hell out of them, I do not pass very well so yes I do get read, but it does not bother me. the bottom line is I like wearing classy conservative dresses, I do not intend to upset anybody, I am telling you all what some GG's told me. I do value their opinions.

deja true
06-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Good for you J2J, I feel kinda the same way. But our attitude comes from the fact that we both are rather proud of our slim bodies, I think. Really don't want to start a 'body image' row with the bigger girls, but I'm thinkin' that I like the fact that if seen from a little distance, I'd get looked at twice while walking. And I like that....a lot.

As long as I can do that, I'll do it. And if on close inspection, my older face tells the looker that either I'm really a guy or that I'm really older than my carriage says I am, then I'm hoping that they think, "Wow! that old tranny can really carry that off!". And the looker mght have a bit more respect for the effort I make.

Like you, if ever I start to look like the typical Wallyworld shopper (ew!) or prematurely aging spinster church lady, I'd probably give up going public and reserve my dressing for my closed up house.

I'm not into ****ty, either, but I do like classy with just a touch of tease. Rodeo Drive as opposed to suburban strip mall. Mama Kardashian as opposed to Mrs. Doubtfire. It's a self esteem thing!

Be the best you can be, you're worth it!

I'm not lookin' to score or fool anyone. I'm just lookin to turn heads a little and garner a little envy. :D

vivianann
06-06-2008, 06:03 AM
I would never dress like miss doubtfire, what the hell kind of dress is that. :eek:
I like showing off my legs:battingeyelashes:

maggiecdva
06-06-2008, 01:33 PM
I find that I am going out more and more in casual womans clothing. Yesterday I was out in a womens shorts and shirt. I don't think anyone gave it a second thought.
hugs - maggie

maggiecdva
06-06-2008, 01:37 PM
My style of dress has evolved as I've gotten older. I am now 48 and my style of dress is more conservative ... can a CD be conservative LOL. I guess my clothing reflects the styles I'm most comfortable wearing. Womans slacks and blouses, More modest skirts and dresses.
hugs - maggie

RitaCD
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Even though I dress conservatively I like to wear dresses that show off my legs (they are my beast feature) my dresses and skirts are knee lengh some slightly shorter which I also like to wear, I do not like long dresses or skirts, and I have a few mini skirts that are for special occasions, such as parties or nights out. but when I am shopping I like to dress in a knee length dress that covers up my upper body, now for those of you who are young, or young looking, a short skirt will work for you, as long as peaple cannot see your crotch under your skirt. And yes there are those jerks who are not tolerant of us crossdressers, who cares, they are far and few, and I find acceptance no matter where I go. and if someone wants to beat me up because I am a dude in a sexy, or classy dress, then they better pack a lunch, because I will knock the hell out of them, I do not pass very well so yes I do get read, but it does not bother me. the bottom line is I like wearing classy conservative dresses, I do not intend to upset anybody, I am telling you all what some GG's told me. I do value their opinions.

Good thread, Vivian. I am a lot like you. I really like dresses and have finally started buying more conservative dresses more appropriate for my age. For some reason I just feel more feminine in a pretty dress. But I am now enjoying more jeans and tops. I just returned from a week in Reno/Lake Tahoe and went to the casinos every night. The first night I went in drab to see what all the ladies were wearing. I really wanted to wear a nice dress but the ladies were all wearing slacks or jeans. So that is what I wore all week and had a wonderful time. The dealers and other players were very nice and I felt that I fit right in.

Donna Michelle
06-06-2008, 02:40 PM
People describe conservative as old lady at church and sexy as ****ty, but there are more levels than that. If you look good in it, wear it. But remember that you wouldn't wear the sexy outfit to church.

Some people have different ideas about what good looking is. You may THINK you look SEXY in an outfit you like, but when other people see you in it, they don't think you look that great. You don't have to blend in with the crowd, but you don't have to be inappropriate for attention.

I don't wear mini skirts at my age, because I don't have sexy legs. I may see a few that look cute, but I would rather see them on my wife. I can take the advice of GG's to look my best. I am not offended when my wife tells me I look better in something else. If I am in love with something that isn't flattering, I can wear it at home.

noname
06-07-2008, 04:35 AM
Once I was making a purchase and the cashiers jaw dropped. Initially I thought, great another gawker. I was wrong. She proceed to say, your hair is soooo beautiful. Not exactly cd cause it was my real hair, granted I did take a curling iron to it though.

* cut my hair for a job interview
** was a big mistake
*** patiently growing it back.

Sue Too
06-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Thank you Vivian for th excellet thread. You've said some things that I think have needed to be said for a long time. To me, "age appropriate" and "blend in" are my guidlines.

:2c:While I defend the right of a sister to wear what she wants I question the taste of many when they project an "in your face" or "over the top" appearance. Do those that do this ever think of the damage they are doing to the acceptance of crossdressers? Do they care? I have the same concerns about those that wear clothing of mixed gender presentation. A frilly blouse with a beard dosnt cut it! Your labeling yourself and all other crossdressers as weird.

I'm sorry if I offeded anyone but just as I defend your right to dress as you wish, I defend my right to call things as I see them.

Vivian your a great looking lady--very feminine. Again, thank you for the great thread and a big thank you to all the sisters who supported her position.

Huggs,

Susan

JulietLewis
06-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Recently I went to a high-end mall wearing a"nice" outfit for shopping or being in an office. I was alone in the elevator when another woman entered. She checked me out from toe (I did have great pumps on...) to head and then made a casual comment about nothing in particular. Passing like that in close quarters was a great thrill!

Rachel Morley
06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
I was extremely greatful to those women who complimented me on the way I dressed, and I was walking on air because I was proud. :D
I totally agree with you. Fortunately for me, I've had several compliments from GGs in our Sacramento crossdressing River City Gems (http://www.rivercitygems.org/) group about the way I dress. It makes feel all warm inside when this happens :) So YGG!

Yes, I agree with most folks here, there's a time and a place for everything and dressing in sexy short and somewhat revealing clothes should really be for the club, not the high street. :2c:

melissa_rinaldi
06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I've had GG's start a conversation on multiple occassions. I've also been read a number of times. It's worse when I guy tries to start a conversation. I've learned to pretty much be able to identify when I guy has read me or not when I'm approached. For the most part, I've managed to pass if I'm dressed appropriately.

I thought I'd mention one compliment in particular, where I was walking toward an ATM at a bank. I heard a car stop behind me, and all I could think of was bad news. Instead, the woman told me very enthusiastically that she loved my colors (I had on a purple and black suit). Well, this occurred on one of my 'bad' days apparently, and when I turned around to respond, you should have seen her face. I got read big time, and she looked like she was in shock. I took that as a compliment as well.

I also remember one day riding along the Mass. Pike dressed pretty provacatively. I noticed that a trucker had been passing me and then dropping back, and repeating for about 20 miles. What can I do, right? I pulled into the rest stop a while later, and didn't notice that he had followed me. I guess I thought he finally got tired of looking. I'm pumping gas, when I hear a voice behind me. He was trying to pick me up! I went into shock mode, and kept turning my head away from him. After about 30 seconds, I got too nervous, and stopped fueling to jump in my car and speed away. I wonder what he thought? I'm sure from the way he was talking that he didn't read me. I was paranoid that if I turned around he might.

I've got other horror stories, but those are for another thread.

Patti Girl
06-09-2008, 06:23 AM
They are correct about many of the things said.We should BLEND in with the crowd to NOT be noticed but be one of them.

Around here, that would mean baggy sweats and a tee shirt. :(

A gay hair stylist and former drag queen told me that real GG's shouldn't have hir longer than shoulder length

Sounds like my ex-wife. "Long hair is not professional." But her boss, an executive VP at a bank, had long hair.

Patti

JoAnnDallas
06-09-2008, 10:12 AM
I stopped on my way to my Tri-Ess Annual Banquet to buy a bottle of water. The older lady behind the counter complimented me on my dress, Pearl neckless, and matching earrings. She asked what the occasion was. I told her it was a special formal Banquet. She just nodded, smiled, and said, "have a wonderful evening dear". It was one of the best compliments I have ever gotton. Don't know if she read me or not and didn't care either. LOL

Jilmac
06-09-2008, 10:24 AM
What a great thread Vivian! Positive feedback is always welcome. I too dress age appropriately and have been treated like the lady I project. I have my minis and halter tops which I love to flaunt, but never in public. I know that GG's notice us and for the most part, will accept us when we look, dress, and act our age. Luv and :hugs: Jill

vivianann
06-10-2008, 04:48 AM
I just want to thank you all for the positive replies to this thread, and the wonderful private messages that were sent to me, you all are wonderful. :love:. I hope we all can overcome our fears and be able to wear a dress out in public. I have overcome alot of fears and now I go out crossdressed almost everyday, and for the most part peaple have been accepting, with a couple of exceptions, I enjoy being a woman in public and for me it has been a wonderful experience.

Audrey34
06-11-2008, 07:58 AM
At my Tri-Ess meetings we have several GG's who attend with their husbands. I always get compliments and I love it. It's also helped me to be more confident about myself when I do dress. I do have several skirts above the knee (24") but I don't think I'm ready to wear those to a meeting yet.
-Audrey

JoAnnDallas
06-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Audrey34........I know what you mean. When I walked into the room where the Banquet was being held, one of the wives walked up and commented about my Pearl neckless and earrings. Wow twice in one night. First time was at a conveince store that I stop at on my way to the Banquet.
Even in drab I have gotton comments about how nice my nails look. One time this lady takes my hand, holds it up so her husband could see it and tells him, "See some men do keep their nails in good shape". A little embarresing but a nice compliment. I did get the dagger stare from her husband. LOL
Wife thought it was real funny.

Toni_Lynn
06-11-2008, 11:25 AM
I hope this is in the spirit of the topic, but I truly appreciate it when my wife, who is of course a GG (I checked :D ), give me advise and compliments OR criticism when I am in boy mode but still wearing all passable girls clothes. (Does that make sense?)

I really appreciate it, because I like to wear girls clothes 24/7 and at times there is this urge to push things a bit much and I need advise which helps me to realise that something that may be good at home won't work in public.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Patti Girl
06-11-2008, 01:14 PM
when I am in boy mode but still wearing all passable girls clothes. (Does that make sense?)

Toni_Lynn,

I assume that means clothes that are female but more gender neutral? (Like simple jeans and a simple tee shirt, or do you mean more than that?) But you aren't in girl mode? Is that what you mean?

Patti

Toni_Lynn
06-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I assume that means clothes that are female but more gender neutral? (Like simple jeans and a simple tee shirt, or do you mean more than that?) But you aren't in girl mode? Is that what you mean?

Yes Patti -- that's exactly what I mean, and above and beyond that if things like my bra straps are visible.

That said -- since I underdress at all times, I guess I'm never 100% in boy mode :)

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Fab Karen
06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
if things like my bra straps are visible.
Toni-Lynn

Yeah, because NO GG has ever been in public with her bra straps showing.:heehee: