PDA

View Full Version : Broad shoulders and big arms

Joanna:)
06-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I work out a fair bit, and while I'm no Arnie, I do have quite big shoulders and rather defined muscular arms. Any tips on minimising the effect to make myself look more feminine? The only things I've been able to think of are baggy tops and different ways of standing.

I guess unless I lose the muscle (Which I don't want to do I'm afraid, my masculine side likes it and it's useful in any case :)) there isn't much else to be done...

Having said all that, there are a lot of girls out there with muscles that still manage to somehow be feminine at the same time.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Kristy_Iowa_CD
06-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Although I admit I don't work out as much as I used too (and I definately should do it a lot more), I feel your pain!

I was blessed/cursed (depending on how you look at it) with very broad masuline shoulders. And I have never found a good way to minimize it either. When I'm completely en femme (breast forms and everything), it does become a little less noticeable, but I think only because the rest of me looking feminine detracts from it.

I am very self conscious of how I look from behind though. As a guy I have had several women comment on how broad my shoulders are when they are behind me, so I really have to wonder, what does it look like when I'm en femme?

A female gorilla? (I hope not!)

Suzy Harrison
06-07-2008, 01:33 AM
I suffer a little in this area as well.

My solution is to:

Wear darker tops than bottoms - which appears to make you less top heavy
Wear hip pads to balance and broaden the bottom half of you with the top
Wear deep "V" tops which also helps to take the heavyness away

Sedona
06-07-2008, 07:58 AM
It's tough isn't it?

You've hit it spot on. Posing, using covering on the shoulders and arms, and Suzy makes a good point about dark colors. Kristy's advice about the forms is good too.

You might find that you want to go up in breast form size. And, you'd be surprised what a corset and a bit of hip padding can do to "balance" out the muscular top half. And, while I'm not body builder big by a long stretch, I always use the defined upper bodies of female swimmers and aerobics competitors to tell myself that a bit of a muscular top isn't necc. a bad thing.

Also, when you get your post count up, take a look through the pictures section. See what some of the more muscular girls do to help out their photos.

Sharon B.
06-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Might also take out any extra padding that the manufacture puts in, like the shoulder pads in some suit jackets.

docrobbysherry
06-07-2008, 09:20 AM
If your going out dressed, I have no suggestions.

To hide my guy biceps, I wear tops with sleeves. Also, I've noticed holding my arms twisted forward, seems to disguise my biceps better, in some of my pics.

KarenCDFL
06-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi,

This is the dammed if you do and dammed if you don't kind of thing.

I am a big guy and well that translates into a big girl.

I just stopped worrying about it after awhile. I can lose weight but other than having a flat belly (still have a lot to go) there is really nothing I can do about my height and build.

Then again there are a lot of large FAB's in the real world and they seem to deal with it ok.

VirginiaX23
06-07-2008, 09:50 AM
My biggest problem in sharing your condition (affliction? attribute? Okay, I like attribute... less pejorative)... in sharing your attribute is that it is very hard to find tops or dresses that fit comfortably on my shoulders that aren't three sizes too big everywhere else. I like my clothes to fit the way they were designed to and my big ape arms and shoulders, which my wife loves and appreciates, do not make wearing certain kinds of clothes, namely those found in the ladies section, an easy task.

But I do persevere...

celeste26
06-07-2008, 11:51 AM
As someone who has exercised quite a bit over the years, I think that if you concentrate on the aerobics rather than the reps it will tone down the 'cuts' and still maintain or improve you condition.

Shannen
06-07-2008, 12:06 PM
One trick I stumbled across is the sheer blouse over tanktop look. I have a few sheer tops, and by wearing a tight shirt underneath, the impression of seeing a "smaller" body through the top is given. I thought it would make me look all that much bigger, but the pics I've taken I have found to be very pleasing.

If you have cable/dish, watch "What not to wear" or makeover shows. They will often explain "body types" and what styles help fight the flaws. Suzy already hit on a few keys... darker tops (no shadows created) and deeper V's. (if you don't have a hair issue... but then you can still do the layering thing for a V look without skin showing)

:hugs:Shannen

MalibuJenny
06-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes, the sheer top thing works great.

Also, long hair that actually falls on your shoulders tends to cover and soften them a bit.

I find that I look okay from the front, but I look like a linebacker from the back. Probably would help to have some padding below the waist so I'm not so V-shaped.

danam
06-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I pull my shoulders back. Always. Can really make a difference.

And I think there is a TON to be said about getting the feminine gestures down right. Walking like a woman helps fool the eye.

I have found that polyester wrap dresses to be the most flattering. My latest purchase has a bold pattern that helps confuse the eye, I think.

I definitely fall into the broad shoulders category...I feel bad for the GG TGs who would kill to have shoulders like mine, while I envy their light frames and feminine features. The world is a funny place.

linnea
06-07-2008, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=Suzy Harrison;1320881][COLOR="Blue"]

I suffer a little in this area as well.
My solution is to:

Wear darker tops than bottoms - which appears to make you less top heavy
Wear hip pads to balance and broaden the bottom half of you with the top
Wear deep "V" tops which also helps to take the heavyness away

I do all of the things that Suzy has recommended for similar reasons--I'm big for a man much less for a woman. However, much that is femme has to do with things other than size by itself: these fashion tips do help; movement helps (I watch how women walk, sit, browse, posture); confidence helps (there are quite a few large women in the world; of course, they stand out because of their size, but they are not necessarily taken to be men).
It's not easy, but I enjoy trying.

"Mary"
06-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Good tips here. Ones that I would echo - Wider hips (hip width should approximate shoulder width), Turn 3/4 for pictures, Hair on shoulders, and of course sleeves.

Maria2222
06-08-2008, 08:52 AM
My shoulders aren't excessively large, but my arms are quite developed.
So many excellent suggestions. The ones about sleeves are right on the money. No matter how much you want to, never wear short sleeves or sleeveless tops unless they are under a sheer longer sleeved top. If your forearms aren't too large you can go with 3/4 sleeves. I like them very much. You should probably trim your arm hair if you do this, though.
Balancing out the hips with some padding (you can buy garments with the padding already in them) is a great idea plus it gives you some girlish curves. Check out Fredericks, or do a search. Maybe you can even get some on Ebay.

Sally147
06-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I recently came out to an old friend, and she said she wanted a fashion show, so I did the catwalk thing for her. She wasn't sure about the wig(quite right too,) she reckoned I have quite good legs, but despite not LOOKING muscular and broad shouldered when I'm in my garage overalls, in a vest top, I do look very well defined. A lifetime of upper body activity and strengthening leaves it's mark, and I do have rather nice bloky shoulders. Remedy? Wear a top, said Shas. So I do. I have a nice red cotton tie front one I got from Marks and Sparks, and I love that, and a couple of lacy ones too. I'll be trying out some of the other expert tips too!

Jocelyn Quivers
06-08-2008, 10:02 AM
I have the same problem, I usually stick with long sleeve tops with lycra spandex that stretch easily.

Christine XX
06-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm a pretty big (ahem, read wide) guy, so I need to be a big woman. I notice plenty of bigger women who have wide shoulders and backs and big arms. They have rounder, curvier shapes though. I've gained enough body fat, that if my shoulders were going to round out, they would have done it by now, so no hope there.

So for me it's long sleeves and high necks to cover the muscle shapes (and body hair), combined with some serious hip padding to even me out. I hope if I get the proportions right, and cover the parts I can't change, that the look will be good enough.

-Christine

insearchofme
06-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Great tips! I try to pull my shoulders down and then pull them back (try touching your shoulder blades together). This "narrows" your shoulders a bit.

I too like to strength train with weights. Some one above said not to do reps. That is not totally accurate. Training with lighter weights (what's light for me may not be light for you so experiement) and doing a great deal of reps will cut the muscles up and define them. This is the look you want. If you do heavier weights and fewer reps that will increase size. That is more than likely the look you don't want.

Rachel Morley
06-08-2008, 01:10 PM
With what you say, about loose tops and standing with your arms positioned more femininely, plus add what Suzi said about darker tops, deep vee necks, and a padded hip and bottom panty girdle ... do all of these things and it does make a difference, that's to say it has improved things for me.