PDA

View Full Version : How the Ottawa group got started.

judyk
06-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Well Gender Mosaic is 20 years old and just had a celebration.

There was only room at City Hall for 100 and it was a sell out.

For the un lucky one’s that could not attend I have enclosed my speech to the 100 that attended including the Chief of Police.

It’s Great to be a girl enjoy.

I have been asked to tell you from my perspective on how the group in Ottawa got started.

I would like to tell you it was a well thought out plan executed with the prestion timing of a navy seal team, but that’s not the way it happened.

What happened was I join the Triess group and with the information package I received a directory of the members with a brief profile and a picture.

Well there was one member that looked so good and appeared to be just a nicely dress women.

Well I sent her a letter via the Triess private mail system.

After two weeks or so I got a return mail with a phone number in Florida, so I call it and talked to Jenny and his wife Evonne.

They told me I was welcome to come down for a group meeting any time I wanted and they would even put me up at there home while I was down there.

Well That night I took the plunge and booked a ticket to Florida for the weekend, well , I had to go Thursday night and come back Sunday to get the ticket discount.

A short time after booking the ticket, the realization of what I was about to do hit me.

I call them and told them I was coming down but could not think of how to get my stuff down there, customs, ect.

They told me not to worry about it as Jenny and I were about the same size she would lend me any thing I needed.

They met my plane and we went to there home, had supper and went to bed, I was given the guest room.

As they both worked and had to be off by 8:00am, this left me home alone all day.

There back yard faces east and they have a outdoor shower, they showed me the night I arrived, so I took my shower and let the sun dry me in a lawn chair.

Well I got dressed and when back out side, they have a lovely home with 30-foot high trees all the way around the back 40.

There I was, in the sunshine dressed like women, some thing I had never done in my life.

There home is near Disney land but for me I was all ready there!

PAUSE

I met the group there that night, what a great group, I was treated like the guest of honor.

The next day I toured Kennedy Space Center, went shopping all as Judy.

But now to come home.

It was not long before I got angry Y could they and Disney and a group, not fair.

Why could they have a group and not the capital city of Canada .

Well I set out to find a few kindred souls.

But how.

Advertise no that would not work I had a high profile job in the high tech industry.

So I deiced they would have to come to me.

I contacted the Ottawa Distress Center and offered my self as a contact…They rejected me,

I suppose I could not blame them I was an un-known and no formal social training.

So with one strike against me I tried the Ottawa Gay line, I called and asked where they wood reference a heterosexual male cross dresser to , well they where stumped, after a few second I told them you can reference they to me.

Days later I met with a number of the members of the Ping Triangle Service and armed with

Pictures of my self at Kennedy and the group in Florida, I was accepted as a contact point.

I took a number of months for the calls to come in be after we had a whopping roster of 5 we begin to hold socials at my place, there were no dues, membership cards, or rules just a friendly safe place to meet.

The screening was simple, just to meet me at a little restaurant in the area and talk for a short while, I was always dressed as a male and as a manager I had a good sense of where or not a person is Being honest with me, the only real requirement being a sincere interest in cross-dressing.

The members were free to come dressed if they were comfortable with being outside that way or they could dress after they arrived, I had a 3 bed room town house and 1 and a half bath rooms so there was no fighting for a mirror to fix your makeup.

It was not long before we had decided to give our selves a group name NEW OTTAWA WOMEN or N.O.W.

The meetings continued and after a short time we had badgered Alison (tedy) into writing the first edition of Notes From The Underground dated Winter 88/89 No.1, a two page Blurb with a picture
of the members on the last page, I still have my copy.

I would assure that there was food, soft drinks, and kept a case of beer in the refrigerator, all this Ensured a fun time at the meetings.

I had a few books and one news letters from the TRI-ESS group and made them available to all to read this was the start of or present library.

PAUSE !!!

There is a sub-section of the group that I have to honour, I call it the CORE , this is what made it happen, every meeting, 100 F,makeup dripping off, die hards, without them I mite have quite,.

PAUSE !!

I’m not going to names ,,,,you know who you are !
Take you bows overdo earned them.>

PAUSE !!!

I’m not as active as I used to be and the changes and improvements to the group have come from the hard work of others, plus the natural growth that comes from any living thing.

Personal restrictions prevent me from attending the meetings but when I get the chance go to a Meeting I will and all thought I may not show it I receive a great sense of personal pride in what as come from these small beginnings.

Thank you.

Jenn2716
06-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow. Congratulations on the 20th Anniversary!!

I can't praise you enough for getting a group started in your area. I would think that you have touched alot of lives with Gender Mosaic.

I had gone to a few meetings with a small TS group here in NB, but the group disbanded and we've all lost touch since. I thought briefly about spearheading a new group, but it just isn't possible with my current situation.

Congrats again and I hope Gender Mosaic has another stong 20 years ahead of itself.