PDA

View Full Version : Back in time

Heather_Marie
06-09-2008, 10:29 AM
O.K. I have a question if you could go back in time what time era would you want to live in for the fashion (you can pick more then one).

1) I would love to live in the 1800’s in the Victorian age with the beautiful dresses and the cute boots and the parcels. I just love that time era.

2) Second I would pick the 1950’s for some reason I love the dresses and the bras that they would wear.

3) Third I am going with the 1980’s I really like that era too because on the bright colors and this is when the bras started to be worn on the outside. It was a very cute and colorful era.

Steveo
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
me to i'd just love to be alive and rich in the victorian eara

TxKimberly
06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
You just mentioned all of my favs too! ;-)

Ashley Lyn
06-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Probably ANY era, as the 'school girl' look will never go out of style!!!:battingeyelashes:

Pleated short plaid skirts and a Peter Pan blouse.. I love to top them off with color coordinated thigh highs and Mary Janes..:D:o

christinac
06-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I would have to say as far as fashion goes, the 1950's even though part of me does like the jazzy 1920's look also.

DonnaT
06-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Late 60's early 70's.

When mini skirts and hot pants were new, and when I was a whole lot thinner.

TrekGirl1701
06-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Definitely the 1950s. I'm a big fan of the overall look of everything in that decade, not just female clothing. They wore petticoats alot back then and I really like those. I also liked the hairstyles and the poodle skirts with saddle shoes. It's a cliched look, I know, but I love it all the same.

Foxy Lady
06-09-2008, 12:16 PM
The 50's for sure, when women dressed like women, skirts and heels.

JoAnnDallas
06-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I agree the 50's when women wore dresses, heels, hair done up just right, makeup, lipstick, pearl neckless and earrings and that was just to clean the house.

Karren H
06-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm more than happy livin in the here and now.. Such a wide vaiety of fashion options and so much to choose from...

Not the those other eras aren't nice.. It just that todays clothing better fits my body... And I can change my whole look more easily... Where as poodle skirts and bustles would get old.... Older... Oldish... Quick!!! Lol.

ShannonGermany
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree with u Karren the present is just fine for me :) Maybe cause all i know is the 90's and the 80's:drink:

Deborah Jane
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
The 80s without a doubt...I used to go clubbing all the time and really envied the clothing the girls used to wear:daydreaming:
The 60,s look good too, as that was when the miniskirt was introduced and in all the films i,ve seen set in that era, the fashions look really cool!!

Stargirl
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Since you didn't list the 1940's, the 1950's would do nicely. I prefer the 1940's "Swing" dresses, and 1950's dresses because during certain years the clothing hugged the body, yet remained comfortable, due to the cut. The early 1960's leaned more toward "boxy" and a looser fit.. The Jackie Kennedy styles never did it for me. I was a sweater and skirt girl with ballerina pumps. 1950's did have a lot of variety. Straight skirts, full skirts, pleats, peasant look. I didn't like the Carnaby street look, and geometrical prints from the late 60's, but loved the atomic fabric prints from the later 50's and early 60's. Now is a good time, because just about anything goes. In 1950, I wouldn't have been able to wear a Gunne Sax granny dress. The long dresses were the "Lucy" look with crinolines. Now, we can wear either, without invoking the wrath of the peanut gallery

adelle
06-09-2008, 01:50 PM
hi girls yes al 3 for me 2. all of the above and i would say the now era as well as society is more accepting towards a man in heels than in those years. they had lovely clothes then and the half and full slip was a must. :daydreaming:

celeste26
06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
I have enough problems with this era and couldn't deal with all the necessary problems that come with changing into any other era.

StephanieH
06-09-2008, 02:11 PM
:)Since I'm a serious history buff, I don't know why I never posted this before myself!

The original post is spot on with the two most glamorous eras I think. The Victorian era, from the 1870s to around 1915 saw so many fantastic styles for women it's dizzying - and that's not to mention the corsets, stockings, ankle boots, and everything underneath! WOW!

If I had to pick one era, it would be the late 1940's/early 1950's, when the pin-up girl look was really in its prime. The undies in that era were incredible (garters everywhere seemingly for no apparent reason sometimes) the hair and makeup was fantastic, the heels were high and very swank looking, and even when ladies went casual, they looked classy and elegant. I think the ladies of both eras would faint dead away if they saw how women walked around in Wally World today or at the local mall - eeeek!

Overall, however, I like where I am because I don't think I'd like living without air conditioning and a host of other modern conveniences. Also, thanks to vintage-style clothes and legit original pieces, we can revisit those days playing dress up.

Fascinating thread, this should get interesting. Women were just more elegant and vampy then... that's all there is to it. :)

Take care and God bless! :D

KayR
06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
I would be fairly specific; early- to mid- 60's. Here in the UK, we had a very austere 50's, as our country pulled back from being almost bankrupt after WW2. The "swinging sixties" was just starting to happen, the Beatles were becoming world superstars, tights/pantyhose were (thankfully) in their infancy, and most women wore stockings :thumbsup:
The classic feminine shape of slender waist and great figure was enhanced by the full skirts and petticoats that had become more popular as they came into the shops. Oh, and stilletoe heels with "winkle picker" pointed toes were also in fashion!!:D

Tomara
06-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I have to agree with Karen and Shannen , I like the styles and fabrics of today, they are more what I like on my body. I like to look at all of the other decades of clothing styles and they look good on the people who wear them there just not for me. Tomara

Toni_Lynn
06-09-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm probably not answering the question right, but what the hay!

I would go back the time of February 1971 to the end of May 1971.

I would also want to go back, being the kid I was then, but with the magic of knowing then what I know now, as well, as a a few extra (well, lots actually) dollars in my pocket.

I'd be buying every sytle of Teencharm and Teenform training bra in the racks at G C Murphy's and every dress like those that the girls I went to school with wore!

Oh -- can't forget panties and several packs of Today's Girl pantyhose!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

VirginiaX23
06-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I would go back to the 1920's not only for the fashion, which was pushing boundaries in so many ways, but for the culture. I would live in Paris and be an ex-patriot flapper.

Heather_Marie
06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Today 01:11 PM
Randi
Love this question!

Since I'm a serious history buff, I don't know why I never posted this before myself!

The original post is spot on with the two most glamorous eras I think. The Victorian era, from the 1870s to around 1915 saw so many fantastic styles for women it's dizzying - and that's not to mention the corsets, stockings, ankle boots, and everything underneath! WOW!

If I had to pick one era, it would be the late 1940's/early 1950's, when the pin-up girl look was really in its prime. The undies in that era were incredible (garters everywhere seemingly for no apparent reason sometimes) the hair and makeup was fantastic, the heels were high and very swank looking, and even when ladies went casual, they looked classy and elegant. I think the ladies of both eras would faint dead away if they saw how women walked around in Wally World today or at the local mall - eeeek!

Overall, however, I like where I am because I don't think I'd like living without air conditioning and a host of other modern conveniences. Also, thanks to vintage-style clothes and legit original pieces, we can revisit those days playing dress up.

Fascinating thread, this should get interesting. Women were just more elegant and vampy then... that's all there is to it.

Take care and God bless!

Randi that would be my next era in time I love so much is the

My father grew up on that era the military women were amazing in there outfits and like you said the garters WOW love them. Their hairstyles were amazing too when they were wearing them up tight.

KarenCDFL
06-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Would have to be late 70's early 80's Disco.

Loved the dresses makeup and shoes!

trannie T
06-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I'd really like to go all the way back to last week, I had a really good time in San Francisco

Leann James
06-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Hy uall I will be the fifties for me. I was in high school then. OO telling to mutch Leann:hugs:

Charleen
06-09-2008, 06:08 PM
The Twenties for me as well. Then the 60's.

shirley1
06-09-2008, 06:21 PM
for me 50's or 70's or even now !! i was watching a film last night "the stepford wives" from 1976 and you know when they get cloned to become robotic type housewives interested in little more than pleasing their hubbys and doing the housework well i quite like the look from that era frilly dresses and hats - i love bridalwear and would love to be a bridesmaid at a wedding you know pink ballgown or a prom dress - that would be a dream come true for me ! maybe thats why i like the 50s era when women wore the full skirts and loads of petticoats under them - saying that here in england a lot of the women are wearing those types of clothes in fashion - its wide open over here so i think you get the best of all eras these days !

pcpolitex
06-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Love the 50s styles. Check out my 4 dozen crinolines and 20 plus full skirts. My bullet bra could also make a point or two.

Cristi
06-14-2008, 01:59 PM
I would go to 10,000 BC.

Those cavewomen and their furs were really HOT!

:D

celeste26
06-14-2008, 02:02 PM
For those time travelers: Remember we must have money from that era. Going back with today's money would be subject to laws given that each bill has the year it was printed on it, and ti might be embarrassing to present money with the wrong date on it.