PDA

View Full Version : The Name

christinac
06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I've been asked by a few of my new friends how did I come up with the name Christina? To answer the question, Christina was a very special and dear friend of mine who tragically died from breast cancer at 32 years old. I honestly don't believe she was even capable of hating anyone no matter how ugly or evil the person may be and even to her dying breath she always thought of others more than her self. Truly in life she never got the recognition and credit she deserved. I wish that I could be just one tenth the woman she was.

How did you come up with your name?

Tomara
06-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi Cristina , That is a great tribute to your friend I`m sure she would be happy knowing you think about her every time you use your shared name. As for my name I wanted something close to my male name so I looked up female names starting with T , I didn`t decide completely until I joined here and since Tamara is a moderator I decided on Tomara.

Ruth
06-09-2008, 03:24 PM
As a MtF CDer you'd think it was a great opportunity to choose your favorite name, but it didn't happen that way to me. The name was there in my subconscious, waiting for me when I accepted my CDing self. To be honest I don't even like the name much, and I don't feel it's the most feminine of names, but I knew it was me.
It means 'companion' and I guess that Ruth and my male self are just that, lifetime companions.

Heather_Marie
06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi it's Heather Marie I was tell my good friend christinac how I got my name is just the fact I just really like Heather and Then I just thought of a other name that went with it and Marie fit so that is how I got mine.

christinac
06-09-2008, 03:54 PM
I like the name Ruth, Ruth. Then again one of my favorite family members is named Ruth and she is very kind and compassionate and a survivor. She was a field nurse in England during WW2 and was nearly killed in a German air raid on London (please forgive me my English friends, but I can't remember the name of the coastal town that kept getting bombed day and night also) and Korea. She can really glue you to the seat with the WW2 stories about life in London because she lived the non stop bombings after bombings on London.

silkykrissy
06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, mine is not nearly so inspiring. I like krissy because it sounds silly and girly. I am also sub when dressed, so it feels like it fits.

christinac
06-09-2008, 04:11 PM
It a common name in the southern US but it is usually spelled Crissy instead of Krissy. It is also used a lot in the south for short for Christina.

VirginiaX23
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, Virginia Woolf is one of my favorite authors and, well, if you've ever read Orlando, then you know why it is one of my favorite books. As for X23, well, that's kind of personal online code I've used for myself for over a decade now.

shirley1
06-09-2008, 06:02 PM
well my names actually lorraine not shirley i just used it for my password when i joined this forum so maybe should change it ! i got my name from a girl i used to work with who i was absolutely infatuated with i had a schoolkid crush on her at 29 years of age she was just 18 ! long blond hair blue eyes i both fancied her and envied her ! so i took her name when i started taking my femme side more seriously (lorraine dawe) yes that was her name and i wonder where she is now and what she is doing - i was never going to be with her but at least i got to adopt her name in my femme self !

Cheryl Anne
06-09-2008, 06:49 PM
I took what would have been my female birth name. I asked my mom how they would have spelled Anne and she said she didn't know, so I put the "E" on the end. The last name I took from my father's pre-adoptive name.

christinac
06-09-2008, 07:29 PM
I knew a family called Norwood in Indiana up around the Fort Wayne area. Couldn't tell you much about them because that was back in the 70's and thier children were several years older than me.

Am I also addressing a Star Trec Voyager fan or Next Generation?

adrienner99
06-09-2008, 07:51 PM
In high school, there was a very sweet, pretty girl named Adrienne who wore just a bit too much makeup, two-inch heels and always, always a dress or a skirt. I didn't just want to be like her, I wanted to BE her...taking her name was as close as I could come.

rosepowder
06-09-2008, 07:53 PM
I came up with the first part of my name from a girl I used to work with. Her name was Rosemary and she was the cutest girl in the world to me. She was a few years younger so I decided to keep my distance so I wouldn't be hurt if she rejected me.

I like the word powder because to me it represents something soft and white and feminine smelling.

I'm not the most creative person in the world, but when I combined the two names, I was quite impressed with myself. To me the name rosepowder sounds magical.

Casey Morgan
06-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Casey is a good gender-neutral name that has the same feel as my male name. But I chose it in part because of the character of Casey (Kevin Spacey) in the movie Outbreak. I like how he's a smart guy who's also a smart ***. Morgan goes well with Casey but is also a tip of the hat to both Morgan Freeman (anybody remember his character of Easy Reader on The Electric Company?) and Morgan Fairchild.

christinac
06-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Rosepowder does sound soft and sweet. There is a real rose powder that you can by from Avon. I used to by it for my late wife because she loved anything to do with roses.

Cheryl Anne
06-09-2008, 08:04 PM
I knew a family called Norwood in Indiana up around the Fort Wayne area. Couldn't tell you much about them because that was back in the 70's and thier children were several years older than me.

Am I also addressing a Star Trec Voyager fan or Next Generation?

I like the programs. My real last name isn't Norwood. But I think my dad's family lived somewhere in MI.

srinn
06-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Is there anyone else like me who have never made one? For some reason I don't really feel like I need one. :)

Angie G
06-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Well I truly think you couldn't have piked a better name. and to honor a dear friend you must be proud to carry her name.:hugs:
Angie

Casey Morgan
06-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Is there anyone else like me who have never made one? For some reason I don't really feel like I need one. :)

There have been a number of people on this site since I've been here who haven't chosen a name, usually because they don't feel they need one. It's completely a personal thing.

christinac
06-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Yes, I'm proud to use her name. She was one of a kind person. Her mother knows about me and says she is quite honored that I chose her daughters name over all the other names I could have chose. My other two picks were Alexandra or Stephanie.

christinac
06-09-2008, 08:38 PM

There are several who don't use a regular name on the site. I was just wondering how those who do use names came up with thier name? Was the name to honor a passed away friend, or a childhood friend or hero, and so on?
So far it appears that most are just names they liked.

Ásfríðr
06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
saw the name 'Princess Astrid' on a globe, loved the idea that they'd named this tiny part of antarctica for this woman who'd probably never set foot on the place in her life. comes from the old norse 'Ásfr*ðr' meaning 'divine beauty', how damned self indulgent of me! lol xx

astrid

(good thread tho btw)

christinac
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM
What is life without a little bit of vanity? Down right boooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrring!

bobbie_1048
06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I cheated and took the easy way. All I did was change the spelling of a nickname I've had since I was very young.:)

Angela-Russell
06-09-2008, 11:14 PM
I've mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but I went through the alphabet until I found a name I liked, which took about 2 seconds. My wife doesn't know, but she chose my second name. I once bought a ballgown that rustled loudly as I walked around in it, because of the material it was made of. After that, when I was going to dress she would ask, "are you rustling tonight" or "are you going to have a rustle". I simply changed rustle into Russell, & that's how I became Angela Russell

christinac
06-09-2008, 11:38 PM
I cheated and took the easy way. All I did was change the spelling of a nickname I've had since I was very young.:)

Here in Florida Bobbie Jo is a very common girls name.

KayR
06-10-2008, 03:24 AM
After reading some of the inspiring and poignant stories, I'm almost ashamed to confess; my femme name is my initial! The R at the end was the initial of a friend of mine.
I used to tell people that the correct pronounciation was Kier, to rhyme with wire, just to add a bit of romance. Someone once asked me where the name came from, so I told them it was Icelandic. What a liar!! :heehee:

dominique
06-10-2008, 04:31 AM
Mine is the French version of my name. If I was born female I probably ened up with a family name, like Susan, Margaret or Christina. Nothing wrong as my proper name is also a family name thats been passed down for the past 200 years.

silkykrissy
06-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Ooh. I like the spelling for Crissy. I've never seen that - only Chrissy and Krissy. I may have to change now :) Thanks christinac!

It a common name in the southern US but it is usually spelled Crissy instead of Krissy. It is also used a lot in the south for short for Christina.

Sally147
06-10-2008, 11:30 AM
My name is actually Alasdair, and everyone calls me Ali. I absolutely love Sally off third rock, I wanna be her, and 147 is a rreally cool car by Alfa Romeo. SO, Sally 147. Peep peep!!

christinac
06-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Ooh. I like the spelling for Crissy. I've never seen that - only Chrissy and Krissy. I may have to change now :) Thanks christinac!

You are very welcome!

racquel
06-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Have always loved Raquel Welch and the initials are the same as mine.I also loved the voice of Racquel,the barmaid on Coronation Street.

Ellen Ross
06-10-2008, 07:59 PM
My given name is uncommon, and my voice is not very low. When giving my name on the phone it would sometimes be understood as Ellen. Last year when I started to understand my desire to dress, I realized that Ellen had been around in name only for years. It is not what I would have chosen, but it helps in a way as it somewhat links my present to my past.

christinac
06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
My given name is uncommon, and my voice is not very low. When giving my name on the phone it would sometimes be understood as Ellen. Last year when I started to understand my desire to dress, I realized that Ellen had been around in name only for years. It is not what I would have chosen, but it helps in a way as it somewhat links my present to my past.

Nothing at all wrong with that.

robbie
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Oh, you have to take a name? My name is my regular name that my parents gave me. It is spelled in the Scottish way with an ie instead of an y like the Irish. I am me so I will keep this name. I used to hate it but since seeing the television show, My Three Son's, it was ok to have.

christinac
06-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Robbie is used here once in awhile as a nic name for Robin or Robert and every so often you see Robbie as a regular name spelled just that way. Then again many families in the southeast USA are Scottish decent especially north Georgia and up through the Carolina's.

Kayla_CD
06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
I was in the boat of feeling I didn't need a name for a long time. I think I was on this site with a different handle years ago. When I came back to it recently I was talking to more people and getting the question more and more. On another forum I put up a list (maybe 30 or 40) names I liked from a list of baby names. When the only person who responded also picked the only name that alliterated with my male name (having no idea of my real name) it seemed like fate. I also particularly like it because it sounds very Miss America, girly.

Emily Anderson
06-12-2008, 04:02 PM
It only took me a few minutes to come up with my name, about 10 years ago. Then again, I love crosswords and other kinds of word puzzles, so it only seemed natural to take some letters from my first name, shuffle them around, add a couple of letters, and there I was!

melisss2u
06-12-2008, 04:07 PM
First girl i had a chrush on

Rita cd12fr
06-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Rita was my first real love but I was too timid and let her go (I think because I thought she was too good and too beautiful for me). Perhaps I am trying in some way to recapture her.

Hermione Simpson
06-13-2008, 03:08 PM
i chose hermione because of my favourite character in the harry potter series and simpson, because it's my mothers maiden name

Kristy_Iowa_CD
06-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Years ago, when a friend was pregnant, I was glancing through her book of baby names and one of the things it suggested was that if you have multiple children their first names should have the same number of consonants and vowels (can't remember what the reason for this was).

The name Kristy fits that exactly (the same number of consonants and vowels as my birth name), which is why I picked it. Plus I always liked that name.

Laura_Stephens
06-13-2008, 06:33 PM
I took the name of my sister older sister who died at the age of 5. Even at that young age, she was beautiful.

AshleyCD
06-14-2008, 04:16 AM
In high school I envied a female Ashlee, she always had nice makeup on, but not over done and was not the normal little skinny teenage girl. She wasn't big, but in the middle and usually wore feminine clothes. She had a nice rack and was the kind of women I wished I could be, don't remember if it was Ashley or Ashlee, but I like the Ashlee spelling better myself. Even though it is not on here, I did pick a last name after looking as dutch names as it is part of my heritage and really liked the sound of Ashlee Haswell, sounds very hollywood to me, which would be a second career choice after computer engineering.