PDA

View Full Version : Even Further Out There

Suzy Harrison
06-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Well my two close GG friends at work already know about me, but today the situation took a massive leap forward.

For a long time the thought of transitioning has been at the front of my mind. What has held me back was the ability to be out in public with no problems and also the thought of employment. I really can’t see my employer giving me much support ~ in fact I could see them finding a way getting rid of me since I deal with all of our customers on a face to face basis.

After coming out to my friends, I was encouraged by the fact that they felt there was no reason why I shouldn’t carry on doing the same job if I did take the plunge. They even offered to smooth the way over with management and customers in the future.

Over coffee this week one of them offered to approach our (female) HR Manager/Director, who is based over the other side of Australia. With she being good friends with her, the idea was just to ask generic questions to get an idea of what sort of reception I could expect if I went ahead. I accepted her kind offer, but wasn’t expecting too much from the company.

So yesterday evening she made the call, basically asking if someone in the company wanted to transition, what would be the reaction by management.

The answer was surprising.

She replied that the company would be fully supportive and would do all it can to help – even to the point of educating the staff and customers if need be. My friend told her she would be very impressed and proud of our company if they could be as accommodating as that. The Manager went on to say that this sort of thing isn’t new to her as her friend transitioned from Male to Female some years ago.

But the manager then said, “Can I ask who is it?” – my friend said, “Sorry no, I promised not to pass that on. Then the manager said, “ Well is it xxx? (my name). My friend was stunned that she guessed it in one and was stuck for words. So the cat was out of the bag.

By the time she gathered her composure there was no point in denying they had been talking about me.
My friend mentioned to her that she has seen me; we’ve all been out together at a restaurant, shopping and the movies had a wonderful time and that I’ll be able to interact with customers with no problems. Once again the manager was very supportive saying how good she thought that was and couldn’t see why there should be any problems.

When all this was passed on to me, I phoned the manager up for a chat. I told her of all my thoughts and plans. I mentioned about the shopping trips and generally being out in public… when I told her about me flying enfemme I could hear her gasp over the phone!

The main thing is that I’m not going to do anything until I get back from the SCC in Atlanta in October. Again she was so supportive saying the company wouldn’t be 90 or 95% behind me, but 100%. What ever I decide to do they will do all they can to help and support me. She told me not to worry about the job as I can carry on as before and they will smooth the way ahead of me. Our call went on for 40 odd minutes and it was clear she meant ever word.

I’m sure I’ll wake up in a minute and realise I’ve been dreaming !

:hugs: Suzy

deja true
06-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Darling Suzy! What a JOY!

I could see the fireworks going off between your words...

I'm so happy for you for such wonderful news.

I think you should start a correspondence with the HR manager, e-mail or letter, and get all that down in writing.

And don't forget a journal... your recollections and those of your supportive friends are very important.

Congratulations, brave one...

respect & love,

deja

:<3:

AliciaWeb
06-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Absolutely fantastic! Are you working in wonderland?

TGMarla
06-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Boy, Suzy, this is getting a little scary, eh? It is as though all the pieces are falling into place for you. It's as though fate is falling into some kind of alignment. All your barriers are evaporating. One would almost begin to think that this is meant to be for you.

I'm sure that there are many more details in your life that will require your attention before you reach your final decision. But the last hurdle for you lies in the eight inches between your ears. Only you can seriously answer that last question. But I'm excited and happy for you....and even a little envious. There but for the grace of God go I, as they say.

Wow! What an exciting (and nervous!) time for you!

Chari
06-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Your post is fantastic news and gives hope to many that may fear loosing a secure job position through transition. You are one giant step closer to being the real you! Although the company "talk" is encouraging, it is best to legally protect yourself with written signed/dated documentation as some may deny this or any other conversation related to your situation ever took place. Please continue to take care and protect yourself!

Nadia-Maria
06-18-2008, 08:49 AM
I feel very happy for you. Congratulations !

Love

Nadia

KandisTX
06-18-2008, 09:16 AM
BRAVO SUZY... The stories of your adventures get more and more entertaining as they go along. I cannot wait for the next installment sometimes.

Kandis:love::rose2:

Leslie Foxx
06-18-2008, 09:25 AM
It's encouraging to see there are some enlightened employers that will come to bat for their people. Awesome!

MJ
06-18-2008, 09:27 AM
wow thats so cool suzy . just take your time i wish you all the best remember i am a phone call away my friend

Sally2005
06-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Great experience! Your friends sound wonderful!

I think I read somewhere that Austraila has laws to protect CDers so it shouldn't be a surprise that an employer will try to protect themselves. I'm happy to hear your HR manager is supportive. Like the other's say, keep records just in case the HR manager is replaced and things change. It is an insurance (actually same goes for any employee...documentation is a powerful negotiating tool when looking for a good termination package). Actually, it may even be a good idea to consult a lawyer before your major change at work.

Eileen
06-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Suzy that is wonderful news. You will find you will really start enjoying your life so much more. In my case most do not know, but everyone other employees and customers are great! You do work for a great company.

Eileen

janet1234
06-18-2008, 11:23 AM
SOOOOOOOO happy for you; more good reports from Australia.
I hope to meet you at SCC.
Janet

pamela_a
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Great news Suzy. It looks like hurdles are quickly falling by the wayside. Follow your heart in wherever you go from here and know we are always here for you.

-Paula-

JessieB
06-18-2008, 11:50 AM
That truly is tremendous news. Really great. There are in fact truly enlightened people in the world. I presume, however, that it will be a huge commitment from you as well as your company, as I imagine they will expect you to transition to fulltime, all the time, no switching back and forth, at least on the job. Is that correct? But even so, it's wonderful, and I'd do it in a hearbeat.

Sharon
06-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Very cool, Suzy, it sounds like it's clear roads ahead. Congratulations both for your bravery and for your employer as well. :)

Niya W
06-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Funny thing. When I read this title I thought hell, the only way you could go further is to go full time..

Ops can I say hell ??

vivianann
06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Suzy your life is changing for the better because you have shared your desire to dress as a woman with your friends/coworkers. I am so happy for you, and am looking forward to reading your progress as you transition after you attend southern comfort. I will be attending southern comfort and hope to meet you there. I think it is wonderful that we can wear the clothes that makes us feel better about ourselves. When you finally transition what will you wear to work? will it be skirts and dresses, or womens pants?

Sonia Kiss
06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
What a fantastically happy story Suzy! I'm so excited for you. It sounds like absolutely like this will work for you. Just take time to work with HR and everybody you need to to make it all go as smoothly as possible. You're going to love it! Sonia

Sam-antha
06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Congrtulations on your choice of friends and employer and their understanding. Your bravery too. Things really did fall into place during that phone call. Just imagine you are a long distance celeb.

Higgzzes to you from ~Samm

Lisa Rose
06-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Boy-o-boy-o-boy-o-boy.:cheer::^5::jumping::twirl::w00t::yippee::yrtw :

sterling12
06-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Does your company have any branches in The States? Great story Darlin', I am so happy for you.

I would only counsel to go a little slower than you think necessary. The One Manager has said it's fine, but don't give them anything to think you have "stepped over the line." As quickly as the privileges are given, they can be taken away!

What would be cool, is if you can find some type of written company policy about the situation. Things in writing always seem to carry "weight."

By the way, I'm going to try and make plans for Atlanta. At least to get up there by the weekend. I know Joann will be there, so if you don't see me representing for Tri-Beta, say Hi to our mutual friend.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Farrah
06-18-2008, 04:28 PM
I am so happy for you. You sound so exciting. I'm sitting here getting excited with you.

TxKimberly
06-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Wow how VERY cool Suzy! I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you that everything will turn out well and you will be happy.
I think transitioning in the work place happens more often than you might think. In my job, I've visited some very male oriented companies (Caterpillar, Cummins, etc) and they have had people transition there. You could you imagine the courage it would take to transition in an ultra male evironment like that?
I also know that MY company has several that work at our corporate head quarters in MA. Of course I know about them by hearing others talking trash, but none the less, the company supported them.

You just don't do things half arsed do you? :-)

Sarah...
06-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Wow, Suzy! Your post sounded so happy, excited, full of wonderment, awe and surprise that I was positively fizzing with excitement for you. I'm desperate to hear how it all goes...

Sarah...

Angie G
06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
That's great news Suzy and I wish you all the luck in the world it works out for you if you go there hun. :hugs:
Angie

jennifer41356
06-18-2008, 09:25 PM
so very very very COOL:love::love:

CD Susan
06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Suzy, I am so happy for you! It sounds like you work for a great company. I admire your outlook on your future and wish you the best.

whitelace
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Congradulations! to you ! and may I applaud your friends for their intervention & the HR person for her open minded judgement. I'm sure you'll you set a great example for others to follow..... welcome to the beggining....Lacie

uknowhoo
06-18-2008, 10:51 PM
HOOOOOLY MOLY, Suzy!!!! Congrats on these fabulous developments! :cheer: I'm so happy and excited for you!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful news with us! xoxo Tammi

Suzy Harrison
06-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Thank you all for your love and support. I've had more contact with the HR manager and things are looking so good. I have to make sure I don't rush things ... so my plans are unchanged. It's good that the company knows as well as my friends, as it's saves all the secrecy. Now I can chat to my friends about clothes and make up all day !

Jessie B:
I imagine they will expect you to transition to fulltime, all the time, no switching back and forth,

I wouldn't want it any other way. You can't go in one day a girl and the next a guy ~ I would want to be consistant..

Vivianann:
When you finally transition what will you wear to work? will it be skirts and dresses, or womens pants?
It will be skirts and dresses. I haven't come all this way just to wear pants !

Alicia Web:
Absolutely fantastic! Are you working in wonderland?

Not quite, but you may be surprised to learn I used to live just 20 miles away from you in Camberley, Surrey. I used to go to the Basingstoke shops pretty often...... I hope it's easier now to park the car there now, than it used to be !

Alana65
06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
I am sooooo happy that things seem to be working out for you Suzy. Congratulations !!!!

:^5::thumbup::yippee::Party2:

JessieB
06-19-2008, 10:53 AM
[COLOR="Blue"]I wouldn't want it any other way. You can't go in one day a girl and the next a guy ~ I would want to be consistant..Good girl. That's how I would want it, too. I'm so relieved and excited for you.

Vivian Best
06-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Suzy, one bit of advice, Don't wake up! Continue with that dream. Congratulations.

Jilmac
06-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Suzy, That is such great news. I certainly hope it isn't a dream. Bravo for you girl, I hope your transition goes a smoothly as the approval of your employer. Luv and :hugs: Jill

DeeDeeB
06-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Just one question...are they hiring?

Dee :fairy1:

paulaN
06-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Wow!!! Suzy. I am so happy for you.

Fab Karen
06-19-2008, 04:11 PM
If you decide that's what you want, that's great.

SusanMarie
06-19-2008, 07:26 PM
:yrtw:

Laura_Stephens
06-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm very happy for you and wish that all companies were as understanding.

Sally24
06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Just keep repeating "There's no place like home.......There's no place like home........"

Fantastik news Suzi! Congratulations!

Bethany38
06-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Suzy,
I have to say that I never would have guessed the out come of that when I first started reading it.:believeit: I am soooo very happy for you, and I don't even know you. I myself do not think that I would ever want to tranition, but I am extremely excited for you. Just knowing that you are going to be able to see your dream come to fruition is very inspiring. I have not been apert of this place very long, but this place has become very important in my life. I have learned so much since joining here. Now I read what is probably one of greatest examples of life being kind to someone. Sometimes life can be oh so very cruel. You have been given a great gift from life. And once again I have to say to you I am sooo happy for you. You rock on girl:gfi:

Maria2222
06-19-2008, 08:25 PM
So that's why they call it Oz. How fortunate for you to have two such wonderful friends also. Best of luck and tell us how it goes. :hugs:

vivianann
06-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Vivianann:
It will be skirts and dresses. I haven't come all this way just to wear pants !

Thanks for your answer to my question, I love your answer, I am so proud of you. I would not wear any kind of pants either if I were you.

Suzy Harrison
06-21-2008, 03:17 AM
The other day, I E-mailed some photos of myself to the HR Manager / Director over east.

TodayI received a text message on my phone from her saying, she "Can't wait to meet Suzy". So far so good :)

Next week I intend to visit my doctor (en-femme) to get a referral to see a therapist to get things established.

PS: Also I go for the first of the laser treatments on Monday

annabellesmooth
06-21-2008, 03:46 AM
great news susi,... goodonya for the courage to live the life :love:

Sally24
06-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Also I go for the first of the laser treatments on Monday
That's the first thing to get taken care of before you start transitioning. Being en femme 24/7 is so much easier when facial hair is not part of your prep time!

Edwina
06-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Wonderful news Suzy, I wish you all that is good in the future.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the flight to
Atlanta might be en femme after all :heehee:

:love:

Edwina

deja true
06-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Oh gosh, Suzy!

That slow meandering ride down the stream is finally getting to within earshot of that waterfall,isn't it?

And the ride form here on, as the stream starts moving faster, will be one thrilling ride!

Enjoy it, sweetheart. Many have gone before and many are coming after.

Wave to all the girls on the bank who are happy for you and cheering you on!

love,

deja

:<3:

TGMarla
06-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Well, Suzy, it's like the perfect storm has come together. It makes your head spin! Doctors appointments and laser treatments? Here we go! I'd say you'll make a lovely woman, but then, you already are! :battingeyelashes:

vivianann
06-22-2008, 04:07 AM
looks like your dreams are comming true, you are so lucky, and like Marla says you are a lovely woman. :hugs: Viv.

TxKimberly
06-22-2008, 07:42 AM
No joke Suzy - when you decide to move, you MOVE. Aint no grass growing under you!

Suzy Harrison
06-22-2008, 08:53 AM
No joke Suzy - when you decide to move, you MOVE. Aint no grass growing under you!

You're right Kim and I know it might be time to slow things down a bit before I get too carried away. But today I couldn't resist it... I was in the city shopping.. and before I went home I decided to go into work.

It's a Sunday so the office is empty, but it's a psychological boost for me to do this. It felt strange to go in and sit at my desk and spend time there as a female. It was just something I needed to do to see how it felt, I liked the feeling a lot.

TGMarla
06-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Good for you, Suzy! And you might as well start getting used to it, if this is what you're going to do. It's a big step (Marla exercises her penchance for understatement!), and once you do it, I guess there's no turning back. The euphoria you feel now may not be there a few years from now, but perhaps it can be replaced with a smile and a sigh of contentment. I'm so happy for you that all this is going so well so far!

And with you in it looking like the lovely woman you are, your office never looked so good!