PDA

View Full Version : All She Wanted? Painted Toes In Heels.

Lara Smith
06-20-2008, 05:03 PM
I saw a network news piece last night about women returning from war in the Middle East. A small pretty young blonde who had lost one of her legs beneath the knee said, "All I wanted to do was to be able to come home and see pretty painted toes in a pair of high heels. I just wanted to feel pretty again."

And it struck that isn't that just exactly what we all want too? To just feel pretty and feminine and sexy?

All the women were meeting in a support group so that they could get back in touch with being girly after serving in the horror of war, and be able to cry and hug and share, and above all, feel womanly and pretty again.

Very profound.

Emily Anderson
06-20-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure that's so profound, but certainly heart-touching stuff devised by the media to keep us watching their stupid shows.

I'd call it exploitation of the girls and the masses... despite the fact I'm sure these girls were genuinely distressed.

Karren H
06-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Funny thought... I've chatted with TG service men in Iraq and overseas... and that's what they want too!!! lol

sissystephanie
06-20-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure that's so profound, but certainly heart-touching stuff devised by the media to keep us watching their stupid shows.

I'd call it exploitation of the girls and the masses... despite the fact I'm sure these girls were genuinely distressed.

Emily, you are certainly entitled to your opinion! But isn't that being pretty cynical? Those girls probably saw more horror than most of can fathom. And the one girl had lost a leg! Why wouldn't they want to get back to being feminine and girly again? I say HooRah! for the network for showing it!

BTW, I wish I could have showed off my pretty painted toes after I came back from Korea!

Sissy/Stephanie
Lady on the outside, but man underneath

Emily Anderson
06-20-2008, 06:10 PM
Emily, you are certainly entitled to your opinion1 But isn't that being pretty cynical?

Of course it's cynical!

I don't trust the media in general because they have a job to do and goals to meet, just as in any other job. Individually, they are measured against specific performance criteria, which means that they portray whatever needs to be portrayed in order to meet their personal objectives.

It takes a tough jounalist to go against the grain.

Sara Jessica
06-20-2008, 09:36 PM
I think it's heartbreaking no matter what one's position is on the war. Put yourself in her shoes, not a pun but fully intended. This particular soldier girl was not only robbed of a basic part of human functionality but also of a portion of her femininity, something a typical male soldier would not need to contend with. And IMHO this is not something that is even remotely related to anyone living about the TG continuum.

Rachel Morley
06-20-2008, 10:09 PM
That's interesting ... and I can totally believe every word of it.

Can you imagine how it was for her ... totally out numbered by all those manly army men, in the middle of the desert, searing heat, no air conditioning, hideous rough army fatigues, presumably no makeup allowed (I feel ugly without makeup) and not a feminine experience to be had anywhere!

No wonder she missed (what was for her) some of the nicer things in life! ....and yes, it is what we want too :D