PDA

View Full Version : Using a real photo for your avatar

Sapphire
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
It took me about a year to decide on joining this forum and over a year later I have finally decided to substitute a real photo as my avatar. This was a decision I thought hard about, but which I now feel happy with. Another recent thread explored the motivation that drives crossdressers to place their photos on the internet and the general thrust of the responses seemed to be that it is an act of self affirmation – a view that I share. I wonder what went through the minds of other contributors to this forum in and around the time when they decided to use a real photo as their avatar. No doubt some may still be agonising over whether this is a step too far whereas others are long past that stage.

Farrah
06-20-2008, 07:12 PM
It took me a few months. I finally decided to post my real pic for my avatar.

TxKimberly
06-20-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't recall giving it much thought to tell you the truth. By the time I joined this forum I'd been out and about quite a bit and had plenty of pics to choose from. At first i went with one from my jamie Austin makeover oh so long ago because it made me feel happy and pretty.
By the way - YOUR avatar is darling! What took ya so long?

Deborah Jane
06-20-2008, 07:19 PM
I thought about posting a photo in my avatar for a few months before finally deciding too.
In the end i just decided it was something i really needed to do for myself as part of my accepting who i am.

"Mary"
06-20-2008, 07:21 PM
I had some reservations, but eventually concluded that the downside/threat was low probability.

At any rate, I for one, am glad you did make the swap to a very pretty avatar. Love the hairdo! I find that girls with nice features, like you, have more luck with such hairdos that present more of their face.

Thanks for sharing.

Babette
06-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I fretted over this for while and finally took the plunge. Its good to put a name with a face. As for anyone that still feels anxious about posting their real picture, I really do understand.

Babette

Stormgirl
06-20-2008, 07:54 PM
You ladies are brave,until I get out of the military I will not show my face in my avatar. My Heat bank robbing picture will have to suffice.

Amy Hepker
06-20-2008, 08:02 PM
I waited for a really good picture of me before I posted a real pic of me in my Avatar.

jennifer41356
06-20-2008, 08:09 PM
I posted mine because I am not ashamed of who I am..I am proud to have a fem side:love:

RylieCD
06-20-2008, 08:17 PM
You are an inspiration. You show those of us that are still in the closet that there is nothing to be affraid of, maybe one of these days I will believe that :eek:. Also My wife and I look at these pics together and see that many are very modest and that not flamboyet, So there shouldnt be too much to be affraid off right???

TGMarla
06-20-2008, 08:19 PM
I thought about posting a photo in my avatar for a few months before finally deciding too.
In the end i just decided it was something i really needed to do for myself as part of my accepting who i am.And what a loss it would be for us if you hadn't decided to!!! :love:

And Sapphire? Your avatar is very pretty. I think you made a terrific decision. Welcome to the forum!

Kay Sterling
06-20-2008, 08:27 PM
It's funny you started this thread as I just put my picture in my avatar this week. I was very nervous about how I would look but took the plunge anyway.

deja true
06-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Well, even though I posted a number of pics of myself in that Be-All thread (those were my first pics ever posted) I'm still gonna continue to use art. I'm not afraid anymore, I just think the art is prettier than my skinny ol' butt! :D

MJ
06-20-2008, 08:58 PM
for me i have nothing to hide . it's choosing the right avatar thats the problem .
when i try to use some form of art i get asked too many times why no avatar .
so i try my best ...

Jonianne
06-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm glad you decided to go with a real picture. Everyone has to balance their own risks, but I really like being able to see all the lovely, lovely people that we all are.

Daintre
06-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I alternate avatars often between actual photos and cartoon characters. I think it gives members a break from looking at my mug to often.

boy2girl31
06-20-2008, 09:25 PM
The only thought I had about posting my pic was "If I can't be open with these people who can I be open with" and so far everyone here has been wonderful. love ya all.

CD Susan
06-20-2008, 09:33 PM
When I first joined this site a little over two months ago I did not have the nerve to post a pic in my avatar. After two months of reading hundreds of threads and starting a few of my own I lost that inhibition that prevented me from showing my face. There have been other threads on this same subject and it is good to see this subject disscussed here again. Reading threads like this one gave me the inspiration to post my first pic here on this site. It is a decision I am happy I made.

Stephanie Brooks
06-20-2008, 09:36 PM
It's great to see everyone's photo!

I came out in '96, so posting a real image hasn't been an issue. Now unfortunately I'm kinda slammed back into the closet, but I can still use my own photos. Current one is a few years old, but it's real. The only issue is with my wife.

sissystephanie
06-20-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm not in the military, but too many people know my face to show it openly. Doing so could not only hurt my career, (yes I am still working) but also damage my reputation with the church groups I work with. Not all of them are as Christian as they would have one believe!

If you can identify me by my avatar, more power to you!

Sissy/Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

victoriamwilliams1
06-20-2008, 10:05 PM
When I first started on the net it took me a while, now I do not care if my photo is seen since for the most part most of us do look 180 deg different.

Karren H
06-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Took me a couple minutes.... lol and thousands of photos and movies later...

SweetCaroline
06-20-2008, 10:08 PM
I use the most feminine pic I have. It was taken after a transgendered Fashion show I was in.

I don't care if any one I know from RL recognizes me. I'd just ask them what they are doing hanging out about TG sites. ???:eek:

Laura_Stephens
06-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Since I am well known in the industry I work in, I won't be using real photos. Hope everyone here understands.

Celeste
06-20-2008, 11:42 PM
I flirt with the idea of putting my pic up all the time and I actually do put it in my album every now and then and then take it down.Before I post a permanent pic as my avatar I want it to look totally different than me in male mode.I mean I want to be so far away from my male look that there would not even be a slight hint. The other side of the coin is really my own personal fear of doing it ,and I will eventually come to terms with it.I am really appreciative of everyone who does put their's up because it keeps me in a positive mood about it .hopefully I will get what I want out of my photos and post a good avatar in the near future.

MalibuJenny
06-20-2008, 11:47 PM
I must be a pure narcissist because I used a photo as my avatar from the very beginning and never even gave it a second thought.

Natasha2
06-20-2008, 11:55 PM
i plan on starting at the botom and slowly working my way up...lol
Nat
xox

Claire3
06-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Just seemed to be a nice and the right thing to do.

Lara Smith
06-21-2008, 02:26 AM
I like my girl side. It makes me so happy to look in the mirror and see a girl, well...woman now. I constantly forget how old I am lol. This forum seemed like a suitable venue. My pics are so far from the me that I present on a daily basis, there was nothing to fear.

GINA-CD
06-21-2008, 02:39 AM
well, I used anime as my avatar because I love how she looks and that's my target, but if you want to know my real self just go to my profile and I have a pic there. I thought that was a good way to show myself to the world.

Suzy Harrison
06-21-2008, 03:02 AM
I didn't think twice about posting a photo ~ but I thought hard on which one to post ~ I think this is my best

tricia_uktv
06-21-2008, 03:25 AM
I had already posted photos on the Internet so it didn't take me any time. Anyway, were all proud of ourselves aren't we.

Keely
06-21-2008, 06:07 AM
It was a tough decision for me but then I finally thought what the hey and just did it. I've been through about a dozen different ones.

Tina Dixon
06-21-2008, 06:33 AM
This is a pretty safe place to be when it comes to pictures but it didn't take me long to post once I had some to show.

Angie G
06-21-2008, 06:35 AM
My wife insists I keep my mustache so I can't look to girly so a good feminine pic ain't hoppening so it just my best looking part the legs. I love your avatar pic you look so good you must post some more pics Sapphire.:hugs:
Angie

Gisele
06-21-2008, 06:37 AM
It just felt right to show who I am. No regrets what so ever.:)

Sally24
06-21-2008, 06:45 AM
I didn't consider using a non-photo avatar. When I'm "talking" to someone on-line it is much easier to relate when you have a real face to match to the thoughts. I had also already started going out in public so a photo on the Internet was really no big deal. I was careful with the backgrounds for awhile though.lol

Glenda
06-21-2008, 07:58 AM
I did not use an avatar for many years. I finally decided to buy a digital camera recently and did not hesitate to post my picture. I just like being able to associate a face with a name.

Edwina
06-21-2008, 08:04 AM
I started with a shadow photo oh my legs, heels and skirt. When I bought my wig I was amazed at the difference it made and I took the plunge. Since then I have rung the changes, more so since I acquired my forms, and finally (for now) settled on this one.
If anyone manages to recognize me they will get a prize after I ask them what they were doing here in the first place :)

:love:

Edwina

Christineblake113
06-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Your avatar photo looks great. A smart business woman motif.

I put up my avatar photo pretty quickly and I'll admit it was sort of a vanity thing. With so many good looking gurls here I felt that I had to join in. Still no face shot though as I haven't done anything with makeup to really top things off. Also, still a little shy.

Christine

Ashlee
06-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Once I had a pic of me from makeovers I posted it up here. I don't remember if I found this site before or after I had a pic but it was the wanting of Ashlee to be introduced to all of us that made me do it. I like the current pic, I may switch it up with another pic after a makoever in the future.

Crissy Kay
06-21-2008, 09:26 AM
I alternate avatars often between actual photos and cartoon characters. I think it gives members a break from looking at my mug to often.

I agree with Jenni!!!! Also, as others have said, its very unlikely that you will be recognized by anyone you know while in fem mode!!!

celeste26
06-21-2008, 09:48 AM
The only reason it took so long for me was the lack of pictures that might be used. All of my pictures were of the analog type until recently and as soon as I got some digital ones I had my favorites up on the web and as my avatar.

tamarav
06-21-2008, 10:16 AM
The only reason that it took me nine nanoseconds to decide to post a real picture is because I had to pick just one. I am so indecisive that I had to find one that represented me appropriately. Since my web site has been up for over 10 years I felt that anyone that really wanted to know the real me had already done so.

Tami

BLACK STOCKINGS
06-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Here is a link to a website that will take any picture and create an aviatar to the size you need it.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

MsJanessa
06-21-2008, 10:57 AM
I must be a pure narcissist because I used a photo as my avatar from the very beginning and never even gave it a second thought.

ditto for Me too---I had been dressing and going out for years when I found this site---my femme self looks so different then my butch side that anybody looking, even close friends and relatives wouldn't know--

Kayla_CD
06-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Because of my work I'm not able to post a pic of myself en femme and I feel like a neck down shot is cheating. I would love to be able to post a face pic, maybe if I get a convincing makeover I would post it.

But I really do think that avatar pics do define us more than anything else on this site. I associate the pics with the posters. Some faces really stick in my head and I feel like I know them better. I often take the opinion of someone who has a face pic as more credible than someone who does not.

That's my real motivation for wanting to post a face pic, I want you to know who I am and that I have nothing to hide. As it is, I do have something to hide and how can you really get to know me if that's the case?

PS. I look nothing like the animated lady in my avatar.

Kristen Marie
06-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I was a lurker to begin with and was so impressed with the ladies that did post their photos, that I wanted to use this as a way of saying who I was. At first, the avatar were full body shots, showing some face, but not a lot. Now I am happy to post head shots...and smiling head shots.

flacindycd
06-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Ive used my real pics for years...Hey if someone sees me ..I ask well why were YOU looking at those sites? usually they r speechless or it turns out they are a cd/tgirl or big admirer in either case it usually ends there...

Billie1
06-21-2008, 02:47 PM
It's funny that this thread came up, because until just recently, I had been using my photos. I changed for two reasons: One, I can't get my new dig camera to talk to Mr. Computer. No new pics, yet, but I'll get it figured out soon. (I hope!) Two, (yea, right), this is really my new look!

Richelle
06-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't recall giving it much thought to tell you the truth.

I am like Kimberly. I had this great photo taken at Glamour Shots so why not share it.

Richelle

Sarah...
06-21-2008, 05:03 PM
When I have the right hair and make-up then I will. Until then my mugshot, to me, is far too terrifying to inflict on everyone. I have an almost irrational fear of not being pretty enough to be seen as female, probably because I've wanted it for so long.

Watch this space!

Sarah...

srinn
06-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Ive used my real pics for years...Hey if someone sees me ..I ask well why were YOU looking at those sites? usually they r speechless or it turns out they are a cd/tgirl or big admirer in either case it usually ends there...

Exactly. This is why I don't fear that someone would recognize me here. My avatars are low quality anyways and I have to buy a good camera first to get any good photos of me, but that would be the only thing I would use it for and therefore a waste of money imo.

Kimberly
06-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I've got to say that the desire to post pictures was born more out of seeing others do so. I didn't hesitate very much putting my photo on here, because I thought if any of my RL friends saw it, they were on here for the same reason I was!
So far, no one from RL has seen any pics of me on this website.

linnea
06-21-2008, 05:44 PM
I think that it is an affirming act though I've been told that there are some risks because the site is open to any visitors. I'm not worried about that any more.

KatieZ
06-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I posted my pic soon after joining this site. I'm too old to care if someone recognizes me on here. And it's way too late to out me as both of my ex-wives have already done that. LOL

Beth-Lock
06-21-2008, 09:18 PM
I just got around to trying to post a drawing as an avatar. I am not so sure about posting a picture as avatar. We will see.

Lesley Ann
06-21-2008, 09:25 PM
I'd love to post my photograph, I have tried, and tried and tried again with no success. I will just for old time sake try again now. Here's wishing me luck! Lesley Ann.:cry: No luck, I keep getting a notice up from my net provider saying that I do not have the correct address, oh well, that's life.........

Audrey34
06-21-2008, 09:28 PM
I was quite scared to put my picture up as my avatar. I thought somebody I knew would see it and tell all my siblings about me. Of course that was a very silly excuse as it turned out. Now I'm thinking of putting up a new photo only I'm not satisfied with it!
-Audrey

gillian1968
06-21-2008, 09:34 PM
It was about 2 years for me. That week in March I had a makeover and went out for the first time in public - it was exhilarating. I figured it was time, definitely a moment of self affirmation for me.

Great topic, Sapphire!

DianaGomez
06-21-2008, 09:58 PM
I thought it was obvious to everyone my avatar is my real photo.....

trannie T
06-22-2008, 08:35 AM
It took me a long time to post my photograph. It was not because I was afraid to post it or had any fear of being discovered but because I'm so technoligically inept it took a long time to move the photo from my camera to the computer.

debbeelee1
06-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm glad I got the courage to post mine, even though it took hundreds of pics to get a half way decent one!

Jonianne
06-26-2008, 06:23 AM
I enjoy seeing all the picture avatar's, it's nice to see who you are talking to!

Mine is my first picture my wife took of me fully dressed in 2000 and guess what - The camera actully broke, so I only got the one picture! I liked it, so I've used it to show the people that I've opened up to.

If someone remembers me from RHO - TAU, send me a message.

JamieOH
06-26-2008, 06:41 AM
I posted my picture, as soon as I was able to join. Because I agree it is important to put a face with a name.. People like to see who they are talking to. That being said, I am also nervous about it.. My wife hates the idea of me being en femme, and Has never seen me in makeup, she don't even want to hear about it... I only just started to really explore it aggressively, but think the picture should be there, had a heck of a time getting one that looks decent enough to post... still aint pretty, but it'll do for now... ;o)

Jamie S.
06-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Been TG as far back as I can recall. Started CDing when I was around 10. I've recently started to embrace who I really am and I figured that I'd debut the "real" me here for first time publically :D .

MsJanessa
06-26-2008, 07:51 AM
I just got around to trying to post a drawing as an avatar. I am not so sure about posting a picture as avatar. We will see.

Darling you need to smile more!! :)

Sam-antha
06-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Although I was out on the pavements for years before I joined in here, I used this as my Avatar for a while.

The world in here seemed to be so much bigger than the one that I rubbed elbows with in the streets. Then I realised that it was just a different world and here I be, a for real photo and all.
~Samm

KATIE TV
06-26-2008, 08:17 AM
I didn't realy think about it, I am a real computer "numpty" so when I joined I just did what was the easy, that seemed to be a real pic. Also I am not botherd who sees it as it is no secret that I cross dress.

rian
06-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Well I always considered that this forum is a private club , I was encouraged to place only the photos inside the profile albums only to feel little bit safe but then this forum is like home and I hope we are not exposed to the outer world or else I will be in trouble because my enviroment where I live in is hostile to these actions which i love so much.

Darlene Dippy
06-26-2008, 08:49 AM
My ongoing problem is that my camera makes me look older than I am!

You just can't tell from the avitar that I'm only 17.:tongueout

Darlene

rian
06-26-2008, 08:56 AM
when I read this article of yours i decided to place my avatar photo as an encouragement of my part since I started to feel more secure in our forum. I like you all sisters to feel at home yet And due to my social problems I will stay little shy of posting too much of myself.

Joy Carter
06-26-2008, 09:20 AM
The dog pound is looking for me, so I'm taking some very big chances by posting my picture here. Psssst , got any treats ?

Sarah Doepner
06-26-2008, 09:49 AM
I've posted a photo that I fussed with in Picassa. It was the only one I had that would fit the avatar size requirements. Now that I've had time to mess around and load some photos in my gallery, I may end up changing avatar photos one of these days, but I'm getting to like this one.
The choice to post was only hampered by my former job associated with law enforcement. Since I'm retiring from that career, I guess I don't need to worry quite so much about any of this getting back to that community and having a negative impact on my ability to bring home the bacon and occasionally buy a new skirt.

Maddie
06-26-2008, 09:54 AM
It took me 10 sec to post it when i joined and it has changed a few times but always me

Maddie

CharleneT
06-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Sometimes I think I should hide a little... but my feeling is that I want those who read my posts to have a clue what I look like. Makes it seem a bite less removed. I am not "out" to many in my town, so there is some risk. I figure if they find it, they were looking for CD stuff anyhow, probably friendly about it. It took me about a day to decide to put it up.

C.

Jilmac
06-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Sapphire, What a lovely gem of a name. I had wanted to put a picture of myself on my avatar but didn't know how because I'm such a computer dummy. With the help of my SO Jill's profile is now proudly displayed on my avatar. Luv and :hugs: Jill

Trisha
06-26-2008, 09:47 PM
i have been like this all my life and evry one knows so why not :)

EveMarie
06-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Since I read this Thread I decided to return to my original avatar. Taken back in Dec 07, on my computer camera. when I get my hair done and have my GG mistress take another shot, I guess this will do.

Thanks for posting this.

xoxo, Evie

Ashley in Virginia
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
Bah goes the sheep. lol. No thanks, picture avatars aren't for me.

pixitrace
06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I like Tasha68's reasons...and agree - exhiliration (sp.) and self-affirmation.
I do like the anime avitars, and sketches too...as even though they aren't photo-real, they do give insight about the person ~ similar to art telling something about the artist.

Edwina
06-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Here is a link to a website that will take any picture and create an aviatar to the size you need it.

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

I just tried this site and it is so simple it is brilliant :)

I think it should be posted in the "sticky" about avatar photos.
Thank you Black stockings.

:love:

Edwina

Katheryn
06-27-2008, 06:43 AM
You ladies are brave,until I get out of the military I will not show my face in my avatar.

I can understand that, was in the military myself. Saw a "blanket party" for a couple of guys who weren't "normal".

K

Karen Francis
06-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Posting the avatar goes right to the heart of the issue of why this site is better than any other. We are essentially conducting conversations about our lives and how they are affected by our TG circumstances.

Since I can't sit across the table from you in a nice restaurant, have a glass of wine and talk about these things( and numerous other topics that come up), at least when I see the avatar, it allows me to think I am dealing with a real person instead of electrons scattered around the screen, and it lends credibility to the information being bandied about.

Now of course, the avatar you post might not be of you, and all of your postings might be just so much rubbish. But that circumstance is usually exposed fairly quickly and those people disappear...

We are all on a journey here, and if you don't feel comfortable showing yourself to the great unknown I can easily understand that. I hope that you can get comfortable with the whole TG thing in your life and allow this little part of you to surface

Jamie S.
06-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Posting the avatar goes right to the heart of the issue of why this site is better than any other. We are essentially conducting conversations about our lives and how they are affected by our TG circumstances.

Since I can't sit across the table from you in a nice restaurant, have a glass of wine and talk about these things( and numerous other topics that come up), at least when I see the avatar, it allows me to think I am dealing with a real person instead of electrons scattered around the screen, and it lends credibility to the information being bandied about.

Now of course, the avatar you post might not be of you, and all of your postings might be just so much rubbish. But that circumstance is usually exposed fairly quickly and those people disappear...

We are all on a journey here, and if you don't feel comfortable showing yourself to the great unknown I can easily understand that. I hope that you can get comfortable with the whole TG thing in your life and allow this little part of you to surface

Wow, very well put Karen!

Janet Bern
06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
IT took me a few months I think and felt pretty safe putting my picture on here. Have talked to a lot of girls since then. I am glad I did.
Janet

Susancd
06-27-2008, 04:00 PM
I just thought what the hell, and went ahead. I don't think anyone will recognise me, but if they do then I may ask what they are doing looking on this site.

daviolin
06-27-2008, 04:25 PM
As soon as I figured out how to up load pictures I got my real picture posted. The problum I'm having is posting picture in the photo gallery They never seem to up load for me. Anyway I figure if anyone I know see's my picture on this site.... Well they must be one of us girls. So God bless them:)Daviolin

Ruby B
06-27-2008, 07:04 PM
I am just hoping that a casting director will discover me!

Samantha43
06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
It is a risk. I figure if someone I know sees me on this site, they are here for a reason too. I look completey different in feminine mode, so the chances are small.

jayme357
06-27-2008, 08:33 PM
For me, there was never a doubt. I am who I am, and there is no shame in me. For an "oldy but goodie" I'm really rather proud of who I am, and even more proud of the fact that, in my mind, I am a good person (who is having a terrible time typing in these incredibly long fingernails) who continues to make every effort to bring happiness to my friends and family.

Sheri 4242
06-27-2008, 11:19 PM
It took me a couple of months to post my photo, but since I did about a year ago, nobody I know has seen it (or at least nobody has commented). I am positive this is a low-risk place to post a photo, PLUS in our femme selves we do have a relative change in appearance. It is GREAT to have a photo of who you are talking to! Like many of you, I have a high-profile job and am well known where I live, but this has not been a problem!

lizzie
06-27-2008, 11:33 PM
The "avatar" never struck me as a place to put a picture of myself. If I ever did take a picture of myself dressed that didn't seem awful, I would probably just upload it on photobucket. To each their own...

Laura Jane
06-28-2008, 06:12 AM
Never had any worries about posting a photo of myself as my avatar. I doubt anyone would recognise me from the photo (even bigger photos like the profile photo or in the Gallery), because a wig absolutely transforms my look!

tamara
06-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for all your possitive comments. I did not want to put a picture at all in my avatar. I did ot have the confidence to do it. But I have just added my first picture. I hope you like it...

Alie66
06-28-2008, 07:59 AM
I know this may sound cowardly but I dare not put a full picture of me on the site. I travel the whole of the UK on business and it wouldn't help my career to show a full picture of me, so sorry to say I have to stick with this view of me. I'm also no where near as convincing or as good looking as the others shown in this thread so far.

Luv Alie xxx

idashine
06-28-2008, 09:00 AM
"Ever man should know his limitations". Having a recorded image of my outer side does not truly show my inter-vision. So, please forgive me if I live in the real world and dream in the shadows.

Beth-Lock
06-28-2008, 12:26 PM
MsJanessa, I know I am creating an image as a bit of a sourpuss, first posting a photo in the gallery that lacks a smile, and now a drawign that lacks a smile, but in both cases, technical reasons, made my natural, not-too-smiley self, look really, really unsmiley. With the drawing, there were some slips made, and then I could not figure out how to fix them, without erasing all the good drawing. I think I need a drawing pad, rather than just using a mouse and a shaky grip on its movement, but I am broke again, so that does not seem a real prospect right now. So now I have created an impression, I shall have to get a photo of myself to match the drawing! A case perhaps of life taking after cartoons.

Stephanie Brooks
06-28-2008, 12:51 PM
I am just hoping that a casting director will discover me!

Do you have an agent? :)

And yes, I mean it. If it's really a dream that is possible, go for it!

charlie
06-28-2008, 03:00 PM
I had no problem posting a picture, except I hoped it would be a reasonable one. As I go through this CDing, it seems that my tastes change month to month. From these pictures I think it would be hard to tell whom I am, yet would be a help for the people on the forum to see who was talking.

Patti Girl
06-28-2008, 04:45 PM

I don't know. I generally identify someone by their avatar rather than screenname. If it changes, I assume it's someone else.

My wife insists I keep my mustache so I can't look to girly so a good feminine pic ain't hoppening so it just my best looking part the legs.

Same issue here except it's a beard my wife likes. Maybe one of these days.... But she is so good and accepting and encouraging, it's the least I can do for her.

I'm new to the lingo. What's an avatar? And how do you post a picture anyway? gerigirl

An avatar is the little photo or image that you see under our names. Check out the "User CP" on the top left of each page.

Patti

Joann0830
06-28-2008, 08:24 PM
I did not think to much about it as I felt if I am writing about myself on this site it would be nice to show the Real ME. I look at all my photos and try to clean them up and use them, I have a great many photos in an album over 40 years of CD photos since I was about 16 and I will be 60 in August. Its a Wonderful site with Such Lovely Ladies. Joann0830:battingeyelashes::heehee::love:

unclejoann
06-28-2008, 10:11 PM
It has been a long time since I removed my real self avatar, and you have shamed me into taking a new picture and using it. So, I listened, and am pretty pleased with the result.

BTW, this is a dress that I sewed myself.

Beth-Lock
06-29-2008, 10:03 AM
For Angie G.
About mustaches: It is amazing what you can do with a band-aid or two, some make-up and a little photo-fiddling with the result.

Sherry-Stephanie
06-29-2008, 10:33 AM
yes I'm using a real phote for my avitar...one I just took this mornig and uplaoded a few minutes ago...One I;m more pleased to use than my previous picture

serinalynn
06-29-2008, 12:47 PM
<-------ME:daydreaming:

Scotty
06-29-2008, 01:50 PM
I'll put one back up of me when my SO and I discuss this...:)
We already have TG discussions - SHE wants to be a HE and she knows I want to be a SHE......works pretty good but for now baby steps.

Just in case she is visiting up here...

KandisTX
06-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I just recently change from a cartoon avatar to an actual picture. My thought is "If someone I know sees it here and recognizes me, they cannot say anything without outing themselves for being on this site". ;)

Kandis:love::rose2:

Ruth
06-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Well it's all been said. There's no good reason not to, unless you're the kind of gurl who can't handle the techno side of getting a photo out of the camera and uploading it here. (No shame in that, you're probably good at other things.)
As somebody said way back at the beginning of the thread, if you can't be open with your friends here, where can you be open?

EveMarie
06-29-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm new to the lingo. What's an avatar? And how do you post a picture anyway? gerigirl

Gerigirl, click on the "UserCP" you see at the top of the forum, then on the left collumn under "settings and options" you'll see an option for "edit avatar" follow the prompts from there…

any questions, the staff can help get one set up for you.

p.s. avatars are the tiny pics you see under your screen name on the left…

luck, xxx, Evie

27th Jennifer
06-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I just had to wait for a good picture of myself!

darla_g
07-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I started with a photo avatar but got bored with it. Not to mention most people use their photos so it is different. Now i select images that i like and photoshop them to make avatars. I enjoy doing that so I can change my avatars every few days.

kellyann2012
07-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I never thought about it. I guess I feel that you should see who you are communicating with, plus I think it's the right thing to do in this type of forum.

jeanlove
07-07-2008, 10:55 PM
took me an hour to decide :battingeyelashes:
because i had to put on makeup and crop the pic...:heehee:

Scotty
07-07-2008, 11:48 PM
OK I'm back.

SallyDupont
07-08-2008, 04:39 AM
I didn't occur to me to use anything other than a real photograph.

Mydia
07-08-2008, 12:03 PM
My current avy is different than the one I first joined with, but I've always used a pic of myself.

Nicki B
07-08-2008, 12:50 PM
An avatar, IMO, is important to get an idea of who you're talking to.. Even if it's who they'd like you to see them as? :strugglin

In case anyone hasn't noticed, my avatar is actually a pic of Geena Davis - but we're not that dissimilar (she's only a few inches shorter than me and a year or two older :D) and I did come here to play pirates with the boys?

But the pic on my sig below is me, and people seem to recognise me in the flesh from it..

maid phylis
07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
well since i came out and started going to new york to see my girlfriends and as i ride the subway to get there i figures who cares as a million people see me when i am walking downtown to meet them.so my picture is posted as who i am .:love:phylisanne

Michelle_NY
07-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Mine is real also dear. BTW very nice pic

Bev06 GG
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I have to say this is something that I gave some careful thought to. For me there is no wig to hide behind and what you see is really me 24/7. Its all very well me saying I dont care who knows and I'm proud of my CD but he might not be that willing to show himself to the wider world as yet.

With my avatar on display and lots of visitors coming to the site you just never know who might clock you Still I couldn't find anything else to use as a substitute so I stuck with my pic.
Bev

Bev06 GG
07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
An avatar, IMO, is important to get an idea of who you're talking to.. Even if it's who they'd like you to see them as? :strugglin

In case anyone hasn't noticed, my avatar is actually a pic of Geena Davis - but we're not that dissimilar (she's only a few inches shorter than me and a year or two older :D) and I did come here to play pirates with the boys?

But the pic on my sig below is me, and people seem to recognise me in the flesh from it..

OMG Nicki,
I thought it was you with a different hair do. Your not taking the mickey are you because the likeness is striking.Bev

RobertaFermina
07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
First of all, I waited until I had a picture I was pleased with.

Secondly, I decided that someone *might* make out that it was me by seeing *through* my cunning disguise.

Later, I decided I didn't care who figured me out....so I even posted a Guy-pic of myself, and stopped disguising my life-details in posts.

I'd rather be vulnerable to nosy people than live in fear of them.

Kinda like I'd rather Love and risk Betrayal, than remain alone and live in fear of it.

Now that I am no longer *single*, I have to re-think it a bit. I can only be as transparent as is comfortable for both myself and my S.O. There are consequences to us both, and not just myself, now.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Nicki B
07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Your not taking the mickey are you because the likeness is striking.

I wish... :D

Nicki B
07-08-2008, 02:11 PM
..I decided that someone *might* make out that it was me by seeing *through* my cunning disguise.

IME, if you wear a wig, it's not at all likely?

I remember going to meet some friends in Covent Garden - when I got there, they'd met up with a couple of GGs and had ended up in a restaurant (http://www.randallandaubin.co.uk/) in Soho.. :wall: :rolleyes:

So off I traipsed to Soho, to find them sitting eating with two women I'd previously worked with for at least five years - one had done my two-week company induction course?? Well, I sat down and didn't speak much for the first ten minutes or so, thinking my voice would give me away, at least.. But when we split up three hours later, there'd been not one flicker of recognition? And I'd been sitting within a couple of feet, all that time...

People see what they expect to see.

TommiTN
07-08-2008, 02:16 PM
I decided to use a real photo for my avatar. Hey, nobody said it to be a photo of me! Just think of me as a middle aged Betty Page.

S. Lisa Smith
08-13-2008, 07:40 PM

You said it so much better than I could! Thanks!

IMJenn
08-13-2008, 07:53 PM
The only reason I felt comfortable posting my pic as my avatar is because the shadow makes it impossible to see my face...other wise I would be to scared

curse within
08-13-2008, 08:20 PM
I don't see the harm....I would wonder how someone I knew seen it so if that happens I am sure it would stay with who spotted it anyways.

victoriamwilliams1
08-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I figured that I look so different in both modes so I never thought about it.

bah-bah-bobbie
08-13-2008, 11:35 PM
My problem is I am a technolgical nincompoop. I don't even have a cell phone much less a digital camera. In the unlikley event I get a digital camera it will only be from the waist down (assuming I learn how to get picture from camera to computer, remember my first sentence) because I don't think my mustachioed mug belongs here. I'm not much to look at anyway. Seriously, there isn't much to see. I'm 6"4' and 160lbs. I turn sideways and leave a disembodied floating head. I have to stand twice to cast a shadow. I'm not much to look at.

eliot
08-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Posting my avatar was a big step for me in my passage to self affirmation. I dont regret it one bit.

Tina B.
08-14-2008, 09:03 AM
I have put up both, drawings, and photos. I was using a little bear, I thought was cute, but now have gone to a real photo of myself, I worked it over in Photo shop, so no one could tell who it is, but I am working on other newer stuff I hope to use soon. everything I have now is getting kind of old, and I feel phoney using something to old, because I have put on weight and don't look like that anymore.
Tina B.
P.S. I do like seeing all the pictures, of those that are brave enough to use them. But I still go back and forth between wanting to post a picture of myself, and my fear of someone seeing it!

Anna the Dub
08-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I only put my one up the other day. Took me a while. But I don't really care who knows anymore. it's my life, and nothing to do with anyone else.