PDA

View Full Version : Makeup

LilMissBecky
06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Hey ya'll, I was wondering if anyone had any good tips or links to website explaining makeup pretty well. I don't consider myself bad looking really, it's just that when it comes to makeup I really am ALL thumbs, it's awful, lol. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Becky

Darby
06-30-2004, 04:30 PM
It really all depends if you have a 5:00 shadow or you're light haired. Concealers, Pancake, foundations, blush, finish powder, mascara, eye shadow, eyebrow tint, I just bought a set of stencils for the eye brows and am planning to try them tonight. They come as a set of 5 I think and then I got some eye brow tint. I would do makeup for some of the models that I photograph if they cannot afford my makeup artist I use on most shoots and I REALLY enjoy getting really close and doing the girl up and it keeps me in practice to do my own! There are several good web sites (TV/TG) that do a good job about explaining the steps but if you want a few tips, email me.

maidtina
06-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Only recently started in with makeup. Most of it is straight forward, I've worked out a foundation colour that works for me etc. Have discovered that "less is more" in all cases but mascara. However one thing still doesn't work.

How is eye liner supposed to work ? Pencils are too hard to do anything and liquid just seems to go all over the place :-(

Unfortunatly my wife can be of no help here since she simply gave up on eye liner years ago. Yet I think it's a really strong effect that might work for me.

Shy Charlotte
07-01-2004, 06:01 AM
Hey Becky,

Um, there are different styles of makeup you can go with. The light and airy kind (most feminine, goes with bright clothing and loose flowy garments), Office (with minimal makeup, but heavy eyeliner and dark red lipstick), or the underground look with the heavy foundation, dark/black lipstick, heavy eyeliner, and unblended colors (hmm, wonder what category I fall into).

Regarding beard cover, beware. Many times it won't mix well with foundation. It's a thick orange goo that color-neutralizes the bluish tinge of hair under the skin. It also will neutralize your foundation, so be careful. I personally have had success using Sally Hansen's Airbrush Legs on my face.

Foundation should be a matching shade to your FACE skin, which is usually a little lighter than the rest of you. Don't try matching the foundation to your hand, otherwise you'll have a farmer's tan face. If you have a dark complexion, go easy on the foundation, since most are in varying shades of Easter Block Tan, meaning it's probably too light for you. I prefer powder over liquid, since powder doesn't streak as much.

Eyeshadow is alot of fun. The middle shade first is used to cover your entire upper eyelid. Then use the dark eyeshadow to blend from darkest (farthest corners of eye) to lightest (blending should end at middle of eyelid). You can also use the dark to enhance the fold of your eye. To finish, use the lightest hue eyeshadow (or white) to follow the curve from the outer corner of your eyes to the outer tip of your eyebrow. Also put a dab on the inside corner of your eye, where your lacrimal glands are.

Eyeliner, as Maid Tina mentioned, is difficult even for GG's. The trick is 1. Not to blink (easier said than done). 2. You don't have to do it all in one stroke. You're not Michaelangelo, so dab a line rather than streak one. Start from the inner corner to the outer, right at the eyelash line. To do the top close the one eye (never both), and hold down your eyelid by pinning your eyelashes between index finger and cheek. To do the bottom, both eyes must be open. If your solid eyeliner is too hard, a quick pass over a flame should do the trick. Do it till it's the slightest bit shiny at the tip, then allow to cool, and roll it at an angle on a piece of tissue. Liquid eyeliners are wonderful to behold, but beware! If it gets in your eye, it will sting!!! (pepperspray is worse, but not by much).

Blush: Not too much, and if any, from cheekbone angled up toward the temples.

Lipstick: Apply, make a kissy face, and if unevenly spread, press a tissue lightly between lips. For fuller lips, use a lip pencil to outline just a tad outside your lip line. Just on top and bottom of mouth, if you do the sides you'll look like a cheap prostitute (and no, not the good kind).

Hope this helps,

The Shy Beautician

Allison Vamp
07-01-2004, 07:41 AM
It's always good if you can get some advise from someone who is good at it, i used to use all the wrong colors until my wife steered me on the right ones. what looks great on a supermodel doesn't always look so great on me! if you don't have anyone to help you, try this website: http://www.makeoversolutions.com/

you can paste your photo in there and then play around. Make up is my favourite part of dressing up, but its really all about practice, the longer you do it, the better it gets.

Bernadina
07-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Here is a web site that might help. I know Tora personally. I know there are other sites as well butI don't have their addresses. - Dina

http://www.draag.com/index.html

------------------

Hey ya'll, I was wondering if anyone had any good tips or links to website explaining makeup pretty well. I don't consider myself bad looking really, it's just that when it comes to makeup I really am ALL thumbs, it's awful, lol. Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Becky

LilMissBecky
07-01-2004, 11:48 AM
I just wanted to thank you guys for your help. I'll put up a picture whenever I get some new ones done, thanks again :)

Love,
Becky

Darby
07-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Hi Hon,
Go to http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/5885/howto.html
There are alot of good info that I found here!
Enjoy and I want to see a southern belle picture soon!

windycissy
07-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Funny you should ask! I just added a little primer on makeup to my advice column, Ask Windy Cissy (http://snurl.com/askwindy) including a cool link to a web site where you can experiment with all kinds of makeup and hairstyles.