PDA

View Full Version : Hair and hotrods, are they the same thing??

tamarav
06-21-2008, 06:40 PM
As a hair stylist with an uncontrollable love of hair (dah) I really enjoy working on and talking with women about their hair. Yesterday this stunning blonde strolled into the salon looking to have her hair toned. (this is a term that bleached blondes use when they need a touch-up and want to have all their hair color match)

She sat down and I went to work and she started to talk. She was absolutely gorgeous and I could see her face as she talked since I was standing behind her and could look up into the mirror. She started telling me of her problems finding a good man and other typical stuff and then got to her hair.

My post is titled what it is after listening to this woman and actually agreeing with her. She told me that women's hair and hotrods were the exact same "vehicle" in that women had their hair done both for themselves and for other women to admire. She did admit that aware men were drawn to beautiful hair also. Men built hotrods to show off to other men. Both spend money and time to do something that demonstrates to the other cave-men and cave-women that we are proud of what we look like or ride in.

Sort of an interesting concept. I have heard similar things from other women, how they do their hair to show other women how much they care about their themselves. Surely no one on this forum would do that....

She actually told me that crossdressers and drag queens wear beautiful hair to show others how much work they go to to appear female. One of my co-workers started laughing at that line. (she never said anything about me, don't think she figured it out, she was too focused on herself)

I was laughing internally the whole time because I was hitting on both ends that day. My hotrod was sitting right outside and I had great hair. Damn, it just can't get any better than that!

Anyone else see similarities in the demonstrative approach to showing off?

DanaR
06-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Anyone else see similarities in the demonstrative approach to showing off?

No, but do you have any pictures of your car?

linnea
06-21-2008, 06:58 PM
I definitely see the connection. It goes beyond hair and hotrods to all kinds of matters of appearance. In the natural world, birds and other creatures do it too: they make a great effort to preen so that they will good to others both male and female.
In the human world, we often judge people's attitude toward themselves by observing to what extent they dress well and take care of themselves. This would include grooming.

tamarav
06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
OK, attached are a few pics of my hotrod, and other things. The car is a 33 ford Coupe started by my Dad over 20 years ago. I took over after he passed away and finished it about 2 years ago. I only drive it to shows and rarely to work, but I had to get even with some lumberjack at work. (Told me if I dressed like I do I must not be able to do much else, let alone do any mechanical work)

Of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity to slip in a pic of me prior to work yesterday, (yes, I do dress like that at work but I wear a smock when working. I was also going dancing last night)

Tami

celeste26
06-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Doesn't all the mechanical work do a job on your nails? and hands?

Angie G
06-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Love the ride and the otherthings Tamara. :hugs:
Angie

Amy Hepker
06-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I agree with that comment she made. There is a song that says girls dress to please other girls. I do believe it is true, they try to out do other females. They try to get the best male, they try to get the best Dress, the best Body, so on and so on.

kristytv
06-21-2008, 09:19 PM
its more than showing off to a guy, i care but i dont care, is all abbout having cool cars and cars that apeal to me, i love the hot rod life and the moddified cars, every rod or custom is the owners expression, own taste and craftsmanship, (and yes there are girl hot rodders too) which make them all unique,everyone has there own ideas. i love my cars i love to play with them, and my truck earns its keep . as here is my 69 cougar ! kristy

rachel_rachel
06-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Tamara, with an engine bay that clean you surely possilbly couldn't get dirty could you? Oh yeah, That's one cool rod.

Kristy, Please tell me that you've only put that motor in there to see if it fits... As a former panel beater / spray painter, there's nothing worse than seeing something so clean looking surrounded by something that should have had a bit more attention paid to it.
By the way, it looks great.

kristytv
06-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Tamara, with an engine bay that clean you surely possilbly couldn't get dirty could you? Oh yeah, That's one cool rod.

Kristy, Please tell me that you've only put that motor in there to see if it fits... As a former panel beater / spray painter, there's nothing worse than seeing something so clean looking surrounded by something that should have had a bit more attention paid to it.
By the way, it looks great.

yes it was for test fit purposes. as i have to run the ac, install and check the flaming river column, and the efi harnesses. i dont think i want to jam the headers in yet either, lol ,hooker longtubes

Caroline C
06-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow Tami, you are both very pretty. It's nice to see there are other gearheads here.

sarahNZ
06-22-2008, 12:37 AM
I know exactly what you're saying here Tammy, sadly my ride is not as classic or as clean in this photo as yours but the pic tells its own story.

TxKimberly
06-22-2008, 07:48 AM
. . .I was laughing internally the whole time because I was hitting on both ends that day. My hotrod was sitting right outside and I had great hair. . .

Holy smokes! I almost lost it when I read this! What a cute story thanks for sharing.
Now I have this vision of a bunch of red necks swilling beer and watching a hot woman with killer hair walk by:
"Gus, I'll bet she'll do 0 to 60 under 6 seconds!"

EDIT -> Just saw the pics of your car - OMG it's gorgeous!
Here's a pic of my baby, or at least what it looked like before I pulled the engine out, and the hood, front end, and fenders off:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1168/527698717_9fb0a5aa3e.jpg?

Karren H
06-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Sweet wheels, Tami!! and of coarse you look fantastic....

CD Susan
06-23-2008, 04:27 AM
These are all cool looking rides.

karynspanties
06-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Sweet rides. Love that coupe Tami.....

deja true
06-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Yup! Isn't this a tell-tale of one of the differences in mindset between male and female?

Guys like stuff! Their stuff is an extension of their selves. A lot of effort goes into improving their belongings.

Chicks think more personally. And their efforts go into improving their persons.

A gross generalization, for sure, but think about how much time you spend working on yourself in guy mode every morning.

Then compare with how much time you put into getting your girl mode right!

:daydreaming:

TGMarla
06-23-2008, 07:26 AM
You can add clothing to that list, I think. But as human beings, we do lots of things to show off. Status symbols, man! We like showing off our toys. She's saying that to women, their hair is on that list of toys.

LovelyRita
06-23-2008, 07:55 AM
I have seen a movie once...cant remember the title, but I think it was autralian... about human relationships and it was narrated like a national geographic nature show. I was hilarious how it put into perspective what men and women do to attract a mate and how it is so similar to animals building a bigger nest or sparring to get a mate.:heehee:

Amy Lynn3
06-23-2008, 08:11 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaall are cool looking rides. It makes me sad that I just sold my ride. Tam, cute story.