PDA

View Full Version : The Movies

susandrea
06-23-2008, 10:53 AM
I haven't been here in awhile, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed recently.

A. Do you think a 'true' crossdressing story has been fully addressed in America through a wide release film?(Exclude England and any film where crossdressing is really a man in disguise, like 'Tootsie' or 'Mrs. Doubtfire', or any transexual, or drag queen subjects. I'm talking about a 'classic' crossdresser, if there is such a thing. Married, straight, ect...)

B. If such a film were made, what issues would you like to see addressed? (Work issues, problems in marriage, going out for the first time, buying girl stuff, ect.)

C. How much specific detail about crossdressing do you think 'Mainstream America' can handle? (Buying breast forms, going into a woman's public restroom, ect.)

D. Would you rather see a semi-light romantic comedy about crossdressing be on major screens (that deals with the issues of CDing in an 'easy to take' way, that's honest and positive about CDing, yet accessible to the general public -- along the lines of 'To Wong Foo') OR would you rather see a dramatic indie that deeply explored the issue with gritty detail?

Thanks for your thoughts.

S.

Sarah Doepner
06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I've written a few scripts and have attempted to develop a few with a crossdresser theme embedded in the story. I think in a romantic comedy it would work best if the character is as comfortable with their dressing as Clinger was in M.A.S.H. The recent Transamerica did well, using the lead character's gender change as a means of doing Shakespear's mistaken identity ploy, allowing the lead character to interact with his son, but as a stranger. In more dramatic stories there would be more conflict surrounding that crossdresser and it would have to be part of the character arc needing to be resolved. There are a lot of options, but I agree it is a void in the system.

DonnaT
06-23-2008, 12:17 PM
To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995)

Ed Wood

Glen or Glenda, a 1953 Ed Wood film, was probably the closest.

On TV there was Steve Cary, Drew Cary's crossdressing brother.

But I can't think of anything that has been done about a CDing husband and his wife (negative, supportive or semi-supportive).

Bonnie D
06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
A. "Normal" was quite good, it was in a rural setting.
"Breakfast on Pluto" was an excellent film that dealt with a transsexual.

B. I would like to see something in an urban setting, the struggles through youth and onward, the difficulty in buying clothes, first time out, meeting other CDs, online forums and friendships, marital issues - acceptance and non-acceptance, struggle with sexuality, mtf as well as ftm,...

C. There should be more stores for CDs where one can try things on, why aren't there more? Washroom issues, definitely. Many, if not most, CD shopping sites are aimed for those interested in boudoir attire, not day-to-day wear, and the clothes look like they are for women, fitwise. For example, many of the bras expose too much and since we wear forms it doesn't look right.

B. Both styles could have their place depending how they were handled. The comedy should have some drama and the drama (inde) should have some comedy. Sometimes a tragedy will shake people up and there has been enough of that to write something about.

Bonnie

susandrea
06-23-2008, 12:36 PM
'To Wong Foo' was about drag queens. I know it seems like splitting hairs to some, but the motives and life-styles are portrayed quite differently, as they should be.

And Ed Wood was about a director who happened to be a CD, and that issue wasn't exactly 'explored'.

'Normal' is close, but it was about a transexual, and pure drama.

NOT a character. Klinger only dressed to be declared insane enough to go home -- not exactly a positive image (and not a true CD), although it was done gently and with humor.

I'm talking about a story where the lead is a down-to-the bone, modern day CD, and the issues he faces coming out to the world.

Perhaps the closest thing done so far is the British film -- I forget the name right now -- where a CD was kicked out by his wife and lived in a boarding house, eventually falling in love with his landlady. That was done way back in the 80's I believe, and I never even saw it on DVD, so I'd hardly call it Mainstream. Especially here in the U.S.

Sasha Anne Meadows
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
The British film about a CD being kicked out by his wife was called Just Like a Woman. Its protagonist in the plot is an American. I submit that this is probably the most accurate firm ever made that focused on what true cross dressing is all about. The film introduces its auidience to such CD terms as "passing" and "being read." Though the sub plot gets a little silly (taking over the company) its main premise is quite good. I rented the film in the late 1990s (I now own it) and it appeared to be a fairly recent release so I would guess it was released to theaters (if released at all) in the mid 1990s. I highly recommend this to both CDs and non CDs alike. Has anyone else here seen it?

nicensilkey
06-23-2008, 02:18 PM
I had the movie Just Like a Woman, thought it was very well done. After my wife passed away I was dating a gal and could see that it was becoming serious. One evening I played it on the VCR for her and at the end asked her what she thought about the film. She said, 'that's kind of interesting.' I told her, 'I am one of those persons.' This was an easy introduction to my crossdressing and enabled us to have a lot of discussion about it, what it meant to me, and how it would affect our relationship. She has been very accepting of me although she says she doesn't understand it. I tell her that is ok, neither do I. We have been married ten great years now.

Christinedreamer
06-23-2008, 04:49 PM
By all means rent or buy this movie. It is based on a true story and it is quite heartrending in some scenes in ways many of us can identify with. They have fun with it, explore the serious soul searching side of an SO and even add some silliness at the end to satisfy the fantasy crowd. It is very well acted and the protagonist is Adrian Psdar who has mae many appearances in Anmerican films and IMO oneof the best actresses today- Julie waters.

Julie also starred in Billy Elliott as the ballet teacher. She presents a most believable portrayal of a woman conflicted by her original misunderstanding of the concept of CDing and her love for the en drab side of the main character-Gerald.

Fab Karen
06-23-2008, 07:12 PM
A mainstream movie in America about a hetero CD? Don't know of one. "the Crying Game" is probably the most well known movie about a CD, but she was not a person interested in GG's. "Breakfast on Pluto" by the same filmmaker is a story about a CD, but again not someone involved romantically with a GG.

TGMarla
06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
As was said, the problem with Just Like a Woman was the plot. The guy makes a hostile takeover of his company by making a high-powered presentation to the board of directors, all while en femme. Yet not one of them suspected that he was a CD, much less a guy who worked for them. So it fell apart for me there as a movie that was addressing the CD issue.

I liked that his best friend knew, and it didn't phase him. I liked the beginning, where his over-reactive wife tosses all his stuff out their second story window into the street. Not that I would like that to happen to me, but I thought it was an accurate depiction of how women respond when they learn of their husbands' crossdressing. I also liked that his new circle of aquaintences had no problem with his crossdressing as they got to know him.

But we have yet to see a really well made film that directly deals with crossdressing in relationships.

Jilmac
06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Wow Sus, Pretty deep stuff, but very legit. I have seen the movies you mentioned and it's true, none of them have ever tackled the issues facing us in real life. In fact, most movies and/or tv programs showing crossdressers usually portray them as buffoons. I would like to see a real nitty gritty issue intensive movie about a married crossdresser, father of four, active in scouts, a role model for his kids, a hard working blue collar guy with a supportive wife.

I would like to see all the issues you mentioned along with perhaps inquisitive neighbors, church and school, co workers/bosses, sports, travel,etc. The list can go on indefinitely. Instead of portraying us as clowns a movie should bring out the human qualities of crossdressers. I think it would be a more realistic approach to a controversial issue, and perhaps a wake up call to society saying, "hey we're regular people and would like to be treated as such".

I don't think mainstream America is ready for such a movie and I doubt any producer or directer would have the stones to make a movie like that even if society was ready. Although there have been quirky tv programs like Northern Exposure and Picket Fences, nothing has tackled crossdressing head on. Here's an idea, all of us on this forum should write a script, produce and direct a movie ourselves. I'll bet it would win an Oscar for the "most controversial".....Luv and :hugs: Jill
I haven't been here in awhile, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed recently.

A. Do you think a 'true' crossdressing story has been fully addressed in America through a wide release film?(Exclude England and any film where crossdressing is really a man in disguise, like 'Tootsie' or 'Mrs. Doubtfire', or any transexual, or drag queen subjects. I'm talking about a 'classic' crossdresser, if there is such a thing. Married, straight, ect...)

B. If such a film were made, what issues would you like to see addressed? (Work issues, problems in marriage, going out for the first time, buying girl stuff, ect.)

C. How much specific detail about crossdressing do you think 'Mainstream America' can handle? (Buying breast forms, going into a woman's public restroom, ect.)

D. Would you rather see a semi-light romantic comedy about crossdressing be on major screens (that deals with the issues of CDing in an 'easy to take' way, that's honest and positive about CDing, yet accessible to the general public -- along the lines of 'To Wong Foo') OR would you rather see a dramatic indie that deeply explored the issue with gritty detail?

Thanks for your thoughts.

S.

susandrea
06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
For some reason I thought the reason the wife in 'Just Like a Woman' threw his stuff out the window because when she found an article of woman's clothing that wasn't hers she thought he was cheating.

I could be wrong.

Anyway, I've searched for ages and have never found a well known American film where the lead is a true CD and the story is basically about his struggles AS A CD.

I've also found that nearly no one 'out of the CD loop' knows the difference between a CD, a DQ, and a transexual.

BillieJoe
06-24-2008, 12:28 AM
Although not an American movie the British had put out a movie called 'I Want What I Want'. It was taken from the book of the same name. It didn't follow the book 100% and had a few twists in the movie. It was about a CD/TS and the relationship he/she developed between her father, sister and friends. Quite interesting.

Christinedreamer
06-24-2008, 08:00 AM
"Bruno" by director Shirley McClaine may be the closest to a true American CD film. Crossdressing's acceptance the community as a whole, a well written soliquiy by an 8 yeard old kid on the concept od "dreasses" on men through the ages.

Very entertaining and insightful as well.

LindaMarie
06-24-2008, 09:02 AM
As others have noted, Just Like A Woman is probably the most understanding and respectful portrait of a crossdresser that's been presented in a fairly mainstream movie (I use "fairly mainstream" loosely since it was a "little" film that never received much publicity).

The protagonist is very sympathetic. He's a good guy who just happens to love wearing women's clothes. The relationship with his landlord / girlfriend is handled very well (though perhaps she accepts it all a bit too easily).

The movie does go off track for the last 20 minutes or so. The hostile takeover plot is pretty silly and the climatic scenes are kind of...at the risk of repeating myself, silly. I think the filmmakers had a really cool idea (present a sympathetic portrait of a crossdresser) and didn't know how to end the movie.

Maybe we won't see a mainstream American movie that's mostly about crossdressing, but maybe we can hope for a supporting character who's a crossdresser. I'm thinking how Once And Again presented a very sympathetic view of two teen age girls expressing their romantic feelings for each other. It was very sweet, played straight and very well done. We'll see.

Any producers out there?

Linda

skirting
06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
There is a new show coming to FX this fall (maybe) called "Pretty Handsome" that is all about a married with kids, fully closeted CD/TG. There is a 'preair' torrent making the rounds and the show isn't bad.

I've come to suspect all the new shows getting their pilots released early to the internet is being done by the studios to get a free focus group reaction. :)

CaptLex
06-24-2008, 10:16 AM
There is a new show coming to FX this fall (maybe) called "Pretty Handsome"
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84881

You kids are just messing with me now, aren't you? :raisedeyebrow:

yms
06-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately, it appears to be about a man who is a transsexual and seeks GRS:

Pretty Handsome
(http://www.tv.com/Pretty-Handsome/show/74691/summary.html)
Sigh!

There is a new show coming to FX this fall (maybe) called "Pretty Handsome" that is all about a married with kids, fully closeted CD/TG. There is a 'preair' torrent making the rounds and the show isn't bad.

I've come to suspect all the new shows getting their pilots released early to the internet is being done by the studios to get a free focus group reaction. :)

yms
06-24-2008, 10:29 AM
There is a very good French-made film (subtitled) called "Ma Vie En Rose." It is about a small boy, maybe four or five years old, who prefers dresses, makeup, dolls and so on.

What made this film so lovely was the boy's complete unawareness that what he was doing was wrong, and the devastating effect it had on his family.

When neighbors learn about the boy, his father loses his job and the family is socially ostracized. They have to move to a less exclusive neighborhood. Ultimately, the mother decides to embrace and support her son, and the story takes an interesting turn at that point.

yms
06-24-2008, 10:34 AM
It is very well acted and the protagonist is Adrian Psdar who has mae many appearances in Anmerican films and IMO oneof the best actresses today- Julie waters.

Julie Waters was in "Educating Rita." I loved that film.

Shadeauxmarie
06-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Why not Tootsie? I always thought Dustin Hoffman was ugly as a woman. Like me. Was hetero. Like me. Learned to deal with women as a woman. Like me.

Romantic comedy, large release, Best supporting actress.

Emily Anderson
06-24-2008, 11:57 AM
I would like to see a deep and meaningful film that has mass public appeal and addresses all the issues you evoked.

I'm fed up with seeing romantic comedies and other types of film that make light of crossdressing.

Comedy is fine, but not at the expense of the crossdresser. It is a SERIOUS topic, which merits respect.

yms
06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Why not Tootsie? I always thought Dustin Hoffman was ugly as a woman. Like me. Was hetero. Like me. Learned to deal with women as a woman. Like me.

Romantic comedy, large release, Best supporting actress.

I liked this movie - especially when Hoffman says something to the effect of "I was more of a man as a woman..." The movie does explore a lot of gender roles in all the characters.

But Tootsie, like other movies ("Some Like It Hot") uses the plot-line that the guy doesn't want to crossdress, but has to in order to make a living. He's compromised into doing it.

jenniferj
06-24-2008, 12:26 PM
As I recall (it's been many years) Tootsie had pretty much gotten into character by the end of the movie. Didn't she and the Jessica Lange character get into some banter about sharing clothes at the end?

Another oldtime role was the cross-dressing judge in "NYPD blue".

Billy Crystal's breakout role was as a crossdressing gay lad in "Soap" (If you remember that, you will remember my favorite all-time line - "Mickey Mouse's dog was gay?")

Interesting Idea! How 'bout a really attractive CD who is living two lives? Kindof "Bosom Buddies", but the hero/heroine chooses this life because she wants to?

Or...She doesn't pass, doesn't care, and everybody she encounters learns to like and value her...?

Or a mature empty-nester whose wife supports his dressing and who wears really nice things to work from home? Nah... nobody would believe that could ever happen...:daydreaming:

-jj

gagirl1
06-24-2008, 12:36 PM
to me, a 1 1/2 hour to 2 hour movie couldn't possibly squeeze everything in at once. i'd almost rather see a series on logo. a show that has many characters going through different stages of life and showing how each one comes out, and the trials and tribulations of doing so. i just think a film isn't enough space. although i did think transamerica was good, it was more of a transsexual film of someone who's already gone through the transition process. i'd like to see it from beginning to end. think ma vie en rose to start with then eventually growing into transamerica/kinky boots.

KandisTX
06-24-2008, 12:51 PM
The problem here is this:

Hollywood cannot come up with an original idea these days to save their lives. Sure, it would be great if some writer/director/producer combination came up with some great idea that would show crossdressing in a decent light, but with all the crap they have been putting out lately being remakes of remakes, or just taking an idea from old television shows or comic books and making them into movies, the odds are stacked against us in this one.

Kandis:love::rose2:

Sarah Doepner
06-24-2008, 05:17 PM
In 2006 there was "A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story". That documented the life and early death of Gwen Araujo, a crossdresser murdered in California. There was quite a bit of background and I think it did a good job of making Gwen a sympathetic character. For a bit more see the Imdb listing as a starter - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0787484/

I need to clarify my comment on Klinger in M.A.S.H. If a crossdresser story is to have any kind of acceptance from the general public, someone in the story; the character and/or some of those that interact with that character should be that comfortable with the issue. It was acceptable in the context of M.A.S.H. because everyone respected Max, knew he did good work and understood why he wore dresses. In the end of the story we would want to see, there would have to the that kind of relationships.

It may be the best way to do this kind of story is to show it through the eyes of a spouse. We grow into it and sometimes it takes years and years to get to the level we are currently at. When that side of our life is revealed to a loved one they have to absorb all that and we expect them to adjust and adapt within a few days or weeks. We are fortunate when that happens and disappointed when it doesn't. A story for the screen would be good to show that compressed time frame within an even more compressed time frame.

Amy Hepker
06-24-2008, 05:20 PM
A movie with a CDer and his wife dealing with and living with the CDing. Working thing out together, doing things together without guilt or embarrassment.

boy2girl31
06-24-2008, 11:56 PM
As Sarah Charles said : "In 2006 there was "A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story". That documented the life and early death of Gwen Araujo, a crossdresser murdered in California. There was quite a bit of background and I think it did a good job of making Gwen a sympathetic character. For a bit more see the Imdb listing as a starter - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0787484/"

This movie did go fairly mainstream as I saw it on Lifetime. Wish I would have recorded it. I found it to be a heartfelt movie that ended tragicly. I do think it helped to get the message across that we are like everyone else even though some bigoted people disagreed and killed her in the main it addressed the feelings we ourselves don't understand about why we feel this way or how to be accepted.

ColleenShivas
06-25-2008, 12:54 AM
This is a great thread. Hollywood has an enormous influence on social attitudes in our society. As a community we are not accepted by most non-dressing males and females, by gays and lesbians, or by the transgendered on their way to SRS. A few well made movies, plus some TV series and a special or two would go a long way to showing that we are a large segment and to getting some level odf acceptance.

susandrea
06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
As Sarah Charles said : "In 2006 there was "A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story". That documented the life and early death of Gwen Araujo, a crossdresser murdered in California. There was quite a bit of background and I think it did a good job of making Gwen a sympathetic character. For a bit more see the Imdb listing as a starter - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0787484/"

This movie did go fairly mainstream as I saw it on Lifetime. Wish I would have recorded it. I found it to be a heartfelt movie that ended tragically. I do think it helped to get the message across that we are like everyone else even though some bigoted people disagreed and killed her in the main it addressed the feelings we ourselves don't understand about why we feel this way or how to be accepted.

The story about Gwen is really a story about a transexual who was trying to pass.

I actually met Gwen's mom and a transexual director, Shelly Prevost, who made a documentary about the following trial of her killers called 'Trained in the Ways of Men'. It's well done, but terribly sad. (At the time I met Shelly, I believe she said her children still were not speaking to her. I hope that has changed)

The script I have written about a crossdresser as the lead (and is ABOUT his foray into world after being outed) has already been a finalist at a top film festival, and now I am trying for an agent. It's a 'dramedy', and most of the feedback I get from professionals who have read it tell me they were pleased with how likable the lead character is, and how the audience would laugh WITH him, not AT him. I have always felt that without humor, a story about a CD would never make it very far beyond the fringe.

On the other hand, my CD does go through some very honest and trying times. The best thing so far is, many people who have read it say they understand crossdressing better, and wouldn't be as 'freaked out' if they ran into a CD. They also have a better understanding of the difference between a CD, a DQ, and a TS.

So, wish me luck, ladies. Being a part of this forum had been invaluable help.

:love:

RobynP
07-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Several of the posts have mentioned "Just Like a Woman". I agree with the others about the overall presentation of crossdressing was very good but the last part of the movie did not fit with the rest.

This movie was based on a true story, "Gerald/ine" by Monica Jay. Monica was the landlady who fell in love with Gerald/ine. The book is quite a bit better than the movie as most books made into movies go. Unfortunately, the ending of the book is very sad...

On a different note, no one has mentined "Glen or Glenda". This is probably one of the most bizarre movies I have ever seen. However, there are bits and pieces of crossdressing in it which are amazing given the time period in which it was made.

Robyn P.

Christinedreamer
07-04-2008, 10:55 AM
As mentioned, Gloen or Glenda does make a few accurate points about crossdressing as Ed Wood (the wrtier, director, et al) was a CD in real life. IMO that is where the usefulness of this movie ends. Ed was a totally untalented director with delusion of grandeur. The production values of the movie present in the same manner as "Reefer Madness" did and therefore either create gales of laughter or snickers and ridicule.

Unfortunately at the time Ed was making movies, crossdressing was still illegal in many states. here in california it fell under what was called "masking" law. The original intent of this law was to prevent anyone from wearing a mask to prevent identification. Where the need for this law arose is up for interpretation.

Here in California until the mid 70's drag performers were required to wear a full "drab" outfit under the female clothes and some drag perfromers had to wear a little tag that said "I am a boy" so no one would be fooled. Big chance of that!

Hopefully there is will be a realization that we are a major component of the population and that aside from a desire for the softer things in life we are ACTUALLY human and worthy of inclusion. Each time another movie comes out that deals with this a little more progress is made in overall acceptance if not understanding.

Jerry Springer and his ilk are doing harm as fast as LOGO and Bravo are breaking new ground in understanding by the mainstream population.

I think the biggest hurdle we need to clear is the misunderstanding and misinformation.

Thanks to so many sensationalistic stories from Hollywood, all Christians are nutzo fundamentalists, all CDs are murderers, etc. They, as a whole, see no need to differentiate between sick minds and alternative lifestyles.

Accuracy be damned, sensationalism sells.

celeste26
07-04-2008, 11:17 AM
IMHO Ed Wood was not the worst filmmaker in the history of Hollywood. He was certainly naive and unskilled but anyone who actually goes to one of his movies and expects a great movie is also in denial.

As a cinephile I look to other productions when I look for the worst of all time. My favorite candidate is "Myra Breckinridge" as the worst. Granted Rotten Tomatoes lists others in the worst of the worst but since I read the book first and had high expectations and was thoroughly disappointed when I saw the movie, I list it as my worst of all time. Myra Breckinridge had many well known actors, a well known director, and a pulitzer prize winning author and still stank.

Ed Wood had such few resources and such a limited budget that there was no way that any reasonably good movie could come out of the process. (with maybe the exception of the "Blair Witch Project" and its arguable as being an example of good theater.)

I look at the work of Ed Wood with a sentimental eye and tend to forgive him for the absurdity.

TxKimberly
07-04-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm gonna have to jump on the "Just Like a Woman" wagon too. I saw it a long time ago, but as I recall, it was a fairly good depiction of many facets of being a CD.

Toni_Lynn
07-04-2008, 01:56 PM
My wife Debbie and I both LOVED Just Like a Woman. In fact, I'd call it a chick-flick for us girls. I know I cried because of the beauty of the love that Gerald/ Geraldine and Monica found in each other. We were looking for a crssdressing romantic comedy, and this was it 100%

We also liked A Little Bit of Lippy. Its different from Just Like a Woman, a bit sadder, but great.

On the subject of the film Ed Wood, I know its not a CD movie per se, but Debbie and I watched it after I told her about me, and it opened another door of understanding. I will admit that the scene where Ed came out to his girlfriend while at the amusement park, was similar in emotional feel to when I told Debbie about me. I cried during that scene when we watched it together.

There is also Reversals, which aired on Channel 4 in the UK.

Young medical professional couple set out to prove that gender is not a factor in the ability to do a job well. Hilarity ensues as they swap jobs, clothes, and gender, in order to see what life is like from a different perspective.

I have this on DVD as recorded off British TV.

We also enjoyed Hedwig and the Angry Inch as well as Transamerica, but these aren't CD.

I tried to watch Priscella Queen of the Desert and To Wong Foo, but hated them! I refuse to watch Tootsie. Reason is deeply psychological, for when it came out I was a crossdressing teen being abused by my mum but at the same time my mum was laughing at Dustin Hoffman and saying what a convincing woman he made. Talk about mixed messages. I recall at thge time feeling like the movie was making fun of 'us' crossdressers.

All that said .. I'd love to see another romantic comedy crossdresser movie. Boy likes to dress as girl, boy meets girl, they fall in move because he is a crossdresser, she helps him face the foibles and faults of a prejudiced world etc.

Another idea, boy crossdresses as girl .. girl crossdresses as boy .. somehow they find each other and love blooms. Oh -- wait .. I wrote stories like that. If you want to read them, look up The Amy Series at Fictionmania .. look for my name as author .. Kozmik Alaska.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Melanie R
07-04-2008, 02:25 PM
My wife and I had some discussion with the producer of the show we did for WE Secret Lives of Women Married to Crossdressers about doing a film about a crossdresser and wife for Lifetime. Ellen has produced several other films for Lifetime but believes that the backlash on this type of movie from the religious right groups would keep Lifetime from putting any money into this project. That discussion was in 2006. Perhaps it is time to see if she has any interest now or may know who would be interested. Since she was the main producer of ABC News for 25 years, she did talk about getting 20/20 to do a segment on the crossdresser and wife. I will ask if this is still a possibility.

KayR
07-04-2008, 02:55 PM
I wrote a short story some years ago about body-swapping. I was going to write 2 more in order to explore the challenges a m to f person would encounter. Its still on the back burner....
Wasn't there a film about a French TV who had a sex change - becoming a beautiful cabaret star in the process? I think it was a biography, and she was called Papillon - not the Henri Charriere anti-hero. I browsed through the book many years ago. The bits I read were very moving. Later made into a film

TommiTN
07-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I see no one mentioned "Soldier's Girl". I haven't seen it, but the synopsis is interesting. It's the story of a soldier who falls for a CD club performer. The story has a tragic ending.

Christinedreamer
07-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I completely forgot about Soldier's Girl and I even have the DVD!. It is a true story about a pre-op TS working in a drag show to earn the SRS money. She does the usual flirting from the stage but is attracted to a straight GI who is obviously attracted to her after his buddies goad him into going to a drag bar just for laughs.

Our hero gets seriously involved with her and his buddies freak out when they realize they are guilty of being gay by association with him.

The scene where she finds out he has been killed is heart breaking and well played (IM0) by the actor playing Calpernia.

I don't understand how some people can react the way his budies(?) did. I never have, but then I don't feel theatened by the lifestyle choices of others.

There are genuine scene of love that transcend the M/F/Tg aspect. That is rare but much appreciated. The same thing eventually happened in Crying Game and A Girl like Me.

I hope to live to see a world where love is valued above crass stupidity, ignorance , fear, and violence directed at people who love each other and the "plumbing" is not the most important part.