PDA

View Full Version : Wasted Money

Emily Anderson
06-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Come on, we all have to admit that we've wasted money on buying stuff that we thought would look good at the time!!!

The model in the magazine was perfect, the decor, the ambience and the mood lighting were perfect... We could just imagine ourselves wearing THAT to conquer the world!

For whatever reason, it turned out to be way less fun when we actually tried it on and saw ourselves in the mirror... Godzilla meets Frankenstein!!!

Familiar?

lil red
06-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Yes it has happened. In fact about half an hour ago I opened up a package to see the new dresses I purchased. One is great! In fact I am wearing it now. The other, well lets just say the local thrift store may have more use for it than I do.

TxKimberly
06-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Can't COUNT how many times, and it STILL makes me angry and depressed when it happens!

christid66
06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Done that....but I can't seem to throw them away. When I first came to the US, I bought a purple sleeveless top with a big (fake) fur collar and a black velvet 2 piece with sparkles down the front of the top that not even Amy Winehouse in one of her 'herbal' moments would have be seen in.:puke:

KateSpade83
06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
It's half and half with ebay purchases. Some come and are awesome and look way better in the pics. Some look awesome in pics and stink when you get them!

Jennifer Giovannetta
06-25-2008, 08:46 PM
I cannot count how many times that has happened to me. But it is like you said, the lights, ambiance, perfect conditions, and beautiful model. I try to see through that now, and I know what actually looks good on me. Some of the things i see I really do like but I know I cannot wear. Such as a dress with spaghetti straps on the shoulders. I cant do that. I have a mans shoulders. So I know that I have to stick to long sleeves. Oh well.:straightface:

Nicole Erin
06-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Usually I buy what looks good on the rack, I don't judge by the model cause she is prettier than me anyways.

I have bought stuff that looks good on the rack without trying it on and soon after decided I hated it.
Most of the time I ask myself "How good is this going to look once I get it home?"

Cary
06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Yes I have bought things that I've regreted later......Too small top....Too large or small dress...cheap runny pantyhose...great shoes that were too small :Angry3:

christid66
06-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Some of the things i see I really do like but I know I cannot wear. Such as a dress with spaghetti straps on the shoulders. I cant do that. I have a mans shoulders. So I know that I have to stick to long sleeves. Oh well.:straightface:

Good point....I've bought tops that are too low cut & show my chest hair :eek:

bobbie_1048
06-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Can't COUNT how many times, and it STILL makes me angry and depressed when it happens!

Yes I have bought things that I've regreted later......Too small top....Too large or small dress...cheap runny pantyhose...great shoes that were too small :Angry3:

Hiya Emily :) Yes, I am guilty as charged. One of these days I'll break down and take the things I couldn't return to Goodwill (no reason someone shouldn't enjoy them) I try to be careful, but sometimes you see something ya just gotta have, then later you think " why did I buy that?"Guess I'll just keep on trying to be the best girl I can be.

Caroline C
06-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Whenever purchasing online I always check out the clearance section. I sometimes purchase something cheap on a whim figuring I might not like it but it hardly costs anything, and there are many of them laying in the bottom of the drawer never to be used again. Other times I'm pleasantly suprised how well it looks and fits. One purchase was a long sleeve cotton night shirt. I figured maybe I'll wear it in the winter with bottoms. It turns out it's so silky and light it's one of my favotites to wear in the summer.

Eileen
06-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Between sizes, that are meaningless and styles that look so different on the average woman than they do on models, I now only buy clothes and shoes in stores where I can try them on. Over the years I have been very good to the thrift shops.

Eileen

CalvinKlein
06-26-2008, 12:13 AM
A Victoria's Secret Santa Girl skirt - so cute and sexy, but I can't even get the OS (One-size) skirt to my waist (what a waste!).

Angie G
06-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Been there done that hun.:hugs:
Angie

CD Susan
06-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I tend to resist buying most things online since I can't try it on beforehand. I like to know that something is going to fit before I spend my money on it. There are times when a picture is not a true representation of how a garment actually looks so it is best to see it first before buying it. I have a difficult time finding shoes that fit me right so would not even consider buying shoes online.

Cary
06-26-2008, 05:46 AM
I was soo happy with most of the purchase I made at the thrift store. Of the 3 tops I bought 2 fit like a glove. The white sleaveless top(a shell maybe) wasn't to tight, it was just too short. When I standup, it stops at my bellybutton. It is however soo silky, that I'm using it as a summer nightshirt.

TGMarla
06-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Yes, the worst, I think, is when I buy something that doesn't fit right. If your clothes are too small, you're uncomfortable. And if you're uncomfortable, it's not real fun.

LisaElizabeth
06-26-2008, 07:30 AM
I have bought and even tried on things that once home and getting ready for a night out just do not look right with the second wearing. Maybe just enamored with it in store?
Anyway.... My local 'T' support groups have an annual 'Clothing Exchange' so those items that end up being mistakes, or that I know I'll never wear again go to those functions!
It's a great feeling to be able to recycle things!!
Lisa E

missattitude
06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
When I first started to dress, I bought any size and shape and wasted countless dollars and hours on unwanted clothes. I'm sure every cross dresser goes through this. But it is all a part of life. I have bought stuff for guy more and never touched, so this is not only to part of girl clothes. It is however, depressing when you do this. Feel like you want to take it back, but can't. I try now to make sure it is going to fit me, or try it on in the store if I am feeling gutsy.
Maria

linnea
06-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Of course, I've made such mistakes. I could include cars, equipment of various sorts, and chewing gum. I always hope that I won't make the same (or a similar) mistake again.

Deborah Jane
06-26-2008, 04:35 PM
I bought a wedding dress from a charity/thrift store that looked gorgeous in the window. I checked the size and that was ok, so i didn,t bother trying it on.
When i got home i couldn,t wait to try it on. I put on my bra and slipped my forms in so i would know if it fitted properly.
Unfortunately it was a bit tight, so i forced the zipper and managed to get it zipped right up, but when when i tried to unzip it the zipper tag snapped off effectively trapping me in my dress unless i cut myself out.
I kept that dress on all evening and even slept in it, hoping that somehow i would be able to get out of it the following morning without having to damage the dress!!
About half an hour before i was due to leave for work i knew that unless i was going to turn up at work as a bride, i would have to cut myself out of it!!
It broke my heart ruining that dress:sad:

RachelB.
06-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Goodwill loves it when that happens. At least it's a tax deduction.

Toni_Lynn
06-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Ah yes --- in looking back upon it, should I have set a match to the $100 plus before sending it --- or just gone ahead and ordered a v-string. Either way it would have ended up the same!

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Jilmac
06-26-2008, 05:55 PM
If I had a buck for every time I wasted money on something that didn't fit, was the wrong color/style, or made me look uglier than I already am, I would be able to open my own crossdressers boutique. Luv and :hugs: Jill

KateSpade83
06-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Bring a tape measure every time you go to a thrift store! Then you can make measurements like bust size to determine if the stuff will fit you! I made 2 costly mistakes on $25 skirt suits. Thought I could fit every size 6 and one suit didn't have a size - thought it would fit but it didn't. So I'm selling them on ebay like these -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120276991851&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120276996553&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120277003885&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=002

BillieJoe
06-26-2008, 09:10 PM
I know the feeling quite well. My worst time was shortly after I got out of the service. Didn't have much money but felt I had enough to buy a complete outfit. I bought everything. Then it came time to buy a skirt. I found one in my size and being very nervous still about buying women's clothing I rushed off to the checkout and paid for it. Oh boy, it was time to 'dressup'! Got everything on and it was time for the skirt! OMG!!! It wasn't a skirt it was a pair of culottes! Learned a valuable lesson that time and it was to make sure I wasn't nervous when buying ladie's clothing. I hadn't had anything feminine on during my three years of military duty and to say I was dissappointed would have been an understatement.

Karren H
06-26-2008, 09:14 PM
A few times early on... But now I don't make mistakes cause I try everything on in the store before I buy it!!! More cost effective and way more fun!! lol

Joy Carter
06-26-2008, 11:51 PM
I have two articles of clothing I can't ware, because they just make me look real bad. I think I was in that pink fog when I bought them.................

Claire3
06-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Oh yes,story of my life.Expecting mail order delivery a little later.Fingers crossed!

StephanieC
06-27-2008, 08:37 PM
True, I think we've all been there. This is why I have no fear bringing things home: I can always return it. It's only when I forget about something I've bought in advance when I run into potential trouble.

RylieCD
06-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Many of times have I grabbed something with out knowing my size or just a quick grab and buy just to get out of the store just to realize the item was way to big/small, so much for the embaressment in the store. Or there are the multiple items that have been purged over the years, sure many may have been out grown by now but there are some that I could kick myself for. All I can say is with the help of this site and many other resources I am learning who I am and am overcoming the fear and purges.

Amy Hepker
06-27-2008, 10:13 PM
What I hate is seeing something in the store that I know will look great on me to find it just does not fit me just right or is the wrong size.

daviolin
06-28-2008, 07:22 AM
I bought so many things that when I got home to try it on It was to small. Or it made me look fat. Or the style just wasn't right. I used to be so afraid to try things on at the store. Not anymore I allways try it on before I purchace. I'm getting tired of wasting money. But even then sometimes when you get home it just doesn't go with that pair of shoes or that top you wanted to match up with. Oh so sad I guess I have to go shopping again. YES!:battingeyelashes:Daviolin

tamara
06-28-2008, 07:33 AM
I wasted so much money, that I do not buy anything without trying it first now.
I also rarely buy online now, because dreseses or skirts that look fabulous on the site, were not what they looked, or simply did not fit me right...

LovelyRita
06-28-2008, 07:39 AM
yep... it sucks not trying it on before you buy.