PDA

View Full Version : Continuing my story, trying to love myself again.

Mira
05-16-2005, 07:49 AM
The real reason I joined these forums at this time was to help ease a growing pain and to share my crossdressing hobby. I'm dying to do my makeup and take pictures now :) However, my recent divorce has left me an emotional wreck. I return to counselling tomorrow to deal with ache, guilt, and depression. I hate what I'm having to go through now because I have all the time in the world outside of work to dress and explore, yet my desire to do so wains everyday. Not good.

Anyways, I have known my ex-wife for 5 years and we were married 2.5 of those. Things started off as long distance, me in Michigan and she in Ontario. After 2 years of long distance, I got laid off from my job and we decided it was best if I moved as I had no real ties to Michigan. So I did, and 3 months later found my current job in Buffalo. She already owned a townhouse in Burlington and I commuted from there to Buffalo across the border everyday. It was 1.5 hours one way and rather difficult at times. We eventually moved slightly closer and my commute was reduced to an hour but the border was still a pain at times.

Our problems begain early on and I refused to acknowledge the warning signs, made excuses, blamed it all on the long distance relationship. One of the early recurring themes was the constant bickering over why I didn't call at certain times. I was often accused of not loving her, of cheating on her because I didn't return calls within 5 minutes. If I left work at 5pm and she couldn't reach me until 7, an argument ensued. I've never been one to argue, never grew up like that, never raised my voice to anyone except my parents when I was adolescent. I would beg her to be calm to no avail and then magically a day or so later she would pretend nothing happened. So I moved to Canada. It only got worse, we argued every few days because I didn't go to bed at 10pm like she did. This had never been a problem before and I tried my best to deal. So I insisted we seek counselling. Of course after one session she refused to return. I told her we could find another counsellor but she would hear none of it. So for the 3 months I looked for a job in Canada, I discovered I needed a work permit. I couldn't get one unless someone sponsored me as a permenant resident, such as a wife (we didn't get married until after I started working.) I couldn't apply for residency because I didn't qualify, I'd researched this extensively. The arguments began again. Every day I went without work I was accused of not trying hard enough and just wanting to use her for her money and support. I tried my hardest to be understanding but her verbal abuse was relentless. She didn't want to get married but I had moved so we could get married and I needed to be sponsored to work but couldn't. A hopeless deadend. Then a mutual friend suggested looking in Buffalo. After getting the job she was ready to marry.

I feel like I'm rambling, but please bare with me. To sum things up, her verbal insults knew no bounds. You name it, she screamed it. I would get down on my knees and beg her to stop. I would yell back sometimes. Often I would ask her to stop and I'd go into another room to cool down. She would follow, screaming. I would leave the house and go for a walk, she would stand in the doorway screaming at me down the street. I felt trapped so much. Then she started throwing things. I would dodge pots and cookware and tv remotes. I would run, she would follow. Then the next 3 days she wouldn't speak at all no matter how I offered to talk things offer. During her 3 day cool downs, the only thing she would say was that she wanted a divorce. This went on for 2 of the 2.5 years of marriage. I sought individual counselling. She then began harassing me over the fact that we would go from having sex 5-6 times a week to once every week or 2. I told her with the stresses of work, the commute, the border, and our instability, it was hard to maintain a high desire to share intimacy.

For so long all I heard was how I never did anything for her. All I heard was it was all my fault and she blamed me for the hurful things she did to me. We tried counselling one last time in January and I was running late from a meeting at work. I called and told her I would be late, she screamed at me. I said be calm and reschedule, we won't give up. She said she wanted a divorce. This time, I finally gave up. I was so tired of it all. Work had been a major stress source as my group was short 4 people and all the major accounts became my responsibility as my boss only had 2 of us who could handle the complexities of these accounts. Being so early into a new job I wanted to build my reputation, get off on the right foot. But for so long I was made to feel like I needed to choose between work and my wife. I had to choose between everything and her and no matter what I did, it was still all my fault and I had all the sick twisted problems.

I moved out in early February and signed the divorce papers March 1. I cannot explain the relief that followed. It was like I was waiting to exhale. Now it's May and all those good memories of being with her and loving her like I've never loved another woman have come rushing in. Last week when I cried uncontrollably for 4 hours one night, I gathered my courage and called the counsellor. I still feel like I love her more than anything and would do anything to be with her, but I know it's not possible. During the good times when we didn't argue, she would shop for me. She simply adored me picking out what she would wear and often told me how much she loved it when I told her how to dress. We had many of the same hobbies and I was never one to watch sports on tv and go out with the guys. I was always with her.

I'm sorry for posting such a long story, but some days the pain is too much to bare. I want to speak to her again, but she's moved and left no forwarding number. I know it's ok to feel like this, but I also know doing so is not what's needed. I need to move on with my life and be happy. So many days this is so hard to do. When the arguing and abuse are not around me, I feel so strongly for her. I can truly relate to all of those abused women who find it so hard to leave the destructive relationship or who return to an abusive SO. I ask myself over and over why is life so hard.......

Katie Ashe
05-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Hello dear... It sounds like your better without her, stop putting your self through mental torture, I doubt her bad behavor is your fault. I learned a few years ago, You can't please everyone, why die tring. Find a nice place to live that will make you happy. I wouldn't call her personly, what has she done for you? Explore your inner self one day at a time. There is no rush to do something drastic. Get dressed up and go crazy with it, you'll feel better about self accomplishment en-femme. I wish you the best of luck.

Katie

Clare
05-16-2005, 08:29 AM
And I thought my recent breakup was bad!

You poor thing - how did you put up with it for so long?

I know times are tough now and the past will be hard to get over, but hang in there!

Many of us in the forum have stated that when under stress as males, we go all out crossdressing. Try new things like getting a wig and delve into your crossdressing as a pleasurable thing that will clear your mind.

Keep up a positive attitude - it will carry you through.

Hugs, Christine.

Mira
05-16-2005, 11:00 AM
What my sad self needed was for her to say she never wanted to hear from again. I finally got that this morning. It does seem sadistic to want such a thing.

I have gone numb. It reminds me of the anti-depressant I was on when I tried to quit smoking a couple of years back. I feel the silent tears swimming just beneath the surface. It's like a calm, cool pool, still in the night's air.

The encouraging words you both have posted mean much to me right now. I grew up with a very dominating father who saught more to control than to teach. He kept my relationship between my mother and I constricted in his homophobic fears. I think this is why I crossdress. I love every inch of women and have such a huge passion towards them. I was always the guy who could never have one night stands because I had to feel something for the girl. And for this I've been ridiculed. My relationship with my parentts is stable, albiet distant at the moment.

It's hard feeling good again when for 30 of my 35 years I could never measure up. When those that profess the deepest love for you blame you for all of their own problems. I can't count the times she ran off to mom and friends without so much as a single word to me. Driving home to Canada for the past six months was shear torture wondering if anyone would be there.

I have a beautiful luxury apartment with soft beige and off-white colors....so soothing. A beautiful tree out front blossoms and lures chirping birds to my balcony every morning. A friend encouraged me to get 300+ thread-count sheets that are simply divine to slip under at night. I do feel I'm truly blessed.

I have a too large sectional sofa that is oh so comfy. I mention these things not to boast but re-assure myself I'm doing the right things. I wish I could enjoy all of this without the pain. There is so much of me others don't know. How I cherish loyalty and like to cry during movies. I'm so scared that hopeless romantic in me dies under societies oppressive weight.

It is indeed a godsend to express myself, truly. Today is just a difficult day. I will get through it.

kathy gg
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
I read your post and it really struck me how 'love' truly is a gamble for all of us. I am so very sorry that your realtionship did not work out. I also hope that with time and good therapy that you will be able to recover and hopefully rediscover love again.

My marriage is also the product of long distance. Also an American who moved to Canada. I was the one who moved and our courtship was a mere 6 months. I look back now (we are coming on 6 yrs) and it amazes me how we both got pretty lucky with how we both presented ourselves to each other. It is so tough dating long distance and I can remember those scary moments where trust issues and just general 'waht the heck am I about to do?" came in. I remember just trying to be as honest about who I was aand luckily for me my husband was also very honest too.

But in retrospect, it is a miracle. We both turned out to be the people we said we were. I can only thank luck and fate for that. When you take chances like you and I took, knowing what you know about another person is only as good as who they are. People can obvoisluy lie or change or turn out to be completely different than how they first let themsevels be seen.

It is very scarey and I hope that you will get over all this in time.

I still woudl not have changed meeting my guy long distance, becuase we were both able to probe each other and ask questions I am not sure I woudl have had the courage to ask if I had seen him everyday.

I woudl just want to give you a really big hug and hope that this does not jade you on love for too long.

sincerely
kathy in canada

Kimberly
05-16-2005, 12:27 PM
I know this isn't very constructive, but:

It sounds to me like she didn't realise just what she had in an SO like you. She was incredibly out of order, and even though you may think it at times, I assure you - from your account - you did nothing wrong!

lots of hugs xx

DonnaT
05-17-2005, 01:21 AM
Mira, whether you realize it or not, you were being controlled and abused, verbally, mentally and sometimes physically. Your ex really needs some serious counceling.

Your wanting her even through and after all that is a classic case known as the Stockholm Syndrome.

You should be able to find something about that using google.com. But you may want to take to a counselor instead so you can get proper guidance in breaking the emotional and dependent bond you have for her.

Phoebe Diana
05-17-2005, 03:14 AM
Mira, it's okay to grieve. The ending of even the most miserable marriage is still the death of all the hopes and dreams that you put into it. Make sure you give yourself permission to feel all of that.

A wise person once told me that it takes about 1/3 of the time the relationship lasted to finally get over the breakup. In my limited experience, that has seemed about right. No, that doesn't mean that you're doomed to almost 2 years of feeling like this. It just means that you shouldn't beat yourself up for not bouncing back quickly. And that you won't feel like this forever.

From your story, it sounds like you did everything you should have done to make things work. And more. This is not your fault. It is just the way things are.

Mira, you are worth loving. Love yourself, first. Then someone else will be able to love you.