PDA

View Full Version : Coming Out at Work

tricia_uktv
07-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Ok girls. I am out in my family and with my friends (but am making more and more cd friends as time goes on). Big next step is coming out at work. I have already spoken to my HR rep who was brilliant; totally supportive, telling me where to get advice, and I could tell, willing me to succeed. In fact we both broke down in tears (good) during our chat.

My plan is to tell some close workmates who I can trust first so build a little network who can support me; then go for the big bang.

If anybody here can advise whether that is right or I should pursue another course of action that would be great,

Many thanks,

DanaR
07-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't think telling everyone is a good idea. Your life could go upside down, people can be so cruel. I've seen situations where it just hasn't worked and the person was laid off for other reasons. Sometimes there just isn't a best way to do things.

Emily Anderson
07-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Tricia,

This is great news!

I'm assuming the company leadership (CxO's, Board of Directors etc.) are also supportive of such life changes?

Have you asked the HR rep about the company policies, rights etc.?

Assuming that the company leadership is supportive, I would take the cues from HR rather than going on your own intuition as to who to tell and in which order. It might take quite some time (several months) to sort things out, because this can be a delicate issue, with many people involved.

There are companies out there that are perfectly willing to support TS's, TG's etc. and will even be happy to smooth the ruffles with anyone who disagrees with your choice, letting them know that their intolerence could lead to their dismissal.

I suggest you work primarily with the HR folks for now, and take things slow. It sounds like you already have at least one supportive contact in HR, and you should leverage that connection.

The next step would be to verify the all facts about your company, and take their advice, one step at a time.

tricia_uktv
07-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Yes Emily, and thanks for the encouragement. We already have one member of the Company who has just gone through the operation. She's feeling a bit jaded now but will be fine. I will get complete support. My HR person (Sarah) says that its up to me but she will be there for whatever decisions I make. She has also asked me to keep her updated whenever I tell anyone which I will because she cares for me. Trouble is I want to do it all now - while I'm in the bubble but I know that isn't right. Its hard, but I'm in a good position. Was just wondering how others have done this so I can learn.

But brill reply and I hope you are as happy as I,

Hugs,