PDA

View Full Version : A case of mistaken thought

Phyliss
07-06-2008, 07:03 PM
So Friday evening my sister and I made some plans to go out for breakfast Saturday morning. I had mentioned that we could do some local shopping. ( code for the fact that I was gonna get “dressed” )
When I got back from the gym and had showered I told her I’d be ready in about 30 min. Wife was still sleeping, so no problem there. Quick application of some “slap” and a few strokes of lippy slide on a denim skirt mid calf length, sensible shoes, some mid sized forms, a nice blouse, put on and comb my grey short haired wig , presto , I’m here.
I figured if I take great pains to look like I’m ready for “the runway” it’ll be a complete give away, too overdressed for breakfast in a local diner and early morning shopping.
When sis saw me her comment was, “I guess I’m underdressed compared to you” She was wearing a blouse, slacks, and sandals. I didn’t think I was that good looking.

While at breakfast, I happened to notice off to the side some motion and not wanting to be too rude to stare back I slowly moved my gaze to figure out what was happening. At the table next to us a woman kept glancing at us. Said to my sis, “Ratz, I’ve been figured out, but I’m gonna sit right here and finish my food.” Carried on our conversation as we had been. The couple next to us finished before we did and as they got up the lady came over to out table. “Oh Oh here it comes” I thought. She says to my sis. “I just love what you’ve done to your nails” ( her finger nails are quite long and had all been painted with red, white, and blue stripes.) Sis thanks her for the compliment and I simply smile.

No comment like “gee buddy, for a guy you’re not a bad looking broad” Completely misread her actions when I noticed her looking at our table.

We did get in some shopping afterwards. Stopped into Maurices and was warmly received by the manager, ( who recognized me right off, nuts) but she was rather impressed with the presentation I was giving. She said that if she hadn’t known me from being in there a number of times before, she wouldn’t have noticed me as being somebody other than who I was presenting as.
Interestingly enough there happens to be a Fashion Bug right next door to them. Neither I nor my sis had found anything in Maurice’s that said “take me home” Went into F.B. to look around and I spotted the Mgr. ,who knows me as a guy. Wandered around a bit checking out the items, while my sis did the same thing. Made sure I positioned myself so that the Mgr. would have to walk past me at different times. Zero response from her. Just didn’t see me as anything other than another customer. Happened to notice her getting ready to move a display and walked over to her and said in my regular voice, “Let me help you dear” She almost knocked over the display in surprise, saying “Holy s*** it’s you” Big hug and compliments at my decent looks.

Lessons learned:
Sometimes what you think are “readings” may not be that at all
As for “makeup” the old saying “less is more” is true

Di
07-06-2008, 07:07 PM
You said Lessons learned:
Sometimes what you think are “readings” may not be that at all
As for “makeup” the old saying “less is more” is true

Great lessons.....there is a BIG difference from THE LOOK...to what women just nat do...look at someones clothes or nails, jewlery...whatever. Sounds like you had a great day out hon:hugs: