PDA

View Full Version : metrosexual vs crossdresser

Emma England
07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
In recent years, there has been a growing trend for metrosexual's.

If it is ok for a man (a metrosexual) to have feminine traits such as long hair, makeup, skirts, high heels, waxing/laser - then there is not much difference between that and crossdressing is there?

Would it be better to refer yourself as metrosexual?

Basically, it really is just wearing what you want without any padding or wigs.

Are some of you upset by this modern term of metrosexual?
Or do you welcome it?

CaptLex
07-07-2008, 12:23 PM
If it is ok for a man (a metrosexual) to have feminine traits such as long hair, makeup, skirts, high heels, waxing/laser - then there is not much difference between that and crossdressing is there?
I don't think that's what a metro guy is . . . at least I've never seen that definition of it. :idontknow:

CharleneT
07-07-2008, 03:22 PM
While I have heard of "metro-sexual" I did not realize that it extended to skirts etc ! If only we could get more guys to go "metro" then the CD's would not seem for far out for regular society and we might be able to gain some acceptance !!

C.

tricia_uktv
07-07-2008, 03:28 PM
If you want to be metrosexual, fine, I am sometimes. But basically I'm cd

fay
07-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Wikipedia has it down as:

Metrosexual is a neologism generally applied to heterosexual men with a strong concern for their appearance, or whose lifestyles display attributes stereotypically seen among gay men. Debate surrounds the term's use as a theoretical signifier of gender deconstruction and its associations with consumerism. The word was coined as a tongue-in-cheek play on "heterosexual".

I'm coming to the conclusion that you may just as well get on with it and other people will add their own labels regardless.

AmandaM
07-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Metrosexual, think John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. LOL

CaptLex
07-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Metrosexual, think John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. LOL
:go:

Exactly . . . "don't touch the heah!" :heehee:

MalibuJenny
07-07-2008, 04:57 PM
I would think lots of CDers would also consider themselves metrosexuals... I'm certainly in that category!

Celeste
07-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm not upset with the term at all.I do think its admirable seeing its really them knocking on the door of gender oppression as well,also its good to see someone well kept and looking good.

Huntress
07-07-2008, 10:59 PM
:D
What about those of us who don't ride the Metro, but commute by car, truck, or motorcycle? Hmmmn?:idontknow:

Huntress

darla_g
07-08-2008, 12:09 AM
I always thought the ultimate Metrosexual was supposed to be David Beckham. Wants to have poofy haircuts, wear fancy colognes, wear stylish clothes, and still bed down Posh Spice!

AmandaM
07-08-2008, 12:27 AM
I always thought the ultimate Metrosexual was supposed to be David Beckham. Wants to have poofy haircuts, wear fancy colognes, wear stylish clothes, and still bed down Posh Spice!

Don't forget, he wears her panties. Oops, didn't mean to make another panty thread. Sorry.:heehee:

ReginaS
07-08-2008, 12:44 AM
I thought the term metrosexual had more to do with a man who shows what are considered stereotypically female traits, such as emotionality and fashion sense.
I recently 'came out' to my 21 year old step son and once the shock was over he was great and very supportive and commented "I am not that surprised. I always saw you as a metrosexual guy."

Emma England
07-08-2008, 02:03 AM

David Beckham is God :D

Bev06 GG
07-08-2008, 02:13 AM
?

Nice try Emma, but I think you will find there is a whole lot of difference. They dont actually try to emulate a woman its just a style thing. Any way why should you try and hide behind somebody else's identity, thats almost like making an excuse for who and what you are. Lets be honest and say that CDs male to female and female to male are distinctive and unique in their own right.
Take care
Bev

Joanne f
07-08-2008, 04:32 AM
I am not a city person so it would be difficult for me to comment on the things that happen in them but i see nothing wrong with men going out as men in skirts,dress`s and makeup, in fact i would see that more in line with the term cross dresser, and i would be quite happy to do that as it would be naturally me as i do not like wigs and bra`s as i have not the reason to wear one yet ( unfortunately):heehee:, in fact if men were to do that the term cross dresser might become obsolete.

joanne

( And by the way i cannot stand the Beckhams even if i think that he could be a CD, my fish pout like her but they are not famous ) :heehee:

DemonicDaughter
07-08-2008, 06:24 AM
:D
What about those of us who don't ride the Metro, but commute by car, truck, or motorcycle? Hmmmn?:idontknow:

Huntress

Dear Mr. Huntress,

We found your wife, Gabby... AGAIN, on the Metro this morning attempting to hump the caboose... AGAIN! This is the THIRD time this week! She is taking this term "metrosexual" WAY too far! If she does not stop taunting the conductors with lewd propositions, I'm sorry but we will have to revoke her Commuter Pass and restrict her to the passenger pick-up zone only. I also have to ask that she return the "Riding the Metro" poster she removed from the train on Wednesday... it was covering the graffiti.

Sincerely,
Metro-Transit Administration Board

...Any way why should you try and hide behind somebody else's identity, thats almost like making an excuse for who and what you are...

I agree! Be proud of who you are! Its the only way to help not only change your own point of view but those of others. I'm proud to be in a relationship with a crossdresser and when in boy mode, he's not metrosexual. I'm proud of my friends that crossdress. I know its not easy, I imagine its scary and that the world may not agree with you, but hey... the world doesn't agree with anybody. lol

carolinebrookes
07-08-2008, 06:54 AM
I think that Metrosexual and crossdressers are two different things altogether.

I'm a crossdresser but am not a metrosexual.

I enjoy presenting as a woman on occasions but would never present myself as an "Ubergroomed" guy. When all said and done, I'm just your everyday run of the mill guy when in boy mode and certainly act and dress like one.

I enjoy being smartly dressed in boy mode but not to the extent of some of the metrosexual fella's go to. Sure, I moisturise and keep myself neat and tidy, but do like to slob out at times too....something you won't catch a metrosexual doing! :D

Huntress
07-08-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry but we will have to revoke her Commuter Pass...
Sincerely,
Metro-Transit Administration Board

Dear MTA Bored Member,
It pains me to know that because ennui has crept into your truly onerous workaday existence, that you have to force a young flower back to "[I]Walking the streets[I]" just to get work, oops sorry, get to work on time. Her attraction to/in commuter railway cars goes way in the back, sorry, slipped again, way back. It is my fervent hope that the entire board is soon reduced to cleaning the graffiti off of MTA's conveyances with 12 molar nitric acid and their buttocks.
As always & sincerely yours,

L. Farthingale Huntress, Esq., LLD, DVM, QTP

Emma England
07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I have asked this question as in recent times, I have got confused about my own personality.

I feel comfortable staying as a guy (not emulating a woman) but having a femme style of appearance.

Bev06 GG
07-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Dear Mr. Huntress,

We found your wife, Gabby... AGAIN, on the Metro this morning attempting to hump the caboose... AGAIN! This is the THIRD time this week! She is taking this term "metrosexual" WAY too far! If she does not stop taunting the conductors with lewd propositions, I'm sorry but we will have to revoke her Commuter Pass and restrict her to the passenger pick-up zone only. I also have to ask that she return the "Riding the Metro" poster she removed from the train on Wednesday... it was covering the graffiti.

OMG that is so funny I can't stop laughing.
Bev

Dr.Susan
07-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Great even more confusion added to the mix. Metro is just a fancy name for a city guy.

Ruth
07-08-2008, 03:05 PM
It's a good question Emma. I get what you're saying. I have steered clear of any kind of 'intermediate' look up to now for several reasons, but I can see the point of it.
It's not so much seeing what you can get away with, more trying to establish where on the spectrum the 'real you' might be.

Beth-Lock
07-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Perhaps when we dress in drab, for example, in a mixture of male and female clothes, but not too obviously female, we appear to be metrosexuals. I think of it as dressing unisex, even in the extreme case, where there is no male clothing involved.

RobertaFermina
07-08-2008, 03:22 PM
:2c:

I think of a metrosexual as a man who dresses with as much sense of hairstyle, color, texture, fashion, cleanliness and hygeine as a fashion model.

He does not shy away from being perceived as spending "way too much time" on his appearance. He doesn't seek a feminine form, but perhaps a feminine "glaze" on his blended masculine/androgynous essence.

Dressing in Armani (man-suit) may give him thrill similar to what dressing in Armani (Dress) may give us....

Metrosexual is a modern an positive word. The old-world word, close in meaning *for me* but with negative connotations, is "Fop".

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Nicole Erin
07-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I think a metrosexual is one of those young hot-shot corporate guys who is pretty but NOT a CD, drives a fancy car but would never even look under the hood.

Me, I am CD, I am NOT a metrosexual. If I have to ruin my manicure to change the head gaskets, no big deal. :heehee:

John Travolta? Well, todays metrosexual probably dresses in today's fashions but yeah, that is a good comparison at least in the looks dept.

MS seems to me almost like a gay guy who sleeps with women, like a closeted gay.

A lot of us CDs, while we love to look pretty, we are not afraid to be rugged men when need be.

Jamie001
07-08-2008, 05:45 PM
EEEEEEEKKKK! I never want to be a "rugged man". That is really scary to me. Like they say, "to each their own".

I think a metrosexual is one of those young hot-shot corporate guys who is pretty but NOT a CD, drives a fancy car but would never even look under the hood.

Me, I am CD, I am NOT a metrosexual. If I have to ruin my manicure to change the head gaskets, no big deal. :heehee:

John Travolta? Well, todays metrosexual probably dresses in today's fashions but yeah, that is a good comparison at least in the looks dept.

MS seems to me almost like a gay guy who sleeps with women, like a closeted gay.

A lot of us CDs, while we love to look pretty, we are not afraid to be rugged men when need be.

RobertaFermina
07-08-2008, 05:54 PM
EEEEEEEKKKK! I never want to be a "rugged man". That is really scary to me. Like they say, "to each their own".

Just Imagine....Dr Quinn and Mr. GoodWrench, a sweet and handy kind of Jekyll and Hyde !

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Nicki B
07-08-2008, 05:58 PM
I have asked this question as in recent times, I have got confused about my own personality.

I feel comfortable staying as a guy (not emulating a woman) but having a femme style of appearance.

Then, for you, just do what feels right? You don't have to fit anyone else's pigeonhole? :)

(Around here you'd probably find it already full.. )

foxyjj111
07-09-2008, 09:12 AM
a gg friend of mine asked me if i was just really metro or more than after i talked to her about me dressing. i think there may be a lot of confusion to those who dont understand but metros are into male fashion and push the limits. the may wear soft makeup to cover blemishes but not fem makeup. they may wear clear nail polish or even masculine colors but i think if your into pink and skirts (:)this girl) its def more than metro.

valenstein
07-09-2008, 10:38 AM
CDing has certainly made me more metro than I was, you won't find me out in public with black clogs and white socks anymore! LOL I am more conscious about looking well put together in boy mode. If I get sloppy, my gf will ask, "would Ivy go out like that?" She always wins with that one.

Toni_Lynn
07-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Personally, I find the whole metrosexual thing to be as phony as the dress-for-success movement was years before it.

We ain't them and they ain't us!

Huggles

Toni-Lyn

Shelly Preston
07-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Sometimes labels just make things even more confusing

Fab Karen
07-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Nice try Emma, but I think you will find there is a whole lot of difference. They dont actually try to emulate a woman its just a style thing. Any way why should you try and hide behind somebody else's identity, thats almost like making an excuse for who and what you are. Lets be honest and say that CDs male to female and female to male are distinctive and unique in their own right.
Take care
Bev
Listen to Auntie Bev.
A good example of "metrosexual" would be Ryan Seacrest, the MC of American Idol.