PDA

View Full Version : Baby steps

Bobsie
07-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Step 1: I have replaced my cartoon avatar showing the girl I wish I could be with an actual picture of me as I really am. A work in progress? You'd better believe it! Sorry -- no close-ups yet. Give me time...

Step 2: Shopping. I finally did it. Getting tired of all the Ebay and mail-order stuff that most of the time doesn't fit. After years of creeping past the women's section and looking sideways at all the lovely clothes and then seeing someone and averting my eyes and walking quickly away, I went in there, found clothes in my size that I liked, took them to the check-out, and paid. Easy! Went back a few days later and did it again. I actually think the check-out girls were nicer to me and smiled more than usual -- or perhaps it was just my sense of euphoria at finally breaking that barrier.

Step 3: Out in public. OK, this is cheating. I put on girl shorts, sleeveless top, shoes and socks, and a girl cap. Every stitch of clothing from the girls aisle. Then went out jogging for an hour. Passed dozens of people, talked to some. No problem at all. Well -- it's a start!

Sorry for the lame post but I just had to tell somebody...!

Sandra
07-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Bobsie this is not a lame post far from it.

I do like you avatar and hopefully a close up will come later when you're ready. Now shopping I bets there's going to be no stopping you now ;), as you will have most likely noticed people just go about their own business and don't bother. Going out like that wasn't cheating, dunno about the jogging though :D.

LisaElizabeth
07-09-2008, 07:52 AM
Bobsie,
No such thing as a LAME POST!!!
The first time out is both 'Scary and Exciting'!!!
It is also something you will ALWAYS remember!!! It takes a lot of courage to step out the door that first time. The more you do it, the easier it will get, Honest!!!
Congetulations on being 'out and about'!!!
Lisa E

Kristen Marie
07-09-2008, 08:35 AM
This is a great post....and I love the photo!! Are those hips I see??? Awesome.

I love buying clothes at retail stores. One thing you should think of doing is trying on clothes in the store before you buy them. Kohls has a non-attendant dressing room and it's so easy to do in a big store. And I bet that if you work up a little more confidence with the SA in the store you currently buy at, you could do it there. Try bringing in a photo or two of you dressed and showing the girls....you would be amazed at how much they love them. Some of the places I go to ask me...any new pictures???

Great job!!!

Daintre
07-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Well done Bobsie, I agree, this is not a lame post, it is really enlightening to see our newer members gain their confidence, well done.

Bobsie
07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Thank you all so very much for the kind words and the support. You have encouraged me amazingly.

Kristen Marie - it's all me. No padding. My hips are not much but the more weight I can lose the smaller my waist gets, but the hips stay the same size since they are all bone, so they look bigger in proportion. I have been dieting really hard; that one comment of yours has made it all worth while.

Buying clothes in a big store, and trying them on there, is my next challenge. I am in the UK and the store where I shopped is Asda, which is owned by Walmart and is a lot like any Walmart in the US, where I used to live. If I buy something that does not fit, it's very easy to return it there. With gasoline at $10 a gallon and parking at $8 an hour or even more in some places, if you can even find a space, I don't go into the big city very often. But soon I will try to do it.

I am going to try one more picture. I was going to use this for an avatar, but ended up preferring the other. Any votes for this one? I have done almost nothing to my face -- that's another project. My legs are pretty bad -- I am wearing pantyhose in this picture, although I believe it's very near invisible. I found a color called "hazelnut" which matches my skin so exactly it amazes me.

Darlene Dippy
07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Moving forward and looking good, I reckon its the UK air, or perhaps the UK rain!

Keep having fun, great post.

Darlene

pamela_a
07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Bobsie, your post is not lame at all. Good on you for finally getting out shopping. Just be careful or you'll be like me and find yourself addicted to shopping. I don't know why you consider your jogging outfit cheating? It sounded perfectly appropriate and what I regularly wear, although I avoid the jogging part.

Congratulations on the picture too. That's a big step you made there.

-Paula-

RobertaFermina
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Remember dear,

Baby Steps are beyond the dreams of the baby that used to struggle with turning over, let alone crawling....

:rose: baby skips, anyone ? :rose:

CD Susan
07-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Bobsie, your post is absolutely wonderful and there is nothing lame about it all. You have more courage than than me, it took me two months to put up an avatar pic of myself here. Congrats on your shopping experirences, it does get easier the more times you do it. Your jogging outing for the first time was similar to what I did. My first real time out dressed was on my mountain bike. I went on a 20 mile ride and was a little aprehensive at first but quickly became comfortable with it. I have gone out dozens of times since then and the feeling of being liberated from the closet is so exhilerating. I wish you continued success on your journey to being yourself.

suzy cool
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
I have yet to reach your high standards. See, you are already leaps in front of some of us.:)

Chari
07-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Each journey begins with one small step and you've made a giant leap! Good for you to have come outside! Always be proud and comfortable of who you are, and enjoy every new moment of your feminine side. Just a "big sis" hint, try posing in a more femme position by standing with your legs closer together as GGs do. Thanx for sharing.