PDA

View Full Version : That .. certain something ...

Toni_Lynn
07-12-2008, 09:32 AM
...gives that first impression --- boy or girl.

I have talked with my wife Debbie about this topic and we thought it would be a good thought starter.

What is it that when you look at someone, even from far away, causes an immediate snap that someone is male or female.

I was on the bus a few days ago and two 18/19 year old women where among the passengers. They where both students at a local school for veterinary technicians. As such they where both dressed in somewhat shapeless and unisex scrub tops and pants. In fact, the scrub tops were so shapeless and loose fitting that you really could not discern normal body outlines, such as breasts etc.

The first girl was a bit on the chubby side and had hairy arms and bushier eyebrows. Yet to me there was no doubt that she was, in fact, a she. Could it have been the fact that she was carrying a purse that was pink and brown?

The second girl, who was friends with the first by the way, was average build, and had a short boy-like haircut. In fact, her hair was so boy-like, that if she was in a pair of guy's khaki's and a polo-shirt she would have passed as a boy no problem? Nothing else about her was 'unusual' for a girl.

Hmm -- actually a third example. I was in K Mart last Saturday. I was in drab .. well sort of. I was wearing a pair of women's shorts that were totally unisex in style, not long, not short, nothing unusual about the colour or cut. I had on a red women's t-shirt that, again, was unisex. Of course I did have on my bra and panties, but everything in the bra was me and totally unenhanced. My hair was downand around my shoulders. I had shaved my face, but wore no makeup - which I do need to cover even after a close shave. I hadn't shaved my legs in about 3 weeks. I had on brown crocs. BTW -- my arms, as with girl #1, are hairy. Definitely NOT crossdress for success. In spite of this, I still was greeted as ma'am, and was asked to, 'please sign there and hit okay, miss' after tendering my credit card. I spoke in my normal voice, albeit softer in volume as reply to both. So why did I pass as a girl even though I was not intending to. Could it have been the fact that in addition to the putty knives I was buying, I also bought a new bra and some eyeshadow? Hmmmm?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I think that people are less observant on a conscious level than we think they are, and that sub-conscious triggers are at play. I further wonder if some of the things that we worry about such as beard covers and removing the hair on our arms, while essential for the ultimate feminine look, are actually over-ridden by other cues.

Any thoughts

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Kate Simmons
07-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Well, I have noticed that even if I'm "made", there are often admiring glances from people, especially guys as if to say:"How can a guy look that good?" Hmm, although we can maybe determine genetic sex somewhat easily, gender is sometimes up for "grabs" with all of the adventure that goes with it. Definately not a bad thing.;):)

AnnMorgan
07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
For me I think I notice shapes first. Build, legs, breasts, hair and attire. Does this person have a sense of self? What they look good in and how to use it. Do they up-play or down-play a large bust line our a few extra pounds. Long legs or short legs?

Katherine Bell
07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I notice hair, face and body in that order. If you have a femme hair cut, even super short, then I think girl. If the face is soft, round with delicate features I think girl. If the body is short, soft, curvy and covered with female clothing I think girl. A purse or other female accessory can tip you off but so many people of both genders are now carrying bags it just not always a good indicator.

Nikki A.
07-12-2008, 01:39 PM
To me it is the way they move and how the overall look. A woman's walk (or a good CD) is different than the average guy. If something is wrong with the movement then I tend to look for other clues. Again there are some women who walk like truck drivers, then you look at their clothing, face hair etc.
Again if nothing sets off the first alarm no matter how good or bad you look people won't usually pay attention.
As for you, you were sending out fem signals, long hair, a bra, crocs, women's shorts and a red woman's tee. If I was the person serving you and I wasn't sure I would probably say Miss just in case you were actually a GG (maybe just not a very good looking GG).

Alan
07-12-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't bind my chest (yet, working on that), and I have rather noticeable breasts.

Despite this, I get 'sir'-ed often, without even trying to look more like a guy (I have some facial hair and a more masculine face).

I was pondering this same thing the other day when I was trying to figure out if the person I was talking to was a 'she' or 'he' (turned out 'she', but she could walk into a men's bathroom and not get stopped).

Sarah...
07-12-2008, 02:25 PM
I think the "tell" is a certain at ease feeling the individual conveys. I don't mean confidence - plenty of people are not confident and that has nothing to do with gender. If someone seems at ease in whatever social situation you happen to observe them in, that for me signals a natural in the otherwise obvious gender displayed - the rest is the usual small signals. I reckon there have only been a few - less than five - people that I have been genuinely confused about as to which sex or gender they were. Not much after all this time!

Hugs

Sarah...