PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name...

Katherine Bell
07-12-2008, 12:44 PM
This thread is of a purely selfish nature. I ask for one thing, just one thing from CD's and TG's: PLEASE do not choose Jennifer or Jen as your name. I have no less than five friends with Jennifer as their name, one is a gg the rest CD's. Why is this name so popular? When you have no choice to what your parents name you, it's limited to what you can do. But when you choose your own name and you can pick anything, you pick Jennifer? Listen ladies if you having trouble coming up with a name I've got dozens of great names just ask. But please do not call yourself Jennifer.

Nicole Erin
07-12-2008, 12:57 PM
hahahah well some names of CDs are a bit cliché.

I think "Michelle" is a bit overused also. That was going to be my femme name years ago until I was reminded of how common it is. Besides, "Erin" is such a pretty name for a woman and I love it :daydreaming: [Dances around all pretty and sings softly...OK enough of that...:o ]

You know it is weird for me but I have not met too many "Jennys/Jennifers"

It is good though that most CDs pick an honest name like Jenny, Tammi, Gina, Sandra, Dana... whatever names one would really hear.

The femme names that get on my nerves are ones like "Showshasta, Ivana Hump, or these catchy names that are more befit of drag queens.

Katherine Bell
07-12-2008, 01:05 PM
I'd take a drag queen name over something boring, but that's my personal prefrence. Likewise Michelle is over used too. But I do understand what you are saying Erin, a mainstream name is a good idea. However there are many lovely names that can be used that are not over used like Grace, Alice, Abigail, Linda, etc.

Deborah Jane
07-12-2008, 01:11 PM
The British girls on here could use such Essex girl classics as Trace, Shaz, Chardonnay or Chantelle to name but a few :D

:hugs:Debs :)

Nicole Erin
07-12-2008, 01:39 PM
there are many lovely names that can be used that are not over used like Grace, Alice, Abigail, Linda, etc.

I think really the best approach IS to pick a semi-common name that fits a person's generation as well.

I think names mean diff things to diff people but it seems like a name almost determines personality.

Like a "Tiffany" is seldom hard to get along with and doesn't lose her cool easily.

An "Erin" is really laid back and may seem 1/2 dead a lot of times [like me at work] If Erin heard the world was ending she would say "Alright, wake me up when it is over".

A male Aaron is also laid back but is full of energy. He would get in one last party if the world was ending.

I have not had good experiences with Danielles so I will leave that alone.

An "Andrea" is friendly but will not hesitate to put her foot up your butt if you step out of line.

The Katherines I have known tend to stand by their beliefs strongly. They will not push them on others but don't push YOUR belief onto a Katherine, she won't hear it.

Debby always makes me think of a sweet little lady with curly hair. MAybe a southern belle.

Richard is the tall guy in a business suit who is not at all timid.

Who better to have a beer [or 10] with than a "Joe"? :drink:

Shawn/Sean seems to be a quick tempered guy [known plenty of Seans like this.]

Mike is the tough guy, but he doesn't feel the need to prove it.

Britney is a glamour queen and loves herself. :heehee:

Keith is the guy who is smiling most of the time. No matter what his mood. :D

My male name, well to be honest, most of the guys I have met with my name are pains in the butt. And they tend to complain a lot.

jennifer24
07-12-2008, 02:05 PM
My name is jennifer, I`ve always liked that name, to me it means easy going and friendy. I think it`s a real feminine name also, not going to change it,
IT DES:)CRIBES ME!!!

Sarah...
07-12-2008, 02:36 PM
There'll probably be a whole load more Jennifers around shortly!!! It's the same when the press publish the top ten list of most popular girl's and boy's names - a whole load more of them appear.

Personally I like Jennifer as a name. No idea why. I just do.

Sarah...

jennifer24
07-12-2008, 02:42 PM
THANK YOU SARAH, that`s a good name too:hugs::hugs:

Teimoshi
07-12-2008, 02:43 PM
You can also go with the more unique names, particularly mythological names. Athena is a cool name. Minerva is also mythological, but more common. www.behindthename.com (http://www.behindthename.com) This here site is really cool.

Now me? There are several names I'm looking at myself. There's Trinity or just Trinity Rose, there's Lacy, Renee (my sister's name), I might go for Essence. There's a good chance that I'll go by the name Renee though.

So, I'm also good with coming up with names. Need any help, just give me a holler. When coming up with names, it's all about Creativity, the finesse look of the name (aka the words), and the artistic feel.

Jenny J
07-12-2008, 02:55 PM
This thread is of a purely selfish nature. I ask for one thing, just one thing from CD's and TG's: PLEASE do not choose Jennifer or Jen as your name. I have no less than five friends with Jennifer as their name, one is a gg the rest CD's. Why is this name so popular? When you have no choice to what your parents name you, it's limited to what you can do. But when you choose your own name and you can pick anything, you pick Jennifer? Listen ladies if you having trouble coming up with a name I've got dozens of great names just ask. But please do not call yourself Jennifer.

Hi Katherine-

I chose Jenny for two reasons. 1. It is the name of my favorite niece that has gone through quite a bit this year (losing her mom) and has turned to our family for support and guidance. When she was very young we would always include her in our activities and she was a lot of fun to be around. My heart goes out to her with her loss. 2. It slightly, kind of, sorta, almost sounds a little bit like a name I’ve used a few times in the past but just sometimes; on a few occasions. Rarely or maybe once or twice.

Jennifer (but you can call me Jen or Jenny)

Jaydee
07-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Katherine,
I know several Jennifers. all are GG's. It is one of the top, if not the top girl name in the US. Maybe something to do with "Friends". I always thought it was a very nice name. Sometimes it is easier to go with the well known than something exotic.

Jaydee

darla_g
07-12-2008, 03:16 PM
how about Jaime Janina Tabitha

Ruth
07-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I think the original post must be a joke. As CDers, choosing our own femme name is one of the gifts of this whole situation. I can't see anybody who wants to be Jennifer being put off by a request like this.
If there are a lot of them, so what?

Veronica 1
07-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Interesting thread. This has got me thinking about changing my screen name. My male name is Ron but everyone at work calls me Ronni (don't know why :heehee:), and I have always liked the name Veronica. It is such a classy and stylish name and the short form is Ronni. So Ronniwannabe might soon become Veronica.

tricia_uktv
07-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Ha-ha. Live with it! Its nice to share things:)

Jessica212
07-12-2008, 04:12 PM
My name is Jessica Nicole - I love how it sounds. No specific meaning to it though.

Katherine Bell
07-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I think the original post must be a joke. As CDers, choosing our own femme name is one of the gifts of this whole situation. I can't see anybody who wants to be Jennifer being put off by a request like this.
If there are a lot of them, so what?

So what???? when I have a conversation to my SO about the "Jennifers" she never knows which one is which and my cell phone can not handle any more. When my voice activated cell phone hears Jennifer it calls everyone, it’s just as confused. :lol:

I am sincerely tired of the name. I want CD's to choose better names. I said it was a selfish post...

Rachaelb64
07-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Mine came of a spine of a book :)

patti.jean
07-12-2008, 04:30 PM
A man goes into a CD bar and asks for Jennifer. Everyone turns and looks....

That says it all.

27th Jennifer
07-12-2008, 04:33 PM
I really don't think it matters WHAT name anyone chooses. A lot of ladies pick names that have some sort of significance, some pick names that are just fun, or even rhyme with their male name. Myself, I prefer drag queen puns. To each their own.

Look up the song "27 Jennifers" by Mike Doughty/Soul Coughing. Great tune, and this thread reminded me of it.

Ana Banana

suzy cool
07-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Depends if you are playing at being someone else or playing at being a real person....... who is someone else. Sort of thing.:heehee:
A lot of my best friends are called Jennifer.
Ok they aren't.

Daintre
07-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Picking a name or a screen name is a very personal thing to do. I chose Jenni long before you were born. Yes it is very selfish to try and tell others what name they shouldn't pick to accommodate yourself.

Jennifer and it's derivatives is a very popular name here on the forum I found close to 347 of us

Katherine/Catherine and their derivatives are popular also with about 130 or so.

A name is personal and members are free to pick what ever they want within reason.

I think enough has been said on this.