PDA

View Full Version : Curious

Christinedreamer
07-12-2008, 06:16 PM
For many years before finding this forum, I read all the magazines (Forum, Variations, Penthouse et al) that had any articles or letters about CDing.

One recurring theme I have found in all those as well as many posts here was that the CD felt it necessary or desirable to dress over the top or extreme so as to appear as a "****" or similar personage. I am curious as to the rationale or source of the desire to dress in such a provactive manner especially when few can pull it off well enough to look like a GG as opposed to a guy playing dress up on halloween.

I don't mean to insult anyone who enjoys this style of dress, I am just curious as to the draw of creating such an appearance as opposed to a more mainstream fashionable look of the majority of women in the real world.

There was another CD on a different site I visit who was so very cute but she used eye makeup to the extreme such that any pictures she took made her appear as though she was a raccoon in reverse- white eyes as opposed to dark.

When someone finally pointed out to her, she decided to try the "less is more" concept and her new look was adorable. She even felt more comfortable about venturing outside. Previously her perception was that so much makeup intensified the "femme" sensation for her but to the point where she was definitely a target for ridicule in the eyes of the public.

My personal concern is that when the general public sees a few CDs dressed this way they assume that we all do and we become tergets or at the least they have a much harder time accepting or understanding the concept whereas if we dressed more like real women they would not be so inclined to laugh at us as opposed to talking with us.

I have several gay and lesbian friends who carry similar concerns about the outlandish appearance of some folks in the Pride Parades. Things like the jerry Springer fodder of bare butt guys in chaps and drag queens with beards and giant sized phallic symbols marching down the streets.

They feel it does much more harm than good when we all are trying to be accepted and allowed to express our other side. In their words, "little steps" so as not to put the vanilla world on the defensive.

I hope I have not offended anyone, this is just a concern I have.

Christine

Again I am not denigrating anyone who enjoys the look, I am just curious.

Emily Anderson
07-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Christine,

I think there are at least two schools of thought around this type of appearance/behaviour.

1) Those that don't know any better and genuinely believe that it is what works best. This probably applies to the person you knew, who tuned things down after realizing that it was OTT.

2) Those that perfectly well know what they are doing, and use it as a means to attract attention.

Just my 2c.

Deborah Jane
07-12-2008, 06:28 PM
I dress like a **** coz it,s fun...Simple as that!!
I love wearing short skirts, tight tops and stiletos when i feel like it, it,s part of my enjoyment of crossdressing!!
For going outside, obviously i tone it down and try to blend in, but indoors...Anything goes!!

The third school of thought is those of us who dress like this because we want too!!!

Karren H
07-12-2008, 06:34 PM
I dress like any other well dressed woman out for a trip to the mall.... Cause that's how I like to look and I go to the mall alot.. lol

sterling12
07-13-2008, 05:04 AM
Looking at your Avatar, I see that you are wearing a dress with a very large petticoat. In this day and age, most people would consider that to be "extreme" or "over the top," if it were worn out in public. I will assume that you don't go out, or you don't wear that outfit in public places.

If you do wear these garments in public, then you are probably guilty of the very thing that you find fault with in other people.

And that's my point, even if we don't wear these types of clothes to Wallyworld, how we dress is very subjective. What you and I find offensive, will not be offensive to someone else. I have seen certain members of my Support Groups wear "School Marm" Granny dresses and things that also look rather strange to others, or at least to myself. IMHO, Looking like some old lady, with clothes 50 years out of date can have the same effect as The "Teeny-bop **** Look."

In the end, I suspect it will all even out. If you choose to dress inappropriately, your going to get a lot of additional hassle from other's. You can judge how inappropriate your dress with a direct relation to how many hassles you get.

Most who go out in public learn very quickly to "blend," or they get a lot of extra grief. I think the problem takes care of itself.

Why do some initially venture out dressed strangely? I think it's because they have a strong desire to try and emulate "Super-Female." They equate sexy dress and "looking hot" to being a "superior woman." Because of inexperience, Teen Girl's often go for the same type of look, and maybe both groups are similar, casting about and trying to find a personality that suits them. As a parent, I know that in a few years, Teen Daughter will "grow out" of looking weird.....hopefully most CD's learn that same lesson.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Empress Lainie
07-13-2008, 05:19 AM
I never crossdress to look male. So when I go anywhere, I want to look like a very goodlooking woman. I think I succeed pretty well from the compliments I get.

There are times I dress more casually, like in a braless tank top and shorts or a skirt, and with less jewelry. ( I confess, I am a jewelry junky, but even with a bracelet on each arm, and 5 rings, it is still not being overdone, not according to the comments I get) I usually wear a necklace, with a star or an L, or pearls.

I seem to stand out, but only as a woman. People frequently take my pics while I am dancing, and at the South Point the cameraman had me on the monitors at the lounge all night, even when others were dancing, and I saw one woman making a video of me dancing.

I don't think the guys would hit on me if they knew I was a tgirl.

Angie G
07-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Some CD's may see women this way and try to look like that. Others may just want to be a **** who knows. I don't go out so I can dress sexy and have that **** look when the feeling hits. But most of the time I'm like any other girl. :hugs:
Angie