PDA

View Full Version : Cute Critter Moment

TxKimberly
07-19-2008, 06:33 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2683060149_eb03e2f18a.jpg

As you read this, keep in mind my daughter does NOT know I wear dresses.

Last night I was putting my (almost) 5 year old daughter "A" to bed and was reading her favorite book to her - Cinderella. My daughter is a MAJOR girly girl and she adores frilly dresses like those that Cinderella and the other Disney princesses wear.

For those of you that are out there thinking "Oh that poor girl! She has a cross dresser for a father and he's making her wear that stuff" I give you my word I had nothing to do with her preferences in this regard. She came by her love of that stuff all on her own despite my not encouraging it, and my wife being a major Tom Boy.

So anyway, in this book, Cinderella gets married and they have a wonderful drawing of her in her beautiful wedding dress. My daughter looks up at me.

"I wish I had a beautiful dress like that!" she says with a wistful look on her face.

"You will someday sweetheart," I tell her, "That's a wedding gown and someday when you are much older, you will get married and you will have your own wedding gown."

She thinks for a moment and then asks "Did Mommy wear a wedding gown when you got married?"

"Yes, she did" I responded.

"Did YOU wear a wedding dress too Poppa?" she asks with not a hint of humor or sarcasm.

"No little one, I did not wear a wedding dress" I told her, probably with a bit of a wistful tone of voice myself now.

"Why not Poppa?" she asked.

"Because baby, some grown up made a silly rule that boys aren't supposed to wear dresses" I replied.

"Why not?" she asked, sounding just a little indignant that someone would just arbitrarily decide boys could not enjoy something she loves so much.

"I don't know why little one, but people would make fun of me if I wore a dress. It's kind of unfair huh?"

"Yeah, thats not fair Poppa, but you can still wear a dress in the house if you want to." She paused for just a moment as if a thought had struck her.

"But not MY dresses Poppa. They are TOO small for you!"

I laughed so hard I almost cried!

Shelly Preston
07-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Children say the sweetest things without even trying

You must be very proud of her :)

Sandra
07-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Aww that is so sweet.

TxKimberly
07-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Children say the sweetest things without even trying

You must be very proud of her :)

You have no idea! Sometimes just looking at her while she plays or watches TV makes my heart swell and my eyes tear. My wife calls me an old softy because she has caught me wiping tears out of my eyes on more than one occasion while talking to her. She's the sunshine and laughter in my life and I am so grateful God gave her to us.

Jennifer_G
07-19-2008, 06:46 PM
that is soooo heart warming. Pity we all could not take this attitude into adulthood instead of the predujices that prevail.

Maybe there is hope, what a lovely child she sounds adorable, if only the whole world was as tolerant there would be more understanding and less conflict.

One can hope.

Hugs Jen

Angela-Russell
07-19-2008, 07:06 PM
That's a very special girl you've got Kimberely, she must be a little treasure. I've got 2 girls, and a boy, & they still bring a tear to my eye, & lumps to my throat. There's nothing in this world that compares with being a parent.

Daintre
07-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Well we certainly do have a proud poppa here and I can sure see why. What a little angel.

TommiTN
07-19-2008, 07:16 PM
What a cutie!! You are truly blessed, Kimberly.

Amy Hepker
07-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Little Kids say the darndest things.

Missy Anne's GG
07-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Oh Kim,

What a beautiful and precious little girl! I felt teary-eyed as I was reading this.

She is a real darling, and she has a great Poppa!

Hugs, :hugs:

Missy Anne's GG

victoriamwilliams1
07-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Wow!

Lora Olivia
07-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Beautiful like her poppa and i am sure her momma tooDon't ya think she has Kim's eyes?

Angie Sweet
07-19-2008, 09:00 PM
What a great story!!! Hold on, wiping a tear. Children are a joy, they are born without prejudice, are not judgemental, and have an absolute love for Mamma and Poppa at that age.

Breanne
07-19-2008, 09:04 PM
"Out of the mouths of babes..." They are the wise ones!

Suzy Harrison
07-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Oh Kim ~ this also brought tears to my eyes as well...

It shows how honest and pure kids can be ~ before experience in the world programs them with pre-conceived ideas on what is supposed to be right or wrong.

Maybe we should put them in charge, as then the world would probably be a happier place to live in.

ReineD
07-20-2008, 01:44 AM
My heart fully melted! Your conversation reminded me of my own, with my boys when they were very little. Children are immensely connected to their souls! :love:

Thank you for sharing this.

Andine
07-20-2008, 01:59 AM
Thats a very touching story Kimberley!

Thanks for sharing such a lovely tale!

LindaMarie
07-20-2008, 02:16 AM
You have no idea! Sometimes just looking at her while she plays or watches TV makes my heart swell and my eyes tear. My wife calls me an old softy because she has caught me wiping tears out of my eyes on more than one occasion while talking to her. She's the sunshine and laughter in my life and I am so grateful God gave her to us.

Kim,

Thanks for sharing this cute, lovely story.

Our daughter is 8 and I know the feeling of watching my daughter and just feeling so fortunate that she's in my life.

I really am an old softy. When I put her to bed, she knows she can get me telling her stories and answering her questions long after I should have left her to go to sleep. I've gotten myself in trouble with my wife more than once because of this :)

Linda

vivianann
07-20-2008, 04:47 AM
Great moment you had with you precious daughter, cherish those moments my friend, what a lovely story. I sure miss the moments with my daughter that I have not seen for 11 years. take care of that sweet girl of yours.

Raychel
07-20-2008, 05:20 AM
I love stories like that. Children certainly can do wonders to one's heart.

Cherish those moments Kimberly. The next thing you know she will be all grown up. And those moments will be just a memory.

TGMarla
07-20-2008, 09:02 AM
All I can say, Kimberly, is that my day is better because you shared that story with us. Too cute! Thank you.

She's a little doll, huh? You are very lucky.

Holly
07-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Kimberley, I hope you share with your daughter that she touched a lot of hearts. And try not to be too sad... my daughter won't let me wear her dresses either :D. But we have gone out together... something for you to look forward to.:daydreaming:

Ann D Bluebird
07-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Awww! That's so sweet! Bless her! :hugs:

Karenon67
07-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Now, that's what you call "wisdom" . . . at any age. :thumbsup:

MJ
07-20-2008, 01:50 PM
that was so sweet thank you .

DonnaT
07-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Cute! :)

jennifer41356
07-20-2008, 05:59 PM
out of the mouths of babes......or kids say the darnedest things:love::love:

Amanda Nicole
07-20-2008, 06:13 PM
An absolutely touching story, Kimberly. Aren't the little ones wonderful? She sounds like a real sweetie! You brightened my day! Thanks for sharing...

Amanda Nicole
"Mandy"

Sally24
07-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Aren't little ones the greatest thing? Hold onto each of those memories, they are precious! Mine is 28 and she's still my little baby.

Dragster
07-20-2008, 06:48 PM
There's only one thing that comes close to providing the joy of being a parent, and that's becoming a grandparent. My grandson's 18 months old (a second is on the way), and he's just beginning to talk. I'm really looking forward to times like that Kimberely. Ain't life great at times!

Tony

Patty
07-20-2008, 07:01 PM
You are blessed-thanks for sharing the story with us :love:

whitelace
07-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Kim,
So wonderful for you to share those precious moments with us she's so adorable (I almost felt I was there ) kids have a second set of receptors esp little girls that know their dads so well . My daughter is days away from her wedding and for me it was a heartbeat ago that I was talking to her about similar things. They love us no matter what we wear ,they are connected to our inner spirit . It would probably be more tramatic on us if we were to tell our little secret then on them but there's always a time and a place for those conversations to occur. enjoy hugs....lacie:battingeyelashes:

Dawn Marie
07-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Kim,
I know how you feel. I have an eight year old daughter and she says some of the darndest things at times. But I wouldn't trade her for any amount of money, thou she does have her mothers' stubborn attitude with a hit of defiance. But I chalk it up to being a preteen.

Mary Morgan
07-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Kimberly, That is wonderful illustration of the love between a child and parent. No judgment, no limitations, just love and respect.

bimini1
07-20-2008, 09:42 PM
I believe that is more than her just "saying the darndest things". IMHO, there is some kind of unseen spiritual energy between father and daughter. I think some thoughts between you two are connected on the same frequency or wavelength.

CD Susan
07-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for sharing that beautiful story with us. If your daughter carries this attitude into adulthood she will make a wonderful wife for some lucky guy.

darla_g
07-20-2008, 10:03 PM
that was so cute!

joann426
07-20-2008, 10:05 PM
hi kimberly i think she might of known why men cant wear dresses or maybe she seen something that made her wonder about men in a dress she is so sweey to say that they always want to know( why) you did the right thing but dont let her know that you reallydo wear a dress they will find out in there lives about cding

pamela_a
07-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for sharing that Kim. It reminded me of my little girl and how insightful they can be. Treasure the little things because all too quickly they grow up. The only good thing about them growing up is you get to re-live it with your grandchildren.

-Paula-

paulaN
07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Kids are so cute and then they grow up. Cherish every moment at that age, it's the best. Tweens and teens are not so much fun.

Genifer Teal
07-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Society will eventually corrupt her thoughts. Until then you are doing your best to let her make up her own mind about the way things should be. I liek the way you explained it to her.

Gen