PDA

View Full Version : Make up advice

rubydiamond
05-18-2005, 01:39 PM
I have been dressing up for years, but only a day here and a day there kind of thing. Now I am out in the open about my dressing up and I want to start learning about make up. Can anyone give me some good starting points to go to and learn how and what to put on?

Ruby

Kimberly
05-18-2005, 03:03 PM
I also want to enquire about this.... also, specifically about removal techniques and products. Don't wanna be caught with a random piece of mascara still seeable when I go back to drab mode. :p

Katrina
05-18-2005, 03:19 PM
I started slowly. I bought some lipstick and started experimenting. Foundation is kind of tough since I'm pretty bad at matching my skin color when I'm in the store so that took some trial and error.

I use non-waterproof mascara and I always test eye liners and lipsticks on the back of my hands before I put them on to determine how difficult they will be to remove.

Get some Noxema facial cleanser - its not too rough on your skin and does a good job of getting most makeup off. I used to use hand soap, but that would dry out my skin big time. To get eyeliner off, either use eye makeup remover (the blue stuff I think), or put some hand soap on your fingers and GENTLY massage around your eyes with them closed. Rinse thoroughly before you even consider opening your eyes (duh).

To get lipstick off, I usually use kleenex and then follow with some Noxema. I'm sure some other girls will have much better advice - I'm still learning too.

As for tips on what to use, there have been threads in here on how and what to apply. One good one on eyeliner and lip liner is:
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6013

The major cosmetic companies have videos on application technique so try them out.

Most importantly, it takes GGs lots of experimenting time to get it right, so don't be disappointed if you look like you should be in a circus your first few times.

Have fun!

juneuk
05-18-2005, 03:39 PM
I also want to enquire about this.... also, specifically about removal techniques and products. Don't wanna be caught with a random piece of mascara still seeable when I go back to drab mode. :p

Kimberly
I have tried lots of makeup removers, some are better than others. The price is no indication as to how good they are.
I have found that Clinique make a good eye makeup remover. However my girlfriend does not like it.
And for the rest of the "slap" I've started using ASDA Essential Care facial wipes.
They are less than a pound for a pack of 25 and,for me, they work very well..better than some of the more costly types.
The added bonus is the don't smell.
As for putting it one ....practice, practice practice.
Remember less is more.
And ....Sods law says
It always goes wrong when you want to go out.

Veronica|Vincent
05-18-2005, 08:07 PM
This is what I know about makeup and how I apply.

Foundation is the most important part and the only thing worth spending a lot of money on to get something good quality. The cheap stuff works just fine for everything else for me.

1. Wash and clean your face.

2. Use a moisturizer. (your foundation will set with your moisturizer and helps prevent flaking)

3. give the moisturizer time to set, a minute or two.

4. Base. All over face.

5. let the base set.

6. foundation. Be careful and use lightly if using a sponge as to not lift the base (depends on kind of base too, some stay on better for foundation than others). If using a puff its mush easier.

7. Eyeliner. This is the most important and hardest part in creating a feminine look for me. Pay extra attention to the corners of your eye. What I do is I Create a line a fine point at each corner. The inner corner curves slighty downward. The outer corner I have curve slighly upward or create an "egyptian" kind of squiggle. pay attention to the definiton and thickness of the lines your create for your upper and lower eyelid. If using pencil u can be more liberal with your mistakes as you can smudge it into your eye shadow afterwards. You can opt to fill in your inner upper and lower eyelid area (filled in looks better for me). This will itch like crazy your first few times but you'll get used to it and it wont itch anymore or as much. With practice you will find the curves and line definition that works for you. I personally prefer liquid eyeliner, it requires a surgeons precision but is easier to create smooth lines for me.

8. eye shadow. 3 shades. general rules of thumb- the lower part of eyelid: medium shade. Upper part of eyelid: darkest shade. lower eye area: lightest shade. mix and match to find what works with your face, makeup, and clothes. With practice with the look you are going for you will find what works. After application I smudge it with my finger a bit to give more gradience.

9. Eye lashes. I do eyelashes before lipstick because I sometimes smudge my lipstick getting these things on. I use eyelash glue. I make a drop stick out of the end of the tube and run an eyelash thru it. I let the glue dry for a little bit so it becomes thick. If u let the glue become the right consistency before applying it wont fall off easily and will be easier to apply. Apply as best as possible matching your own lashes and try to slight curve the far end a little so the lashes can point upwards more easily.

10. mascara. your natural lashes may be whitened by your foundation application, this will fix that. One or two strokes per area only, you dont want clumps. if not wearing lashes use a stroke from the top the a stroke from the bottom

11. lipstick. Two shades with pencil liner is best most of the time. Apply lipstick over your natural lips as best as u can. Apply a darker shade of lip liner around the edges, but inside the "artifical lips" you wish to create. What I do then is I use a thin brush, I mix it with lip gloss then brush the side of my lip stick (lipstick mixed wixed with gloss work very well when using a brush for me), I then create very feminine lips by painting beyond my regular lips to create fuller lips that still look natural. It is Very important that your lines are perfect and that if you have two tips in the middle of your upper lip that they end in perfect points if your going for points or a natural curve. I then use my pencil to do some touch up blending. I sometimes also use two lipstick colors and blend them.

12. Blush. Use a dark color for the sides of your nose. This applies to most men and help to make your nose look thinner. Blush paying careful attention to your cheekbones to create a look for you. Dont forget to blush your forhead the same color as your cheeks.

13. Make sure that your ears, neck and chest area dont stick out and use foundation as necessary on those areas.

It is a common practice to use eyeliner on the eyebrows to define them. I have no experience in this. I have tweezed my eyebrows inbetween boy and girl so it looks ok in both. (my profile picture was a month or two of me jsut starting about a year ago so dont look at my eyebrows :) ). Eyebrow tweezing requires Lots of care.... one wrong hair pulled makes all the difference

Hopefully this as a perspective can help.

Makeup removal? I use an oil based cheap moisturizer and a paper towel and eyeliner remover to finish. ( 99 cents store has these, ateast where I live)