PDA

View Full Version : How to make own shoes?

bootsnleatherR4me
05-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Iwas wondering if anybody knows how to make your own shoes or boots?

jo_ann
05-19-2005, 04:52 AM
I don't think you want to even attempt making your own shoes. I know that if you want custom ones made (whatever size) they'll run you $150-$300 a pair. if you look at the construction of a high heel shoe, you start with the base (a hard thin piece of leather, bent into shape by wetting and then drying), then the main leather top half (again wetting and drying), then either stitching or glueing or both... even if you could do it, most likely you'd get a mess and it would fall apart.

StephanieCD
05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
I sold shoes for Nine West and as part of the training I had to learn about the process...

hun, unless you're making some costume booties for halloween as robin hood - don't even bother unless you are serious about it - and then, ask to apprentice in a shoe repair shop - it's a craft to be learned.

michelle-jean
05-19-2005, 03:44 PM
i spent 42 years in the shoe.biz. and hun. i can tell you you do not want to go there when it comes to trying to make them.it is not an easy thing to do,,,and yes you do need to know alot.......example.all leathers are not dyed the same way. all leathers are not cut the same way...another small example.you need to know what is ment by split leather. yes....shoe makeing is good but it is not easy to do,,,,,and it does take time alot of time and money . but if that is what you want do it. now if you want to get in to styleing thats not as hard to do,,,,,but it is still not as easy as one would think. but if this is what you want go for it. michellejean(mrs highheels ) ps. from somebody who has been there and had a lot of fun and made real good money.i would be the first to WISH YOU WELL. :)

Julie
05-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Here's a site that gives you some advice but lke the others say, you don't want to go there.

http://www.marywalesloomis.com/page2.html (http://www.marywalesloomis.com/page2.html)

JJ