PDA

View Full Version : This can't be real

Shannen
07-30-2008, 10:46 AM
This can't be real, can it? Can I really look like a woman?

During the last 6 months I have purchased a wig and makeup. I've set up the tripod and snapped away. I've decided that 90% of those pictures looked like me in women's clothing.

But the other 10% ??? They look like Shannen! I'm amazed! Can that really be me? Do other people ever see her? Does my wife ever want to see her? Do I want me wife to see her?

This is new for me. I've always felt comfortable in female clothing, but lately there have been times when I've felt 100% right! I contemplated for hours the other day on how lucky I was to have discovered this about myself. It is wonderful to live in a place and time where I can go to a movie as Shannen, but it is sad I do this only with fear of both short-term and long-term negative consequences!

:hugs:

Brina Halloween
07-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Sounds like my percentage using a tripod. Since most brother and sisters are recognizable as such, I guess we should not be too shocked.

DonnaT
07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Problem with photos is they are 2 dimensional, so some look good and some (most in my case) look bad.

tamarav
07-30-2008, 03:52 PM
I know that I am a bit extreme on some things, but within 11 months one of my cameras took over 1000 pictures. Of those, maybe 10% were pictures that I would show others, much less put here for review.

I believe it takes the experience of taking pictures, reviewing them with a critical eye and keeping only the very best. Then capitalize on what you feel are your most feminine points and pump those up on your next photo session.

Your percentage doesn't seem out of line at all. I work two doors down from a professional photographer. We talk a lot about pictures (simply because it may be the only common interest betweent the two of us) and he tells me he takes at least 50 shots for each really good protrait and then he will touch it up. So his percentage is closer to 1%.

I wouldn't feel bad at all...

Bev06 GG
07-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Actually Tamara,
I could say that too. Sometimes I take a wicked pic and look much better than in real life. However, the majority of the time I look dreadful. I really have to work on those angles.
Bev

Karren H
07-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Agreed... One of the mods on makeuptalk who has seen my video makeup tutorials and my photos has labeled me the worlds greatest poser.. Hahaha..

And I have my share of guy in a dress photos but you'll never see them!! :). I actually have an external drive dedicated to 10,000's of photos and movies.. And its filling up fast!!

But then again I can make it through the mall or the department stores without incidencs... So photos are one thing.. And a lot of fun btw... But for me at least, attitude is the governing factor...... over looks or clothes or makeup...

GraceUSA
07-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Photo's are pretty unforgiving... I tend to trust the mirror more. A picture is just what that instant showed, not who you are. Find the clothing that fits the best, makeup that works great and then be Shannen.

debbeelee1
07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
My SO takes lots of pics of me en femme, lots and lots! Maybe 10-20% are "good" in my eyes. Seems to be the common percentage. I'll bet some of the more passable girls get 90% great pics!

occdresser
07-30-2008, 04:41 PM
when i take my pictures i have to use a 10 second timer!

Tina Dixon
07-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Every now and then the man in a dress look does go away and then you do feel good.

Shannen
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
I could care less about the 90% ratio! That isn't my point...

My point is that until recently, Shannen has only existed in my mind. Even when I would dress up I would "fill in the gaps" with my imagination.

But once in a while I'll snap a pic, and I want to print it out and run around showing everybody. That's me! The pretty girl in that picture is me! :D And that makes me happy!

Alice B
07-30-2008, 05:24 PM
One of the things about cameras is that they see all the lens sees, while we are able to be selective with what our eyes see. We can sit in a room and narrow our focus to one thing in the room. The lens sees the whole room. The result is that when you take a shot of yourself you need to narrow the focus of the lens to just what you want to be seen, or select a lens that will do this for you. All that aside. A good shot of yourself THAT YOU LIKE is worth well over a thousand bad ones. Just keep enjoying your experiences and feelings while dressed, because that is what is really important.:hugs:

MJ
07-30-2008, 05:28 PM
out of about 100 pictures there are only 10 that might work out but i am picky

Zenith
07-30-2008, 05:28 PM
That's me! The pretty girl in that picture is me! :D And that makes me happy!

Such a rush...enjoy...makes it all worth it...

Even Epilating....

:c9:

whitelace
07-30-2008, 06:35 PM
OK here's my 2 cents on capturing a good shot of yourself or for that matter of anyone or anything . I have a fairly decent digital video camera, it's a Sony vx2000 3ccd 48x
it shoots 30 fps= frames per second
I find that after only a few minutes of shooting i can easily go back and find the one shot I'm looking for and print it if it's not there I'll try a different angle. good luck ....lacie:battingeyelashes:

victoriamwilliams1
07-30-2008, 06:59 PM
I have learned that cameras can be deceiving depending on how you take the photo, lighting and location. I have been in public and I have had people tell me they thought I was a GG until I used my real voice. At times I have used video and I too try to take a minimum of 25 photos of which about 5-10 make it to the web.

docrobbysherry
07-30-2008, 08:07 PM
My point is that until recently, Shannen has only existed in my mind. Even when I would dress up I would "fill in the gaps" with my imagination.

But once in a while I'll snap a pic, and I want to print it out and run around showing everybody. That's me! The pretty girl in that picture is me! :D And that makes me happy!

I only keep about 10% of my photos. But using a camcorder, that still leaves me with 100's per shoot.
Out of the 10%, I may be willing to show one out of 5.

However, every once in awhile, I see a pic that actually shocks me! :eek: Like u, I get so excited, I want to show it to everyone!

Rachel Morley
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
LOL! :) I'm not quite as bad as that (yet) but I do completely understand your sentiment :hugs:

I find, for me, it's all according to how I'm feeling too. Sometimes I'll wear the same outfit, the same makeup colors, and obviously the same hair (wig) but yet one time I think I look quite cute and fairly pretty but other times I think my makeup looks terrible, my wig is all dowdy and needs a wash, and my outfit shows "lumps" (fat) in my belly area. When I told my wife this, all she said was "darling, welcome to my, and a lot of other women's, world!" :D

KateSpade83
07-30-2008, 08:42 PM
About 1.8 years ago when I discovered I can pass and shop in drag my cding to on a whole new level of being! Shopping in drag is awesome!

Babette
07-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Shannen,

When it comes to amateur or even professional photography, the subject makes little difference in the production of good pictures. For example, when I shoot nature or landscape scenes, I will always take multiple shots from slightly different angles or light exposures. If I am lucky, I will get one great shot out of 40-50 exposures. The same goes for people shots including self portraits.

Here is a little hint for when you need that perfect shot of anyone including yourself. Be well rested and relaxed. Sometimes I will play uplifting music to improve my mood. When you had enough sleep and have a bright or uplifted spirit it will show in your photo. If you are tired, depressed, or stressed, then you cannot hide that no matter how hard you try.

Babette

harmony
07-31-2008, 12:05 AM
camera aside isnt what we do a way of expressing ourselves?and presto!!!sometimes we find a hidden gem of our female persona!
over the years it has been a puzzle that started out with no pieces and has grown to a point where harmony can almost be recognized .may be at the hour when i go back to my maker it will be complete when the last piece falls into place.

Nicole Erin
07-31-2008, 03:36 AM
Well shannen, of course we all take a few photos we are very proud of.
It is good that you are enjoying the woman you found within you. :)

Chari
07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Another factor to consider is the camera itself! Good or bad pictures can happen due to camera lenses, film speed, f-stops, lighting, etc. Recently took some self portrait pics and was very disappointed with the results. Looked like an ugly woman or a tired man in makeup. Changing the lighting, camera angle, f-stop, which produced better pics, so I keep trying.

CD Susan
07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
I could care less about the 90% ratio! That isn't my point...

Shannen, I know the feeling all too well. I too feel like showing that one good photo out of a hundred to everyone. Of course the only ones I show it to are my sisters and brothers on internet sites such as this one. It is a good feeling to see a photo that shows who we know we are on the inside. Going to a studio that does professional makeovers and photo shoots has been a life long desire of mine. Susan will really be out for every one to see when this day comes.

pamela_a
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Shannen. I think it's great you were able to capture the "real you" in a picture. I'd love to have a picture I could say was completely Paula.

I'm sure if you've been out and about there are many people who saw you as nothing other than Shannen.

-Paula-

tricia_uktv
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM
About 1.8 years ago when I discovered I can pass and shop in drag my cding to on a whole new level of being! Shopping in drag is awesome!

Which is what I am now finding. You do find yourself more comfortable in your female self when you are out doing it for real - and that shows up in the photos. Its brill :)

tvbeckytv
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM
i keep about 90% and chuck 10%.
I think it helps to be a rubbish photographer that never gets focus quite right.

girl_in_pantyhose
07-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Most GG's don't look female in their photos either! You need to up you figure by at least 5% or 10% because you know you are a male and if you didn't know your gender for some reason i think you might even give yourself more points! So looky there now 20% to 25% of your photos are of a Female by outside observers!

:D

Melora
08-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Good for you hun,
An please keep feeling GREAT..
And
Keep it up..
Do not feel bad..
It is you..