PDA

View Full Version : How Did you Learn Girl Stuff

Toni_Lynn
08-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Yesterday, as I was putting on my bra, my wife commented on the fact that I hooked it in front and then pulled it around and then pulled the straps up after placing my girls in the cups. She does it the other way, put her bra on cups first and then hooks it around back. She commented about why I did it the way I did. I said that I learned how to put on a bra when I was a teenager by secretly seeing my mum put on her bra. Therefore I do it the way she did.

That lead to a discussion about how we learned to do things we do as crossdressers -- how did we learn to do girl things. As we all know, in almost all cases, no one taught us how to do things like put on a bra, if we crossdressed as teens about what sizes we wore, or how to do things like put on makeup.

I recall getting the Penney's catalog and a tape measure and using the charts to figure out my bra size back when I was 13. I was so happy when I discovered that little extra that made it a AA cup. Of course I was probably also being a bit optomistic in measurements too :)

For makeup, I read Seventeen a lot. I got to work in the library at school, and tried to get assigned to the magazine room, which gave me a chance to look up the latest fashion and makeup advise.

It was definately all DIY for me.

So -- the question is -- how did you learn girl stuff?

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Daintre
08-03-2008, 08:14 AM
I learned girl stuff by watching my older sister a lot. She was always current in fashion and with make up. She was very popular and this had a lasting impression on me.

Katheryn
08-03-2008, 08:17 AM

I went the DIY method for a long time, as I used to be so far in the closet I was behind the back wall. Once I came out, I got lots of help from gg's, my sister was spectacular with makeup advice....

K

StacyCD
08-03-2008, 08:18 AM
I'm still learning--that's half the fun!

Katheryn
08-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I learned girl stuff by watching my older sister a lot.

My sister is younger and when I came out to her she commented that she had ideas based on the fact that I watched her do her makeup a lot.....LOL....

K

Veronica 1
08-03-2008, 08:43 AM

LOL Me too, and it is DIY all the way

Karen_Ski
08-03-2008, 08:49 AM

:)How true Stacy, we all learn everyday. I had two older sisters as well as Mom to watch then it was trial and error until I got the way I think it looked best. Still looking to get better and that is after 20 years of being out.

Stephanie Michelle
08-03-2008, 09:25 AM
How I learned (and still learning) is trail and error. I had have no sisters to watch growing up and never watched my mom a lot. My first wife was a cosmetologist and we owned a hair salon. I went to several conventions and went through makeup seminars with her.

I feel that a lot of what I do feels natural like I have always done this. I still would love to get a professional make over done to see how much better I can look. Hopefully that will be sooner than later.

StephaniE

Sonia_cd
08-03-2008, 09:29 AM
The strange thing is that it seemed to come so naturally that I didn't have to think about it even. None of the clumisiness normally associated with men trying on women's stuff, especially heels. I thought I would fall off before I tried my first pair and found that there really was nothing to it at all...

It's these little things that make me question whether I am more than just a CD, but I guess that is a road I am not going to go down here..

tamarav
08-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Binford products never had so many DIY addicts. We tend to be so hidden most of the time that we shy away from asking anyone how to do things. I learned from watching my two older sisters. They later made me up and taught me a lot.

The rest is from professional help and a lot of making mistakes on my own.

Your sis,

Tami

Toni_Lynn
08-03-2008, 09:37 AM
The strange thing is that it seemed to come so naturally that I didn't have to think about it even. None of the clumisiness normally associated with men trying on women's stuff, especially heels. I thought I would fall off before I tried my first pair and found that there really was nothing to it at all...

That's a good point. It did all seem so natural, and right. I recall watching the movie I Want What I Want (in 1986 -- more in a minute about first thoughts about it), and the scene where Wendy first tries on women's shoes. The clumsiness seemed so over the top. I remember thinking that it was nothing like that for me.

Hmm -- as I say, I first was aware of that film when it came out, and I remember, as an impressionable kid, saying, YES THAT'S IT!, and wishing that there was omeway I could go see it.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

jennifer ann
08-03-2008, 10:44 AM
DIY all the way. That is the most exciting part of it.

docrobbysherry
08-03-2008, 11:09 AM
I've learned to do almost EVERYTHING completely on my own. Of course u fasten your bra first and slide it around!

How about these?

Getting your nylons on over rough toes without tearing them?
Pulling up the rear zipper in a very tite dress?
Learning to walk on 5" spike heels altho the shoes slip around on your feet?
Using tape on your turkey neck, boob, and/or midsection?
And, of couse, finding out where and how to hide Big Tom and the twins in swim suits, etc.

I've learned more from u all here in 10 months, than I learned in the last 5 years on my own! Than u!

gennee
08-03-2008, 11:28 AM
I learned much from my mom, sister, and now, my wife. I was fashion conscious when I was young though not necessarily a clothes horse. I wanted to look my best so I cultivated what I learned and created my own style. I learned to put on makeup by trial and error. It's much better now. I'm still learning things.

Gennee

:)

AmandaM
08-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Trial and error and read my sister's fashion magazines. Became good at my makeup. But, then I went for a professional makeover and training session to enhance passability.

windycissy
08-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Like the other girls said: trial and error, women's magazines (great for makeup tips) and observing women a lot...one funny anecdote: recently I treated myself to a garterbelt and stockings, and at first I was flummoxed by how to get those little tabs to work, then I remembered when I was a kid putting on my sister's stockings and girdle which had those same tabs and it came right back to me!

Mary Lee
08-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Some trail and error. Watching my ex and girl friends, I dod not have a sister(s). Gaining the confidence to ask for help at stores. Magazines and web sites like this one.
I just found out that either junior or pettie bottoms fit me (29" inseam) the best because I do not have misses hips or butt. Now the top is a different situation, misses XL.

Karren H
08-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I just kind of picked it up.... from anyone and everyone.... Those things my mother forgot to tell me about, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention that day!!! lol

Rachaelb64
08-03-2008, 02:53 PM
By watching, reading and of course trial and error :)

Jilmac
08-03-2008, 04:03 PM
For me it was mostly trial and error. I had five sisters, (three older) but it was taboo to watch them dress or undress so I couldn't learn much from them. I was able to observe girlfriends and both my wives and could see that dressing for them was sort of a ritual. I grew up in the days of stockings and garters so the ritual would go the same way all the time with my girlfriend.

She seldom wore a garter belt so she would start with panties, then she would put on her nylons and a girdle and then hook up the stockings. Next on went her bra and slip, then her dress or skirt and top. as far as putting on their bras, my first and second wife would put the straps over their shoulders, adjust the cups over their breasts, then reach behind and hook it. My gf hooked hers in front then slid it around, put her arms through the straps, then adjusted the cups.

When I dress I have a sort of combined ritual that I developed from watching them. If I choose an outfit that I know is tight, I will start with a waist nipper then panties. If my outfit is looser or I'm wearing jeans or capris, I will always start with panties. As far as makeup, no matter how much I watched and tried to do the same, I am still not very good with it. I may need to take makeup lessons.

Marla
08-03-2008, 04:21 PM
My first wife was a beautician and I learned by watching her and wishing I could be doing all that to myself. I finally told her and she spent hours helping me do my make up and hair correctly. I loved sitting in her shop and dreaming about how I could have my hair and nails done. Marla

Alana65
08-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Yesterday, as I was putting on my bra, my wife commented on the fact that I hooked it in front and then pulled it around and then pulled the straps up after placing my girls in the cups. She does it the other way, put her bra on cups first and then hooks it around back. She commented about why I did it the way I did. I said that I learned how to put on a bra when I was a teenager by secretly seeing my mum put on her bra. Therefore I do it the way she did.

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Everything was trial & error...... but I put my bras on just like your wife does :D.

Tina Dixon
08-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Still learning on some stuff but it did take a couple of years to figure out that panties go on the bottom and a bra goes on top:D

Carroll
08-03-2008, 07:09 PM
My three sisters, mom, wife and here

bah-bah-bobbie
08-03-2008, 07:19 PM
A few things I learned from my married days. I had as much fun helping my now ex-wife get dressed as helping her undress. The rest was trial and error. I agree with those who say that is the best way to learn. The lessons best learned in life are those learned the hard way.

Billie1
08-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Nope, never had sisters, ex-SO just so-so, so just doing what feels right, and going through on-the-job training! :D

Jodi
08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
At first it was DIY and trial and error. As I became more confident, I began to listen to my gg friends. I was not afraid to ask questions. They were willing and able to assist. For basic fashion, I would ask the SA's in the store to help me match and accessorize outfits. Once you see it done, it becomes easy. Just ask what you want to know and listen to them.

Jodi

ReineD
08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I do not have any sisters, and my mother and I never discussed fashion and make-up. I do not even remember seeing her put any on. As a teen-ager, my girl-friends and I did not engage in girly-girl activities like experimenting with make-up and clothes. We were into hanging out in crowds listening to music and engaging in other recreational activities. :)

So I learned by trial and error over the years with a demonstration or two at department store make-up counters. My most valuable learning experience was at a MAC counter 15 or 20 years ago. Still today, my attitude is "less is more".
:hugs:

Sarah Doepner
08-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I didn't have sisters or an opportunity to watch my mother do any of the detailed dressing or make up. Getting into most of the clothing was pretty much common sense, so long as you consider buttons and zippers up the back as common sense. I was pretty flexible when I was younger and could do a pretty good job of getting into things and figured out how to use strings or paperclips to make back zippers larger.
Makeup was out of magazines and off the internet. It wasn't until I was about to go out in public for the first time I got any feedback from someone else. That was another CD I knew through the internet. Since then it's still been observation and trial and error in front of a mirror. My wife has given me a few suggestions, but most of it is my own doing.

Cristi
08-03-2008, 08:51 PM
For me, mostly trial and error and looking at things like the mail-order catalogues (the only resource available in the early 70s!)

Some things I got right away, and others I did wrong for a while before realizing my mistake. For instance, I started off for the longest time thinking that PH went on first UNDER the panties (reasoning that the panties helped the hose stay up).

As for the bra... I have to admit that I do it an even easier way :) I leave it fastened in the back and pull it over my head, just like putting on a shirt. This would be tough if I had breasts, but since I put the forms is afterward, I don't have any difficulty.

I can do the 'fasten behind my back' thing only with bras that have 2 hooks. Once you get to the larger bras with 3-4 hooks things just get too confusing for my hands to do by feel :doh:

The biggest thing I learned by watching are things like how girls sit, how/when they smooth their skirt under them as they sit, and how they get into and out of cars. I watch this kind of thing whenever I can to pick up tips.

Nicole Erin
08-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Just kind of trial and error.

I had hung around other CDs at first and also looked for books about how to CD but never with any luck. Miss Vera's book was useless.

There was one girl I hung out with named "Candi" who taught me some good things about CDing. Over 1/2 of what I initially learned was from her. She taught me a lot of the basics. She was the first person to ever do my eyebrows. I have kept them that way since.

For selecting colors, I had went to an Elizabeth Arden stand and had a makeover, and I knew from that what colors to start with. [This was before I met Candi]

My first makeup book was "Woman's Face". Not a whole lot of useful stuff but I was chomping at the bit at the time.

Clothing sizes? I forget how I learned of that. I think I finally got the nerve to try on clothes at a good will and when things fit, I carefully noted the sizes.

A drag queen named Jordan I used to talk to explained how to select shoes. Add 2 to the male size. My male is 9.5 but woman 12 is too big, so I used size 11. Works perfect.

You know I told Candi that I was really happy she could help but how could I return such a huge favor? She told me "Well someday you will run into someone just starting out and it will be your duty to help her". Sadly, I have not had the chance to return this favor. :sad: Not that I am some expert but I would love to be able to jump start someone into CDing, at least get them past "what size shoe should I wear?" and things.
Erin

joanne anderson
08-03-2008, 09:51 PM

It's these little things that make me question whether I am more than just a CD, but I guess that is a road I am not going to go down here..

Like you Sonia, it all seem to come without too much difficulty. I suppose I saw things in film,tv etc and with time it all just happened.
I and high heels are one of my favourite starting points.

Joanne

Michaela
08-03-2008, 10:03 PM
3 major sources for me...

the very very top one is clearly Harpers Bazzar :daydreaming: my absolute favorite magazine because what it did for me is taught me how new fashion worked and while it only focused on Prada, Gucci, Armani, Donna Karen, etc... it still explained what they were doing... so I figured out the style forward... if all those designers were making close that were (one that sticks out in mind mind) various shades of white for the spring... I went to the thrift store and bought the sexiest stuff in various shades of white that I could find :) both boy stuff and girl stuff... it was great because I was also in decent shape at the time so I looked hott! so that is how I learned trendy...

I learned hookerish and seductive from drag... I got my start in drag... I came out of the closet and told my mom and friends that I liked boys and maybe 2 weeks later I was doing drag... many drag queens were evil and I am still bitter at the LGBT community for some of the crap that happens around the drag-show-watching section of the community but all the same I learned alot about functionality, wigs, some about makeup but most of those tips were horribly useless for real life... etc

then finally I found Cosmo Girl which was just right for a more reasonable approach... it helped bring me back down to the real world after all the bad advice I got from the drag queens :p

Beth-Lock
08-03-2008, 10:52 PM

Toni-Lynn

My mom did it the reverse way when she got old and arthritic, but the regular way, most of her life, and I did learn both by watching her. I ended up doing it the reverse way at first, and then, with practice learned how to do it the regular way, hands behind the back.
Perhaps GG's learn a lot of things by talking to each other, which is a major part of being femme. I am learning things in a variety of ways, including by small talk with GG's. As well a variety of other info sources contribute.
Being femme in general seems to be a communication intensive thing.