PDA

View Full Version : HRT help

snyderarts
08-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I would like to start undergoing HRT. Its something that i've wanted since i was 14. I'm not sure how to go about this. I don't make a whole lot of money and i have no medical insurance, i can't afford to pay a therapist out of pocket.

Self medicating would sound like the way to go... but that just scares me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Priss
08-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I would like to start undergoing HRT. Its something that i've wanted since i was 14. I'm not sure how to go about this. I don't make a whole lot of money and i have no medical insurance, i can't afford to pay a therapist out of pocket.

Self medicating would sound like the way to go... but that just scares me. Does anyone have any ideas?

When it comes to HRT, there are many options out there. You could probably get away with trying some of the herbals, that's usually a rather benign way to go. Please do remember however that self medicating can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Although the person who said this to me, said it unwittingly, the best advice I got when I first started was "You need help...". And now I pass those words on to you. When I first set my foot on this path, I too was not in the best position to be doing all of this. What I found was the help of a community thats been there and done all that. The therapist I went with was willing to work with me on a sliding scale, allowing me to afford payments. The point here being that there's probably some sort of TS community near where you live, that's willing to give you as much help and advice as they can. Seek them out. You may be surprised at just what you can do.

snyderarts
08-03-2008, 12:43 PM
When it comes to HRT, there are many options out there. You could probably get away with trying some of the herbals, that's usually a rather benign way to go. Please do remember however that self medicating can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Although the person who said this to me, said it unwittingly, the best advice I got when I first started was "You need help...". And now I pass those words on to you. When I first set my foot on this path, I too was not in the best position to be doing all of this. What I found was the help of a community thats been there and done all that. The therapist I went with was willing to work with me on a sliding scale, allowing me to afford payments. The point here being that there's probably some sort of TS community near where you live, that's willing to give you as much help and advice as they can. Seek them out. You may be surprised at just what you can do.

I have been looking for some sort of support in the community. all i've been able to find so far is GSA and GBLT groups at the local school... have to be a student to join them.

Priss
08-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I have been looking for some sort of support in the community. all i've been able to find so far is GSA and GBLT groups at the local school... have to be a student to join them.

You're likely to have to go toward the larger communities. Cities such as Seattle, Portland OR, Chicago, Indianapolis (just a few that Iam familiar with) all have some sort of TG community. No matter where we are, we all seem to find each other... Do some internet searching around one of the larger cities near you. You're likely to atleast find some sort of GLBT group that will probably refer you to a TG group if you contact them.

AngharadD
08-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I'd recommend avoiding herbals, they're mostly snake oil and a dose that works would require something of horse-killing proportions. For these prices you would probably be safer getting a couple year supply of spiro ;)
You might be able to get hold of a gp who might be willing to do it, some lgbt centers, even some youth centers might have some resources.
Otherwise, well, I might recommend the wiki at t-vox.org, they have pages with info for local resources.

snyderarts
08-03-2008, 05:19 PM
I'd recommend avoiding herbals, they're mostly snake oil and a dose that works would require something of horse-killing proportions. For these prices you would probably be safer getting a couple year supply of spiro ;)
You might be able to get hold of a gp who might be willing to do it, some lgbt centers, even some youth centers might have some resources.
Otherwise, well, I might recommend the wiki at t-vox.org, they have pages with info for local resources.

i'm new to a lot of terms still... but what is Spiro? and what does GP stand for?

tgirlinva
08-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Whoever recommends you to take herbal treatments doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Imagine, if there was something out there that was harmless and successful, wouldn't we all be on it by now? Seriously, I am the queen of cheap, and don't want to spend a penny more than I have to, but as far as HRT is concerned, you need to seek someone PROFESSIONAL and EXPERIENCED! Someone who has dealt with transgendered issues. There are plenty of financial options out there (i.e. installment plans, etc.), trust me, if a doctor is willing to help you and thinks you are truly genuine, he/she will work something out with you. But the bottom line is, don't go at it alone. i mean, would you trust yourself to do surgery on yourself, knowing you know nothing? no. same thing. get professional attention, i can't stress that enough.

AngharadD
08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
i'm new to a lot of terms still... but what is Spiro? and what does GP stand for?

Spiro is short for spironolactone, it's a common anti-androgen also sold under different names. It also happens to be medication prescribed for high blood pressure.
GP is general practitioner - your typical generalist medical doctor.

AngharadD
08-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Whoever recommends you to take herbal treatments doesn't know what he/she is talking about. Imagine, if there was something out there that was harmless and successful, wouldn't we all be on it by now? Seriously, I am the queen of cheap, and don't want to spend a penny more than I have to, but as far as HRT is concerned, you need to seek someone PROFESSIONAL and EXPERIENCED! Someone who has dealt with transgendered issues. There are plenty of financial options out there (i.e. installment plans, etc.), trust me, if a doctor is willing to help you and thinks you are truly genuine, he/she will work something out with you. But the bottom line is, don't go at it alone. i mean, would you trust yourself to do surgery on yourself, knowing you know nothing? no. same thing. get professional attention, i can't stress that enough.

I understand the recommendation, which is very sane, but it's an open secret that finding a professional to start is hard, that the vast majority of trans people after a few years are almost entirely unsupervised (whether post, pre or nonop), and that finding support is especially hard when you're young and broke. So I'm torn, but I also happen to believe that there are safe ways to go at it nonetheless - although starting would require bloodwork which might come in at a rather steep cost if not done under the care of a doctor or some place that would do it for cheap. And I really don't think I want to start a discussion on diy and the specific barriers thrown at youth which often make it the only really accessible option :-/

Nicki B
08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Herbal remedies are just a way to waste money. They can be very variable in strength, and to have any real effect you have to take huge quantities, with significant side effects - then they are certainly NOT benign.

This are significant body changes, you are talking about - that carries risk. A lot of people every year do themselves irreparable damage, so only do this under medical supervision (including regular blood tests and LFTs if you absolutely must self-med)?

AmberTG
08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
You should start by getting a blood test for the various liver function indicators, so that you know if your liver can handle the stress of hormones. Even young people can have hidden liver problems, and hormones affect the liver the most. If you're lookin g for information on do it yourself info, there's a website out there that has a lot of information. The rules of the forum don't allow me to post it here, but if you send me a private message, I can give you the website. Just remember, none of the information on that website is from professionals such as doctors and you should use caution with any thing you take.

snyderarts
08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
You should start by getting a blood test for the various liver function indicators, so that you know if your liver can handle the stress of hormones. Even young people can have hidden liver problems, and hormones affect the liver the most. If you're lookin g for information on do it yourself info, there's a website out there that has a lot of information. The rules of the forum don't allow me to post it here, but if you send me a private message, I can give you the website. Just remember, none of the information on that website is from professionals such as doctors and you should use caution with any thing you take.

I would like nothing better then to get myself tested... but not having health insurance makes thinks harder.

MJ
08-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Dear Sarah ,
i understand your dilemma , how ever the best route to go would be a doctor .

how ever i also went on my own this web site :- http://www.transgendercare.com/ . is by doctors who have dealt with trans people for many years they know many of us self medicate and they show you the best way to do so safely *** but they would rather you see a doctor *** they don't wish to hear of another trans person who died because they over dosed on estrogen ..

as for me well i got caught out " red handed " it did not go well for me except i did see a doctor and do this right . i understand the moral implications here but if your going to do this make sure you read up and know what your getting in to .. some changes are permanent some you may not want but it comes with the package my friend