PDA

View Full Version : Theripist

Lauren1973
08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Hello all!

Ok so my second visit to the Dr. and already he is trying to talk me into going full time and starting hormones in a few monthes. This is a positive thing in my book but.....still unsure how my wife is going to take it all. She knows everything and feels like it wrong to make me stay as a male if that is not who I am at the core.Well as most of us know when married and with family this would be or will be a rough road. Any supporting words or advice from those who have already travled this road?

Thank you all!
Lauren

VtVicky
08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
What kind of a doctor? And why is he trying to talk you into anything? Has your wife been involved in the sessions?

I see red flags all over this. Go very, very slowly.

Jenna Lynne
08-04-2008, 11:26 PM
I agree with Vicky. A reputable psychologist will not try to talk you into anything.

Well, that's not quite true. If you're drinking, for instance, a reputable psychologist might tell you, "I can't help you unless you stop drinking." But from your brief description, it doesn't sound as if your doctor is saying, "I can't help you unless you go full-time."

But maybe that IS the agenda. Some professionals are still operating with the black-and-white, either-or thinking that was the prevailing "wisdom" 30 years ago. He might be very uncomfortable with the idea that you're in a fuzzy gray area with respect to your needs and desires, if that's where you are. He might be thinking, "This person can't possibly want to live with that combination of desires. This person is lying to herself. The only solution is surgery."

On the other hand, you may just have phrased your description in a way that doesn't give us an accurate impression. Is he trying to talk you into it, or is he simply accepting and supporting your own self-statements to him that you want to go full-time?

Even if you said that to him, I don't think a reputable psychologist would be willing to make an unequivocal stand on anything (other than requesting that you delay any life-altering decisions for a while) after only two visits!

Two visits are not enough for even the most intuitive professional to be certain of the truth-value of what you're reporting to them.

Having said all that ... medical advice that you get on the Internet is worth exactly what you pay for it, which is nothing. If you know in your heart that this is the right doctor for you, and if what he says resonates with you, then I hope you'll cheerfully ignore all of the nervous replies you get in this forum!

Anyway, I haven't addressed your question, have I? You were asking about the impact on your family. I have no wife or kids, so I can't comment on that.

***Jenna Lynne***

(who has no degree at all, and is therefore an expert on anything you'd care to ask her about!)

suzanne
08-05-2008, 12:56 AM
When a hammer is the only tool you have, everything begins to look like a nail. The suggestion to begin transition right away may be good news to your ears, but how can you be sure it was well considered on his part? Sounds hasty to me. IMHO, you need a second opinion before making an irreversible move.

As your CD sister, I want to know that you get the best possible outcome for YOU. For others in this forum, the right solution runs the entire spectrum from full SRS at one extreme to occasional panty underdressing at the other.

Also, I thought there was something of a standard in which the patient undergoes a year-long 'life test'. This means female 24/7/365 in name and everything. If the patient decides she is choosing the right thing, THEN the hormone treatment can begin. Once again, your doctor might be spot on with you, but more time and more different opinions means you can be more confident.

sterling12
08-05-2008, 03:48 AM
It's not The Doctor who decides, it's you! Your call, your life....it can't be handled any other way.

If you are feeling pressure from The Doctor, it may be that you are very sensitized to this issue, it may be that you subconsciously like the idea of thinking that someone else is telling you what to do.

But, the reality is always going to be that The Ultimate Decision is yours and yours alone. YOUR STUCK WITH IT!

Anyway, I wouldn't rush anything. You don't have to go on hormones tomorrow. You have waited this long, a slow, thoughtful, process about your own life would seem to be in order.

Talk to your wife, think about your Family, think about the pros and cons.....then, you should be able to make a thoughtful decision that you can live with.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Bev06 GG
08-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Hi Lauren,
I dont want to burst your bubble but I'd be very wary of any doctor who tried to talk me into anything. I'd be even more wary if it only took two sessions for him to be convinced that it was the road for me.
Dont get me wrong I admire you greatly, but what you are doing is the single most important decision you will ever make in your life and it isn't to be taken lightly.
I do know a couple of TS who have gone the whole way only to end up totally dissatisfied with their job lot. It certainly hasn't made them happy and fulfilld people and one of them is blaming his therapist for bad advice. Not saying thats right of her but what I am saying is you need proper counselling.
Take care
Bev

dresser1974
08-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Is that what you want? do you want to go through the change or do you just like to look like a woman? Remember when daddy and the boys are gone it is for good!!