PDA

View Full Version : OCD & crossdressing

jill s
08-05-2008, 06:44 PM
I my search for information about CD/TV I came across a web site that talked about using the same drugs that are used to treat OCD for transgender compulsions. The author made it sound like the medical profession is ignoring this idea (I would think the drug companies would be all over it).
My question is this: Any of you been treated for OCD with drugs and noticed any change in the CD/TV urges? Also do these drugs have many side effects?

curse within
08-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I my search for information about CD/TV I came across a web site that talked about using the same drugs that are used to treat OCD for transgender compulsions. The author made it sound like the medical profession is ignoring this idea (I would think the drug companies would be all over it).
My question is this: Any of you been treated for OCD with drugs and noticed any change in the CD/TV urges? Also do these drugs have many side effects?

:D PLEASE if anyone has post a link or site that sounds promiseing.

VtVicky
08-05-2008, 11:16 PM
OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

In a simplified nutshell: Think of it as having two main components --Obsessions and Compulsions.

Obsessions are thoughts, and compulsions are behaviors. They are a disorder if they bother you, or interfere with your daily life in some way.

Current medications help an individual regain control of them. (emphasis on "control".) The meds will not "make them go away".

If your CDing is all consuming, and you can not control it, and you, (you, NOT someone else), are unhappy with the situatiion, see a therapist and try the meds.

For the most part the meds are very effective and have few major side effects. However, one of the side effects occasionaly experienced by some people is a reduction in libido.

I once had a patient who was masturbating 10 to 20 times a day. After starting the meds he reduced it to 2 or 3 times a day.

I have no experience using medication to treat CDing, primarily because, I have never had anyone come to me complaining of CDing. (an occasional SO complained, but not the CDer himself.) You taking meds to deal with someone else's problem with your CDing is ill advised.

ANY use of medications should be coordinated with your physician, and tried only if you meet the physical requirements of the medication.

I hope this helps

Michaela
08-05-2008, 11:21 PM
not me... I am afflicted with a few (and been diagnosed with some) mental disorders... but OCD is not one of them... all the same... I just wanna say that I dont think those types of drugs would work for most CDers... I think it is a completely different monster... which doesnt need a cure, but needs a way for those who desire it to learn that it's ok :D :2c:

curse within
08-05-2008, 11:25 PM

In a simplified nutshell: Think of it as having two main components --Obsessions and Compulsions.

Obsessions are thoughts, and compulsions are behaviors. They are a disorder if they bother you, or interfere with your daily life in some way.

Current medications help an individual regain control of them. (emphasis on "control".) The meds will not "make them go away".

If your CDing is all consuming, and you can not control it, and you, (you, NOT someone else), are unhappy with the situatiion, see a therapist and try the meds.

For the most part the meds are very effective and have few major side effects. However, one of the side effects occasionaly experienced by some people is a reduction in libido.

I once had a patient who was masturbating 10 to 20 times a day. After starting the meds he reduced it to 2 or 3 times a day.

I have no experience using medication to treat CDing, primarily because, I have never had anyone come to me complaining of CDing. (an occasional SO complained, but not the CDer himself.) You taking meds to deal with someone else's problem with your CDing is ill advised.

ANY use of medications should be coordinated with your physician, and tried only if you meet the physical requirements of the medication.

I hope this helps
That sounds like great advise thank you will look into that I once seen a therapist and was told most all CD cases are not curable this was 10 years or so back, she went on to say that it is best to act it out and be as you are. What really gets me is 10 to 20 times a day ? the guy must have worn it down to a pencil nub WOW!

Sally2005
08-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Some drugs like paxil which are used for depression are also used for bi-polar and compulsions. It is the quantity of drug that seems to matter. I took paxil for some time and found that my desire to CD was not really impacted. However, my anxiety about stepping out the door was reduced. Libido is not really less, but what happens is the sensation is just different and it takes longer to reach completion...my guess is it is closer to what a GG feels. Some compulsive behavior related to depression was reduced...for example, if you feel the need to go eat at a resturant because you are too tired and feel run down (depressed) to prepare a meal at home, the desire to do the compulsive thing to compensate for feeling depressed was gone. So unless the trigger for CDing is depression then the drugs probably won't help. The drugs are used as a bridge to help you get over a bad spot and then you are supposed to learn how to deal with it off the drugs.

bimini1
08-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Well, I've been on zoloft at times and it seemed to decrease the urges. I could have very well been in the placebo syndrome I do not know.

Michaela
08-06-2008, 12:50 AM
well if we are going to talk mental meds...

about a week before I joined here. I started back on Lexapro. which is an antidepressant. but I take it for anxiety.

of course I had been down. and what is one of the things that sparked in my mind as it cleared? the fact that I have been denying who I really am.

Of course I consider myself to be a woman 100%... body or not...

but all the same, it was the re-claiming of my confidence and stability mentally that was a major contributor to me reaching out to being a part of a community like this again and re-claiming michaela.

darla_g
08-06-2008, 01:08 AM
lot of good information in here

baby beluga
08-06-2008, 03:52 AM
Any of you been treated for OCD with drugs and noticed any change in the CD/TV urges? Also do these drugs have many side effects?

Well, OCD (and other mental illnesses) runs in my family, and I have a little bit of it. I'm currently on Wellbutrin XL which is also marketed under the name Zyban for a smoking-cessation aid. I've noticed that it's helped with all my obsessive tendencies, crossdressing included. I'm still into it and stuff, but not as much compared to when I'm not medicated.

edit: I've taken Lexapro in the past and didn't notice anything different about the OCD stuff.

Nadia-Maria
08-06-2008, 06:05 AM

Very clear and very interesting. Some thoughts about it.

My CDing can be viewed as an OCD, because it relates to : « obsessions and compulsions » and « interfere with my life in some way ».
However I can control it in a large extent , and have controlled it rather successfully for more than 50 years.

I can’t help but notice it is very much like any other hobbies of mine, for instance my lifelong passion for astronomy. Nighttime observing had much interfered with my life (and marginally with my daytime job as well, since I was able to manage both) for 20 years, much like an OCD. I was certainly obsessed by my observations and was compulsively doing them, whenever the sky was uncloudy, even without any pleasure just as if I was compulsively forced to do them.

Finally I chose willingly to stop (that is to drammatically reduce) the nighttime observing, mainly in order to be able to live another life such as looking for a mate and funding a family (what I did a few years later).

I believe there is a difference with my CDing, though : I would not be able to stop it, and have no good reason to do it, because it’s always a pleasure to do it, and I immediately dress again in drab, at the very moment I get no more pleasure en femme. I doubt this can be the same with any compulsive behaviour.

Moreover CDing is more than either a behaviour (or an obsession) for me, it’s a way of life, a mean to fulfill some of my deepest aspirations.

Nadia