PDA

View Full Version : I have no guts.

matrioshka
08-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I went to the mall tonight, and stood in front of the Sephora store for a good 15 minutes trying to gather the courage to go in. I was going to buy some basic makeup stuff, and see what they had for beard cover, but I couldn't do it.

I had a bunch of reasons why I shouldn't, but it comes down to lack of guts. I should have bought something, if just to break the ice.

Saw some nice shoes at Aldo though. Doubt they had them in a size 12.

Kicking myself,

Katrina

christid66
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I know how you feel....It still happens to me. However, more often than not, I just get over it and just walk in. I'm then surprised at how little attention people pay me and then when walking out having made my purchases, I wonder what I was getting myself all worked up about.
Keep trying Hon....It'll come!:hugs:

Ashley in Virginia
08-06-2008, 08:08 PM
I have no guts either. Dont feel bad

Nicki B
08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
If you were really buying things for your GF/SO/sister, etc, do you think you would feel the same?

Ask yourself what are you afraid of - what could happen? Think it through and decide how you could cope with all the things you think of (confronting fear and breaking it down makes it more manageable). Sticks and stones, etc - words can't really hurt you, but you can hurt yourself?

Then, when you do actually do it (you will, you know), you'll find none of them happen anyway. ;)

xx

PrettyGiGi
08-06-2008, 08:29 PM
The girls at Trade Secret love it when I come in to buy OPI. They have new colors all picked out. It was hard the first time but worth it.

Sharon
08-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Don't feel bad, it happens to just about everybody in the beginning. The first steps are always the hardest and you will continually encounter new first steps the more you get out there. If you truly want to buy make-up, clothing, or whatever, you will -- I promise you.

The secret to all this? You just have to breathe deep and push yourself -- kinda like diving off the high diving board for the first time. It's scary as hell, but once it's over you wonder what the big deal was. :)

Good luck!

TxKimberly
08-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Not at all Katrina! You just can't imagine how many times I did exactly that before I finally went through with it and went in. No exaggerating, I probably did that 30 or 40 times. Get to the parking lot, maybe even part way from my car to the store, movie theater, club, etc and just couldn't go through with it. Your fighting a life time of "programming" (for want of a better word) that tells you that you shouldn't be doing this, that it's not acceptable, that people will laugh at you. It's NOT an easy thing to over come, but if you want to, you WILL get there. :-)

. . . The secret to all this? You just have to breathe deep and push yourself -- kinda like diving off the high diving board for the first time. It's scary as hell, but once it's over you wonder what the big deal was. . .

Sharon describes this perfectly!

Shannen
08-06-2008, 09:20 PM
I dare you to do it!

:heehee:

That is what I said to myself the first time... and it worked! I took the dare!

...and I second the take a deep breath part... the other day I almost hyperventilated standing in line for a movie ticket! I had to take a few deep breaths and remind myself that nothing that happened in the next 10 minutes would cause the world to end.

:hugs:

Shannen

PS... I meant the first time I went through with it! I too chickened out many a time!

Daintre
08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Katrina, I did the same thing, I walked to and fro in front of the store saying this time I'm going in....rats...I walk back again. I finally just had to take a deep breath and I went in, scared and elated at the same time. You can do this.

rachellenicole
08-06-2008, 10:07 PM
As the other girls said, you just have to suck it up. Once you put one foot in the door, maybe browse a bit and make your first purchase it does gets easier each trip. I have been in your shoes and it is nerve-racking on your first trip or two... or three, just make it fun, and it will be.

"Just Do It"

Rach

trannie T
08-06-2008, 10:12 PM
I have never had that problem, the first time I went shopping I walked right up to the counter and in a loud clear voice said, "I would like to purchase a bra for myself."
Yeah right.
I was terrified. I have cut and run several times when I wanted to buy something. It becomes easier and easier as time goes by, don't be hard on yourself, you are perfectly normal.

Roberta Marie
08-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Katrina,

While I was on a busyness trip and had a certain amount of anonimity, I went to a MAC store and made an appointment for for a makeup lesson. While I was having the lesson, I asked the makeup artist if she had many crossdressers for customers before. Her answer really suprised me. She said that not only was it a common occurance, but that MAC sent many of their employees to classes to learn not only the special needs of CD makeup, but how to treat crossdressers.

It made me realize that much of my fear and apprehenion was unfounded, and I was instantly much more relaxed.

Grace,
Bobbi

Jolene
08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
I have found that most stores are glad to make a sale to anyone. My fear will always be that someone that knows me will come along. My city is not as large as I would like it to be for shopping.
Jolene :)

tamarav
08-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh hun, don't feel bad about it, it happens to virtually all of us. I wasted so much time sitting in the car not even getting out. I couldn't even walk into the mall and out another door. Over and over. Now things have changed. I got older and realized if not now, when?

That did it. I have a real hard time now going home...

Your sis,

Tami

whitelace
08-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi Hun,
next time walk in a give yourself some props for the role.
A list of stuff you've gotta pick up for your SO

Hold your cell to your ear like she's on the other end advising you what to pick out.

When you leave the store you can take a bow

Don't beat yourself up for not going in . you'll get there!
break a leg hun hugs....lacie

Zenith
08-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I have no guts either. Dont feel bad

What your stock in the fridge run low.....?

:bitchslap:

Yes the original post...sure you do, you are admitting something so many people are afraid to and posting full pictures with your face online, that does take guts....you will work up to the rest soon enough...online shopping works pretty well too...

Bev06 GG
08-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Katrina,
So you went down to the mall and you say you have no guts. Those two statements are contradictory. Just to step out of the door takes some guts. If you went on your own I'd say your very brave and well on the way to eventually stepping into the shops.
Take care
Bev

Angela-Russell
08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Don't worry about it Katrina, I think most of us have been in the same situation. Don't know how many times I've been shopping & came home with nothing. You'll get there eventually, & after the 1st time you,ll find it much easier.

Di
08-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Well you drove to the mall
You stood outside the Sephora store for a good 15 minutes!

Two out of three ain't bad.:thumbsup:...don't beat yourself up over it. I love all the encouragement the ladies are giving you esp like what Sharon wrote "The secret to all this? You just have to breathe deep and push yourself -- kinda like diving off the high diving board for the first time. It's scary as hell, but once it's over you wonder what the big deal was."

tracigirl_tv
08-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Katrina, as many of the posts above have said, it's part of the process.

A couple of Halloween's ago, my first night out as Traci, I drove a damned long way to a club (so I wouldn't be recognized *lol*). Once I got there, I sat in the car ANOTHER damned long time trying to screw up the courage to actually put my hand on the doorknob and pull. If I had been closer to home at the time, I'm sure I wouldn't have taken that deep breath and pulled.

I've STILL never mananged to find the courage to do the mall....so I'm totally admiring you. Don't sell yourself short girl. Next stop: makeup counter!

*huggg*

valenstein
08-07-2008, 08:11 AM
If you were really buying things for your GF/SO/sister, etc, do you think you would feel the same?

Funny, I've gone into Victoria's Secret and Macy's and bought bras and things for my gf and I'm sure at least one of the gals thought I was buying for myself, but it didn't faze me a bit. However, buying for myself, I get panicky.

Janet Bern
08-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Just walk in. They will be happy to have you there. Tell them what you are there for and be honest. They will help you and if you happen to run into an asshole SA (could happen) just leave and go to the next place. Janet

Sandra
08-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Don't kick yourself you had the guts to go to the store and stand there, you just needed that little bit extra to go and buy what you wanted, it will come in time and then you'll wonder what all the fuss and nerves were about.

Sara Jessica
08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm a little unclear, was this trip to the mall in guy or girl mode? I'm kind of guessing guy mode but many have interpreted otherwise so I could be wrong.

So I'll address both possibilities. If you were in girl mode, you were soooooo there, part of the makeup club with a legitimate need to shop for product and receive great customer service. You'd be surprised how helpful most girls at makeup establishments can be.

If you were in guy mode, I have found that absolute honesty has worked best for me. Ditch the stories if you are able, just say what you are looking for and that it is for you and once again, most salespeople will be just fine to help you out.

Either way, trans money is still as green as anyone else's. And in today's economy, this couldn't be more true.

CaRenaeTX
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Two Words:

Internet shopping ;) I know how you feel. Personally, unless the wife is there I cannot go into the make-up section and pick up anything.

Tina B.
08-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Like so many of us, I too stood in front of the store, and even when I got up the nerve to go in, I still could not get up to the register. but after many trys I made it! But then the worst thing that I could imagne happened to me, it was to easy to shop for myself, and I fell in to a deep pink fog, when I woke up I was much poorer than when I started, but I have been well dressed every since!
Just once in all the years that i have shopped, and always in drab, I got a dirty look from a middle aged woman clerk, I just smiled at her, laid done my waist cincher and my money, she rang it up, and I ran home to try it on!
keep trying even the standing there trying to get up the nerve, can be a great thrill!!!
Tina B.
You can do it!

Juliemckay
08-07-2008, 08:45 AM
What you may want to try (it worked for me, anyways) is to call the store before you leave the house and simply ask if they are CD friendly. If they say yes (and most will) is to ask meeting with a particular SA (please get the name of the SA). I found that once you have a friendly person to talk to things are much easier

just my :2c:, your milage may differ

kristinacd55
08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Katrina, Same here. I was even with my wife & was afraid to browse around. I saw something in Lane Bryant when we were walking around and had her go back & make a "buy" for me. Felt like it was a drug buy or something! lol

Diane Elizabeth
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
I am in complete awe of you to get that far. I have only managed to go to a thrift store (in drab) and buy a dress or skirt a couple of times (for the wife). Many a times I have looked at the make up in a store wishing I could buy some. Alas I have walked (fast) away a dozen or so times. I finally picked up some eye shadow with an excuse planned. I still get cold feet when shopping. I just have to be in a proper mind set to do it. Baby steps.

Suzy Harrison
08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I've chickened out heaps of times - and even now I can get pretty nervous

CD Susan
08-07-2008, 09:53 AM
I have no problem buying womens clothes or anything feminine. I have been doing this for over 40 years so I overcame any fears of doing this a long time ago. However I only recently started going out dressed en femme and am still a little uncomfortable doing this. I don't know why I still feel this way and wish I could overcome this. When I have done this nothing bad has ever happened and I have enjoyed the experience. I do not understand why I can't rid myself of these apprehentions that continue to haunt me. I think I need the company of another cd on my ventures out to put me more at ease.

Missy
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
what is bad is I work in a mall and I do ot shop there for fear of what they may think
word gose fast in this mall

KateSpade83
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Matrioshka - you look very passable and pretty in drag! Maybe you should try shopping in drag so you can feel "in place." - Unless you have no femme voice!

I got very used to shopping for women's stuff as a guy! That's how you get a "gay" reputation too!

valenstein
08-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Many a times I have looked at the make up in a store wishing I could buy some. Alas I have walked (fast) away a dozen or so times. I finally picked up some eye shadow with an excuse planned. I still get cold feet when shopping. I just have to be in a proper mind set to do it. Baby steps.

Dylen,

This is not the cheapest way, but it works if you really need makeup: Go into a large grocery store, pick out a few things you want and go to the self-checkout register. Yes, sometimes those things foul up and someone has to come over, but the one person there usually has to keep track of all of those registers and couldn't care less as to what you are buying.

Zenith
08-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Dylen,

This is not the cheapest way, but it works if you really need makeup: Go into a large grocery store, pick out a few things you want and go to the self-checkout register. Yes, sometimes those things foul up and someone has to come over, but the one person there usually has to keep track of all of those registers and couldn't care less as to what you are buying.

Geeez yes, my very first makeup buy at self-checkout (lipstick a month or so ago) has a security tag hidden and self checkout didn't have the sensor de-activator...when I went out the door alarms went off...felt like I was caught by the CD police...lol

:cry:

PhillyGuy2Girl
08-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Katrina,
I know how you feel. I'm taking bay steps myself on going out femme. Just last weekend,I ventured out to the bench on the river in NJ and on Monday night,I drove dressed femme the first time which took alot of courage.Just take baby steps and do what you feel comfortable with.

Felicity :)

Nicole Erin
08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Two Words:

Internet shopping ;) I know how you feel. Personally, unless the wife is there I cannot go into the make-up section and pick up anything.

Shopping on the web is the chicken's way out.

I guess going to some Sephora counter with all the little miss hoochie looking snooty sales "B"s would be a bit intimidating, even for an experienced shopper.

So yeah if you got too nervous to shop at Sephora, don't feel bad. The product is very good but the people working at the stores, I would be nervous about buying ANYthing from them anywhere, even car parts.

Samantha B L
08-07-2008, 02:22 PM
I've shopped and bought things hundreds of times. I even tried on a wedding dress once in an all women's shop and walked out of the fitting booth all the way across the floor with the dress on to this GG freind of mine who was sitting by the entrance to ask her if I looked OK. I'll confess that to this day I still feel a little bit nervous when I go into businesses sometimes. If they are near where I live I worry a little about that thing of word spreading fast and if the help in the store is locals which=gossip=being outed to family and relatives and it also sometimes crosses my mind about any Transphobic types who could be close around.

But the one thing you can be sure of is that,as far as I know,ALL of the big shopping mall chain outlets and big Department stores and WAL-MART and Kohl's,T.J.Maxx,Victoria's Secret,etc. will wait on CD's no problem. So despite whatever else, your cash,debit card or check is as good as anybody else's and you can buy whatever you want.

Jessica212
08-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I have absolutely no guts whatsoever! Even today, I was out shopping and didn't have the guts to get anything, even though I saw a bra that I really liked. I've only bought a few female things out in public - the rest is internet shopping!

Karren H
08-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Awwww Sephora's and Ulta are great stores.... I love goin in there and trying different makeups... on... in male mode... The SA's are soooo helpful and could care less i'm the only guy in the store.....

Funny story too... This week while camping, my wife and I were in Target.... and she said "Go over and look at the shoes".. I was looking for hiking boots but some heels in 11's caught my eye... So there I was trying on heels while my wife was on the other side of the store looking for a table cloth... lol

KateSpade83
08-07-2008, 06:10 PM
If you really want good femme stuff store bought stuff is best and sure beats the many dissapointments on mail order / web buys! And when you buy stuff, just feel like it's an everyday normal purchase, because if you're nervous or anxious or very hesitant that's a real giveaway that you're a crossdresser buying for himself! Wear a wedding ring also!

Do you have a good femme voice? If you do shop in drag!

I bought nail polish at Ulta as a guy and no one laughed or said anything bad about me.

Nicki B
08-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Funny, I've gone into Victoria's Secret and Macy's and bought bras and things for my gf and I'm sure at least one of the gals thought I was buying for myself, but it didn't faze me a bit. However, buying for myself, I get panicky.

Exactly.. :) Which says the battle you have to win is with yourself, in your head - not with anyone else?

Joanne Curl
08-07-2008, 07:20 PM
That's the one thing I have a hard time doing too. I've been to restuarants, grocery stores and drug stores but I haven't been able to get up the nerve to go shopping in the mall en femme. I'd love too because I really like buying pretty things for me. I usually do it in drab and never have been questioned.

Joanne

TSchapes
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I went to the mall tonight, and stood in front of the Sephora store for a good 15 minutes trying to gather the courage to go in. I was going to buy some basic makeup stuff, and see what they had for beard cover, but I couldn't do it.

I had a bunch of reasons why I shouldn't, but it comes down to lack of guts. I should have bought something, if just to break the ice.

Saw some nice shoes at Aldo though. Doubt they had them in a size 12.

Kicking myself,

Katrina

I had a wonderful experience at Sephora (Sommerset Mall), they helped me with finding a matching foundation. If you ask they will take you in the back of the store where you're not out in front of everybody. I had other customers walk past me as I was getting foundation and powder put on (in drab) and nobody said anything.

Aldo has shoes in European sizes (at least the one here in Michigan does), for a size 12 that translates to a 45. I think I spotted some there, have not bought from them as I usually buy my size 12's at Payless Shoesource online. They have the cute styles online and not in the stores!

Love, Tracy

matrioshka
08-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't feel as bad now. I can't figure why I froze up.

Sarah Jessica,

I was in guy mode. As good as I look in that photo, I could never pass.

I intend to go back this weekend, maybe I won't be rooted to the spot this time. I suck at cover stories, so I will go for straight up honesty.

Again, thank you for the comments and support. It does make me feel a lot better.

God, I love this place!

M/Katrina

susan2010
08-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Matri:
I can't count how many times I walked around stores trying to get my nerve up. Once you do it though, it really gets easier. A it really is fun after a while. Don't beat yourself up...You'll do it!
susan1974

carolinoakland
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Good going girl, one step at a time. You will do what you are ready for, and only you will know what and when you are ready. And just so you know, most reatailers have figured out how timid we can be in a store, and that if they can get you to feel comfortable and safe that they will have a STEADY customer. And that's worth more to them than 10 gg's browsing. Don't beat yourself up, beginnings are such delicate things. I used to be terrified of stepping out my door, just last month I rode mass transit during pride and we were packed like sardine's. Didn't even bat a mascarra'd eye, or break a sweat. It'll come to you, trust your instincts. Carol

KayleeAllison
08-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I used to be amazingly super scared shopping for myself, but that was before I told (my now) best friend in the world. Ever since she's been my shopping buddy, personal therapist, and all around rock to lean against. She helped encourage me to try stuff on in the store, when she first suggested it I was mortified. Before her encouragement I'd always make up an excuse, like I was shopping for a present for someone, and take something home just hoping it would fit. But now I just call ahead (or she does) and if they say everything is cool, then it's cool, and we go. I almost always just go in boy mode, pick out what I want to try on, and just try them on. Out of a courtesy I just let the salesperson know I'm trying them on myself and if there's any issue if I'm not with the exact same person I spoke with on the phone. Only one time in my life did they say it might not be a good idea, so I went elsewhere, and had my "Pretty Woman" moment when I went back to the store and showed the girl three bags stuffed with clothes. I later called the manager and congratulated them on their obviously massive success. Apparently they were doing so well they could afford to turn away business for no good reason! Lol, he wasn't all that impressed, but I felt good for a few minutes to make up for feeling bad in the actual moment, but honestly, the rejection wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. I was more on my soapbox than embarrassed. :)

Sara Jessica
08-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I was in guy mode. As good as I look in that photo, I could never pass.

I disagree, I think you'd do really well out and about. But that is another decision entirely!

One more thing to consider when it comes to being honest in your shopping endeavors, consider whether you are going to a mall that you frequent often versus one which is a little further away. If going to my "home malls", I pretty much buy what I need quickly and in silence. Elsewhere, I wouldn't hesitate to engage in conversation if approached about what I'm looking for. Then again, I so very much prefer to shop in girl mode but still, I've been right where you are at and understand where you're coming from. Good luck!!! :)

IMJenn
08-09-2008, 09:34 AM
I always get the same feeling of my stomache jumping to my throat and back again. I have never been able to shop alone, and never dressed up. I dated a girl for almost 3 years and she would help me shop, she just never wanted to see me wear them. Which was fine.

Now that I broke up with her about a month ago, Jen has become a larger part of my life, so I may end up trying to solo as you tried.

joann07
08-09-2008, 09:58 AM
That's ok Katrina. It's definitely nerve wracking to go to a place like Sephora, but after you do it you'll realize that there's nothing to be worried or nervous about.
Whether you're in guy or girl mode, the SA's at Sephora with treat you no differently.

When I first went to Sephora, I was in guy mode. I was a bit nervous inside, but I treated it as if I had been there thousands of times.
I was honest, nice, and courteous to the SAs and I asked them a lot of questions. Once I was comfortable, there was nothing to it.
Told them that I dress and wanted to get a foundation that matched my skin tone for a more natural look. The SA found a specific product and tried various shades until she found the right color.

A week later, I went back in femme to thank the SA who helped me.
When she saw me, she said I did a very good job.
Ever since then, I have been shopping there dressed and I've developed a friendship with a one particular SA, MJ.
Recently, me and a GG friend went there and she gave us both makeovers and what a great job she did.
You can read more about it by going to the following link:
Spending time with a close friend (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85447)

Best of luck to you.

Hugs!

matrioshka
08-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Just an update:

I went back tonight. Same drill, different day. Only one problem, I ran into a friend while walking around the mall summoning up my courage. He's standing outside the Pottery Barn waiting for the wife to finish looking around. At least he didn't ask why I was there. I can see that now:

"Brian, why are you here?"

"Well Jim, it's like this. I'm here to buy some makeup. You see, I'm one of those crossdressers you hear about."

Yeah, that would go over well. After about an hour or so, I walked in. That's right, I walked in. I didn't buy anything, but I walked in damn it.

The reason I didn't buy anything is that I was overwhelmed by all of the choices. That, and I was too nerved up to ask an SA anything.

M/Katrina

Sara Jessica
08-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Hence my second post on your thread, are you going to a mall which is close to home? ;) That would have taken me out of the game in an instant!!!

deja true
08-09-2008, 10:13 PM
That was a good step Matrioshka! But lemme tell you the specialist makeup stores, like Sephora, MAC and Ulta will all treat you very well. Makeup is their business. They want to sell it and they want return customers. GGs know, and we soon find out, that good makeup that makes us look good is addictive...and expensive....just ask Karren!

I walked into a MAC store in drab. I went up to a young SA and said, " I'm looking for some makeup for myself, can you help me?" No blinking, no surprised look, no negativity at all. They've seen it all. She took me in tow and we were all over that store. I was just another customer, but in truth, I was a special customer. Because she was amused and pleased to be helping me. She offered great advice ( like go for brown mascara instead of black for daytime wear, like what's a good color lipliner to go with any particular shade of lipstick, like here's a new concealer that works really well on those little eye bags you're getting.)

I happened to have some pictures in my camera of the formal night at Chicago BeAll and we clicked through them all. She loved it and she genuinely liked helping me!

Go introduce yourself. Find one of the young GG SAs and tell her what you want. The younger girls are not so hung up on the antiquated mores of our older generations and in general are more than willing to help us. Take a few of the pics from your fantastic makeover and show her to give her an idea of the look you are going for.

I've heard great things about the Sephora SAs, but never been to one. MAC stores I can highly recommend. After all, one of MACs very first celebrity spokesmodels was RuPaul! They know exactly what we are about. They're first advert campaign for Viva Glam said "All Ages...All Races...All Sexes"

darla_g
08-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I have typically always bought drug store brands for myself. But recently my wife sent me to the dept store for some Clinique. So i had some specific things to pick up and I could freelance a little, but the SA was maybe somewhat surprised that I knew exactly what i wanted and was fairly familiar with the product line. But there was never a problem and if I told her i was going to buy something for myself I don't think she would have been phased.

In fact if you don't want to say its for you then there's your perfect opening. "I was going to pick up some good makeup for my wife, she normally only buys the drug store types. I was interested in finding some assortment of eye shadows for example (MAC store for instance)" This becomes easier if you have a list you made up earlier and an idea of shades and colors going in. Its really easier than you might think.

curse within
08-09-2008, 10:25 PM
me I have no guts at all when it goes to walking outside

darla_g
08-09-2008, 10:29 PM
me I have no guts at all when it goes to walking outside
you mean dressed or just in general (jk)

curse within
08-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Dressed......sorry

SusanLaine
08-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Like many others here, I went through this many times and still do once in a while. I noticed that as I get more experienced, and maybe a bit older, that I care less if I'm read and just act naturally and lady-like and all is fine. In fact, I find that the more confident I feel the less likely it is that anyone notices anything amiss.

I've also noticed that even when shopping not enfemme that the make-up counter ladies and other sales people have, to a person, been very helpful and non judgemental...go figure...:-)

TerriM
08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
I get dressed out about 1x a month. When I do I usually go to a mall a few towns away from me. I have never had a problem. I have gone to the cosmetic counters and had no problems. But lets say I did. What could be the worst that could happen? Maybe the salesperson would laugh or refuse to serve you. Both of those possibilities are something that probally will never happen. The SA are in the business of selling. I remember once a young male sales clerk in a CVS was shocked when I spoke to him. I dont know if it was my voice or if he had read me. You know what , i really didnt care. My advice is go out and enjoy. Life is short.

Yours Terri

Selene
08-10-2008, 04:44 AM
I do this constantly even when I'm nowhere near my home town, even though I know no one probably cares but me.

Raychel
08-10-2008, 07:58 AM
I can't tell you how many times I have seen a beautiful dress hanging on the racks that I would love to have, but have no guts to buy. I just wish I coul dmanange to get over this internal guilt that goes along with crossdressing. Life would be a much happier place. Maybe someday!!

flatlander_48
08-10-2008, 10:26 AM
"I have no guts."

Well that would account for that Hollow Feeling in the middle of the afternoon...

matrioshka
08-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Update part two:

I went back to Sephora, found a SA and started asking questions. We tried a few things, and eventually a light must have clicked on in her head that I dressed. At that point, she started talking about "spackle". They didn't have it, and I was told to go to the MAC counter at Macy's. I got the vibe that this was the default option for dealing with one of "them". She was pleasant enough, but I think I wasn't their ideal customer.

On the other hand, Krista, the MAC SA was very helpful. I must have spent a good two hours there, she just about did a total makeover on my face. I wound up getting what I wanted, and had a heck of a conversation about makeup. She put me totally at ease. No pressure to buy anything, but I did anyway. I learned that they have quite a few men as customers.

It was weird, sitting in public while having makeup done on you. I only saw one person stop and stare. The poor fellow was totally gobsmacked, he just stood there, cell phone in hand.

Now I'm hooked. I'm going to have to find brushes, etc. I got to use a eyelash curler, I never thought I would be doing that...

PS: What is spackle? I think of it as a product used on drywall.

Katrina

Zenith
08-12-2008, 02:16 AM
See...you have guts...

:hugs:

Sara Jessica
08-12-2008, 07:53 AM
PS: What is spackle? I think of it as a product used on drywall.

At least she didn't suggest "bondo" :battingeyelashes:

Congrats on taking this great step!!!

josie_S
08-12-2008, 12:37 PM

oh my god i have the same experience! i've bought things for gfs before like bras and clothes etc but when it's for me, i PANIC...

so i've told myself over and over that I AM buying things for my SO (if you think about it, SO is a correct term) so whatever fear sets in i can project the notion that i am buying for her.

just so happens my SO is a plump size 12 and she wear a 38D bra :D