PDA

View Full Version : Strange compliment

Veronica 1
08-11-2008, 09:30 PM
I work for an agricultural irrigation company and today I had a woman come in that need some advice and parts to hook her small pump up to her piping system. She was a good looking woman and had fantastic Frenched nails but dressed like most farmers wives, jeans and a T-shirt. I listened to her problem and then designed and got the parts that would get her going on her project. As she was paying her bill, she commented to the secretary that she was impressed with the service that I had given her and that I treated her just like a man. This sounded funny to me as I was feeling girly by the time that I had finished dealing with her as she was a very fem woman trying to deal in a mans world and I think that I picked up on this and reacted by trying to be a woman dealing with a woman. I wonder if she picked up on that?

danielle_from_cal
08-11-2008, 09:39 PM
I think that one of the benefits of being a male to female CD is that we tend to have a bit more of an appreciation of women. What you did was treat her like a person, rather than something less. Good for you! And she noticed. If everyone in the world was a CD it would be a better place.

Karren H
08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
I'd say you were bonding with her for sure.... I'm the same way.... Since my discussion aout her wedding dresses, our secretary has been very chatty with me about everything that's going on in her life... Today I had a hard time getting away from here.... she wanted to talk and talk... lol And i have work to do!!! Go figure...

Sandra Dunn
08-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Since you treated her like a person and showed her respect instead of treating her like a bimbo is why she made the comment. The other girls are right, you connected on her level and that made the difference. Not saying her level is lower or higher, just on a different plain.

Niya W
08-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Bottom line , is respect was given to a person that was to being shafted for her gender, for the work she does.

Respect goes a long way.

Its like if you were fully dressed and she treated you just like any other women.

Veronica 1
08-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Bottom line , is respect was given to a person that was to being shafted for her gender, for the work she does.

Respect goes a long way.

Its like if you were fully dressed and she treated you just like any other women.

This is so true. In the course of our conversation she mentioned that the other company that she went to, our competitors, said that they could do the same for her for a bit over $200. The fix I gave to her was $75 with the extras that she bought. I would love to be able to pass and go to the competitors to see how they treated me with a similar problem. I could just see the look on their faces when I spouted prices and design to them afterwards.
It is true that there is a comparison to the fact that she treated me just like another woman, it is six hours after the fact and I am still glowing. God, how I love this hobby.