PDA

View Full Version : questions

snyderarts
08-11-2008, 10:37 PM
For a long time now... since i was like 12 i've wanted to undergo HRT. Long story short i want able to because of my parents being the closed minded people that they are. But not that i'm all moved out and moving along with my life i've really been looking into Hormones again. But i've been thinking. Do i want everything that hormones do? or do i just want a set of boobs of my own? I'm not sure at this point.

So i was wondering if anyone out there was went throu something like this. what did you decide? are you happy about what you chose?

also... i was wondering if its common for people to start HRT and not do Sexual reassignment surgery

Priss
08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
For a long time now... since i was like 12 i've wanted to undergo HRT. Long story short i want able to because of my parents being the closed minded people that they are. But not that i'm all moved out and moving along with my life i've really been looking into Hormones again. But i've been thinking. Do i want everything that hormones do? or do i just want a set of boobs of my own? I'm not sure at this point.

So i was wondering if anyone out there was went throu something like this. what did you decide? are you happy about what you chose?

also... i was wondering if its common for people to start HRT and not do Sexual reassignment surgery

I'd have to say, if you're not sure, then don't start. HRT is a pretty big step, and some of the changes can be permanent. Of course it doesn't happen overnight though... That being said, TSs quite often use RLT and start HRT to find out if this is where they really want to go. It's hard to say just how long one has to be on HRT, before some changes become permanent. I was on for ten years before I went for surgery. By that time, I had boobs, fat distribution, etc... I could still get an erection, however it was not very useful for intercourse. Masturbation was ok...

When I was first putting my feet on the TS road, this was at the very beginning. One evening I was reading a story in one of the scandal rags about a TS who had just gotten someone to fund her transition and surgery etc... I said to myself "I wish I could go do that.", and oddly enough the conscious part of me had the microphones turned on at the time, so I heard it. It was a bit scary, but I heard it. I then had to figure out whether I had the guts to go all the way with it, because if I didn't then I wasn't going to take it beyond where I already was which was crossdressing. My first attempt at HRT, was asking a friend for some of her birth control pills. She turned around and tried to convince me that I didn't really want boobs. She was the one who told me I needed help... Best advice I ever got. :) When I went to see the MD who was writing the prescriptions for me, he told me about the affects and I made the decision then and there that I was willing to take the good with the bad.

On your third question, I went ten years before I got the chance to go for the surgery. There are plenty of people who have gone farther, and don't have surgery at all. Heck, I've known people who have gone on and off and on and off...

And of course when we say that some changes are permanent, well they're as permanent as you're willing to pay for. There have been those rare few who have gone all the way through SRS, and decided later on that they still weren't happy and that maybe they would have been happier the way they were. While one can have more surgeries to go back the other way, it'll never be the same again. This is what the whole process and Benjamin standards are about. The farther you get through the process should reinforce things for you, if it's not then it's time to re-evaluate.

What I would like you to get from this, is that if you're considering all of this, seek professional help. It's not just for the therapy etc... They can look out for you, write those prescriptions, and help you figure this whole mess out.

GypsyKaren
08-13-2008, 05:20 AM
I think Priss has given some good advice for you to consider. Hormones are a serious step, and I think you really need to know what you want before you go out and get it. Take the time to figure things out, and getting some help in order to do that is a good idea. You're young and have plenty of time, I didn't start my transition until I was 53.

Confusion is a normal part of the process for most of us, it took me a long time to get it all figured out. I always wanted SRS while I was doing this because I was always sure of the end result I wanted, I just wasn't sure how to get there. Now that I've finally had it, I'm happier than I ever thought possible, but there are plenty of challenges to be faced yet.

Many who take hormones don't have SRS, I'd have to say that the vast majority don't.

Karen Starlene :star:

deja true
08-13-2008, 05:42 AM
For a long time now... since i was like 12 i've wanted to undergo HRT. Long story short i want able to because of my parents being the closed minded people that they are...

While youthful rebellion is a good thing, especially with closed minded parents, it's really not a good reason to want to transition.

Transition is a serious, irrevocable step. And to go through with it successfully, with a good outcome and a feeling of having done the right thing, takes a calm and rational and mature thought process.

Now that you are out on your own, start thinking of your own life and future without the interference of familial conflicts.

Take Priss' and Karen's advice. A good, caring therapist can help you work through all your side issues and help you make the right decision based on what you determine is actually right for you.

AngharadD
08-13-2008, 09:39 AM
While youthful rebellion is a good thing, especially with closed minded parents, it's really not a good reason to want to transition.

Transition is a serious, irrevocable step. And to go through with it successfully, with a good outcome and a feeling of having done the right thing, takes a calm and rational and mature thought process.

Some people also jump head on and do fine - the key is brutal honesty with yourself, and then you can know where you want to go from knowing yourself...