PDA

View Full Version : Living History

unclejoann
08-14-2008, 09:14 PM
I was talking to a friend today who told me about "Living History". This is where people get obsessed with a particular time and space and try to live it. They dress the part in period clothing and re-enact historical events. You probably have heard of Civil War battles re-enacted, that sort of thing.

It occurred to me that there may not be that much difference between Living History and Crossdressing. They seem really parallel to me.

What do you think?

valenstein
08-15-2008, 08:27 AM
There are times when I felt I was living out a fantasy, and it may be that for some people. I don't know if the mental anguish and guilt is there in Living History, some people do think it's odd, but I don't know of people persecuted for it (I won't assume that's true though).

Stargirl
08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
I know of a couple who live in a 1950's home. They wear the clothing, and have the routine down to the best of their abilities. I admire people who have houses filled with authentic goodies, and sinks, ironing boards, hair dryers, closets filled with old dresses, and suits. That would take a great deal of work, and devotion. Old car shows feature people dressed for the era, and some of them will not accept reproduction clothing any more than they would use a reproduction Nash. Museums feature similar displays. (rooms filled with the era goodies and mannequins dressed like the 1930s, etc.) The Ren Faires, and Pirate gatherings feature not only the clothing, but the language.
I personally know one crossdresser in Hollywood who loves the 1950's. He's Lucy all the way when he can be. If he could dress that way all the time, he would. Many crossdressers like particular eras in style as well. It's so much fun to play dress ups.

http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=197923&format=html

http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=197377&format=html

TommiTN
08-15-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm very partial to the '50s. Women's styles were so much more feminine then. I also liked Ricky Ricardo's suits with the deep lapels, wide shoulders, nipped waist and the folded hanky in the breast pocket. I'm still waiting for fedoras to make a comeback :D.

KATIE TV
08-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I have been involved with living history / re-enactments since 1970 and have done a number of periods 1750s (French Indian wars) Napoleonic I was a 42nd Highlander known as the men in skirts, little did they know about me, Ha Ha, American civil war, and now involved with the Spanish civil war, 15th Internatinal Brigade, I just love the escapism of it all, A lot of my re-enactment friends know Katie and have said things like “It’s just another outfit” & “Who are we to judge dressed like this” Over the years I have found most re-enactors great people and very open minded as they are often looked on as “strange” or “odd” by ordinary people, I must admit I never thought I would be talking about living history on this site, One more thing, nothing causes more upset in the re-enacting world than CROSS DRESSING, that is women dressing as men!! Strange world isn’t it
Love an stuff, Katie

joank
08-15-2008, 10:22 AM
I do Civil War living history and there are women who present as men in some of the units. As long as the uniform is passable and the hair or makeup is not in your face, it is acceptable. After all, it is a reenactment, not the real thing, therefore, 'acting' is acceptable to many of us. And yes, technically it is crossdressing.

PamelaTX
08-15-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm very partial to the '50s. Women's styles were so much more feminine then. I also liked Ricky Ricardo's suits with the deep lapels, wide shoulders, nipped waist and the folded hanky in the breast pocket. I'm still waiting for fedoras to make a comeback :D.

I wear a black fedora when in male mode, and I've gotten quite a few complements. Now if I could just find some nice femme outfits it would go with.

LilSissyStevie
08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
I came across this article last week. One fantasy I have is to be a 50's country housewife. I also like the authentic rockabilly look and the 50's in general.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042702/Time-Warp-Wives-Meet-women-really-live-past.html

Stargirl
08-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I love the article ! I imagine that the ladies do get a lot of flak for sounding like Stepford Wives, but they sound happy. The decor, and clothing are definitely a treat. A mans home is his castle. A woman should also be allowed to prance about in her sanctuary. I would love that. Lady of the house. (even if it's an old retro RV) It's better than sitting in traffic with 4 screaming kids in the back of a SUV, and feeling worn out. We humans are supposed to take care of ourselves, but this modern life seems to demand way too much at times, as we try to keep up with the "Jonses". I will share the link with all of my special friends.

Tip or Ozma
08-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I have been participating in Civil War and War of 1812 historical interpretation since the late 1970s. Within the re-enacting community there factions who debate historical accuaracy and role-payning on forums such as this, in perioticals and around the campfire. The similarites in attitudes are striking. I wish that I could share the tales of crossdressing with my reeacting friends. Curiously, one who does both a Union and Confererate impression is labeled as a "crossdresser" in reenacting jargon.

Vintage4sarah
08-18-2008, 06:03 AM
I have been participating in Civil War and War of 1812 historical interpretation since the late 1970s. Within the re-enacting community there factions who debate historical accuaracy and role-payning on forums such as this, in perioticals and around the campfire. The similarites in attitudes are striking. I wish that I could share the tales of crossdressing with my reeacting friends. Curiously, one who does both a Union and Confererate impression is labeled as a "crossdresser" in reenacting jargon.

I find a lot of similarities with your views and mine. I have been doing living history for 30 years now and I love the chance to not only research history and lifestyles, but also the chance to live out times past. Presently in my male self, I do 20th Century eras like WW II and the Great War. At home as Sarah, she takes on several eras from my collection of vintage clothes and items.

Also like you, I just wish that I could share my "tales of crossdressing" with friends, but I think that it will never happen :( !