PDA

View Full Version : How to confuse hospital staff!

Wolfie
08-18-2008, 01:16 PM
In the last week I have had to two appointments at the local x-ray department for two different types of x-rays. (Abdo Ultra scan - to find my gallstones (yepee I have one:Angry3: ) and today for a barium meal (chronic heartburn - for 22 years (childbirth can do that to you!). When I go the letter for the appointment it wa in my female name, since then my name has changed offically by the PCT so when I check in I have to say actuaully on the system I'm Mr Ben ****** etc. So far so good - Only a slight confused by receptionist but as the hospital has had a ecent IT system change they are use to some glitches.
So after a 'Please follow me Ben and lie on the bed' (For the Ultra Scan "now just lift your shirt up sir, just a bit further, no a bit more" A very loud silence as both nurse and Radiographer see my bra (well u try wearing a chest binder when u having a ultrascan! Some double checking of notes and name, more confused looks and then a complete absence of any gender reference for the rest of the scan. :devil:
So next todays Baruim meal. Again receptionsit looked a little confused but just asked me to sit and wait till I was called (referring to me as Mr) Nurse calls me and chats to me as male, asks me to remove shirt and put on the oh so sexy hospital gown...Taken into a room where there is one male radiographer and 5 female nurses. All well, Please sit here sir, stand here sir, drink this please Ben, Swallow. Then again a loud silence - how come some silences are so loud they ring in your ears? So all these people are looking at the machines image, Then Relax please, the machine will tip you back so you lay flat.. silence now getting louder.. 'Er, madam could you just...' Damm they spotted my chest on the machine haven't they :Angry3:

I Leave the room so fast after the test has finished they didn't even get chance to give me the aftercare advice! :brolleyes:

I wish I knew how best to approach those situations - any ideas?
So confusing hospital staff is something i'm getting real good at. Never mind shop assistants, bar staff, waiting staff etc.

CaptLex
08-18-2008, 02:14 PM
I wish I knew how best to approach those situations - any ideas?
So confusing hospital staff is something i'm getting real good at. Never mind shop assistants, bar staff, waiting staff etc.
I'd say be honest and explain only as much as you need to up front 'cause they're probably not trained in how to act in these situations and are wondering what to say and/or do. You could say something about being transgender and in the process of transitioning. Also that your name is Ben and you prefer male pronouns. That way you've told them how to talk to you and probably put them at ease in a potentially awkward and confusing situation.

I don't know what an Ultra Scan is and I'm wondering if it's comparable to our CT scan or MRI . . . :idontknow: Anyway, I had a CT scan done a few months ago with the binder on and the radiologist just knew not to ask me to pull the shirt up any higher (good man :thumbsup:). Also, the doctor was a young woman who didn't blink an eye when she asked about any surgeries and medications and I told her I'd had a hysterectomy and took T (she continued using male pronouns with me).

Seems like these people were properly trained or have seen trans people before, but many medical personnel aren't and are unsure what to do, so I think it's up to us to give 'em some pointers and I think they'd appreciate that :) - unless they're jerks, and there are plenty of those even in the medical profession, unfortunately.

John
08-18-2008, 02:33 PM
I'd go with what Lex says, usually they've got NO idear what to do, so just a little guidence could help.

also:
ultra scan done with ultrasonick sound
mri with magnetic fields,
cts with x-rays.

Look at me with the science., such a geek:o

CaptLex
08-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Look at me with the science., such a geek:o

Thanks, John :koc: . . . so an Ultra Scan is what we call an ultrasound. :thumbsup: