PDA

View Full Version : "You throw like a girl"

windycissy
08-22-2008, 01:22 AM
How many of us heard that when we were growing up? I sure did, until a kindly coach taught me how to throw a baseball...it all came back to me yesterday when I was laying out in my skirtini at a hotel pool, some guys were tossing a ball around in the water, I paid them no mind until I heard them calling, "Miss!" I looked down and there was their ball, right beside my loungechair! So I picked it up and was about to toss it back to them when some instinct saved me, and I reverted to the girlish throwing style from way back when...funny how those old, painful memories come back, in this case I was glad they did!

emmicd
08-22-2008, 01:31 AM
I always felt like a girl inside but I was gifted as a young boy in that I was athletic and yes I could throw a baseball hard, fast and pretty accurate!

So that saying never applied to me!

I always threw like a boy!

I love baseball!

emmi

Dragonfly
08-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Ive always hated sports, and yes I throw like a girl :D Even my sister keeps saying it to me whenever I fail HARD to throw something to/at her.

Whenever I play airsoft (battle simulation), I never use grenades at all...I am more dangerous to my own team than the opposition. If theres the merest chance that I could misjudge it, it roll along a girder, hit a support beam, flick back and land down the back of my shirt - you can guarantee that thats just what it'll do :p

Michelly
08-22-2008, 02:38 AM
I remember that saying in the movie" The Sand Lot":tongueout

trannie T
08-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Although I did not throw like a girl I still could never throw very well, or hit the ball with a bat, or dribble, or shoot a basket, or putt. My athletic abilities were very amusing to the other guys in my pe classes.

Joan Merrie
08-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Yes, I remember it well. Always the last to be picked for a team. But if they had target shooting in school, then I would have excelled in gym class.:hugs:

Alaceann
08-22-2008, 06:37 AM
I was never told I throw like a girl, but I was told that I walk like a girl:o
I was so embarassed and had to try and walk manly. Now when I dress up I can do the walk.:heehee:

Stormgirl
08-22-2008, 06:45 AM
I might throw like a girl but at least I can shoot 500 yards down range and hit the target dead on. How many coaches you know that can do that?

erickka
08-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Cissy, I too sucked at sports, and heard that a lot when I was in school. Now I'm with you on the painful memory thing, but it still can come in handy, like it did in your case.

windycissy
08-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Reading all the comments reminds me of something else, I am blessed with very long eyelashes and when I was little, friends of my mom were always saying, "what a shame they were wasted on a boy, you should have been a girl!" The power of suggestion?

baby beluga
08-22-2008, 08:31 AM
My senior year in high school I was on one of the top racquetball teams in the nation. Also in elementary and middle school I attended a few basketball camps run by NBA players and coaches.

No athleticism difficulties here :)

Angie G
08-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Well at least you know how to throw like a girl. It kept you from getting outed hun.:hugs:
Angie

PamelaTX
08-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I feel your pain ladies! I've never been able to throw worth anything. This reminds me of the one and only time in the army that they let me throw a live grenade. It had a killing radius of 35 meters and a 4 second fuse. I pulled the pin and threw it as hard as I could. It bounced out about 10 feet or so. The sergeant grabbed me and pulled me down behind the concrete wall. The grenade went kaboom and this huge cloud of rocks and dirt started falling all around us. The only thing the sergeant could say was "Damn! Damn!" They never let me throw another one.

KateSpade83
08-22-2008, 09:37 AM
I was good at sports. Little League baseball designated hitter, 6 to 8th grade Basketball team starter, bmx freestyler in HS.

Jocelyn Renee
08-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I've always been very athletic; football is a particular favorite. Ironically, most of the girls I know don't "throw like girls" either. I guess hanging out in lesbian bars will do that. ;-)

Alan
08-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I've always been very athletic; football is a particular favorite. Ironically, most of the girls I know don't "throw like girls" either. I guess hanging out in lesbian bars will do that. ;-)

None of the girls I hang out with throw like girls, either. I think the really ditzy ones tend to 'throw like girls' -- you know, the ones afraid of breaking a nail. :idontknow:

shannonsilk
08-22-2008, 10:55 AM
I was not very athletic either. For one thing I was always the smallest boy in the class. For another, I never had any one really show me how to throw or hit.

Sarah...
08-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Ha! This brings back memories. I went to school in Scotland but we played baseball in PE regularly. While I was ALWAYS roundly condemned for my lack of ability in throwing a ball (because I was - and am - atrocious in that department) I was the only one who regularly hit the ball out of the park.

Good times!!

Sarah...

marie354
08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I was never good at sports. I liked roller-skating & track, but that was it. I too have been called a few choice names in my past.

Empress Lainie
08-22-2008, 04:08 PM
:2c:I always threw like a girl (why shouldn't I unknown to me at the time I was a girl!).

When I was 14 and 15 and 16, I started my own baseball teams in the city and salvation army leagues. One team was in the 17 and under leagues so I had older kids playing for me.

I knew I sucked, so I always played right field where I couldn't screw up as much. I loved to pitch but if I had every pitch wuld have been a homerun for the other team.

But I had lots of fun doing it even though in most leagues we finished last.

That's the only sport I have ever been fanatical about except for bowling.
Go Houston Buffs (Long gone now!)

Pandora
08-22-2008, 04:50 PM
How many can throw like this girl? Very interesting stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_de3HJvO-N8&feature=related

yms
08-22-2008, 05:01 PM
I'll second this one. Nothing beats standing on infinite green grass under a cloudless sky waiting for that little white ball to come your way. It was what I lived for.

I always felt like a girl inside but I was gifted as a young boy in that I was athletic and yes I could throw a baseball hard, fast and pretty accurate!

So that saying never applied to me!

I always threw like a boy!

I love baseball!

emmi

susan fuller
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
I played most sports fairly well but I had tow of my kids (boy and girl) that played T-ball. When it came time for the draft the next year my girl who was younger was picked first. I thought that was kinda funny since my boy ended up # 1 on the high school football team a few years later. Some girls are just more athletic.

Nicole Erin
08-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, I remember it well. Always the last to be picked for a team.

I sometimes didn't even get picked for a team. I would try to stand on the sidelines until the dumb coach told me to get in there.

Yeah I always heard about how I run like a girl or throw like one.
I just never got the hang of proper throwing technique.

Pamela Julie
08-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I never threw a ball like a girl, but then I never threw a ball like a boy either. I just never threw well at all. My niece has told me that I walk like my mother, a complement. My mother was a very fast walker that could get through a crowd without having to shove people out of the way, or pissing others off. I am fortunate to have inherited that from her. I do have a feminine walk, without the swishy hip swing, that has come naturally to me.

Pamela:)

bah-bah-bobbie
08-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Reading all the comments reminds me of something else, I am blessed with very long eyelashes and when I was little, friends of my mom were always saying, "what a shame they were wasted on a boy, you should have been a girl!" The power of suggestion?

I had naturally shiny red lips and was often asked if I'm wearing lipstick untill I was in high school.

DemonicDaughter
08-22-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm actually curious, what exactly is throwing like a girl? I mean, I grew up with four brothers and was always quite athletic. I've always heard the term but really never knew what they meant by it. I've never been told this though I never played any ball sports other than volleyball. Hockey was my thing.

So what does it mean to throw like a girl?

kristinacd55
08-22-2008, 10:18 PM
I was playing catch with my daughter some years back and a neighbor woman said "You throw like a girl". I said thank you very much! I take that as a complement.

suzy
08-22-2008, 10:24 PM
I never gave ball throwing a second thought! Thanks! Now I will remember what you went through. You are brave to be laying out in a tankini at a hotel pool too!

I hope have the where-with-all to remember and toss the ball back girlish style.......:D

KarenCDFL
08-22-2008, 10:29 PM
WOW!

Your post brings back so many childhood memories.

I hated sports but then again I had a college reading level at 8 years old. And I was secretly already dressing up.

All of the others kids (I am not going to say friends cause they were not) picked on me cause they had nothing better to do.

windycissy
08-22-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm actually curious, what exactly is throwing like a girl? I mean, I grew up with four brothers and was always quite athletic. I've always heard the term but really never knew what they meant by it. I've never been told this though I never played any ball sports other than volleyball. Hockey was my thing.

So what does it mean to throw like a girl?

Instead of putting your body behind it, like a guy, you sorta stand there and flick it from your elbow, like a girl...

Nicole1
08-22-2008, 10:57 PM
I feel your pain ladies! I've never been able to throw worth anything. This reminds me of the one and only time in the army that they let me throw a live grenade. It had a killing radius of 35 meters and a 4 second fuse. I pulled the pin and threw it as hard as I could. It bounced out about 10 feet or so. The sergeant grabbed me and pulled me down behind the concrete wall. The grenade went kaboom and this huge cloud of rocks and dirt started falling all around us. The only thing the sergeant could say was "Damn! Damn!" They never let me throw another one.

Pamela: was this in the Air Force in about Sept of 1971? That same thing happened to our recruit training group and it scared the heck out of all of us! Maybe that was you! lol:devil:

Hugs, Nicole:hugs:

windycissy
08-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I never gave ball throwing a second thought! Thanks! Now I will remember what you went through. You are brave to be laying out in a tankini at a hotel pool too!

I hope have the where-with-all to remember and toss the ball back girlish style.......:D

It was sheer instinct for self-preservation. I don't know whether I'm brave or crazy, here's how I look in my skirtini:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2274/2504844148_72ee9ddcec_m.jpg

Laurie909
08-23-2008, 02:45 AM
Not only did I "throw like a girl"...I "caught like a girl"...namely when I saw the ball coming at me, I'd try not to get hit!

Edwina
08-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Not only did I "throw like a girl"...I "caught like a girl"...namely when I saw the ball coming at me, I'd try not to get hit!

Me too :D Those were the days. Not!
I was also last to be picked for Soccer and if there were more players than required I took up my regular position .... Left back, holding the jackets. :D

:love:

Edwina

Karen_Ski
08-23-2008, 04:02 AM
It's funny I learned how to throw from my aunt. She played softball on several teams when she was younger and doesn't throw like a girl at all nor do I. Not even sure I would know how to do it. I was never the biggest kid nor particularly athletically gifted as far as grace or style were concerned but I knew how to play sports and was always active in them, played softball until I broke my ankle doing it, still hurts when I am in heels too long or it is a damp day. My passion always was and still is golf. I have played en femme and believe me girls it is a lot different swinging around a set of boobs! Now I know why they have the red tees!

Amanda Nicole
08-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Ah, yes, the memories! I, too, hated sports as a kid.

Dad wasn't at all sports oriented, and was always at work or on the road, so I never learned "how to" from him. At school, nobody would teach me...nor did they want me on their team - I was always last to be picked. One time a team forfeited the right for the first pick...the "other" team was initially thrilled to put the star on their team. But I had counted ahead, and as expected, like the star, I also ended up on that team. They sure got skunked on that deal. And the teacher decided "no more forfeits."

Throwing- like a girl, or otherwise - wasn't my strong point, but then, I couldn't hit or catch either. (Still can't, but nowadays, if I have to throw something, it's "like a girl.")

In elementary school, our son played softball and soccer, but by high school, he gave up and went into the Band rather than try out for any teams. So the sports jinx must have carried forward...though from Band he learned to tolerate watching football and baseball, even if he doesn't participate.

As for me, things haven't changed...today, sports are not even a blip on my radar screen!

Jessica212
08-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Almsot everyone, male or female, throws like a girl when first starting to throw a baseball. It really has little to do with gender, and more to do with inexperience. Throwing a baseball is a very unnatural motion and because of that, the correct way to throw a baseball doesn't come naturally to virtually anyone unless they were being taught how to throw from an extremely young age. The more natural way to throw a ball is to "throw it like a girl," which is why most inexperienced people throw it that way. The reason why people say it is throwing like a girl is because girls generally don't have much experience throwing a baseball and do it that way throughout their entire lives (it's also harder to throw a ball properly with the female chest and with a softball, both of which contribute to the "throwing like a girl" phrase, but most females who play softball or even baseball know how to throw a ball properly).

Really, just because someone threw like a girl when they were young has nothing to do with their gender or the fact that they're more feminine than most guys, it's just inexperience, and the fact that throwing is an unnatural motion (ask any pitcher - I was a pitcher growing up, and I could still feel pain in my arm sometimes from repeated use when I was younger, and that's just from pitching from when I was 7 to when I was about 14 or 15).

PamelaTX
08-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Pamela: was this in the Air Force in about Sept of 1971? That same thing happened to our recruit training group and it scared the heck out of all of us! Maybe that was you! lol:devil:

Hugs, Nicole:hugs:

No, it was Army, Dec 1969. Close, but a different kaboom! :)

Empress Lainie
08-23-2008, 12:07 PM
girls throw with the wrist, boys properly throw with their arm, I never could do it.

cissy I had the same comments about my eyelashes too, and people used to tell my mom until I was 4 what a pretty little girl she had.

DemonicDaughter
08-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Instead of putting your body behind it, like a guy, you sorta stand there and flick it from your elbow, like a girl...

Okay... then I don't throw like a girl. lol

Toni_Lynn
08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh how I hated gym class in high school/ jr hi. I wanted to be in gym with the girls where they seemed to play for fun. The boys played for blood it seemed.

Be that as it may, I am remined of a picnic I went to when I was in Transpitt. We played softball, and the greatest compliment that day was -- you throw like a girl!

Hmmmm -- though come to think of it -- I'd love to throw like a tomboy! :daydreaming:

Huggles

Toni-Lynn

Raychel
08-24-2008, 09:56 AM
I never was any good at all in sports. And now that I am getting older and my body hurts more I am even worse. Throw like a girl, run like a girl, and just about evertything else.

windycissy
08-24-2008, 05:00 PM
I was a late bloomer in sports, but I got pretty good by the time I was in high school...now I have to remind myself to "girl it up" when I play sports as a chick, although it's hard to act like a guy when you're wearing a sports bra:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d605b3127ccec4a487b60ccc00000080O08IatWLlw0aA9 vPgw/cC/

pantyhoselover
08-24-2008, 07:08 PM

I also have long eyelashes. I remember my friend's sister telling me something similar. Funny how things work out.

MJ
08-24-2008, 07:11 PM
ha ha yes and i run like a girl too .. i so suck at sports

Tracii G
08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
I tend to walk like a girl always have.My brothers all walked with a clomping motion I used to get made fun of a lot because of it.