PDA

View Full Version : Shaved arms?

Tal'Aura
08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Okay, I heard a lot of excuses for shaved legs, but what about shaved arms? I can just imagine what will say my mother: "Oh, what happened to your arm hair? How you could do that, what were you thinking?! Are you gay?!"... This could lead to a possible disaster (read: labeling, ultimatums, etc. etc.) if I won't have serious and non-transparent excuse... Is there any workaround for this, except long sleeves?

gagirl1
08-26-2008, 03:06 PM
nobody really pays attention to it unless you had really dark hair before you shaved them. you could always just tell people 'i got tired of having hairy arms.' it's a half truth, but at least it's not a total lie and it shows that you are comfortable with it.

valenstein
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
My arm hair is light in color, even though it's a bit hairy, it's the one thing I gave up shaving. I had to do it every day, and it was scratchy, just not worth it. I know plenty of GG's with hairier arms than me, but that's just me. Nobody questioned me when I did, though.

DonnaT
08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
How about a response like: I saw a number of different athletes in various sporting activities that had all their body hair removed, and wondered how it would feel. And you know what. I like it! I feel much cleaner and cooler this way.

Sarah...
08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Oh, I just got fed up with thinking of what excuses I might make and, after consulting with my SO, shaved the stuff off. I think I'll let it grow a bit, epilate it and then let it grow back fine so it looks a lot more natural.

Sarah...

TommiTN
08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
You could try trimming/thinning it gradually over a few weeks time, a small amount at each trimming. An electric beard trimmer with an adjustable guard works well for this. Take off a small amount, then wait and see if anyone notices. If not, let them get used to it, then trim a little more successively until you get it to where you want it.

Natalia
08-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I had a massive flare up - twice!

Scorched it all off - along with my eyebrows!

(this actuallly happened - looked like Hiroshima in my yard!)

Sandra Dunn
08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes there is. Don't shave, instead use hair clippers and thin out the hair. I use my wives dog clippers, similar to barber clippers, and I go with the hair not against it. Sometimes I'll angle the clippers up a little so they won't cut as much. You'll notice a lot of gg's have some hair on their forearms. On the other prts of your body thats not seen go against the hair for a really close cut and it'll be easier to shave those areas. DO NOT try the pits or get to close to your hmhm. You nick very easy in those areas.
HUGS Sandra

wishonastar
08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I thought it would take a while to grow back to its length. It did not it took about a month and I swear it is longer!

Waxing is better it pulls the hairs out and I understand they do not grow back the same way. Shaving only makes the hair grow back thicker and longer.

I am blonde and the hair on my arms or legs is very thick or much of it. My wife did not even notice.

Annaliese
08-26-2008, 04:55 PM
I have had my arms shaved for years and no one has said anything, My sister said something about my legs but my dad told her to leave me alone that was a swich it was us boys that always got in troble for teaseing her. That was last year I was 54 and she was 51.

harmony
08-26-2008, 05:17 PM
STOP!!STOP!!or we will shoot!
ARMHAIR CONTROL!!
raise your arms!!
aha!!no armhair!!what have we got here?is this natural or has he shaved?looks like there is a little bit of a stubble?
CONFESS!!
YOU WILL WEAR THIS SIGN AROUND YOUR NECK:i am an armhair shaver!

seriously=there is no-one around checking armhair!!!!

Nicki B
08-26-2008, 05:21 PM
My arms have been hairless for the last 8 yrs - no one has ever made a comment..

lisa_e_love
08-26-2008, 05:22 PM
People might notice if you shave your arm hair.

But remember that SO MANY GGs do not shave their arm hair. In fact, a lot of them make snippy little comments about girls who do shave their arm hair.

In short, as long as you don't have ULTRA-thick arm hair you're probably OK leaving it unshaven or lightly trimmed.

jenalex
08-26-2008, 05:39 PM
nobody really pays attention to it unless you had really dark hair before you shaved them.

that's my experience :thumbsup:

as well as some serious regrowth itch before you get used to it

PamelaTX
08-26-2008, 06:23 PM
seriously=there is no-one around checking armhair!!!!

I sorta suspected that! :)

I once worked with a guy who walked around all day with a sock stuck to the back of his shirt. Nobody mentioned it to him because it just didn't seem important at the time. :)

Phyliss
08-26-2008, 06:30 PM
I kept my arms hairless for the last year, and not one word from anybody, except once to make a comment about my veins being a bit large that day. Had been working out rather hard that morning. Where I work part time now, ( I get to wear a cute ORANGE apron ) it's pretty much a Macho place and not a single thing has been said.

MattiQ
08-26-2008, 06:38 PM
My largest concern would be that shaving my arms could make the hair come in thicker if I ever stopped. It sounds like a double edged sword.

Jolene
08-26-2008, 06:39 PM
After much thought much like you expressed in your thread I finally did it and shaved my arms about a month ago. Wish I had done it years ago. They feel so nice and smooth and no one seems to have noticed.
Use the excuse that your skin is dry and loton is easier to apply. I gave that excuse to my mother when she commented on my freshly shaved legs. :)
Jolene

My largest concern would be that shaving my arms could make the hair come in thicker if I ever stopped. It sounds like a double edged sword.

I have been told that will never happen Matti. The reason I was told is when the hair starts to grow back it seems as if it will be thicker because of the stubble. We will never end up with more hair than we started with.
Just a thought.
Jolene :)

sterling12
08-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I'll second Tammi and Sandra. If they sell the equivalent in Croatia, just get a cheap set of electric clippers and thin the hair on your arm. You can then go as far as you like as people get used to seeing your arms with less hair. It's human nature, we notice what is new and different, things that have become familiar or with little change, the human mind just treats it like "background music."

Also have to emphasize something that Sandra alluded to. DO NOT use those electric clippers around your who-who, and especially that area that hangs under The Who-Who! I made that bad mistake, figuring that it was a quick and easy way to thin out "other areas" too.

With electric clippers, in addition to cutting there is also a pulling action back and forth. Nature has given "that" area of your body a great many nerve endings! It was probably a genetic mutation that made the area sensitive, so that you would enjoy procreation, and so that you would "protect" things down there. (also a benefit for ensuring species survival) Anyway, you won't notice much on your arms, but when you clip down in that area it seems that every individual hair is getting yanked out! Your not going to like it!

We are throwing in this bonus information to serve as a warning for everyone! (Done my good deed for the day.)

Peace and Love, Joanie

Deedee_tv
08-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Phillips/Norelco makes a men's body groomer which is for sale at every WalMart and Target store. It is designed to shave arms, legs, chest, privates, whatever...

About the time this kind of product is mainstream at Wal Mart, I don't really think you need an excuse for your neighbors.

I have shaved my body for years, it is a personal choice and I do not require any "excuse" for it.

http://www.shaveeverywhere.com/

Deedee_tv

PamelaTX
08-26-2008, 07:09 PM
I have been told that will never happen Matti. The reason I was told is when the hair starts to grow back it seems as if it will be thicker because of the stubble. We will never end up with more hair than we started with.

Too bad! If it worked that way I'd definitely start shaving my head!

insearchofme
08-26-2008, 08:37 PM
I wax my arms and it is correct that the hair grows back differently.
The hair shaft it's self is thinner, more fine than the coarse arm hair I used to have. The hair on my arm grows back faster than any other body part and after 6-7 weeks I could wax it again. It takes about 4 weeks until it's really noticable.

A few people have asked my why and all I say is that I like it smooth. Tough s@#%, if they don't like it.

suspender
08-26-2008, 08:45 PM
I have had mine bare for over 12 months. Not so much a word, but an occasional look in short sleaves. Paint one small finger nail though.........

jennifer41356
08-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Okay, I heard a lot of excuses for shaved legs, but what about shaved arms? I can just imagine what will say my mother: "Oh, what happened to your arm hair? How you could do that, what were you thinking?! Are you gay?!"... This could lead to a possible disaster (read: labeling, ultimatums, etc. etc.) if I won't have serious and non-transparent excuse... Is there any workaround for this, except long sleeves?

I told my Mom I hated all that hair and I felt cooler with em shaved, especially in this Texas heat:censor::love:

justmetoo
08-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Too bad! If it worked that way I'd definitely start shaving my head!

Maybe if you waxed your head?... :tongueout
Just kidding :heehee:

I know what you mean, though (my hair is long, but thinning a bit on top)...:sad:

Melinda G
08-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Women have hair on their arms. It's just finer, and not all curly like mens. I've never seena woman with shaved arms. Take a scissors, and just shorten it up, leaving it shorter, and finer, and no one will notice. People notice smooth shaved arms, but if there is some hair there, no one will notice, and they can't say it's shaved.

sherri
08-26-2008, 09:38 PM
How about a response like: I saw a number of different athletes in various sporting activities that had all their body hair removed, and wondered how it would feel. And you know what. I like it! I feel much cleaner and cooler this way.That is an excellent response, and the one I'm using from now on. Thanks Donna.

Caitlintgsd
08-26-2008, 09:48 PM
When my arm hair bothers me (mine grows real slowly) I just trim it real short with an electric trimmer. Then I bleach it (no, not that kind of bleach) with a bleach made for hair. I get it from a chain called Sally's Beauty Supply that we have here.

Patricia Johnson
08-27-2008, 03:40 AM
I keep it very simple. If I am asked I respond with," because I like it."

Amy Hepker
08-27-2008, 04:05 AM
I shave mine all the time now, nobody but by GGLady noticed.

victoriamwilliams1
08-27-2008, 08:30 AM

I thought I was alone in that one:) I did not lose I eyebrows and it did not look like Hiroshima. I loved it I shaved all my little bit of hair off my arms.

For the most part people do not pay attention to other people unless you are dressed differently ie a Formal Dress at 9 am on Tuesday morning. I think we pay more attention to people than other people.

Bernadina
08-27-2008, 09:03 AM
My arms have been hairless for the last 8 yrs - no one has ever made a comment..

Ditto.

Bootsiegalore
08-27-2008, 02:21 PM
No one questions me. I do find that it is easier to apply sunscreen to a bare arm (here in AZ) rather than a hairy gorilla arm.

Tara.

StayceeCD
08-27-2008, 02:36 PM
I trim it down and bleach it.. In the summer spend alot of time in the pool that helps bleach it as well!

Atanna
08-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I used to have really hairy arms before I did laser, but I remember how nervous I was when I first shaved them thinking that everyone was gonna start asking me about it. It's been over a year now and not once has any coworker or friend (that doesn't know my private life) asked me about it.

Most people (especially guys) just don't pay attention to that kind of stuff or don't care enough to mention it.

Joanne Curl
08-27-2008, 06:23 PM
I shave my arms (and all my body hair) during the winter. During the summer when I'm wearing shorts and short sleeves I have normal male hair. I can't wait for winter!:battingeyelashes:

Joanne

susanmichelle
08-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I shave my whole body and have been for over 6 years and no one has ever said a word. I did however have one comment about 10 years ago when I was using a torch and singed about half and people asked i guess cause half was there and half gone but with it all gone like i said never had a question or remark about it.

Veronica 1
08-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Go ahead and shave them, I have done so for the past few months and only had one comment. Just do it and do not worry about what the world thinks, it is your body after all.

Rachel Morley
08-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I have really light colored hair but I still used to shave it real close with an electric clipper on number 1. Then one day in the shower I shaved it all off (this was when I first started dressing several years ago). My wife didn't like it that much back then, not because of me being more feminine, but because she thought I looked a little strange with no hair at all there. She said most women have some arm hair. So I went back to clippering it. Fast foreword 2 years ....

Then in January of this year we went to the TGSF Cotillion TG Ball in San Fransisco and I shaved everywhere as I was wearing a "strappy dress" I didn't tell my wife, yet she said nothing. After about 3 months of keeping my arms shaved, one night in the car going to a monthly TG social my wife said "how long have you been shaving your arms?" ... I said "since the beginning of the year". "Really?" she said, "I never noticed". I now shave all my body all the time.

My point is, that even people who know you really well don't always notice. Unless you have a lot of dark hair and you shave it all off, probably no one will say anything.

Bernadina
08-27-2008, 09:14 PM
I shave my arms (and all my body hair) during the winter. During the summer when I'm wearing shorts and short sleeves I have normal male hair. I can't wait for winter!:battingeyelashes:

Joanne

I'm the opposite. I wouldn't be caught dead in shorts and short sleeves with hairy arms and legs. Keep em shaved all year round.

Rashell StClaire
08-30-2008, 06:40 AM
My arms and legs are always shaved have been for 12 months. I know people notice but only once has someone(a male) asked about my arms. I replied that the hair causes a skin condition(I get infected ingrown hairs) to be much worse. He just accepted that and that was it.
People comment on my legs but thats because they are so white not that there is no hair. Only once has someone commented on my shaved legs and his words were "I am a cyclist so I shave my legs why do you" I replied that my legs look better in heels, he laughed and moved on. We were both drunk at the time though.

If someone comments on it in a nasty way(if it's a male) just put it back on them by asking why they are looking do they find it attractive. Most men will leave it alone after that.

bobbie_1048
08-30-2008, 09:19 AM
After much thought much like you expressed in your thread I finally did it and shaved my arms about a month ago. Wish I had done it years ago. They feel so nice and smooth and no one seems to have noticed.
Use the excuse that your skin is dry and loton is easier to apply. I gave that excuse to my mother when she commented on my freshly shaved legs. :)
Jolene

This works for me. I work outside and it is soooo much easier to put lotion on. Whether it's sunscreen or just my moistureizer. Wish I had started taking better care of my skin a long time ago, but it is getting better. :)

Lauren1973
08-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Ok I have a pretty manly job in outside sales for industrial supply.Those guys will rag you for anything! I shave evrything. I have worn shorts in front of just about everyone and not once has anyone said one thing about it.

Just my 2 cents

Lauren

jennifer ann
08-30-2008, 03:48 PM
I have been shaving my arms for about 3 years now and no one has said anything at all even at my new place of employment.

marie354
08-30-2008, 04:38 PM
I shave mine every couple of days for the last 2-years and on-one has ever even given the odd look. (Yet.)

Anna the Dub
08-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Just one of the many myriad wonderful benefits of being on hormones is that eventually your body hair disappears. I used to be as hairy as Robin Williams, but most of my body hair is gone now. Lower legs, forearms and a tiny little bit in the middle of my chest is all that I have now. I would say that I have less leg hair than a lot of GGs. Anyway I use an epilator on the troublesome spots. Nifty little machine, but I am convinced that it was invented by a man (only a man could come up with the idea of ripping the hairs out with a little machine, as he would never have to use it). Removing all the hair from your arms does make them really silky smooth, and very sensitive to touch. I love them like that.

JaydeCD
08-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Think about it, do you walk around looking at people's arm hair or lack of? I didn't think so, as don't most people. Nobody is going to notice and if they do, what's really the big deal? It's only arm hair.

maid phylis
08-30-2008, 07:46 PM
when i started shaving my arms my wife got really angry,so i told her that it made me feel better and i was tired of ugly hairy arms,so that was that and i have had my arms shaved going on 5 years,:love:phylisanne

MJ
08-30-2008, 08:24 PM
before i went full time the only person who noticed was my doctor because i also shave my arm pits .. that and the fact that the sun's UV radiation did not penetrate my bra straps another dead give away.
but for day to day no one ever said anything to me

Valerie
09-03-2008, 02:48 AM
I have shaved my arms and legs for over a year and noone has made a comment. I suspect no one has even noticed... except me, of course, and I much prefer the hairless look and feel.

Valerie

DAVIDA
09-03-2008, 06:25 AM
I go hairless too! Unfortunately, on my head too! I recently started shaving my arms. It is to wonderful to go back!:battingeyelashes: As far as people saying anything, when in male mode, I am not the type of person that people make coments to. Even if they do notice.

darla_g
09-03-2008, 07:06 AM
I think the trimming idea is the best and thats what i do. Most women i know have some amount of hair, but it is very fine.

I think Karren told me she also dies it with whatever cheap hair dye she gets so it is a very, very light color. Probably also not a bad idea.

ElaineB
09-05-2008, 01:50 AM

That happened to me too!

A gas stove exploded while I was cooking and it toasted all the hair on my right arm. Burnt hair smells REAL bad so I shaved it off. Then I looked stupid with one shaved arm so I did the other one too.

I do not think anyone ever noticed.

sami1952
09-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I shave my arms all the time and none of my friends have ever said anything about it .

Rachael08
09-05-2008, 08:23 PM
I started shaving my arms a few weeks after I started shaving legs, armpits, and chest. I have received one comment in the last 2 months. The one comment came from my sister in law who said she thought it was cool that she had more arm hair then me, and that was it. :doh: