PDA

View Full Version : how'd you pick your name?

Abraxas
05-24-2005, 04:20 AM
Your male name, that is...

Mine came about in a sort of interesting fashion. My entire male name is Benjamin Edward Durante (not pronounced like Jimmy Durante, but Dur- AHN- teh).

I've gone by several names in my life, but none really ever stuck. This one seems to be sticking though. Edward came about because I'm a big fan of Eddie Izzard and started using Eddie as an online alias. But I decided Eddie couldn't be my first name because that would be kind of like taking the piss because most of my friends are fans of Izzard. Plus it might get confusing.

Benjamin was from a bit out of Izzard's standup. I was talking with my "sister" Elise about a bit where Izzard says "Jesus was like Buddha's baby brother Benny" and we were talking about how we are sort of siblings, and she's older... So eventually we decided that she's Buddha and I'm Benny. Or something. So she started calling me Benny and then I started going by Ben or Benny at school.

And I've always liked the name Dante. During my senior year of high school I did a report on Dante (as in Dante's Inferno) and learnt that his full name was Durante. My real last name is 14 letters long and most people can't pronounce or spell it so I figured it would be easier anyway if I picked a new surname.

So eventually I strung the names together and came up with Benjamin Edward Durante. I'm considering legally changing my name.

I'm just wondering where Abraxas comes in. Abraxas is my stage name so I guess I'll just go by Abraxas in my music career. Abraxas was a concept in the book "Demian" by Hermann Hesse, as well as a figure in Greek mythology. The concept Abraxas represents opposites: male and female, good and evil, yin and yang, etc.

So that's my name story. Where'd you all get yours?

Gozer
05-24-2005, 05:29 AM
I've had and have several names that people call me. But Gozer is a name I've been called since I was a kid. That was the name of the "bad guy" in the first "Ghostbusters" movie, I loved the movie and that character was my favorite part. Even though I was very young at the time, I noticed how it was said in the movie that Gozer could be anything it wanted to be (when they expected to see a guy and it was a woman instead). So, I stole the name :D

Jessica_six
06-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Gozer the Gozerian! Yes! I loved that flick!
"Ray, when someone asks if you're a god, you say YES!"
:lol::rotflmao: :D :o

Ahem. Anyway....
My name comes from two places actually. The first is the obvious if you read my handle and know Sci-Fi at all.
Jessica 6 from Logan's Run. But not Jessica from the movie; Jessica from the novels. The movie character always seemed to be more than a little needy, whiny, and all but useless to Logan other than being eye candy. But the novel Jessica was strong, sexy, intelligent, inventive; just everything that I would aspire to be if I were a woman.
The other is that I've always just adored Jessica as a female name. I've always thought it sounded very feminine, and always evokes a very feminine, womanly image whenever I hear the name.

veronica
06-09-2005, 06:26 PM
:confused: BUT.....

ARE YOU THE GATE KEEPER? :rolleyes:
:bonk: =)