PDA

View Full Version : Fantasia Fair

Lee Andrews
08-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Has anyone here been and what was your experience like?
I have been thinking about doing something like this and would love to know how things are from someone who is not promoting it.
I need to expand my CDing out of the house and something like this could be the ticket.

Veronica27
08-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Hi Lee

I have not been to Fantasia Fair, but have attended the last two Spring Flings in Kingston Ontario. I am a 69 year old retired crossdresser from the Belleville area, and aside from some furtive underdressing, and walks through the woods in our area, had never really been outside of my home while dressed until my first Fling a year ago this April. I found it to be a very easy way to get myself out among other people with minimal danger of being outed to anyone I might know. Anyone staying at the hotel knows that there is a crossdressing function going on, and are not overly suprised or upset when they pass you in the hallways, or meet you on the elevators. I found most people to be very friendly in this environment, and usually spoke to me and asked me how the weekend was going and if I was having fun. My biggest problem the first time was that I knew no one else in attendance, but most were very friendly towards a new face, and went out of their way to speak to me. My wife stayed at the hotel the first year but did not attend any of the events. The second year, my wife joined the group for two of the meals, the first one was with me en drab and the second one was with me in full femme mode, the first time she had ever done that.

The fantasia fair seems a bit more pricey, but has a lot more to offer in the way of meetings, seminars and the like. I have been looking into attending the Erie Gala in November, which has a variable cost depending upon how many days you attend. Just attending the Saturday sessions allows for a full day of dressing, shopping and dining for a very reasonable fee. Another event is in Port Dover Ontario in September, but I know too many people in that area to risk attending.

Websites for all of these events can be easily found. I need to be able to get out more than once a year, and these events provide a great starting point for gaining the needed confidence.

All the best

Veronica

Kristen Marie
08-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi Lee,

Last year I went for one day/evening. It was all I could steal away from work, but it is something I would consider doing again this year. Here's why. I drove to Provincetown as Kristen, shopped in the amazingly friendly artisitic shops, walked along their main street and felt right at home. There were a number of other girls and it was a safe, welcoming, environment. I went to the talent show in the evening and could just sit back and enjoy they event. I did not know anyone there but was able to talk to a number of girls and lesbians in attendance. There were other girls who fly in and stay there for the full week....and do that year after year. But, if you are looking for a destination that is probably the most welcoming you can ever find, it is Provincetown during that week.

julie w
08-31-2008, 10:19 PM
I went to fantasia fair in 2003 and enjoyed it , I plan to go again some time
its well run and the town knows the fair is on so no problems walking around

Lee Andrews
09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have heard of the Kingston Ont one and the Port Dover one but they still seem too close to home. MJ made me a great offer a few months back but again the big chicken comes out in full force keeping me home.
I'm trying to get my nerve up to go somewhere and be some what comfortable in doing so. I don't want to be sitting in a rocker one day saying I wish I did that but this first hurdle is a big one to get over.

Lee.

Toots
09-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi Lee, my name is Toots and I will be going to the FF for the last 4 days. Like yourself, I didn't want to be sitting in a rocker wishing to do something but not doing it. Google Fantasia Fair and there is great info. This will be my first time outside and I am both excited and scared. I hope to see you there.

Lee Andrews
09-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi Lee, my name is Toots and I will be going to the FF for the last 4 days. Like yourself, I didn't want to be sitting in a rocker wishing to do something but not doing it. Google Fantasia Fair and there is great info. This will be my first time outside and I am both excited and scared. I hope to see you there.

I saw their web site that's why I asked here for first hand knowledge. They are trying to sell something and people always say something to make their events sound great.

Not this year, Disney bought and paid for this Dec.
Hoping for next year, Looks like not a bad drive about 10hrs.Could fit the whole wardrobe in the truck.LOL

Veronica27
09-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi again Lee

The beauty of an event like Kingston, for a first time out, is that you can remain within the hotel for the entire time and see lots of strangers as well as being seen by them, without having to worry about anything they may say or do. The chances of meeting someone you know in a large hotel that is within a few hundred kilometres of home is practically nil. If your friends live in your own town, they are not likely to be staying at an expensive hotel when they are so close to home, and if you have friends in the town where the event is being held, the chances of them being at the hotel are also quite slim. The strangers are all aware of the event taking place, so they are not suprised to pass you in the halls, and most are quite curious and interested in what is going on around them. The staff have all been prepped quite well and treat you with the utmost respect. The atmosphere is quite safe.

I would feel a little more uncomfortable at the Port Dover event, as the town is much smaller, and I have friends and relatives living quite nearby. Much of the enjoyment of that event is being out around the town, the hotel is much smaller and there is a more likely chance that someone I know might be having dinner at the hotel restaurant.

The people you meet at any event who are attending the event are great, and you finally have a chance to talk face to face with others about your crossdressing which is even better than conversing on a forum like this.

I hope you reconsider Kingston next year.

Veronica