PDA

View Full Version : Professional Help

IMJenn
08-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Has anyone ever seeked professional help, like a pyscholgist or psychiatrist?

Its something I've been considering lately, but I wouldn't know where the to start as far as to find one or such.

I am not seeking help to find a "cure" so to speak...more so just to help me feel more comfortable with myself. The closest I've gotten so far is a Wiccan friend of mine casting a spell that will help me be more comfortable with myself...and I believe it has worked, however not to the level i was seeking.

Angie G
08-31-2008, 08:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with you Jenn. So you like to dress enjoy it love it. It won't go away even with help hun I'm thinking save you money and go shopping hun. :hugs:
Angie

AKAMichelle
08-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Bad news is that there doesn't appear to be a cure. If so I would definitely consider it.

The best that you can ask for is finding a way to accept who you are and find balance in your life. That may take many directions from dressing all the time or very little. Each person is different.

I have embarks on a journey of finding balance in my life and believe it or not it has helped. I have dressed almost everyday for several months and I am beginning to figure out how to get the calming effects without the clothes. I think when that happens then crossdressing will be less necessary and balance will be found. That's my take on it.

Karren H
08-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Good luck on that one.... I've never heard of a shrink "curing" anyone.... but the money in your purse will disappear for sure....

IMJenn
08-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm not intending to cure myself...wouldn't want to, i love my mini skirt too much. As I said before, I just am thinking it might be a way to be more comfortable with myself.

Jenna Lynne
08-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Yes. I've spent far too much money on therapists over the years. I happen to have a therapist right now that seems to know her stuff, but I would say it's sort of a crap shoot, especially when dealing with issues around CDing, which many therapists are not very knowledgeable about.

Its something I've been considering lately, but I wouldn't know where the to start as far as to find one or such.
I can recommend a book on finding a therapist called "When Talk Is Not Cheap." It still seems to be available on Amazon in hardback.

I am seeking help to find a "cure" so to speak...more so just to help me feel more comfortable with myself. The closest I've gotten so far is a Wiccan friend of mine casting a spell that will help me be more comfortable with myself...and I believe it has worked, however not to the level i was seeking.
It's not clear to me what you mean by a cure. Does that mean you want to never feel the urge to crossdress again? If so, I'm afraid you're very unlikely to have any success with it. I would go one step further: If you find a therapist who asserts they can cure you, they're a quack. Run like hell!

If what you want is to continue to feel the urges but not actually do it, you might find a celibate Catholic priest and ask him how he refrains from sex. (Not all priests are actually celibate, but many are.) I personally have issues with Catholicism, but such an individual might indeed be able to offer you some tips. Such as, "Get involved in other things."

If what you want is to become comfortable with crossdressing, that's something a good therapist can help with! As can this forum.

I'm not intending to cure myself...wouldn't want to, i love my mini skirt too much. As I said before, I just am thinking it might be a way to be more comfortable with myself.
That's what I suspected -- your original message had a typo. You said "I am seeking help to find a 'cure'," when what you seem to have meant was "I am not seeking help to find a 'cure.'"

Always proofread before posting. Every time I forget to do that, I regret it!

***Jenna Lynne***

(blogging at jennalynne.wordpress.com)

IMJenn
08-31-2008, 09:45 PM
That's what I suspected -- your original message had a typo. You said "I am seeking help to find a 'cure'," when what you seem to have meant was "I am not seeking help to find a 'cure.'"

Always proofread before posting. Every time I forget to do that, I regret it!

***Jenna Lynne***

(blogging at jennalynne.wordpress.com)

You are correct. I am sorry for the confusion my sisters.

Samantha B L
08-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi Jenn, Many people have a mistaken notion of what psychiatry is and how it functions. Psychiatrists are not therapists and analysts. they have been portrayed as these things in movies,TV and comic books for decades and this is criminally preposterous. Psychiatrists are medical doctors who observe,study and treat diseases of the brain synapses which affect everything from judgement,clarity of speech,memory,the ability to drive a car,etc. such as schizophrenia,bipolar depression for instance. There was a time when certain biological illnesses of the brain synapses such as Huntington's disease and Hyperthyroid disorder were sometimes diagnosed by psychiatrists! All of these illnesses are chemically related to one another and definately run in families. But severe mental illnesses are bioneural and NOT caused by a lot of personalty stuff and bad times! Usually,a good psychiatric doctor knows that what their patients are going through is pure hell and they want to help but they just don't even try to help through force of personality.

In fact most psychiatrists are very busy and are about as cheerful as trial lawyers. Actually there has been pretty good but not titantically stupendous psychiatric and psychological help for the mentally ill in this country starting in the 50's and the 60's with the inception of the use of the psychotropic drugs and the antidepressants and with guidelines for the treatment of illnesses such as schizophrenia that were instituted in the early 60's. These all more or less coincided with expansion of the outpatient clinic systems and facilities and the developement of medicare and medicaid.

Jenn,you can talk to everybody here. Psychiatrists aren't bad folks but honestly I don't think there is anything the matter with you and probably a psychiatrist(after having a psychologist or psychiatric nurse examine you)would probably feel that way after talking to you for ten minutes and would just tell you that it was nice chatting rather than take your money!

So go ahead honey and just jump in and start posting and talking to everybody1 that's what we all do!

tamarav
08-31-2008, 10:54 PM
As you clearly note, since you are not seeking a cure, therapy may be of some assistance. Therapy is designed to help you understand who you are and what makes you tick, not to necessarily make major changes. Acceptance may be the key.

When looking for a therapist, as very clearly noted above, you may want to look for a Psychologist (Ph.D)rather than a Psychiatrist (M.D.) There are a few around that specilize in gender issues but any good therpist can assist you. Its finding the good one that can be tough. Learn all you can about prospective therapists, make an evaluation meeting and if they don't seem right, don't make a return appointment.

The Ingersoll Center/Institue in Seattle has a good referral list that has therapists in most states.

As also noted above, we are all here to answer questions as we are able. There is a great deal of experience on this forum, make good use of it.

any typos on this post are not my fault...

Tami

IMJenn
09-01-2008, 03:32 PM
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#800080]any typos on this post are not my fault

Sure, point that out in this thread...my typo confused many of the other girls.:D

Don't worry sister, I'm just kidding around.

Billie Jean
09-01-2008, 11:42 PM

I am not seeking help to find a "cure" so to speak...more so just to help me feel more comfortable with myself. The closest I've gotten so far is a Wiccan friend of mine casting a spell that will help me be more comfortable with myself...and I believe it has worked, however not to the level i was seeking.They couldn't help if they don't dress themselves. Most men know absolutely nothing about fashion. LOL Billie Jean

docrobbysherry
09-01-2008, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=tamarav;1414145]As you clearly note, since you are not seeking a cure, therapy may be of some assistance. Therapy is designed to help you understand who you are and what makes you tick, not to necessarily make major changes. Acceptance may be the key.

When looking for a therapist, as very clearly noted above, you may want to look for a Psychologist (Ph.D)rather than a Psychiatrist (M.D.) There are a few around that specilize in gender issues but any good therpist can assist you. Its finding the good one that can be tough. Learn all you can about prospective therapists, make an evaluation meeting and if they don't seem right, don't make a return appointment.[QUOTE]

Any therapist/ psychologist who says they can cure u, well, excuse yourself to go to the bathroom, and just keep going!
When I told MY therapist about my CDing, we discussed it for 1/2 hour. Then she said, " Let's move on to your problems. Your CDing isn't one of them."

Kate Simmons
09-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I went to one for awhile but not because of self acceptance issues. More to figure out how to deal with others who could not accept me. The spell may have been effective somewhat but spells are really nothing more than energy. Energy can be manipulated. The true power is within youself, you just have to learn how to use it.:)

Tomara
09-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi IMJenn
The answer to your question is yes .
I have been seeing a female therapist who works with alot of people with gender issues of all different kinds .
I think the biggest thing is to find someone who has knowledge in the subject and who you feel comfortable enough with to share all of your feelings with , if you dont have those elements it would be hard for them to help you .
I will ad that telling her that I cross dressed was one of the hardest things I have done in my life , but she has been a huge help in my accepting myself and to better understand my feeling about cross dressing .
If you need help finding a therapist your MD should be able to give you some help there.
Good luck
Tomara

IMJenn
09-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Thank you all for your advice and help. Katie, it is definately refreshing to hear your opnion. And no, I'm not rich, i'm actually in financial trouble right now. So I wouldn't be able to afford it anyhow.

Again, thank you all.

KarenEdwards
09-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Like all of us, I am many things and being a crossdreser is only one of them. I am a golfer and do not want a cure for that (I would like to be better, though). I am a tournament archer (pretty good) and don't want a cure for that, either. I play bluegrass solo guitar (always trying to get better) and don't need a cure for it. I am a bicyclist (slow) and never felt the need to be cured of it. I am a crossdresser and, as with the other things I am and do, enjoy it...so, no cure is needed for that, either!

Raquel June
09-02-2008, 07:44 PM
The closest I've gotten so far is a Wiccan friend of mine casting a spell that will help me be more comfortable with myself...and I believe it has worked, however not to the level i was seeking.

Therapy can be very helpful if you relax and just explore your issues... but oh, honey... You know those chubby crazy ex-cutter Wiccan angry-at-all-the-popular-kids girls are 100 times more screwed up than you'll ever be. If you honestly think witchcraft has helped you, then I really don't know if you're in the right place for dealing with things.

I happen to have a therapist right now that seems to know her stuff, but I would say it's sort of a crap shoot, especially when dealing with issues around CDing, which many therapists are not very knowledgeable about.

That seems to be the case for everyone. Most therapists seem like nice people, but who knows how they're going to approach something like crossdressing. And if you get a therapist who specializes in that kind of thing, then they'll probably be more fixated on it than you are! At least for me ... I don't think crossdressing is a problem, and I don't think it makes me the craziest person in the world, but I do still have some other issues.

Seriously, unless you're a darn sight richer than most 22-year-olds, forget the psychiatrist and talk to other CDs who've been there.

Katie, your advice is all kinda scary, but I'll focus on this part.

You're not going to get any perspective on life by only talking to people who share most of your opinions. You are especially not going to get any perspective if you look for help from those who share your emotional problems.

I know Jenn's not looking to be "cured" of crossdressing, but let's just think about this. What if we were talking about being bipolar? Imagine if bipolar people only went to other bipolar people to talk about their problems. Eventually they'd all be off their meds and they'd have everybody convinced that the rest of the world was a bunch of lunatics for not putting up with all their craziness.

There's nothing wrong with looking for help from a professional, and it's really not very cool for you to be discouraging it.

I don't know if Jenn's all that depressed or not, but it does sound like it. Usually when people start considering therapy, they're very depressed. Depression kills 20% of the people who have it. Don't tell her not to talk to a therapist.

IMJenn
09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Therapy can be very helpful if you relax and just explore your issues... but oh, honey... You know those chubby crazy ex-cutter Wiccan angry-at-all-the-popular-kids girls are 100 times more screwed up than you'll ever be. If you honestly think witchcraft has helped you, then I really don't know if you're in the right place for dealing with things.

My Wiccan friend is a very mature person, and very intelligent. She holds no grudges and is very accepting. I am not Wiccan myself, but I don't perscribe to any specific religon. Honestly, the way Wiccan works is appealing to me. I don't see how believing that witchcraft is possible is a bad thing.

I don't know if Jenn's all that depressed or not, but it does sound like it. Usually when people start considering therapy, they're very depressed. Depression kills 20% of the people who have it. Don't tell her not to talk to a therapist.

I'm not depressed, and I'm in no danger of suicide. Don't worry about that. I appreciatte the concern though. I'm just...a little out of touch with myself. That's all.

Raquel June
09-02-2008, 11:21 PM
My Wiccan friend is a very mature person, and very intelligent. She holds no grudges and is very accepting. I am not Wiccan myself, but I don't perscribe to any specific religon. Honestly, the way Wiccan works is appealing to me. I don't see how believing that witchcraft is possible is a bad thing.

Well, it's a bad thing in that many people will think you're nuts. When you ask for help with something then you say, "A friend of mine cast a spell on me, and it helped a little bit," people may have trouble taking you seriously. Believing in silly things -- whether it's witchcraft or massive UFO conspiracies perpetrated by the US government -- isn't an overtly "bad" thing, but it makes you flaky and unapproachable by most sane people.

Many intelligent people are totally irrational. Hitler was very intelligent.

A friend of mine just spammed an entire TG support group mailing list with a very heavy-handed conspiracy video saying NutraSweet causes brain tumors, Fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, seizures, depression, brain damage, retinal damage, and can make your eyes bleed. She meant well, and most people know NutraSweet isn't that good for you, but now everybody thinks she's a lunatic. But I guess you are a lunatic if you can't do a common-sense check now and then. She's very intelligent, though. She used to design missile guidance systems.

One of my best friends is Pagan. I have more respect for it than most religions. If more people lived by, "If it harms no one, do what you will," instead of listening to fundamentalists, the world would be a better place. But many forms of Paganism are rational and positive, whereas Wicca teaches "witchcraft." I would criticize Wiccans for being incapable of casting a spell that can do anything tangible, but praying to Jesus, Allah, or L. Ron Hubbard can't get you anything tangible, either, so I guess it's as reasonable as anything else. Maybe the tons of emotionally damaged kids I've met who talk about Wicca are the exception. It's just a little sad seeing someone who's feeling out of touch and looking for some answers in their life who thinks witchcraft is a pretty good idea.

Any hobby will give you some focus and comfort, and religion can be a lovely one. Any hobby can make you weird if you take it too seriously, too. People who join cults or get too excited about religion usually end up worse off. They alienate old friends who really cared (by creeping them out) and trade them for pseudo-friends with an agenda. Some people get way too into crossdressing. I have a great time with it, but I've met a lot of CDs who are total downers who just want to talk about their plight and how hard it is, and I can't help thinking it's their fault for obsessing.

And that's where therapy can really help. Therapists have dealt with a lot of different people with a lot of different problems. They can be very comforting, and they can impartially help you see when something is positive for you and when something has become a problem and you need to ease off. A lot of what a good therapist does is give you a reality check, and everybody could use one now and then.

docrobbysherry
09-02-2008, 11:55 PM
What if we were talking about being bipolar? Imagine if bipolar people only went to other bipolar people to talk about their problems. Eventually they'd all be off their meds and they'd have everybody convinced that the rest of the world was a bunch of lunatics for not putting up with all their craziness.

It sounds like you've met my ex?:doh:

Actually, I think your detailed advice, and experience, should be required reading for CD/TG/TS folks with "problems".

Elizabeth Ann
09-03-2008, 01:24 AM
I agree that discouraging someone from seeking therapy is pretty irresponsible.

I am seeing two therapists, one by myself for depression and one with my wife for couples counseling. In both cases, my crossdressing has been discussed, but only in the context of an aspect of my personality and my relationship with my wife.

In my opinion, a good therapist will be nonjudgmental, neither telling you crossdressing is a bad thing, nor encouraging you. What he or she will do is to provide a safe and comfortable environment to explore your life, your world view, your self image, hopes, fears, guilts, assumptions, actions and reactions.

A good therapist can help you to see things you were not able to see before. Mine stopped me dead in my tracks when she observed that whenever she asked me what I wanted to do, I would respond that, "I need to . . . " When the other asked me, "are you on strike?" it lead to insights about my passive-aggressive behavior.

I think a therapist is useful for just the reason that Jenn is looking for one.

We are lucky enough to have health insurance that covers much of this cost, but there are public mental health options available. The local health department should be able to direct you to reduced cost or free resources, perhaps not optimal but better than nothing.

Good luck,
Elizabeth

IMJenn
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, it's a bad thing in that many people will think you're nuts. When you ask for help with something then you say, "A friend of mine cast a spell on me, and it helped a little bit," people may have trouble taking you seriously. Believing in silly things -- whether it's witchcraft or massive UFO conspiracies perpetrated by the US government -- isn't an overtly "bad" thing, but it makes you flaky and unapproachable by most sane people.

Many intelligent people are totally irrational. Hitler was very intelligent.

A friend of mine just spammed an entire TG support group mailing list with a very heavy-handed conspiracy video saying NutraSweet causes brain tumors, Fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, seizures, depression, brain damage, retinal damage, and can make your eyes bleed. She meant well, and most people know NutraSweet isn't that good for you, but now everybody thinks she's a lunatic. But I guess you are a lunatic if you can't do a common-sense check now and then. She's very intelligent, though. She used to design missile guidance systems.

One of my best friends is Pagan. I have more respect for it than most religions. If more people lived by, "If it harms no one, do what you will," instead of listening to fundamentalists, the world would be a better place. But many forms of Paganism are rational and positive, whereas Wicca teaches "witchcraft." I would criticize Wiccans for being incapable of casting a spell that can do anything tangible, but praying to Jesus, Allah, or L. Ron Hubbard can't get you anything tangible, either, so I guess it's as reasonable as anything else. Maybe the tons of emotionally damaged kids I've met who talk about Wicca are the exception. It's just a little sad seeing someone who's feeling out of touch and looking for some answers in their life who thinks witchcraft is a pretty good idea.

Any hobby will give you some focus and comfort, and religion can be a lovely one. Any hobby can make you weird if you take it too seriously, too. People who join cults or get too excited about religion usually end up worse off. They alienate old friends who really cared (by creeping them out) and trade them for pseudo-friends with an agenda. Some people get way too into crossdressing. I have a great time with it, but I've met a lot of CDs who are total downers who just want to talk about their plight and how hard it is, and I can't help thinking it's their fault for obsessing.

And that's where therapy can really help. Therapists have dealt with a lot of different people with a lot of different problems. They can be very comforting, and they can impartially help you see when something is positive for you and when something has become a problem and you need to ease off. A lot of what a good therapist does is give you a reality check, and everybody could use one now and then.

I believe you are allowing your personal bias against Wiccan to come into your judgement here. The comparison to Hitler does bother me. I never said my friend was encouraging me to join a cult or such, I show interest in it the same I do to any religon-its an interesting belief to explore. As you said yourself, a spell is no more then praying, just a different form of it. Someone comes to me and tells me that a burning bush talks to them, and I think they are crazy. However, this is becoming a religous discussion, and I would not want to get into that, however, if you want to continue this discussion we could continue via PM. I do believe we are breaking the rules, and I don't wish for any anger or offense to take place between us.

This forum is a happy place, and I don't want this discussion to become something of anger. All of these people here I can feel like a sister to, which something I have nowhere else. I do believe this is enough therapy in itself to have a community of welcoming and accepting people to talk to. Thank you.

Sarasometimes
09-03-2008, 10:27 PM
I sent you a message but if you din't get it I wll share it here. I have been to 5 therapists and the one I am using now is the first one i wasn't educating. The place is near New Brunswick NJ and they specialize in gender issues (not just TS but CD as well). I have been getting help in how to keep a balance between all my worlds if you will. They also work with any insurance you may have. Good Luck, Sara

Jilmac
09-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I sought out psychological help twice. First time was because I thought I could be cured but ended up more confused. The second time I went to a clinic that specializes in gender issues, not so much to seek a cure but to find out what makes me crave femininity. I still don't have all the answers but I am more confidant and comfortable with my feminine side. I learned that dressing is an integral part of my being that will never be cured or go away. Counseling helped me realize that I'm the same person no matter what I choose to wear.

Raquel June
09-04-2008, 12:38 AM
I wasn't comparing your friend to Hitler. You insinuated that Wicca was reasonable because your friend was intelligent, and I was simply showing why that is flawed logic.

You talk about my personal bias, but I was simply presenting facts. If you have other facts, I would be very interested. If you think the idea of a burning bush talking is ridiculous, but you do not think your friend casting a spell on you is ridiculous, then you are the one who is biased.

Why did you make this thread? You already have your mind made up. The majority of responses have told you that therapy is a good thing and will probably help you, but you don't care. It's depressing that you have decided that witchcraft can help you but therapy can't.

You're in your 20's, right? I beg you to listen to the people in their 50's and 60's who are offering you advice. You want to be happy, right? Find an older crossdresser who used to be troubled but now is happy. I'll bet the solution to their troubles didn't involve spellcasting, but it may have involved therapy.

Raquel June
09-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Well, feeling suicidal is definitely a reason to get help, but some people can be pretty miserable and/or abusive to others without being suicidal. Hearing voices in your head really isn't so bad unless those voices are telling you to go stab someone.

People with gender issues often have serious social dysphoria. Are they depressed? Maybe not. They just have thoughts that make them feel alienated. They don't feel like they fit in. Sometimes very simple parts of life are extremely difficult and foreign. Just seeing a good therapist a few times can make them feel a lot better.

You might as well try therapy and spellcasting and see which works for you. But relying on the supernatural to fix your problems is a sign of psychosis. For example, there are lots of Christians who are smart, well-rounded, rational people. They should be respected. Then there are some Christians who think that if their child is sick, they should pray about it instead of taking the kid to the doctor. Those people should be arrested for child abuse.

Some people avoid going to the doctor because they're in denial about their problems. Others avoid going to the doctor because they think it shows weakness. Both of those are stupid reasons.

If you were having chest pain and refused to go to the doctor then died of heart failure, people would call you an idiot. If you said, "I know my chest hurts, but I'm going to rely on support from my friends to help me," they would call you an even bigger idiot. A a psychologist is a kind of doctor, too. For some reason much of society looks down on people going to a psychologist. Emotional problems can be just as serious as physical ones. As a matter of fact, emotional problems are often much worse, because your emotional problems impact all those you interact with.

Many people who flat-out refuse to even try therapy do so because they have severe denial problems. They know they are damaged emotionally, and they may even know why, but they refuse to get any real help. These people don't want to live a healthy life, and that's their decision, but they often make the lives of those who love them miserable as well.

IMJenn
09-04-2008, 08:53 PM
You're in your 20's, right? I beg you to listen to the people in their 50's and 60's who are offering you advice. You want to be happy, right? Find an older crossdresser who used to be troubled but now is happy. I'll bet the solution to their troubles didn't involve spellcasting, but it may have involved therapy.

Probably some of the best advice. One of the reasons I joined this forum. I started this thread to ask if others had sought therapy and how their experiences were. I thank you all for your advice.

Raquel June
09-09-2008, 11:06 PM
I was looking back on this thread ... and I didn't mean to sound rude.

See, I have a friend who is a very depressed alcoholic Wiccan, and was suicidal enough to buy a gun strictly for the purpose of killing him/herself (he used to identify as totally transgendered and now doesn't). But he refuses to try therapy. He's actually a real jerk, is the laziest person I've ever met, and totally uses everybody he meets. But she was a real sweetie when we used to hang out.

Sorry for projecting some of that on you. I'm sure you're much nicer and saner than my friend.

I was suicidal, got dumped by my fiancée (didn't even get the $5K ring back), lost my job, and was having a pretty rough time a couple years ago. Anti-depressants didn't help me, but therapy did, although I had a pretty mediocre therapist, and I didn't stick with it once I started to get my life together.

(btw, now I've got a good job, I'm finishing school, and I get to go out and be pretty most weekends, so things are a lot better)

Tina B.
09-10-2008, 12:21 AM
I have been to 5 therapists and the one I am using now is the first one i wasn't educating.

This is a story you hear a lot, to many of them have no understanding of our issues, and they take your money, and then you get to educate them, great way to pay for your schooling. If you plan to go that way do your research and find someone that has already learned about the Transgender world. If you can do that, maybe you will learn more than your therapist learns.
Tina B.

CD Susan
09-10-2008, 01:37 AM
No Jenn, I have never been to any kind of therapist for my 'condition'. I have never seen much need to do this. There was a period in my life when I was not accepting this part of me and wanted to quit. I thought of seeing some kind of professional but decided against it. I got through that difficult time in my life all by myself. I came to realise that there is no way to change it but only to accept it. I have done that and live a very satisfied life now.

Genifer Teal
09-10-2008, 04:43 AM

I thought this was about a makeover. Guess that is a diferent kind of professional help. lol I never did seek psych help. As long as they were in favor of this, I wonder how a psych they may have helped me appreciate this better. I believe thye can not change your mind. Perhaps they can make you resolve your thoughts faster. So, what ever will become of this eventually in your life, can happen sooner so you can learn to accept it sooner and make the best of it.

Gen

Suzy Harrison
09-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Well I saw one a few months ago as I felt I was Transgendered... and he took one look at me and agreed - it cost me $360 to find that out !!

Kate Lynn
09-10-2008, 09:40 AM
My parents sent me to a shrink when I was 13 because mom caught me in the basement in an old dress and heels,I drove the shrink nuts.

KimberlyS
09-10-2008, 10:45 AM
My wife and I had ours, hers, mine, and ours therapists. They helped little with the CDing issues but did help with personal issues and helped to improve our communication skills as a couple so we could work through the CDing issues on our own.

Our counselors were christian based and we initially went in to fix me but that seemed to change as we worked though things. Our first one told us that CDing was against the bible but would not back it up with where. After two sessions he had enough of me and became only my wife's counselor.

Make sure you get a professional that you can relate to and feel right with so you can open up to them or look for another one.

trannie T
09-10-2008, 04:38 PM
I have never seen a therapist for gender issues and can not say how well one across the entire continent from me will treat someone I have never met. However if you are troubled by your feelings or are having difficulty accepting yourself as you are find a supportive therapist. There should be a GLBT organization in your area who can recommend a therapist or help you find a support group.
If you feel that you should see a therapist then a few visits should do you some good.

IMJenn
09-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I was looking back on this thread ... and I didn't mean to sound rude.

See, I have a friend who is a very depressed alcoholic Wiccan, and was suicidal enough to buy a gun strictly for the purpose of killing him/herself (he used to identify as totally transgendered and now doesn't). But he refuses to try therapy. He's actually a real jerk, is the laziest person I've ever met, and totally uses everybody he meets. But she was a real sweetie when we used to hang out.

Sorry for projecting some of that on you. I'm sure you're much nicer and saner than my friend.

I was suicidal, got dumped by my fiancée (didn't even get the $5K ring back), lost my job, and was having a pretty rough time a couple years ago. Anti-depressants didn't help me, but therapy did, although I had a pretty mediocre therapist, and I didn't stick with it once I started to get my life together.

(btw, now I've got a good job, I'm finishing school, and I get to go out and be pretty most weekends, so things are a lot better)

I'm sorry to here about your friend. I am also sorry for reacting the way I did. I feel as though I overreacted to your statements and made some assumptions that I shouldn't have. Apologies from this side as well. :hugs: