PDA

View Full Version : being your authentic self

Carin
09-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Life had been turned upside down for me and our family a few times in past 12 - 18 months. It has been rough, heartbreaking, emotionally challenging and sometimes feeling totally hopeless. Through this challenging time, I have learned that life is on a path that I have little control over, mine included. I have heard professional and casual advise about 'Finding myself", 'Being my authentic self" etc. OK, sage advise, if I could only figure my authentic self out. I think I may have abandoned my self to a large extent so many years ago.

At the same time I have leaned more significantly on being feminine. There is a serenity there for me when it is hard to find anywhere else. I have told a few people outside my family that I am transgendered. People I have not interacted with much in recent years but still good friends. Their responses have ranged from "I am not surprised" to "I've always seen you as having a feminine side". Did someone pin it on my back?

I have a different attitude about expressing myself recently. It is more of a "If you have a problem with this then that is your problem, I am just me". I am a guy with a very distinct feminine (attitude, aire, instinct - choose your noun) thing going. I flew across the country in casual but distinctively femme mode through three airports without as much as a heart flutter. I am more casual about wearing feminine jewellery about town. My daughter said I made some guys nervous at a grocery store checkout line, but I didn't notice. It's like I have this pink cloud thing going on (marginally different than the pink fog). In general my attitude is without self-consciousness, and my reception by others seems to be more relaxed.

It is a bit scary. It is as if life itself is telling me that I am more feminine that I cognitively understand. I see myself as a guy with a strong femininity. I don't want to get into a labels discussion, but I liked the term bi-gendered, except that term is used for distinct male and female modes, whereas I feel a more integrated femininity, as many like to say, just me. Is God's plan (or however you perceive your higher power) for me more feminine than I have ever before acknowledged to myself, and I have been looking at this for 13 years. I do not see myself as a woman (not ts). My sexuality and genitalia are just fine with me. Yet Bras and breast forms feel 'right'. I was looking at female pheromones literature today and thought, no I don't need to give of any more feminine vibes that I already do.

The challenge / confusion for me, if I think about it too much, is "Is my head stuck too much in that pink cloud? Is this a crutch for now?", or "Am I fighting what was meant to be?". Before you ask why I am fighting it, there are implications far beyond me, implications that might affect my immediate family, extended family, community and work environments. It is also relevant to me that being transgendered was a contributing (but not the only or necessarily prime) factor in ending my 24 year marriage, in spite of both our best efforts. That is a pretty heavy duty factor on the 'relevance to life" scale, that is hard to ignore.

I don't know that I am looking for a specific answer right now. Life will after all, move forward and what will be will be. Still, a little more self-clarity wouldn't go astray.

This post probably fits more as journaling than anything else but your comments, insights and observations are welcome.

RobinScott
09-01-2008, 04:47 AM
That was a wonderful post. For me I know that I am not a Woman and never will be. But our society has drawn big lines, several miles apart as to what it means to be male and what it means to be female. A lot of us don't fit those extreams. If it were on a sliding scale, my mind and self identity are closer to Female than Male. At times I resent having to "pick a side", especialy when mother nature calls and I have to choose a restroom. But, I enjoy expressing and having the female side of me recognized. If the world wont accept 'a man in a dress', then I try to pass as best as I can for a woman.

Love, Robin

Empress Lainie
09-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Carin - I used to be in the same pond you are in. I always knew I was different from other boys and men and didn't have a clue why, I was just me and late in life just decided I was eccentric.

Last year the spell was broken and I emerged like a butterfly into full womanhood overnight. All of the mysteries in my previous life were answered by the knowledge that I was really a female born in the wrong body. I had no barriers like most do, partly due to my age of 72. I did lose my job of 13 years due to the ignorance of 3 people on what a tg person is.

I have never been happier in my entire life with myself and the way I look now.

We each have to chart our own path and it really is up to us, not anyone else, not even a counselor, you have to make the decisions for yourself. So I can wish nothing but the best for you in your endeavors and hope you find the true peace of being the person you really are.

I thought I was bi-gendered but that did not last long.

Amy Hepker
09-01-2008, 06:14 AM
You are right, we need to be who we are now, because you never know what might happen in the next minute let alone in the next year. This is why I say enjoy your life as you are inside NOW!

Angie G
09-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Nice Post Carin very Thought provoking.:hugs:
Angie

PamelaTX
09-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Thank you for sharing Carin. I understand what you're talking about. It's easy to say "just be yourself," but it's very hard to figure out just what that means. My life recently has been an adventure like no other. It's exciting and scary, and I have no idea where it will lead.

I wish you all the best.

MJ
09-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Thank you Carin,

i can't understand how on the one hand people say you must be your true-self but on the other hand when we do we become freaks or dirty and everything we hold dear is in danger of being destroyed. is it any wonder we are so stressed.

it's not fair that like you i just don't care what people think about me. it's my way of coping but it should not be that way.

Jenna Lynne
09-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Through this challenging time, I have learned that life is on a path that I have little control over, mine included. I have heard professional and casual advise about 'Finding myself", 'Being my authentic self" etc. OK, sage advise, if I could only figure my authentic self out. I think I may have abandoned my self to a large extent so many years ago.
A lot of what you said rings true for me. One of my favorite quotes is from Walt Whitman. He was America's first important poet (also, he was gay, not that that matters). He said this: "Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes."

I think this is worth remembering, for those of us who seem to express different parts of a complex personality at different times. Sometimes I feel that when I'm being true to one part of myself I'm neglecting another part! But there's no help for it. I contain multitudes. I'm also large, but I'm dieting....

Also, you might want to read Kate Bornstein's book "Gender Outlaw." She offers some interesting meditations on gender fluidity.

***Jenna Lynne***

Carin
09-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Also, you might want to read Kate Bornstein's book "Gender Outlaw." She offers some interesting meditations on gender fluidity.***

Thanks Jenna. I just read the Google Books excerpt and it is indeed an interesting and refreshing look at Gender. It looked like there might be copy in Borders in Palo Alto, so I was going to clean up pretty and go get it. However I called and they can't find it. Guess I will have to order it on-line.

Update
Barnes & Noble had a copy, so I got an outing after all. My 17yo daughter came with me because she was bored at home.