PDA

View Full Version : Entering and exiting a car, with a purse

Phyliss
09-01-2008, 05:15 PM
OK, I know the “rules” for entering and exiting a car, sit and swing in the legs holding the knees together. Exit the opposite way. I understand that part, in fact I do it every time I get in and out of my car, no matter how I’m dressed. Helps to form a habit.
My question has to do with my handbag. I’ve been carrying a bag for the better part of 3 years now, and never really gave much thought to the “proper” way to enter or exit when carrying a bag.
Usually I simply toss my bag onto the passenger seat and get in. When exiting I pick it up and then swing out legs and stand. If my wife is with me I hold onto it until I’m seated and then place it behind the passenger seat.

I guess I’m doing it correctly, but I just want to be sure. Best way to find out is ask the experts. Everyday I learn something new.

Sally24
09-01-2008, 05:42 PM
If it's a small evening type bag I keep it tucked under my arm until I'm seated. Make sure to relocate it BEFORE you buckle up. LOL With a large bag I take it off the shoulder and either put it in the back seat/floor area or I hold it in my lap as I pivot, then transfer it to my feet or wherever is handy. I think this is one of those things where GG's do it all different ways. Would you beleive there are even girls who don't carry a bag?:eek:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS Phyllis - I just bought a great pencil skirt at the Express in the Mall in Newington! One of my few stops in NH, I generally keep to Mass. when dressed.

tamarav
09-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Remembering that a purse is an essential to most women, I hold it as long as necessary until I am seated, then place it on the seat next to me on under my knees. Getting out I pick up my purse and either put it under my arm or swing it onto my shoulder depending on the type of purse.

I too plant my bottom first, then swing my legs into the car. I have to do that in either dress, the car is so low.

Your sis,

Tami

sterling12
09-01-2008, 08:35 PM
The all important exit! I think most women leave the purse on the seat or the floor and retrieve the purse AFTER they have made their egress. Just remember to be careful about how you bend over to get your bag. Stooping would be better than bending, if it's on the floor.

Peace and Love, Joanie

harmony
09-01-2008, 08:59 PM
you have got to have a big purse tami!!for a 1000 posts!congrats!!i have enjoyed everyone of them-thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Jilmac
09-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Phyliss, I'm no expert but I have watched how GGs do it and I would say that you're doing it just fine. I think a lot depends on the type of purse you carry too. My shoulder bag usually goes on the floor between the seats after I find my keys. If I'm carrying a clutch I'll put it on the seat next to me.

Phyliss
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
... Make sure to relocate it BEFORE you buckle up....With a large bag I take it off the shoulder and either put it in the back seat/floor area or I hold it in my lap as I pivot, then transfer it to my feet or wherever is handy. I think this is one of those things where GG's do it all different ways. Would you beleive there are even girls who don't carry a bag?:eek:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS Phyllis - I just bought a great pencil skirt at the Express in the Mall in Newington! One of my few stops in NH, I generally keep to Mass. when dressed.

Fortunately I live in one of the last "civilized" states that doesn't have a mandatory seat belt law, we're still allowed to think for ourself.

The next time you're up this way let me know and if the planets align correctly and we can meet, I'll introduce you to Irene at my favorite lingerie shop, A jewel of a lady.

The all important exit! ... Just remember to be careful about how you bend over to get your bag. Stooping would be better than bending, if it's on the floor.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Definetly don't want to give out TOO MUCH information.

Brina Halloween
09-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I can't think of a specific way that purses are handled. I think I have seen about all the ways listed. As for the method of getting into the car...I have a Fiero. Sit and swivel is mandatory unless you enjoy pain. It just does not work the other way every time.

Brina

tricia_uktv
09-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Glad to see you American Girls use handbags - I thought they were purses:) This is whole new art to me. I've recently learnt that it is better to carry my handbag over my left shoulder rather than my right. It seems to work better but why?

I think it does depend on the size of the bag and the straps but I would try to keep it with me at all times if possible. Even if that means looking like a shot putter at the start of his throw. After all, it contains everything important to us, including money, keys ......and make-up

TommiTN
09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
"This is whole new art to me. I've recently learnt that it is better to carry my handbag over my left shoulder rather than my right. It seems to work better but why?"

Are you right-handed? If so that's why it works better. Reaching into a purse on your left shoulder with your left hand is a bit awkward...

charlie
09-02-2008, 07:42 PM
The things we are learning! I always keep my knees together when entering or exiting, but always forget the damn bag! That entails either being most unladylike retrieving it or going to the passenger side to claim it. I tried not having a bag, but where to put the keys, money or lip gloss? The little pockets just are to small or usually not existent.

Veronica27
09-03-2008, 09:17 AM
At 6' 3", I find it almost impossible to enter or exit many smaller cars with my legs together, no matter how I am dressed. If I am on the driver's side, my right leg has to be bent down at an awkward angle so that I will clear the steering column. As for the purse, or anything else I might be carrying, the easiest thing is to throw it in first, and then try to bend over enough to duck my head in and finally struggle to get both legs in one at a time. That is why I prefer to drive my truck. I just sit down and go.

It's like the old joke about why Chrysler called one model the "Neon". It's because you bang your knee on the dashboard and you bang your knee on the steering column when you get in and out.

Veronica

Tamara Croft
09-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh my days.... I've heard some funny things in my time, but putting a handbag in a car? seriously? You think us GG's really worry about where our handbag is going in the car lol.... it gets thrown on the seat :p However... STOP PUTTING IT ON THE FLOOR!!! don't you know that it's bad luck to put a handbag on ANY floor?

sherri
09-03-2008, 10:18 AM
OK, I know the “rules” for entering and exiting a car, sit and swing in the legs holding the knees together. Exit the opposite way.I know this is the proper way to get in and out, I won't argue with that, but I will say it may be a bit old-fashioned cuz I don't think it's how most GGs do it these days, except maybe at church and the symphony. Just sit in a parking lot sometime and watch, most of them get in and out one leg at a time, even when wearing a skirt -- even a short skirt. And I'm pretty sure most of them hang onto their bags until they are seated as opposed to tossing the bag in first.

Empress Lainie
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I got a very large shoulder bag about a month ago and I love it. I was carrying a smaller leather purse before that.

I have to keep a block of ice and my insulin in a tin box in it during the hot weather when I am out. sometimes I carry a soda can too.

I usually carry it on my LEFT shoulder, seems more comfortable, but for a short haul from the car I may just bunch the straps and hang it from my hand.

I am 6ft and have also found that it is easier to toss the bag into the car, particularly with the neon, then sit sideways and pull my legs in one at a time. In the Ford Explorer it is a little easier to do. If I am sitting on the passenger side, I usually put my bag in first on the floor, then get in.

I always wear skirts except the rare occasions I have on shorts or my one pair of capri pants. I wore jeans exclusively in high school (54yrs ago) and hardly ever wore them afterwards, even before my transition, usually slacks or shorts.

[spellcheck thinks afterwards is not a word, ha]

Sarah...
09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Crumbs! I don't know. I just make up all this stuff as I go along. Doesn't everyone?

Come to think of it, I'm glad there isn't a rule book or instruction manual for all this detail shenanigans - it means there's no right answer which means we can debate all this stuff ad infinitum!!! Keep on chatting!

:thumbup:

Sarah...

SherylynJade
09-03-2008, 03:38 PM
It's a little hard for me to sit in my vehicle first. I drive an 04 F-150 that sit's a little high. So I'm still trying to figure out a more lady like way to get in. It's no problem getting out.:)

Amelia Moxon
09-03-2008, 04:39 PM
The sit in and swing the legs works as long as the car doesn't have bucket seats :D

Amelia xxx

Nicki B
09-03-2008, 04:49 PM
You've forgotten the bit about always getting the handbag strap wrapped around the parking brake as you get out...

What - it's just me? :wall: