PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Puberty In Teen Transsexuals

Steph Butterfield
09-04-2008, 07:15 AM
I was sent this by Professor Richard Green, in case you were not aware but are interested in attending here is the info.

Stephanie

BLOCKING PUBERTY IN TEEN TRANSSEXUALS: AN INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

Hormonal treatment of teenage transsexuals is controversial. Whereas in the UK teens must experience most pubertal body changes before any medical intervention, usually at 16, in some countries, including the US, Canada, and the Netherlands, the earliest signs of puberty are blocked and then cross-sex hormones administered.

Clinical practices at medical centres in the US, Canada, and the Netherlands, with teen patients and parents describing their experiences, will be presented at Imperial College, London, on Sunday, 28 September.

Clinicians presenting will be Professor Norman Spack, Harvard Medical School, Professor Marvin Belzer, University of Southern California Medical School, Professor Kenneth Zucker, University of Toronto, and Dr. Annelou de Vries, Free University, Amsterdam. All are engaged in extensive programs treating teen transsexuals with pubertal blockers and cross-sex steroids. Dr Simona Giordano, School of Law, Manchester University, will discuss ethical issues. Teens and parents from the Netherlands and the UK, the latter having travelled to the US for treatment, will discuss their experiences.

Richard Green is moderating the conference. From 1994-2006, he was Research Director/Head, Gender Identity Clinic, Charing Cross Hospital. He authored the chapter on child and adolescent gender identity disorder in the New Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry and has published 200 papers and chapters on psychosexual development since 1960.

The conference runs from 9:30-5 at Skempton Building, Lecture Theatre 201, Imperial College, South Kensington campus. We hope you can attend. To reserve a place, please post a check for £55, which includes lunch, payable to Richard Green, addressed to: Prof Richard Green, Imperial College at Charing Cross Hospital, Claybrook Centre, London W6 8LN.

The program is approved for 6 credits by the Royal College of Physicians.

Kimberley
09-04-2008, 08:38 AM
We have a prepuscent gurl in our support group. They are blocking puberty but not administering any SIGNIFICANT amount of cross sex hormones HRT simply because of statistics. Statistically only 25% of identified TS children go forward to identify as TS adults. That is the practical reason. The other one is the HBSOC that states no irreversible changes should be made until the child reaches the age of majority.

To start administering full HRT will render the child sterile in the case of the M2F and so is irreversible. Crystal's endo has stated that she will be able to go forward at 15 with the consent of her parents however dad who is no longer in the picture is being an ass.

It really is a contentious subject overall isnt it?

:hugs:
Kimberley

Sally24
09-04-2008, 08:07 PM
It gives me much hope for the next generation. The work they're doing in Boston has been a godsend for some of the young TGs. If they intervene before puberty they don't have to fight back the changes that hormones make in the male and female bodies. They can spend their teen years socialized as their prefered gender and developing "naturally" into the girl or guy they want to be. Other than being sterile, it gives the person a good shot at a very ordinary life.

Wire Road
09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
#1 Rule - Don't mess with Mother Nature

CaptLex
09-05-2008, 08:28 AM
You do realize we're talking about transsexuals, not crossdressers, right? In which case, Mother Nature messed with us first. :p

Wire Road
09-05-2008, 09:23 AM
You do realize we're talking about transsexuals, not crossdressers, right? In which case, Mother Nature messed with us first. :p

see above.

John
09-05-2008, 10:02 AM

perhaps you'd like to elaborate on that?

Empress Lainie
09-05-2008, 03:32 PM

Absolutely right, CaptLex.

Kimberley
09-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I dont get Wire Road's point. There is one isnt there? I too would like some elaboration. Is it that the child should not have puberty delayed or that s/he should have because nature gave him/her the wrong waterworks?

The post makes no sense at all.

:confused:
Kimmie

Sharon
09-05-2008, 06:18 PM

see above.

I suppose you also believe it is wrong to correct all other birth defects as well. :rolleyes:

marie354
09-05-2008, 09:05 PM
In my opinion, in those hormone intensive years, we go through a lot of changes at that time of life and it can be a very confusing time.
If one is sure beyond any doubt, then yes, seek professional help to alter the hormonal balance. This could, indeed be a good thing for the individuals 'seek for self.'
Only the person themselves can determine whether this is the correct road to follow.
When I was that age, way back in the 60's, no-one understood these things. Now, however, professionals have better insights into these things and may help us better understand what is best.
I'm reminded of a 'CSI' episode where 'Grissom' told of an oyster that could change it's sex at will and maybe we should all be able to do the same.

RikkiOfLA
09-06-2008, 12:04 AM
When my mother was pregnant with me, she was given DES, a synthetic estrogen that is long since off the market. Because of the DES, I grew up transgendered. Appears to demonstrate the point about fooling with mother nature, doesn't it?

But wait, DES was prescribed to prevent miscarriage, which had been the outcome of my mother's previous pregnancies. I've learned to live with being transgendered. I doubt I would have learned to live with being a miscarriage.

Rikki

Steph Butterfield
09-06-2008, 12:56 AM

Like so many of my transitioning sisters and brothers who have been so eloquent in saying, you miss a very important point Wire Road. Mother nature in all her cruelty played the most evil trick on me and other transsexuals.

So judging from your "Rule 1" I should have stayed in my hated male prison of a body for the rest of my life. Have you any idea of the numbers of suicides worldwide of transsexuals who for various reasons cannot face up to transition.

This site is about acceptance of all transgender people, including transsexuals, your statement seems to suggest you are not so accepting. There is an old saying, "Do not judge, unless you yourself wish to be judged"

Stephanie

morgan pure
09-06-2008, 05:44 PM
I used to know some ts's from the East Village who started their hormones in their teens. A lot of male muscular and bone development happens between 16 and 20+. Before hormones if I would so much as look at an axe and a pile of wood it would give me muscles. These girls had hips and natural chests (although one had implants I'm sure). They always passed.
M