PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on ear piercing

tamarav
09-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Yesterday I was in a very upscale Seattle shopping area. I was standing in line behind an older gentleman wearing a very nice linen suit. As he turned his head I noticed 3 tiny diamond studs in one ear and one small matching stud in the other ear. I leaned over, tapped him on the shoulder and told him I liked his earrings.

He turned around, took a look at me, said that he had wanted to have them done for many years and finally said "to hell with it" and got it done.

He complimented me on my perfume and we talked as the line moved forward. Turns out he is an 83 year old lawyer that works in the local area and was out on his lunch walk. We talked for a few more minutes and he left.

There don't seem to be that many people today that don't have at least one ear pierced, at least that I saw yesterday. Many very well dressed men have at least one, quit a few had more than that.

I cut a judge's hair and a number of local attorneys, only one of which does not have at least one earring (judge has one in each ear, yes a guy)

Even in my redneck hometown on Whidbey Island, I see many men of all walks of life with earrings. At a local car show a few weeks ago, I noted only four guys showing cars did not have any earrings.

At a local mall I asked the ear piercing ladies in the Claire's store what percentage of new ear piercings were on men. They thought about it for a few seconds and both ladies asked said about 50/50. When asked about the age of men getting their ears pierced, they said every age.

I am beginning to think that we stand out more if we don't have an earring or three....

Your sis,

Tami

JaydeCD
09-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Nobody cares if people have their ears pierced or not. It is such a common thing nowadays. I am always shocked by the amount of threads that are about people wondering if they should get pierced or not. Really it's not a big deal at all, more males I know are pierced than are not. It's the year 2008 maybe 30 years ago it was a big deal but not anymore.

ReneeT
09-04-2008, 09:07 AM
I would love to pierce my ears but really have a problem with the initial period during which the studs cannot be removed. If I could get past that i would be fine. Tami, i have read your post about using clear mono filament line and that seems like it would work. Can you use it at the initial piercing?

Thanks

Renee

CD Susan
09-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for posting this Tami. A few weeks ago I started a thread about having both ears pierced . The response I got was an overwhelming 100% in favor of it . I am having this done at the end of Sept. and am looking forward to it.

MJ
09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
it's no big deal nowdays. i love mine i have two sets and thinking of another set 3 in each ear. i almost had it done last week but that store would not do it but i still may find somewhere.

Joy Carter
09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Ive had doubles for over a year, and so far only two bad comments. Both from younger women. :tongueout
I have been looking for an ear cuff, but just haven't found the right one.

Alice B
09-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I have had both ears pierced for years with no negative comments and many positive. I love the choices I have in ear rings for both male and female roles.

KARI AN
09-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I had both ears done in June and love it. Women have told me how good it looks and I love the hoops now. I keep a small set of black studs in most of the time and no one says anything about having them only positive reaction to them.

darla_g
09-04-2008, 12:46 PM
i only pierce mine when i am planning on dressing for a while. the rest of the time i don't really care to have pierced ears.

Been doing this for years... no adverse effects. i swear everyone makes such a big deal about this

Karren H
09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Well call me the contrarian.. Like your surprised? :).

and I don't mind nedles or what ever but I'm not a big fan of putting hole in things where holes weren't originally!! The old "If Mr Ford had intended his flat head 8 to have 7 head bolts instead of 8 he would have designed it that way"...

That and the fact I've got a sweet collection of vintage clip-on... I'll pass thanks!!

RavenAndrea
09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
I have single piercings in both ears so I can wear all sorts of earrings - they are a larger gauge so it makes it easy to hook up all sorts of hoops without insertion problems. I also love my navel piercing - I have almost as much jewelry for my navel as I have for my ears.

Andrea

Bootsiegalore
09-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks for posting this Tami. A few weeks ago I started a thread about having both ears pierced . The response I got was an overwhelming 100% in favor of it . I am having this done at the end of Sept. and am looking forward to it.

YAY Susan! I got mine pierced about 3 years ago. I wear diamond studs or these little hoops with diamonds all around them. No one has EVER said anything to me in guy mode. Of course I am pretty outrageous and I have a BIG mouth (foul most times) so if any one did want to say something they may be afraid of my response......

Tara

tricia_uktv
09-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I got both ears pierced a month ago. The studs are still in and I turn them all the time (actually its getting a habit like playing with my rings). I got a few comments to start with but now everybody is used to them. As Tami says, its not a big deal.

Charleen
09-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Did mine over 2 years ago. Love it. I wear filigreed hoops and nothing has been said in the 2 years.

paulaN
09-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Nobody cares you say. Well my wife cares,that's why mine are not pierced. That reminds me I have to work on her some more. cuz one of these days.

wendy68
09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
My birthday is in december and lm planning on asking my wife if getting my ears done can be my present. Shes been fairly supportive of my cding since I told her last april, but I really dont know what her answer will be. Im hopeful but at the same time respectful of her---wendy

shauna 9
09-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I pierced my left ear when I was a teenager. two years ago I pierced my right ear. During the day I would remove the piercing from my right ear . When I would return from work I would wear my ear rings all night long or when I was off work.

bah-bah-bobbie
09-05-2008, 01:46 AM
Well call me the contrarian.. Like your surprised? :).

and I don't mind nedles or what ever but I'm not a big fan of putting hole in things where holes weren't originally!! The old "If Mr Ford had intended his flat head 8 to have 7 head bolts instead of 8 he would have designed it that way"...

That and the fact I've got a sweet collection of vintage clip-on... I'll pass thanks!!

TESTIFY SISTER!! I've had chunks of metal run through me several times. A couple required stitches. The thought of a PERMANENT hole in me, especially if its deliberately placed does not appeal. How does the saying go? I need an earing like I need a hole in the head.

As for those of you who are not wimps like I am, I can only repeat it's not a big deal anymore. In fact, from what I see lack of piercings (and tattoos for that matter) is a bigger statement of individuality and social rebellion. So go for it and add to ways to enhance and accent your natural beauty.

Heres a thought. For years men with pierced ears were taboo. Then they became so mainstream that the style of earings had to change. One guy I work with has something....you remember old cartoons when the charachters were visiting some tropical island and the village chief had a big bone on his nose? The cresent shape pointed on both ends thing? This guy has something similar in both ears. Another one has the hoops that enlarge the lobe from the inside. He's up to almost 3/4 inch now. The only other noteworthy guy, if the diamonds were real he would have a good 12 to 1600 dollars worth of stone side view mirrors. I always knew he had rocks in his head hahahahahahahah. Anyway, to keep off the beaten path we wear womens earings. Then when guys wearing womens earings loses it's shock value we wear frilly blouses to compliment our earings. It's only a matter of time before the rest is seen as statements of individuality and not freaky. For years the question has been asked why can't people accept a guy in a dress? Maybe we should start from the other side and work our way down. But then if they start making dresses for guys, will it be fun anymore?

Rashell StClaire
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
I have the cartilage at the top of my left ear peirced my wife loves it, but she won't let me get the bottom of my ears done work that one out.

Christen3042
09-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Got both my earlobes pierced a month ago. Got teaseed about it once or twice from a friend who LOVES to tease anyone he can (all in good fun), but for the most part nothing's been said at all. Replaced the original 18 ga captive hoops with 14 ga Blue Zircon studs after four weeks. I love 'em.

rebekahm
09-05-2008, 09:57 AM
I got mine pierced several weeks ago and have 3mm ball posts in while healing. I just went about my business and had only two male friends say anything which amounted to "When did you get your ears pierced?" My response was "A few weeks ago." And that was it. The funny thing is these are two guys I played organized sports with over the years and thought if anyone was going to make an issue it would be these two.

If I had known it was such a non-issue (and gotten over my own fear of ridicule) I would have done this years ago.

Which is why most of the things we wish to do - hair removal, pierced ears, cleaned brows and such will most likely not generate too many comments. Most people are wrapped up in their own life and own issues to worry about such minor things about others.