PDA

View Full Version : Watching mother apply make-up

heathr1
09-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Who else did this while young?

My mother often chatted with me while she stood at the mirror applying it.

TommiTN
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
I did when I was very young. As I got older Mom thought it was weird and wouldn't let me watch anymore.

heathr1
09-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I also remember one evening when I was about 16.

She had come back from a make-up party at a friend's house where she had a make-over and she asked what I thought of her make-up looks.

Joy Carter
09-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I was always interested in her make up. Them smells were just so sweet. The lipstick in the fifties tasted great. I'm sure it must have been made of some kind of endangered, species, that's why it changed.

Donna tv
09-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Ditto for me too. I was just facsinated with my Mom's lipstick. I always hopped that 1 day she would ask me if I would like to put some on. She never did but wow what a secret we would have had between us.

Anna the Dub
09-09-2008, 02:37 PM
One of my earliest memories is watching my Ma put her make up on. I was fascinated, especially with the lipstick. After she was finished applying it, I wanted a go, and she wouldn't let me. I was a very upset 3 yr old.

Teddie
09-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Oh yes. I can remember laying on my parents bed while my mother got ready to go out. I loved watching her apply her make up.

chrissietoo
09-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Oh yes. I can remember laying on my parents bed while my mother got ready to go out. I loved watching her apply her make up.

Yes, exactly!! Me too! They had a large bedroom with a vanity and all that, and I would always hang around when she was getting ready.

Later, in my early teens, I used to watch my friend's sister get ready for her waitress job after school. I became totally entranced then, and she loved the attention. She'd take a half and hour or more, and we'd talk while she did her hair, eyes, lips....even shaved her legs sometimes. I was so happy with her there in her bathroom!
:o

deja true
09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
...I'm sure it must have been made of some kind of endangered, species, that's why it changed.

As a matter of fact it was. Mostly outlawed now, but whale blubber was a main ingredient in many cosmetics before the 1960's.

Um...pearly shimmery stuff in some lipsticks and eyeshadows is made of ground fish scales...

Sorry!

:eek:

Christinedreamer
09-10-2008, 02:56 PM
The glitter is pulverized fish scales and the red dye is crushed beetles. The browns and blacks in makeup come from various combinations of iron, and iron oxide--rust.

To think we pay top dollar for rust!

trannie T
09-10-2008, 04:25 PM
I often watched my mother put on her full makeup. It took her all of five seconds, all she ever wore was lipstick. I had to learn elsewhere.

Jaclyn NM
09-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I loved watching my mother apply her makeup, especially her lipstick. If I could, I would wear makeup every day.

Deborah Jane
09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I used to love watching my mum doing her makeup, i also used to find any excuse to watch my ex wife doing hers too!!
It,s the easiest way to learn sometimes!!

To think we pay top dollar for rust!

We aren,t the only ones....You should see the cars some people buy :doh:

Jilmac
09-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I didn't watch my mom do her makeup but I did watch my sisters and they always made it look so easy. The one I watched the most though, was my wife. It was almost a ritual for her. Oh how I wish she would have been supportive of my dressing. I would have loved it for her to give me pointers because she was so good at it. But alas, I no longer have her so I have to fend for myself. After all the times watching her, I still can't get it right.:sad:

Kate Simmons
09-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Well, all my Mom ever wore was lipstick and that was only when she and Dad went out or she went to church. I actually learned how to apply makeup by watching my wife.:)