PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: SCC spy (for Winnipeg convention)

sandra-leigh
09-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I wonder if one or two people going to Southern Comfort would mind taking some notes for me? Of what works well, of what doesn't? And (of especial interest to me), of what kind of people are being somewhat "left out" in the programming?

Last night my local Winnipeg club decided to begin work on a convention in Winnipeg in 2010 (i.e,, standard lead time of about a year), and I somehow ended up chair of the convention committee :o

When I went to a Canadian convention earlier this year, I noticed that although the host club was nominally for CDs, TG, and TS, that their convention programming mostly ignored TG, TS, and had no programming at all for family and friends. There was, at that particular convention, no equivalent of the "GG Forum" or the "Loved Ones" section, no discussion of sexuality, and not even a hint of transmasculine.

I have hopes of putting together something more inclusive; and to do that it would help if someone could take notes at SCC about who or what topics are being implicitly excluded.

Thank you

DeeInGeorgia
09-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I would suggest you go to the SCC page and look at the list of seminars.

My opinion is that the seminars oriented towards the casual CDer are ones like trying to look more feminine. Many of the seminars are oriented more towards the full time transgender person, such as transitions, surgeries, job interviewing as the opposite sex.

Now it probably is because I am a gender queer crossdresser, I thought that SCC is light on substantative seminars for the casual crossdresser, so I created my own, and it was approved.

Dee

deja true
09-11-2008, 06:42 AM
'N Tess, hunny...you won't need "spies"...

With all the blabbermouths from here going, like me and Joanne07 and Suzy and TXKimmie, you just know that ther'll be lots of threads about the experience.

Thanks for reminder, though, about looking out for ways to help you organize your first conference in the Frozen North. I'm sure we'll all do that.

Are any of our men going? I don't think I've seen any on the list in Suzy H's long running SCC thread...

Might I suggest that you sign up on the SCC Lounge group in Yahoo? A lot of info is passed back and forth there about the conference, and there are quite a few men and trans women there that post regularly, including several of the organizer and volunteer folks. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scclounge/

LisaElizabeth
09-11-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm just going to throw this out as an idea......
Why don't you e-mail Chi-triess (Be-All), Fall Harvest, SCC and any other group that has had or are planning a 'T' convention?
From meeting some of these girls, I think they would be MORE than happy to send you a list of seminars and some of the 'Do's and Dont's' from their past experiences.
It seems to me that most of the girls that plan these functions have put in a lot of time over the years and you might benefit from thier expertise without having to resort to 'spys' or trying to 'reinvent the wheel' on your own.
I mean, how much does an e-mail cost? If you don't get a reply, you will still have all the posts fro the girls going to SCC, so what is there to lose?
Hugs,
Lisa E