PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for your bumper stickers

Tommie Rae
09-12-2008, 12:38 PM
So I was driving to Sephora yesterday to get some more make-up. I had a little bit of make-up on, a slightly femme blouse, necklace, pants, and femme shoes. Even when I try I don't look very femme but I really don't care. At a traffic light some guy at least 10 years older than me - and I'm old - is looking at me and he rolls down his window, so I roll down mine. Why? Because I didn't even think about the fact that I was going for a female look. Which apparently I did not achieve. Because he asks me:
"Are you really a Vietnam veteran?"
OK, let me explain. I made a bumper sticker for my Jeep that says "Vietnam Vet for Obama." And I'm not trying to be political here, just telling the story. But that's not all. I also have on the sticker images of my medals from Vietnam. And since someone is going to ask, they are: Vietnam Service Medal, Commendation Medal for Valor, Air Medal, Purple Heart, and Combat Infantryman Badge. It didn't occur to me that someone would chat me up while I'm trying to get the girl look going.
So I replied "Yes."
And he says: Where were you?"
I reply "1st Cavalry Division."
He asks "Where in Vietnam?"
And I say "Central Highlands."
He nods his head, gives me the thumbs up and goes on his merry way.
It was only afterwards that I wondered if it even registered on him that I did not look like a typical Vietnam vet. But I'm getting to the point that it really doesn't bother me what people think. And the sales associates at Sephora love it when I come in because I am open and honest about what I do. I don't do it very well, and I am not as open as I would like to be to the rest of the world, but those stores that listen to me and treat me with respect and understanding get my repeat business.
The moral of this story is this: if you want to be in stealth mode then scrub your car of anything that might bring you unwanted attention. But if you are OK with someone talking to you while you are en femme and in your car, then be prepared for that when anything on your vehicle might unintentionally invite a conversation from a stranger or an acquaintance.

PamelaTX
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Please don't remove your bumper sticker. You earned those medals, and you've earned the right to dress the way you please.

--A fellow veteran.

Eileen
09-12-2008, 01:13 PM
You can be proud of your medals and of who you are!

Eileen

adelle
09-12-2008, 01:19 PM
dont remove be proud and stand tall sis you deserved it:drink:

CD Susan
09-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi Foothill, I too am a Vietnam era veteran and share your pride in the contributions and sacrifices we made for our country. U.S Navy 1967 - 1971 here.

Shelly Preston
09-12-2008, 02:28 PM
While I understand being proud of who you are

I suggest those thiinking of going out consider if their car will out them ??

sissystephanie
09-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Guess I am much older then you. I am a Korean War veteran, Navy. Like you I have reached a point where I don't really care what people think of how I dress. Since my beloved wife passed away 3 years ago, I no longer try to pass. Very bad with wigs and makeup, she did it for me!!

But I do wear feminine clothing most of the time, and go just about everywhere dressed that way. The ladies at my nail salon love to see me come in wearing a skirt, or whatever. I talk to them and lady customers like any other lady. I always get a mnaicure and pedicure, pink fingers and usually red toes. I have had many customers ask me what color red I had on mt toes, and then tell their tech they wanted the same color!

Don't agree with your politics, but certainly support your right to express them. Thank you, and all the other vets, for your service to our great country!!

Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

harmony
09-12-2008, 03:04 PM
thank you for your contribution to preserve our freedom and the defeat of communism!!
there are two stickers on the back of my car-one advertising that i am using biodiesel-making my contribution towards energy independance and another one which is the austrian double eagle declaring myself as a monarchist-i am an austrian princess after all!!
i am actually disappointed in how few people engage me in conversation on account of them even when i am out en femme!
after all - i am out presenting myself en femme and not to hide!!

Nicole Erin
09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Vietnam vet.
Yes you have earned every right to dress and express how you wish.

I once saw tis bumper sticker and you may be interested -
"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

As I was not born til the mid 70's I was not there. I am one of the protected.

MargoLE
09-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Cars may out you but my SO drives my car and I her's. So you always have an out. Remember that "My other car..." bumper sticker.

Angie G
09-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I couldn't get in Medical reasons I salute you and every vet on this site As fer as I'm concerned you have earned the right to do what ever you choose hun. You get 2 hugs :hugs::hugs: hun
Angie

jennifer24
09-12-2008, 08:04 PM
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]STAND TALL.
YOU FOUGHT FOR THIS COUNTRY SO JUST LIVE YOU`RE LIFE LIKE YOU WANT TO.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

tamarav
09-12-2008, 08:14 PM
I am in awe of anyone that received a CIB. I was in the Artillary in I Corp on the DMZ, but the CIB guys had much bigger balls than any of us. Even my Purple Hearts are smaller than yours..... Very proud of you.

Your sis,

Tami

carolinoakland
09-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I agree, don't ever take those medals off. You deserve all our respect, as do all veterans. Carol

Sally24
09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Enjoy your freedom.....you fought for it.

another vet.

Sarasometimes
09-12-2008, 10:33 PM
So I was driving to Sephora yesterday to get some more make-up. I had a little bit of make-up on, a slightly femme blouse, necklace, pants, and femme shoes. Even when I try I don't look very femme but I really don't care. At a traffic light some guy at least 10 years older than me - and I'm old - is looking at me and he rolls down his window, so I roll down mine. Why? Because I didn't even think about the fact that I was going for a female look. Which apparently I did not achieve. Because he asks me:
"Are you really a Vietnam veteran?"
OK, let me explain. I made a bumper sticker for my Jeep that says "Vietnam Vet for Obama." And I'm not trying to be political here, just telling the story. But that's not all. I also have on the sticker images of my medals from Vietnam. And since someone is going to ask, they are: Vietnam Service Medal, Commendation Medal for Valor, Air Medal, Purple Heart, and Combat Infantryman Badge. It didn't occur to me that someone would chat me up while I'm trying to get the girl look going.
So I replied "Yes."
And he says: Where were you?"
I reply "1st Cavalry Division."
He asks "Where in Vietnam?"
And I say "Central Highlands."
He nods his head, gives me the thumbs up and goes on his merry way.
It was only afterwards that I wondered if it even registered on him that I did not look like a typical Vietnam vet. But I'm getting to the point that it really doesn't bother me what people think. And the sales associates at Sephora love it when I come in because I am open and honest about what I do. I don't do it very well, and I am not as open as I would like to be to the rest of the world, but those stores that listen to me and treat me with respect and understanding get my repeat business.
The moral of this story is this: if you want to be in stealth mode then scrub your car of anything that might bring you unwanted attention. But if you are OK with someone talking to you while you are en femme and in your car, then be prepared for that when anything on your vehicle might unintentionally invite a conversation from a stranger or an acquaintance.

Thank you so much for serving! You should feel proud!

Tina B.
09-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Foothill, proud to have you with us, you will find a lot of old GI's among us, but of course not all of us have your collection of medals! Thanks to guys like you, we all have the right to wear what we please, at least legally!
Tina B.

Lora Olivia
09-12-2008, 10:50 PM
I was lucky enough in never having to fight in any of our armed conflicts, but daddy was a WW2 paratrooper that jumped on D-day. I give my thanks to you as I did to him and any other service man or woman. THANK YOU all and cheers:drink:

ilovelingerie
09-13-2008, 01:21 AM
TO ALL WHO SERVED: THANK YOU ALL FOR OUR FREEDOMS

Dress as You Wish

Enjoy

You Earned IT ALL for ALL of US

Thank You ALL Again

:drink::drink::drink::daydreaming::heehee::o:)

Raychel
09-13-2008, 02:17 AM
I have to aggree with the others, You fought for your country, You should display the medals and whatever bumper stickers you like with honor. And you should get the respect that you deserve, no matter how you are dressed, or how you look. :worship::worship:

Karen Francis
09-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I know several Vietnam vets who are crossdressers. Some like to keep those worlds completely separate, one I know gives talks to college groups while dressed and details his 2 tours as a Marine with pride.

You have a special place in my mind, willing to accept all that life has put to you, and have your head in the right place. And your word to the wise is worthwhile.

bridget thronton
09-13-2008, 03:13 PM
All Viet Nam vets have my respect and gratitude for their service to our country

TerriM
09-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Vietnam Vet here 67-68. God Bless you and your bumper stickers!

Terri

bobbie_1048
09-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Foothill, proud to have you with us, you will find a lot of old GI's among us, but of course not all of us have your collection of medals! Thanks to guys like you, we all have the right to wear what we please, at least legally!
Tina B.

Enjoy your freedom.....you fought for it.

another vet.

Welcome home Foothill :thumbsup:

Tracii G
09-13-2008, 06:17 PM
V.Vet here too.
P co. 75th Infantry(Rangers) 101 Airborne.3 tours 69-71.
Cam Lo area.Made many trips into the Ashau,Roung and Elephant valleys.
Got drilled a few times but declined the PH's.I told the C.O.I'm still in the hunt give em' to someone headed home.
Don't have any bumper stickers but I do wear my recondo school ball cap some times.

Jocelyn Renee
09-14-2008, 05:33 PM
I stand in awe of all those who have served. Display your medals proudly and dress the way you want - you certainly earned that freedom.

Amy Hepker
09-14-2008, 05:56 PM
I am proud of who I am all the time now I am out and about. I don't think a lot of people really care, if they are willing to talk to you and be sensable about it and not make fun of you I would not worry. I get laughed at all the time at work, you know what, I laugh with them. I don't care what they think as long as I am happy. Most guys cannot figure out why I have all the ladies at work talking to me now.

TxKimberly
09-14-2008, 08:22 PM
From yet another vet - it would be a cold day in hell before I pulled those bumper stickers off! You earned them, you paid for them - they should stay!

I also offer my thanks to you and the others here that have served their country when it called.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3220/2857446383_a42b7b4cce.jpg

Tracii G
09-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Foothill you know you may have hauled my ass out of the jungle more than once. 1st Cav guys save our asses a lot I thank you.
The sound of a Huey coming in was music to my ears.

erickka
09-15-2008, 07:02 AM
A big salute to all of our Veterans. We all owe you a heap big bunch of thanks for all you have done, and are still doing to allow us to do the things we do, and to be who we want to be. God bless you all.

valenstein
09-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I like where this thread went. I never served, but I am very proud of my Dad (Vietnam Navy Medic).

And proud of all of you, and the people who did not come home.

Kate Lynn
09-15-2008, 09:32 AM
there are so many in this country who forget,their freedom was paid for with the blood and the lives of the brave,I'm a viet nam combat veteran and peace protestors will never get it,their right to protest was very expensive.

Tracii G
09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
A medics job has to be the hardest job in a combat stuation if you were with a large group.
I only had 4 people in my team and we all had to be the medic if need be.

darla_g
09-16-2008, 12:29 AM
You know i agree with Ivy. i have never served but have worked in a variety of roles where i have worked with a variety of people in the service over the years. I have the utmost respect for what you have done and have sacrificed. Most of all with our recent conflicts it is good to see that people treat returning servicemen with respect and understanding.

Did anyone ever dress when they were in the service? just curious. maybe some details too?

Desiree2bababe
09-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for serving!

Fab Karen
09-16-2008, 04:21 PM
While someone being a veteran is admirable, the point of the story was a bumpersticker that called attention to her. There's no need to drag this down into a political discussion. WMD of whatever country have nothing to do with it. And when you damn all peaceful protestors with a broad brush you are showing your ignorance.

Tracii G
09-16-2008, 05:43 PM
I do believe in the right to peaceful protest.

TxKimberly
09-18-2008, 09:40 PM
While someone being a veteran is admirable, the point of the story was a bumpersticker that called attention to her. There's no need to drag this down into a political discussion. WMD of whatever country have nothing to do with it. And when you damn all peaceful protestors with a broad brush you are showing your ignorance.

LOL Far as I'm concerned, one of the reasons that I and others served in the Military was to make damn sure that our citizens KEPT the freedom to protest (among many other freedoms). Of course I would hope that those protesters are decent enough to go after the politicians that make the decisions and leave alone the soldiers that are doing their duty at great personal sacrifice.

Alex!
09-18-2008, 09:49 PM
What a neat story.

I'm a Desert Storm vet and proudly display my Vets for Obama sticker on my car, even though that could easily out me, come to think of it :doh:

Fab Karen
09-20-2008, 03:37 AM
Of course I would hope that those protesters are decent enough to go after the politicians that make the decisions and leave alone the soldiers that are doing their duty at great personal sacrifice.
If you talked to such people you'd find that to be the case.

A salute to the bravery of Jessica Lynch, a true patriot.

curiouslooker
09-20-2008, 10:54 AM
I go places all the time that I don't "look the part". :) Then I wonder how many other folks there feel like they don't look the part.

My thoughts, to h@11 with anyone who doesn't think you belong or makes you feel that way.