PDA

View Full Version : Need some help here

Cathytg
09-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I am spending the weekend alone since my wife is out of state and her best friend, who is our landlady for the past few months, is also out of state. So, this is a great weekend to dress and go out into the world which I started to do this morning. Instead of simply getting into our van and driving off, I decided to look for a tool in it. Not too smart. The next door neighbor, who is a friend of all of us, walked by to say hello to me. She jumped back and laughed and said "I'm sorry, I thought you were my neighbor." And she simply walked away and got into her car. Since this is Connecticut and I have the only Arizona license plates for miles, she must have realized that the person she saw was in my van.

So, since I am something of a closet CD due to the awkwardness of our situation right now - landlady does not know - I have a problem. Do I just let it go and hope that the neighbor will not speak of it (unlikely)? Do I tell her the truth anyway? Do I say that she met my friend Cathy even though we are nearly 3000 miles away from friends and family? The real issue is the landlady who has been my wife's dearest friend for almost 20 years and whose reaction I cannot predict.

What would you suggest?

AllieSF
09-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Tough one. I think it may be best to let it be for awhile and not say anything. When asked don't respond immediately. Ask what day it was (gaining time to think) and then say it was a friend that came to visit, and then say no more. As good lawyers always say when preparing a client for a trial, answer yes, or no, and do NOT volunteer any additional information that always seems to find a way to come back and haunt us. Good luck.

Jenna Lynne
09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
What would you suggest?
Hit her with the monkey wrench and bury her under the porch.

Or ... plan ahead. What will you say if your landlady says X or Y? What will you say if your wife says that your landlady said X or Y?

Can you talk to your wife and ask her advice? Does she know the neighbor? She might be able to suggest a smart way to head off trouble.

***Jenna Lynne***

jamie1
09-13-2008, 07:36 PM
let it go she may be too uncomfortable to bring it up.

TommiTN
09-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Let sleeping dogs lie. Just be prepared to answer if need be.

carhill2mn
09-13-2008, 08:01 PM
My advice would be to not say anything until and unless you are forced to.

Tina B.
09-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Tell them the lady must be crazy, maybe she was on the wrong block, and if all else fails, fall back on the old, it ain't me, it just looked like me!
Good luck with what ever happens.
Tina B.

TxKimberly
09-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I'd say you should just relax and let it ride. You are making an assumption. You are assuming that she noted the plates - most people wouldn't.

Sallee
09-14-2008, 08:00 PM
The consensus seems to be let it ride If it does come up deny. My bet is nothing will be said the neighbor is just as uncomfortable as you were.

CD Susan
09-14-2008, 08:05 PM
I too would just let it ride and say nothing. Something similar happened to me once and nothing was ever said about it.