PDA

View Full Version : Full time?

Carin
09-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Someone asked me the other day is I was "Full time". My immediate response was No!, I'm a dad with a job etc., I can't do that. But then I had to think about. I guess I am approaching full time. Not as a woman, or even full time dressing as a woman. That is not my goal or desire. But as a fluid-gendered transgendered person, yes. I am much less conscious about wearing jewellery or makeup at home and when I go out. My family understands and for the most part is comfortable with how I dress and express my Self. Some will go out with me in a fully feminine presentation. Some prefer only a subtle style. I am as happy to be called sir or Ma'am. Outside our immediate neighborhood, I am quite comfortable to be fully feminine (female presentation), or not. I have shared my marital situation (recently separated) with friends and acquaintances, and follow it quickly with 'the rest if the story' (being tg).

I am done with hiding under a rock. Not that I want to broadcast it, or push it on everyone. I do prefer a more managed gradual approach. But I have a much clearer understanding of myself, and with that I am no longer afraid to share it. All with positive reactions too.

Who am I.
My sexual identity is male. My gender identity is neither male for female. "Am I a man or a woman?" can not be answered because the question is too broad, but the closest answer is 'neither'. As I became more clear to myself, and respected myself for it, I was troubled with the lack of respect that is prevalent in our culture. Then I found information about the Native American Two Spirit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit) people. Good enough, some (cultures) gets it, and in a profoundly respectful way. There are other cultuires too that get it or did at one time.

In another post here, someone referred me to the book Gender Outlaws (http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=yyYFckiB-tkC&dq=Gender+outlaws&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=zopOvCjWBy&sig=JFhwFFT4dIWMFcZTbHdyRuw2vmw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=2&ct=result), by Kate Bornstein. Well worth reading, this book articulated a lot of how I felt but was not able to articulate, even to myself. When we reject the bipolar gender system, we often feel lost in the void. I did. The comments one hears here about "Just be yourself", and "Forget about labels" did not satisfy me. They did not remove that feeling of being lost. That book removed the feeling of being lost. In the way that book describes Gender Outlaws, I fit. Not by definition of gender, or even definition of society. Just by definition of self. THAT is what I was looking for. You may not need it. I did.

This is not to say that "I have arrived". Good grief no, the journey still looms out there. I do not fear it nor need to fight it anymore. I can enjoy it, with whatever the ups and downs that will inevitably arise. Life has and will present more challenges. There is more of ME there now to deal with those.

:hugs: to you all.

Tracii G
09-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Two spirit people are very prevelent in native American lore.
I have been working with a native American freind and he has been teaching me to use my spirit guide to inhance my life force.
I know it sounds hoaky but the native American people were very intelligent.
I have studied Chinese and Japanese martial arts and those people were in tune with harnessing inner energy as well.
Thought equals energy,energy creates action.
I try my best to experience all things and listen and learn.
Just be yourself.Great post for thought.

Kate Simmons
09-15-2008, 03:31 AM
I pretty much feel the same way Carin. It's not easy being who we are by any means. There is a reason for it, however. Like yourself, I was never satisfied why I felt this way and I had to find out why. What I discovered was that crossdressing is the least of it but it does allow us to get in touch with who we are and be in control of our own destiny. It's an ongoing process and every day can be an adventure in itself sometimes. I do realize it's a gift that many do not possess. How we use this gift depends a lot on us and our outlook. In the overall scheme of things who we are and what we do does make a difference more than we may think.

What it comes down to mostly is just being a person but a person with a clear purpose and goal. Once we reach that point not only is it easier being ourselves but also easier demonstrating to others that it is a viable option for living. In the end, it's only as easy or as difficult as we ourselves make it.:)

vikki2020
09-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Excellent thoughts, Carin.I find myself leaning in the same direction lately,and becoming more and more comfortable that this is who I am.Instead of bouncing back and forth, I like it somewhere in the middle!

Charlena
09-15-2008, 07:58 AM
I have been following the Native American path for several years now. On my first outing dressed, my wife and I went for a picnic at the forestry. Upon leaving we came upon a deer who stood not ten feet from the car, the deer are not tame here. She looked me right in the eye for probadly two minutes and slowly wandered off. I believe my animal guide showed herself to me that day. Some may think I'm crazy but this is what I believe.

Jocelyn Renee
09-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Wonderful thoughts Carin. I too feel I'm neither male nor female; I'm something else. I'm not sure I completely understand why I feel this way, but I have made peace with it and have learned to embrace my true nature.

Tracii G
09-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Facinating the way animal know things Charlena.

Charlena
09-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Deer are believed to be the gentle people, cautious, caring, feminine by nature When i looked up the deer in my NA books it tells me that I need to accept and love myself for who I am and to deal with problems with love and compassion and not by force, which is pretty much my nature except the accepting of myself that i need to work on. Maybe the deer was telling me to not be afraid, come on out.

Karren H
09-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Yeah!!! I'm full time me.. What ever that may be... Tends to change from day to day...